Thread: Classic->TBC

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    the transfer vs copy issue is VERY easily addressed...copy is the best...

copy character...and all its data...but TRANSFER the gold and the non soulbound items from classic...

or prevent copy if there's soulbounds items in the inventory...only allow gold transfer...gold which can have an initial limit (per account) set by blizzard to have the launch balanced...

each character is identified by an ID number...prevent multiple copy of the same character from vanilla to tbc, unless the tbc char is deleted, in which case you could copy again...comparing the ID number at each copy request...

there you have it

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cæli View Post
    the transfer vs copy issue is VERY easily addressed...copy is the best...

copy character...and all its data...but TRANSFER the gold and the non soulbound items from classic...

or prevent copy if there's soulbounds items in the inventory...only allow gold transfer...gold which can have an initial limit (per account) set by blizzard to have the launch balanced...

each character is identified by an ID number...prevent multiple copy of the same character from vanilla to tbc, unless the tbc char is deleted, in which case you could copy again...comparing the ID number at each copy request...

there you have it
    Clearly it's not this easy as I've explained. Copy is fine, to selected realms/battlegroups.
    -K

[QUOTE=chrisnumbers;52752245]Just out of curiosity, what do you do after naxx and full bis and all that?

Do the same with all classes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister K View Post
    Clearly it's not this easy as I've explained. Copy is fine, to selected realms/battlegroups.
    thing is basically no one will want to start over on a new character, there will probably be many coming players that didn't played classic yet, but so was the case in 2007

Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    They are going to lose a lot of players if they don't allow you to carry on your char progression in to TBC, people have invested a lot of time and effort in to Classic and have prepared somewhat for a potential TBC release. I know that it's never been confirmed this is happening, but you'd think it is the logical choice. If they decide to change this, they are going to piss a lot of players off and as I said, potentially lose players.

Sorry but people who chose to play Vanilla classic should not get an advantage in TBC classic. You did not sign up to play Vanilla to get an edge in TBC. You played vanilla to play vanilla. There was never any indication that such a progression would ever occur. If were going to play that game, allow people to transfer from Live into TBC classic too. Same thing. I have invested far more into my characters progression on live than anyone has on classic. Either let everyone transfer or no one.

Keep all classic "expansions" 100% segregated.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisnumbers View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what do you do after naxx and full bis and all that?

- - - Updated - - -

Source for this?
    Progression is but one aspect of the game

Quote Originally Posted by Jurwi View Post
    Someone will actually bother farming full bis from Naxx? Why? I don't get it.

Personally I'll probably just quit playing Classic after clearing Naxx once. Maybe return again once we get TBC:Classic.
    I don’t get this type of thinking, if you’re gonna abandon your toon once it has full Naxx bis, then why bother gear it up to begin with?

Isn’t the whole point of reaching max anything to be able to be part of the select few who can outperform anyone else in any given challenge? Why would you not wanna enjoy that part?

Quote Originally Posted by RemasteredClassic View Post
    I don’t get this type of thinking, if you’re gonna abandon your toon once it has full Naxx bis, then why bother gear it up to begin with?

Isn’t the whole point of reaching max anything to be able to be part of the select few who can outperform anyone else in any given challenge? Why would you not wanna enjoy that part?
    Fun nostalgia trip to clear the good old original Naxxramas again. In the end Classic content is easy as hell, hardly makes you someone "who can outperform anyone else in any given challenge".

It's a computer game you know. There is no need to dedicate yourself in any way to your character, you can "abandon" it when you want to. I enjoy raiding with my guild group because it's fun bunch of people, but let's face it, Classic raid content is just easy and boring as hell. And that's the only actually interesting content there is. Honor grind PvP is just utterly shit, leveling a 4th alt sounds more like chore than fun, absolutely no reason to run dungeons, and that's pretty much all the options you got in Classic.

At least TBC finally brings some more content on the table in addition to raids.

Quote Originally Posted by Dacu View Post
    Progression is but one aspect of the game
    True. I could keep farming primals I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    They are going to lose a lot of players if they don't allow you to carry on your char progression in to TBC, people have invested a lot of time and effort in to Classic and have prepared somewhat for a potential TBC release. I know that it's never been confirmed this is happening, but you'd think it is the logical choice. If they decide to change this, they are going to piss a lot of players off and as I said, potentially lose players.
    hmm i dont really play classic, but do the people on there expect them to just go through every xpac or something? i thought the original reason they made classic was to have a perma vanilla realm people could play on forever?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby451 View Post
    Sorry but people who chose to play Vanilla classic should not get an advantage in TBC classic. You did not sign up to play Vanilla to get an edge in TBC. You played vanilla to play vanilla. There was never any indication that such a progression would ever occur. If were going to play that game, allow people to transfer from Live into TBC classic too. Same thing. I have invested far more into my characters progression on live than anyone has on classic. Either let everyone transfer or no one.

Keep all classic "expansions" 100% segregated.
    Way to show you don't understand the first thing about business. Virtually no one who's invested significant time into their classic characters would play TBC like this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by threadz View Post
    hmm i dont really play classic, but do the people on there expect them to just go through every xpac or something?
    no, but I think most anticipated that if Classic was successful, we'd likely see Classic TBC and maybe LK. Few people anticipate anything past that.

i thought the original reason they made classic was to have a perma vanilla realm people could play on forever?
    Which they can easily can do by allowing you to copy your classic vanilla character to Classic TBC and leaving the classic vanilla server alone.
    Last edited by clevin; 2020-10-27 at 01:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Synical123 View Post
    It for sure won’t be a copy option. Transfer only for sure. They will probably leave classic static which is ok, if that’s the game those people want to play, let them. There’s really no good reason to force these people into a restart. If they want to play classic forever, then I’m sure deleting their characters isn’t really something most of them will be down for.

Either way, this community is going to be incredibly small anyway. So whatever they do probably isn’t going to be an utmost concern for them considering a majority will move to tbc.
    100% agreed. There MIGHT be 1 Classic sever, but 99% of the people will "progress" to TBC servers.
    I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

Fun nostalgia trip to clear the good old original Naxxramas again. In the end Classic content is easy as hell, hardly makes you someone "who can outperform anyone else in any given challenge".

It's a computer game you know. There is no need to dedicate yourself in any way to your character, you can "abandon" it when you want to. I enjoy raiding with my guild group because it's fun bunch of people, but let's face it, Classic raid content is just easy and boring as hell. And that's the only actually interesting content there is. Honor grind PvP is just utterly shit, leveling a 4th alt sounds more like chore than fun, absolutely no reason to run dungeons, and that's pretty much all the options you got in Classic.

At least TBC finally brings some more content on the table in addition to raids.
    Fair enough, but what about new players? What if I wanna have fun in classic together with someone completely new to it?

I think copying characters should not be considered as it would open a whole can of worms.

Like some of the folks already suggested, if the devs decide to go with the most straight forward and easy way out, then, maybe they could create a single static classic 1-60 server where players can transfer their toons to for free at any time keeping that option open for say three months before upgrading all servers to burning crusade code.

There would naturally need to be two static servers per region, one pvp and one normal.
    Last edited by RemasteredClassic; 2020-10-27 at 06:56 AM.

I bet you will be playing 2 years after naxx is cleared, right? No tbc is pretty much classic +.

hmm i dont really play classic, but do the people on there expect them to just go through every xpac or something? i thought the original reason they made classic was to have a perma vanilla realm people could play on forever?
    This is what I thought too, but a good number of players, likely in the majority, seem to wanna move on to TBC. Whether this means fully override their current classic experience or move on to a separate TBC server is unknown to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Speedlance View Post
    I bet you will be playing 2 years after naxx is cleared, right? No tbc is pretty much classic +.
    What about new players who wanna check out classic?

I think its kinda important that servers as a whole move over to tbc, whether that is a couple months after the first kel'thuzad kill or 6 months or a year, what you really want is your server to patch to tbc and have your community continue onward. so you have the same guilds the same economy, moving into fresh content. you can challenge each other again to firsts and speed clears. while copying characters to a fresh tbc server, its going to be completely random who you end up with and ofc any community that exists is going to be split up. this doesn't matter TOO much but it would be nice to retain the community that you've been playing with the last year or so. I don't think there is any real benefit to staying in classic permanently until every caster in your 40 man has an atiesh and you're downing bosses with alt raids. at that point the whole prestige of getting to that point is gone. naxx didn't last forever the first time and ppl weren't given an infinite amount of time to clear it or get to it. this is what gave it the prestige that it once had.

I think there is going to come a point where the saturation has just reached its peak, you have barely any economical churn because everyone is self sufficient and has an alt that can do anything their main can't. you have wide spread t3 and no real content that requires it. at this point its time to move on. the game has had a good run and it has captured that experience for the most part. I just can't see it fairing so well once ppl have got their t3 thats going to be it, the slow decline, until tbc. if you want your community to remain active and you want your guilds to not fold, then it ultimately needs to move on.

the back end economy is important, because classic wasn't made completely irrelevant with tbc, you still had to level your alts and professions. likewise, without any backend, the actual gathering aspect of the game will be bottlenecked by the fact that no one has anything. professions don't start at 300 in tbc, they still start at 1. just think about this for a moment and what it means for starting tbc as a fresh server with no established economy and no churn at all. it'll just be a clusterfuck as everyone is trying to level professions at the same time. while you have jewel crafting coming in and creating a secondary demand on ores.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2020-10-27 at 10:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Heathy View Post
    I think its kinda important that servers as a whole move over to tbc, whether that is a couple months after the first kel'thuzad kill or 6 months or a year, what you really want is your server to patch to tbc and have your community continue onward. so you have the same guilds the same economy, moving into fresh content. you can challenge each other again to firsts and speed clears. while copying characters to a fresh tbc server, its going to be completely random who you end up with and ofc any community that exists is going to be split up. this doesn't matter TOO much but it would be nice to retain the community that you've been playing with the last year or so. I don't think there is any real benefit to staying in classic permanently until every caster in your 40 man has an aetiesh and you're downing bosses with alt raids. at that point the whole prestige of getting to that point is gone. naxx didn't last forever the first time and ppl weren't given an infinite amount of time to clear it or get to it. this is what gave it the prestige that it once had.

I think there is going to come a point where the saturation is just reached its peak, you have barely any economical churn because everyone is self sufficient and has an alt that can do anything their main can't. you have wide spread t3 and no real content that requires it. at this point its time to move on. the game has had a good run and it has captured that experience for the most part. I just can't see it fairing so well once ppl have got their t3 thats going to be it, the slow decline, until tbc. if you want your community to remain active and you want your guilds to not fold, then it ultimately needs to move on.

the back end economy is important, because classic wasn't made completely irrelevant with tbc, you still had to level your alts and professions. likewise, without any backend, the actual gathering aspect of the game will be bottlenecked by the fact that no one has anything. professions don't start at 300 in tbc, they still start at 1.
    Fair enough, but what about new players and those who just wanna play classic and don’t care about prestige? Wasn’t it the whole point of bringing back classic? This is making me not wanna touch classic if I’m just gonna a nobody in greens in TBC anyway, why bother? I don’t have time to spend all day and night gearing up in classic.

apparently the servers are a lot more scalable these days I don't think it would be out of the realm of possibility for Blizzard to just open new classic servers. it would likely be less classic servers than this first time. but if ppl want to keep repeating classic over and over again. the only way thats going to work is if they open fresh servers at phase 1 again.

i've been playing classic since week 1 now and I know how ppl feel about gearing up only for it to be made irrelevant with tbc, but it won't be completely because there were a good few items in classic that were still good until tier 5 some of t3 and items like the DFT/nelth's tear/rejuv gem are still pretty decent upto about tier 5-ish thats when everything from classic is out classed by just raw stats. but i think it'll be fun going into tbc and replacing your classic gear with 70 gear and just continuing the raiding progression. in the same way that you look at replacing t1 with t2 and t2 with t3 its just another leg of the progression.

https://imgur.com/a/kr9xAZY

this is me atm, i loaned a guy 300g so i'm a little low on the gold but as you can see i've been grinding and farming for naxx (i got my fishing skill to 300 over the last few days so i could farm stonescales and pound stoneshield potions like candies in naxx), but I would like to eventually move on and keep the guild and community going and active and engaged. but i have been playing since the beginning i have full t1 full t2 i lack the helm of t2.5 but i've been doing the grind and showing up to raids, i'm excited for naxx, i never got to do 60 naxx (while it was relevant I did a pug in there at 70 when my priest had t5 and most ppl were t5/6 geared before it was removed) so it'll be fun going in there at 60 and progressing through it, its what all this grind and raiding has finally culminated to. but i already know that there will come a point where I don't wanna log in and farm naxx anymore. when that point comes it would be nice if tbc isn't far away.

i'm pretty pimp geared, there aren't many bis pieces from this phase and prior phases that I don't have. I think I want a mark of c'thun / deaths sting. a dft would be nice but i don't need the hit anymore. next week if i get t2.5 helm ill have completed all 3 sets. you know there is only so much you can do before its just done and time to move on. I have 1 binding but, baron still hasn't dropped the other one I need. I don't really care if i finish TF in classic or if i have to come back at 70 and finish it, i knew the moment i bid on that first binding that i might never see the second one. I don't feel as though classic should persist so I can finish it. i'm not bothered whether i do or do not i only have 25 arcanite bars but I don't really wanna focus on farming 100 before I get that other binding (largely i'm happy staying with the dagger meta getting a death's sting and sitting at +8 dagger skill this would be less painful than farming the rest of the arcanite and paying extortionate prices for a set of edgemasters). for the most part i put in a decent amount of effort and i'm not exactly half-assing classic just while I wait for tbc. but it has been over a year now. its not like you gear up and a week later tbc is out. if you've been raiding since week 1 or 2 then you've been at it for over a year. by the time naxx is out for 6 months or so it'll be nearly 2 years. thats a decent runtime imo. at some point ppl are just not going to sign up to raids or you're just going to be carrying alts through naxx. which has some potential for fun but thats the issue, you're gunna reach that point where ppl just stop logging in and then your guild is going to have to replace them, while the actual new players joining your server is going to taper off. so you're left with just the dregs of the server that you'll be stuck carrying. as there will be no one left to recruit to replace those who just stopped playing. you'll have to go through the fun of gearing ppl up through bwl and aq40 again. just so you can keep farming naxx, its going to be a cycle of losing ppl, gaining new blood who might not be half as good as the person you lost. until ppl just can't be fucked anymore and your guild eventually folds or merges with other guilds. < this is the reality of classic being stuck in classic, burnout and a slow decline, moving the servers into tbc has the potential of keeping things fresh and the community as it is now, alive.

there are ppl in my guild that are so-so on tbc, I don't think EVERYONE wants tbc which is where I feel morally conflicted, should those ppl be forced into tbc, at the same time should those that would like to move on be forced to stay in classic, there is no right answer and it seems like whichever way it goes someone is going to be disappointed and there isn't much that can be done about that, for those who wanted classic only, if the server moves to tbc at least your guild will hopefully and mostly still be together and will have new challenges to take on while the stuck in classic scenario I can just see ppl finishing t3 and calling it quits which is going to not have your guild stay together. at least I doubt it'll last 2+ years of naxx farming. not without needing to replace a lot of ppl. which ofc is going to be anyones guess as to whether you can replace that many ppl at that stage. and still be able to maintain the same level of cohesion and clear the content. I know there are ppl in my guild that play on private and they are perhaps not interested in tbc, but the discussion has happened, where someone mentions tbc and the overall tone is that of jaded gamers reminiscing about the good times of tbc as if most ppl would actually prefer tbc to classic. that at some point moving to tbc is what should naturally happen to keep the fun going. and to ofc keep these communities intact and competing against one another.

the TLDR is that I wouldn't mind 6 months of naxx, but at some point these servers are doomed to stagnation if they don't progress onto tbc. I feel like there is a period of time where you run through classic and it has a set length where you progress upto the point where everyone is clad in t3 and you're just facerolling everything, this might be fun for a few months maybe but I can't see it having a lot of longevity.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2020-10-27 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RemasteredClassic View Post
    Fair enough, but what about new players? What if I wanna have fun in classic together with someone completely new to it?
    I highly doubt there are enough people like that to warrant having extra servers and and infrastructure required to keep Classic going. Still need to make the good old profit.

Besides, if someone was to start playing Vanilla Classic one year from now, when almost everyone has already gone from Vanilla Classic to Burning Crusade Classic, it would be nothing like the original anyway. Barely any people playing anymore, next to impossible to get dungeon groups going while leveling, probably 1-2 raiding guilds, non existent PvP in BGs. It would be Phase 6 forever, no original progression at all, no AQ opening events and so forth.

I would've never even considered playing Classic like that.

I highly doubt there are enough people like that to warrant having extra servers and and infrastructure required to keep Classic going. Still need to make the good old profit.

Besides, if someone was to start playing Vanilla Classic one year from now, when almost everyone has already gone from Vanilla Classic to Burning Crusade Classic, it would be nothing like the original anyway. Barely any people playing anymore, next to impossible to get dungeon groups going while leveling, probably 1-2 raiding guilds, non existent PvP in BGs. It would be Phase 6 forever, no original progression at all, no AQ opening events and so forth.

I would've never even considered playing Classic like that.
    Alright then this would leave me no choice but to quit classic and play retail on and off...like 1-3 months max per expansion and just play other games.

None of this makes sense though. Vanilla private servers went on for years without dying...
    Last edited by RemasteredClassic; 2020-10-27 at 02:46 PM.