Thread: Biased much?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Biased much?

OK so on my Horde characters I've went through all the new customizations available to them because I mainly play Horde. Tonight I hopped on my Alliance side to change up their looks and was floored by what I saw. Human females have 45 face options, 34 hair options, 26 eyebrow options, 15 piercings options, 9 necklace options, 7 makeup options, in addition to the skin color and hair color options open to most of the other races now. Human males have 36 face options, 26 hair options, in addition to being able to choose if they have sideburns, mustache, beard all at the same and all the new skin, eye, and hair colors too. Now just comparing to other races within the Alliance you have the Draenei who's females only have 10 face options, 24 hair options, and a few added tail options and the Draenei males having 10 face options, 23 hair options, and a few added tail options. Night elves aren't any better either. Females 9 face options, 20 hair options, but added jewelry and vines. Males have 9 face options, 17 hair options, but more "other options" like tattoos, vines, and the facial hair options that humans get. Worgen males get 7 face options, 13 hair options, more fur colors, plus all the "human" options too. Worgen females get 16 face options, 16 hair options, plus all "human" options too. I have no clue about dwarf, gnome or the others since I don't have those races but I'm going to assume that none of them come anywhere close to how many options the humans get. Just for clarification on those who don't have characters on both sides, the Horde with the other Alliance for numbers of their options. This is beyond redic how much favoritism goes into humans.....

Why yes, the developers are humans.

Did you actually look through the human faces?

I just flicked through the male ones, it's basically 3 sets of the same face, just with different ethnicity.

You can confirm this further by picking a face that's lit up, and then change the skin color and you'll see it will automatically change the face to fit whatever face is used for that one.

Humans and night elves got significantly more options than any other race. Don't make this an alliance vs horde thing. It isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfric Trumpcloak View Post
    Humans and night elves got significantly more options than any other race. Don't make this an alliance vs horde thing. It isn't.
    The OP seems more like a "humans vs everything else" complaint to me.

Yes, OP. Humans have significantly more customization options than every other race because:

1. Humans have been probably the most popular race in the game since the game launched. If they were ever passed in popularity, it was by Blood Elves, the race that looks like beautiful humans with long ears.

2. Players are humans, and Blizzard wants players to be able to feel represented in game. Do I think they accomplished that? Not necessarily, but they've also stated that improving customization options is an ongoing project, so I assume we'll see more customization options added for all races (and allied races) during the course of Shadowlands.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

10+ Year Old Account
    When they introduced the feature, it was clear that one of their primary goals was to expand in-game humans specifically to be more in line with the diversity of actual humanity so people could potentially make a toon that looked like them if they were so inclined. I don't think this has anything to do with preferential treatment towards a faction or a wow race, and everything to do with representation of the playerbase itself, which happens to be human, on account of the other races being imaginary.

I think all the races need expanded customisation (honestly, a lot of the human stuff is underwhelming too) so I agree with the end goal of "more please" but I think ascribing any sort of bias to this is a little silly.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    Human females have 45 face options [...] Human males have 36 face options
    This is just an illusion: females have still 15 faces as they always had and males have 12. They just seperated out different looking faces as different faces but for any given skin color you have only 15/12 faces to choose from.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unlimited Power View Post
    The OP seems more like a "humans vs everything else" complaint to me.

Yes, OP. Humans have significantly more customization options than every other race because:

1. Humans have been probably the most popular race in the game since the game launched. If they were ever passed in popularity, it was by Blood Elves, the race that looks like beautiful humans with long ears.

2. Players are humans, and Blizzard wants players to be able to feel represented in game. Do I think they accomplished that? Not necessarily, but they've also stated that improving customization options is an ongoing project, so I assume we'll see more customization options added for all races (and allied races) during the course of Shadowlands.
    Yeah there's some dispute (different stats places give different numbers, and all of them are based on both outdated (Dec 2019 at most recent) and inappropriately small sample sizes which suggest dubious methodology), but certainly for most of WoW, up until about BfA, Humans were the most popular race, with Blood Elves quickly moving up from a small percentage in TBC to a pretty huge one by Wrath/Cata. It looks like adding Void Elves in late Legion may have caused enough people to change to them that Humans are no longer #1. Night Elves are also very popular, possibly moreso than humans, but without larger sample sizes and more recent data, I'd be skeptical.

This is totally in keeping with pretty much every MMORPG in history, where basically Humans and Elves will always be the most popular options, usually by a large margin (in PvP-oriented MMOs this is much less the case, but still happens).

The only valid complaint I can maybe see is that, if anyone is "losing out", it's Blood Elves. They arguably got less added than Humans or Night Elves despite being more popular - though not by much and it's a case of arguable rather than purely factual.

Also if anyone is first in the queue for having stuff added, I think it has to be Nightborne. Not only did they have some of the fewest options to start with, they didn't even get stuff that other Allied Races got, like eye colour choices.
    Last edited by Eurhetemec; 2020-10-22 at 01:07 PM.
    "A youtuber said so."

"... some wow experts being interviewed..."

"According to researchers from Wowhead..."

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Did you actually look through the human faces?

I just flicked through the male ones, it's basically 3 sets of the same face, just with different ethnicity.

You can confirm this further by picking a face that's lit up, and then change the skin color and you'll see it will automatically change the face to fit whatever face is used for that one.
    This is very accurate... it's the illusion of more options.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    No fucking way. The worst idea since democracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfric Trumpcloak View Post
    Why put so much focus on alliance when most of the playerbase have switched to horde?

Good, give more options to all the boring people who would rather play themselves in a fantasy setting cause they lack imagination.

IT'S A JOKE CALM DOWN

I refuse to play humans in WoW and it baffles me why so many people make them. They're boring and the models honestly don't even look good. That aside, I still find it awkward that scars are tied to ethnicity for some reason for their face options.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    Good, give more options to all the boring people who would rather play themselves in a fantasy setting cause they lack imagination.

IT'S A JOKE CALM DOWN
    I AM SO OFFEND RIGHT NAO!

/s

Yeah, these options should be baseline for all races, not necessarily that many, but face+face shape, separated eyebrows, possibly makeup, should.

It's ridiculous some races got 3 hairstyles and useless jewelry that don't fit most armor anyway and that's that. Not even gonna start about races like LF Draenei, whose customization was lacking in the first place, and they don't even get the basic stuff that Draenei got like tendrils and tail customization.

It might come as a shock but humans are actually the only race playing the game. I think it makes quite a bit sense to diversify the human race for people who care about looking like themselves, there's been quite a few people appreciating this on other forums. I dont belong in that group but i do feel like the game has plenty of things to offer to me now for customizing a character i think is cool.

There are certainly some outliers that would benefit from more customization options and im all for it, it's always better to have more.

This is hardly surprising. It's easier to add features of a race that actually draws from reality.
    But, end of the day, you will notice Humans, Night elves and Blood elves have the most options.
    Surely i don't have to explain why. It's a logical use of resources.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dazmalak View Post
    I refuse to play humans in WoW and it baffles me why so many people make them. They're boring and the models honestly don't even look good. That aside, I still find it awkward that scars are tied to ethnicity for some reason for their face options.
    Because not everyone wants to be edgy like you. Your definition of "look good" is questionable as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    This is hardly surprising. It's easier to add features of a race that actually draws from reality.
    But, end of the day, you will notice Humans, Night elves and Blood elves have the most options.
    Surely i don't have to explain why. It's a logical use of resources.

- - - Updated - - -

Because not everyone wants to be edgy like you. Your definition of "look good" is questionable as well.
    I'm glad to know not wanting to be a human in a fantasy game makes me edgy. Obviously my opinion is my opinion, you are free not to share it. Any other hot takes you want to enlighten us with?

Well its probably because its easiest to come up with face customization for those models since we are human, but yeah its boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    The only guy who looks edgy here is you by the way.
    People who pick humans to play in a fantasy-game reminds me of the people who go abroad to eat the same food they eat at home instead of trying something local.

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    OK so on my Horde characters I've went through all the new customizations available to them because I mainly play Horde. Tonight I hopped on my Alliance side to change up their looks and was floored by what I saw. Human females have 45 face options, 34 hair options, 26 eyebrow options, 15 piercings options, 9 necklace options, 7 makeup options, in addition to the skin color and hair color options open to most of the other races now. Human males have 36 face options, 26 hair options, in addition to being able to choose if they have sideburns, mustache, beard all at the same and all the new skin, eye, and hair colors too. Now just comparing to other races within the Alliance you have the Draenei who's females only have 10 face options, 24 hair options, and a few added tail options and the Draenei males having 10 face options, 23 hair options, and a few added tail options. Night elves aren't any better either. Females 9 face options, 20 hair options, but added jewelry and vines. Males have 9 face options, 17 hair options, but more "other options" like tattoos, vines, and the facial hair options that humans get. Worgen males get 7 face options, 13 hair options, more fur colors, plus all the "human" options too. Worgen females get 16 face options, 16 hair options, plus all "human" options too. I have no clue about dwarf, gnome or the others since I don't have those races but I'm going to assume that none of them come anywhere close to how many options the humans get. Just for clarification on those who don't have characters on both sides, the Horde with the other Alliance for numbers of their options. This is beyond redic how much favoritism goes into humans.....
    It's almost as if humans are real.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

As others have said, you might actually want to look at what these options are. In general one can see how poorly implemented the new customization UI is if you look through multiple races and notice that there is simply no thought put into these. Essentially it's the text book example of poor coding pratices where someone didn't properly plan ahead on what they needed to do and ended up with dozens of special cases because they didn't grasp the full requirements of the task (here UI) initially.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2020-10-22 at 05:00 PM.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.