Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Zalraki View Post
    It's surprising how long this thread has been going on since there is no discussion to be found here.

OP and his supporters only want to hear "Yes, you are absolutely right". Any other response and you'll be labelled as a racist. The cancel culture and it's affiliates are pretty much as intolerant as any other extremist group out there.

They are not open to exchanging viewpoints or arguments and will pull the racist card on anyone who does not conform to their ideology. They are basically the virtual version of terrorists. You either do what they do and think what they think or you'll be met with extreme force to silence you forever.
    "Yeah if you're so tolerant why don't you tolerate my shitty racist views?" - This old chestnut, geez. That's not how it works chief.

There can be no tolerance for racism, period. The pro-Raiku/Swapxy replies haven't been worth going deeper into because the level of arguments have been "b-b-b-but what if the blacks said this and that" or "lighten up, it's just boys being boys in private chat" and "it's just words stop giving them power" etc. bullshit completely dodging the issue.

"Basically virtual version of terrorists", what the fuck are you smoking in your crackpipe?

Quote Originally Posted by Lubefist View Post
    Another white boy downplaying how serious issue racism is, more news at 11.
    I like how you have already assumed his race (and honestly that this person is male too) just according to 1 sentence...
    It is totally not racist what you've just done here, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Lubefist View Post
    "Yeah if you're so tolerant why don't you tolerate my shitty racist views?" - This old chestnut, geez. That's not how it works chief.

There can be no tolerance for racism, period. The pro-Raiku/Swapxy replies haven't been worth going deeper into because the level of arguments have been "b-b-b-but what if the blacks said this and that" or "lighten up, it's just boys being boys in private chat" and "it's just words stop giving them power" etc. bullshit completely dodging the issue.

"Basically virtual version of terrorists", what the fuck are you smoking in your crackpipe?
    Thanks for proving my point to the letter. Any other opinion in this thread that doesn't match your view point is "bullshit completely dodging the issue". That does not leave any room for rational discussion and will never convince people to become less racist, it will just make them hide it more. While that would make day to day life more calm, it would not resolve the underlying issues.

7+ Year Old Account
    Wasn't the vid from two years ago? I'd like to think people can change and finding out some stuff they did quite some time ago isn't always representative of who they are now. Also I didn't hear the audio so that might make a difference, just was too lazy to go look for it.

Guess blizzard thinks otherwise, like they had to take action of course but a perma seems a bit much. Also one thing I'll never understand to this day is why colored people use the word themselves, if it's THAT bad maybe we should stop using the word all togheter. Some songs are literally that word being spammed.

Reminds me of the scandal around the Guardian of the galaxy director that got fired for shit he did years ago. They do learn quick that in a public position it's a bad idea to do stuff like that, unfortunate that they usually only get one chance. I bet most people in life have done something stupid/bad whatever, maybe not saying the n-word but we are all not perfect and people should be given the chance to change.

If we stop believing in the fact that people can why do we even have jails(and quite short sentences in EU) might just as well give the death sentence. When you shun people from society it usually makes them even more fanatic in the things they're currently doing. It's just that in this day and age everything is recorded and the masses like to point out mistakes in others.

Quote Originally Posted by Rascal Bob View Post
    Wasn't the vid from two years ago? I'd like to think people can change and finding out some stuff they did quite some time ago isn't always representative of who they are now. Also I didn't hear the audio so that might make a difference, just was too lazy to go look for it.

Guess blizzard thinks otherwise, like they had to take action of course but a perma seems a bit much. Also one thing I'll never understand to this day is why colored people use the word themselves, if it's THAT bad maybe we should stop using the word all togheter. Some songs are literally that word being spammed.

Reminds me of the scandal around the Guardian of the galaxy director that got fired for shit he did years ago. They do learn quick that in a public position it's a bad idea to do stuff like that, unfortunate that they usually only get one chance. I bet most people in life have done something stupid/bad whatever, maybe not saying the n-word but we are all not perfect and people should be given the chance to change.

If we stop believing in the fact that people can why do we even have jails(and quite short sentences in EU) might just as well give the death sentence. When you shun people from society it usually makes them even more fanatic in the things they're currently doing. It's just that in this day and age everything is recorded and the masses like to point out mistakes in others.
    Mate. 2018 wasn't exactly lifetime ago with different atmosphere. If they would dig over 10 year old comments what people said when they were stupid teenagers, that would be whole other issue. Then of course people should be benefit of doubt and space for personal growth.

Canceling someone outright for shit they did decade ago is bullshit and totally wrong approach, people fuck up, say stupid shit that might hold whole different weight today that it did back then but they should be given a chance to correct themselves.

BUT, if you drop n-bombs in 2018 and get outed for it and your first reaction is to start pointing fingers at some shady blackmailers who leaked the vods you can go fuck yourself in my books.

Sad how ridiculously sensitive people have become, to the point that standard trash talk gets a person banned. I and pretty much everyone I know have said absolutely ridiculous raunchy and vulgar things to opponents when playing games, but it was all in good fun and nobody took it so personally like they do now. I seriously doubt he is actually racist, and the fact that they got banned for what they do on their own stream on their own time is pretty pathetic.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaqthefat View Post
    I don't think not being upset by the word, assuming the person is black, means they are ignorant of the meaning of the word. Meanings behind things change, a good example would be the swastika. That symbol used to mean a very different thing, but now represents something horrible. I believe that this word underwent a similar transition, the most common use of the word is used as shock factor because of how many people are against the word. I have no doubt that many of them are aware of that words meaning, but are past the point of that having impact on them. Similar to any other swear word, there would be many people going around over using words like "fuck", "shit", or "bitch" if kids weren't shunned away from these words as children. The only difference is that the N-word has a much darker history than these other words.
    So the problem is that changing a symbol from being one of vitriolic hate to one which isn't is a lot more difficult than the reverse. There's essentially nothing contentious with adopting benevolent or otherwise non-objectionable symbols, as the symbols are at worst going to be met with indifference. It's only when adopting symbols which have taken on negative meanings when the situation becomes a lot more contentious.

Take, for example, the Confederate Flag. Regardless of what people want to argue, the fact is that the flag is a symbol of a separatist movement which fought for their economic right to own and use slaves. Recently people have wanted to start "taking back" the flag, essentially tying it back to their history and saying it is representative of a shared, southern subculture in the United States; however, problems arise when you try and contextualize this. In-context, the history that it represents is contemptable and is not worth celebrating, and there is not really an apparent reason for this flag to ever be used other than people want to use this flag.

Comparing this to something like the Swastika, this is a bit of a different situation. The meaning of the symbol hasn't actually changed and is still used widely; however, in Western cultures, because of our rather ethno-centric view of the world, we can't readily identify that people who use this symbol for religious reasons as not being Nazis. It's simply not something we've been socialized to expect. There is a case in which people from the various religions who use the symbol could try and "reclaim" it within Western cultures, though this would be met with skepticism, as it probably should be, and would take a long time to adopt.

Moving back to the N-word, and really any racially charged language, this sort-of falls closer into the category of the Confederate Flag. There's not actually a positive or benevolent meaning to the bastardization of the Spanish word negro, as it was adapted with the sole purpose of being a method of persecute black people. The question sort-of becomes a situation in which it seems like life is being breathed into something which should instead be left to rot. That said, the word has partially been reclaimed by some parts of the global community, such as those who use the soft 'a', though this is sort of a different because typically the people reclaiming the symbol are black people - the people who it was targeted against - though it's no less contentious due to the history of the word.
    Sylvanas didn't even win the popular vote, she was elected by an indirect election of representatives. #NotMyWarchief

Also since alot of people seem like they haven't bothered checking the vod before having strong defensive opinions about it, here's atleast one.

https://twitter.com/dominiquegodx/st...998108672?s=20

10+ Year Old Account
    never heard of them and wont miss them. they can keep that indefinite ban, they earned it.

Quote Originally Posted by Uggorthaholy View Post
    Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.

This is so stupid. Why do people still use this word? Not even all black people agree on using it themselves. It is just way to loaded.

JUST DON'T SAY IT!

If you did. And get shit for it, apologize. Nearly everyone who did came back at some point. The ones who were burried (figuartivly) almost always stood on a high horse pointing fingers instead of just saying sorry.

You use a race as a slur. How does anyone think that is ok? Fag*** is the same. No race. But a group of people who cannot change anything about who they are.

And 2018 is not that long ago... seriously. Think before you speak. You can say what you want but it still has consequences. Not legally maybe but socially for sure.

This is like the pikachu meme... what the hell did he expect?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    Agreed, but it doesn't change the point that the use of the word is still pervasive and largely accepted when said by a black person, and that leads to occasional use by white people looking to be transgressive.

I mean, we live in a world where a college hired a rapper who uses the n word constantly in his lyrics then put out a press release saying that black people were allowed to sing along to the lyrics and white people weren't. It's just really silly.
    Do Asians get to say the word? What about Mexicans or Muslims? Maybe Europeans who were not involved in any slave trading? How about the reverse... are African people who were involved in slave trading not allowed to say it then?

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    I've called people all manner of slurs.

But never the n-word, because I might be angry, but I'm not racist and understand the history of the word...
    First off, I agree that no one should say the n-word.
    But I'd argue that context matters, and e.g. how often you say something.

In my childhood, during school, many kids said "that's gay" (in german). They said gay as if it were something negative, you could also say "that's shit", with a very similar meaning. And I picked up on that.
    That is now 15 years ago, and still on very few occasions (like once or twice a year) I say "that's gay" immediatly knowing I should not have done that. Does that really make me homophobic? Because I am not, I have argued on many occasions with older people, to change their mind on e.g. gay marriage. It is just a phrase that I picked up when I was little and used until I knew better. It is just hard to get rid of.

If someone drops that n-bomb once, couldnt' that be something similar? I'd like to assume that people are decent, until I know better, but that is just my opinion.

who are these people anyway?

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why not tell us who they are talking about?
    The pvp ladders have been shit since day one..

If they are allowed to record everything.. why not dropp some names while you at it. That said idk who these raiku and co are anyway.

Win trading should be insta banned. Seen mostly people with russian name do weak shit like that..

Racism card could be played here..
    Last edited by Alanar; 2020-10-20 at 11:55 AM.

5+ Year Old Account
    Meh they only got banned from competing at the tournament, which is fair, if you behave like a dick people don't want to associate themselves with dicks. They didn't get banned in WoW itself, which would have been a very troubling precedent, getting banned for bad behavior OUTSIDE the game.

Well, most people are fucking imbeciles today and believe a simple word means you don't like a whole race of people. So fucking stupid. Here is a food for your starved brain: You don't know the innermost thoughts of a person, and a person uttering a word does not make that person a racist. Do people even know what a racist is these days? It's not about words yelled in anger, it's about your views and behavior towards a race different than your own. Calling your white friend a N***er does not make you a racist, jesus fucking christ.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormwolf64 View Post
    Well, most people are fucking imbeciles today and believe a simple word means you don't like a whole race of people. So fucking stupid. Here is a food for your starved brain: You don't know the innermost thoughts of a person, and a person uttering a word does not make that person a racist. Do people even know what a racist is these days? It's not about words yelled in anger, it's about your views and behavior towards a race different than your own. Calling your white friend a N***er does not make you a racist, jesus fucking christ.
    Imagine calling people imbeciles while being this fucking ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinpachi View Post
    Depends on where you live and who you talk to. You don't speak for most people, so stop speaking for most people.
    People that are too online generally should stop trying to speak for other people at large.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyRockets View Post
    Wow. Just wow. It must be utterly difficult to maintain this goody-two-shoes snowflake SJW image.
    People who represent themselves like that (especially online) are always so shallow, empty and ultimately pathetic. Constantly yearning for the validation of other people around them.
    TL;DR I lost braincells reading your woke post.
    Yikes.
    It's almost entirely an internet thing, too. On the internet, everybody is either a Saint or a 12 year old Edgelord, apparently.

(In that case, I'd rather be the latter. The people in the former group tend to be such a drag)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Niroshi View Post
    Ultimately this is just a corporation fleeing from the slightest chance their brand will be tarnished in some way. The only way it's going to stop is if all the people that depend on these corporations for their livelihoods stop being dumbasses and quit being offensive to the general audience.
    Ding ding ding. Culture war BS in this thread aside, this is just a corporation being a corporation and trying to save their asses from controversy.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormwolf64 View Post
    This point exactly. I have no insight into a person's heart. What I do have is what they outwardly show.

If my only experience with a person is what they outwardly show, and they openly display enough ignorance to use such a charged word casually, then what am I to assume? I'm not going to want to get to know someone who throws that word around like its nothing.

I hate the, "Its just a word" crowd. If its just a word, find another. The beautiful thing about language is that its so varied in meaning, complexity, and style. The fact that people absolutely have to use that word just shows their lack of intelligence.

Another person and I have already talked about the "its okay for them, but not for us" whiney kids, but I'll say it a third time.

As a black man, I extremely dislike when people of my own ethnic background use the word as well. I am not alone in this sentiment.

Lastly, all of you children defending the use of this word may say it publicly, and you may say it behind closed doors, but as soon as a black person steps into your field of view, you stop. Granted, it could be because like many offensive things people say within their group, you truly are not trying to disparage an entire people, but Im also willing to put money on you being an absolute coward afraid to accept the physical or other consequences of your actions.

This kid got caught. Freedom of speech doesn't mean you are immune from consequence and this child learned the hard way.

EU people using the N word is pathetic, they have no idea the history associated with it and just makes them look like idiots. I say this as a EU person.