Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Is it worth doing anything for an alt that just dinged before the prepatch event?

Lots of us are thinking of having at least 1 alt ready just in case we bother to level it soon-ish with the expansion with the main. So I wonder if it's worth doing much other than waiting for getting some ilevel 100 gear (I also got the cloak/neck but I doubt they're a huge contribution without much levelling).
    Last edited by epigramx; 2020-10-31 at 05:44 PM.

Bit of an empty question if you want to do something with it yes, if not, no?

Not much of a point if you don't intend to do m+, raid or pvp on them during the pre-patch itself. Even then we got the actual pre-launch event starting soon giving even easier access to ilvl 100 catch up gear.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

I got my fresh toon to about 92ilvl and stopped which was nothing but free 78ilvl gear and gear from the visions and the emissary caches.

Unlock class specific stuff and your heartstones? Maybe get some gear for timewalking stuff as well, certain trinkets or the BfA necklace etc...

Feel like everyone here is kind of missing the point of the question. I have leveled a few times on Beta. The difference in the first few hours between having full 115+ gear from Heroic/Keys+ and the 85 gear the 50 templates start with is phenomenal. 85 has trouble killing 2 mobs together. 115+ could pull entire quest zones and not have to pay attention to what's going on.

If you enjoy playing it. And enjoy some form of content that will get you okay gear it is worth doing in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    Lots of us are thinking of having at least 1 alt ready just in case we bother to level it soon-ish with the expansion with the main. So I wonder if it's worth doing much other than waiting for getting some ilevel 100 gear (I also got the cloak/neck but I doubt they're a huge contribution without much levelling).
    Doing some world quests for a little bit of gear wouldn't hurt but not necessary, so if you don't want to do anything on them, then don't.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by holywhiskers View Post
    Feel like everyone here is kind of missing the point of the question. I have leveled a few times on Beta. The difference in the first few hours between having full 115+ gear from Heroic/Keys+ and the 85 gear the 50 templates start with is phenomenal. 85 has trouble killing 2 mobs together. 115+ could pull entire quest zones and not have to pay attention to what's going on.

If you enjoy playing it. And enjoy some form of content that will get you okay gear it is worth doing in my opinion.
    The prepatch event gives you better gear than template characters.

7+ Year Old Account
    I like having my alts as well geared as possible. At the moment all of my alts, except for the new one I started a couple weeks ago, have a 155 cape and are sitting at 120ilvl or higher.

I started a new toon to fill out the last tradeskill I don't have, skinning. I'm playing what I consider a game with in the game with him: trying to get him as close to my other alts as possible, mainly through conquest cap; easiest 120 gear to get imo and I like wpvp. Oh, and osmenite ore and dredged leather are still selling for a ridiculous amount on my server so the new alt is already definitely earning his keep.

But, thats me.

Edit:
    Just under 3 days played at lvl50 and he's sitting at ilvl101.
    Last edited by callipygoustp; 2020-10-31 at 07:01 PM.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account

Realistically, though, can you get "Full 115+ gear" in any reasonable amount of time/effort before the prepatch events? I'm guessing the answer is a big fat no, unless you get carried through a bunch of high-end raids and M+.

Even if you go hell-for-leather for getting what you can, you're likely to end up in exactly mostly the 85 gear you're complaining about. And the prepatch gear is 100. So I don't think people are "missing the point of the question". The answer is basically "no", beyond maybe getting your neck and cloak (which takes a few hours).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    I like having my alts as well geared as possible. At the moment all of my alts, except for the new one I started a couple weeks ago, have a 155 cape and are sitting at 120ilvl or higher.

I started a new toon to fill out the last tradeskill I don't have, skinning. I'm playing what I consider a game with in the game with him: trying to get him as close to my other alts as possible, mainly through conquest cap; easiest 120 gear to get imo and I like wpvp. Oh, and osmenite ore and dredged leather are still selling for a ridiculous amount on my server so the new alt is already definitely earning his keep.

But, thats me.
    None of these 155 cloak, 120 ilvl alts are newly level post 9.0, I take it?
    "A youtuber said so."

"... some wow experts being interviewed..."

"According to researchers from Wowhead..."

Leveling through questing leaves you with an iLevel of about 55 which is insufficient to even kill the Darkshore mobs so unless you want to do all the unlock and world quests or something more serious, my answer is to just chill until the 10th when iLevel 100 stuff will fall like rain to get you ready for the expansion.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurhetemec View Post
    Nope. Only one new alt, the one I explicitly talked about.

5+ Year Old Account
    Dont know if you did older content, you could go for the classmount Legion

Realistically, though, can you get "Full 115+ gear" in any reasonable amount of time/effort before the prepatch events? I'm guessing the answer is a big fat no, unless you get carried through a bunch of high-end raids and M+.

Even if you go hell-for-leather for getting what you can, you're likely to end up in exactly mostly the 85 gear you're complaining about. And the prepatch gear is 100. So I don't think people are "missing the point of the question". The answer is basically "no", beyond maybe getting your neck and cloak (which takes a few hours).

- - - Updated - - -

What? It is easy to get full 115 gear. Literally takes a week of 3-4 hours a day. A group full of 100 ilvl players can time 15s if they have brains. If you have a community of friends/guildies that have brains it's even easier. Azerite is the only problem if you can't get a Heroic clear

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    What? It is easy to get full 115 gear. Literally takes a week of 3-4 hours a day. A group full of 100 ilvl players can time 15s if they have brains. If you have a community of friends/guildies that have brains it's even easier. Azerite is the only problem if you can't get a Heroic clear
    I love this nonsense.

So your definition of "easy" is:

A) You need to play WoW 3-4 hours/day (so about half a workday/day), every day, on this specific brand new alt.

B) You need a dedicated group of "friends/guildies" to help you with this who have ilvl 100+ gear, and can "time 15s" and who likewise will play 3-4 hours a day on your brand new alt.

(Because the idea that a PUG is going to "time 15s" with you on your brand new alt who has like ilvl 80 is just a bad lie.)

Okay buddy yeah I always find working an extra half-a-job and convincing 4 other people to do it with me, just to gear up my shitty new alt is "easy". ROFL.
    "A youtuber said so."

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    all of my alts, except for the new one I started a couple weeks ago, have a 155 cape and are sitting at 120ilvl or higher.
    Those aren't alts that just dinged, but full blown raiding alts of the current expansion, kinda off topic here.

- - - Updated - - -

I love this nonsense.

A) You need to play WoW 3-4 hours/day (so about half a workday/day), every day, on this specific brand new alt.

B) You need a dedicated group of "friends/guildies" to help you with this who have ilvl 100+ gear, and can "time 15s" and who likewise will play 3-4 hours a day on your brand new alt.

(Because the idea that a PUG is going to "time 15s" with you on your brand new alt who has like ilvl 80 is just a bad lie.)

Okay buddy yeah I always find working an extra half-a-job and convincing 4 other people to do it with me, just to gear up my shitty new alt is "easy". ROFL.
    Well at least it comes to show that the matter is a bit relative. Some people just play too much.
    Granted they are a minority but I've heard of people before having literally 10 raiding alts!1

I love this nonsense.

I guess my perspective is from a 4k io player with a 50 of every class in a Top 150 guild and a decently sized, long fostered community of other skilled friends who play the game a lot. And yours is not. But my perspective is, it's easy. Buddy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Push keys for gear and more knowledge for the spec/class, etc.
    Hi

I guess my perspective is from a 4k io player with a 50 of every class in a Top 150 guild and a decently sized, long fostered community of other skilled friends who play the game a lot. And yours is not. But my perspective is, it's easy. Buddy.
    Different people find different things easy. You implied it's easy for everyone, which it isn't. Not even getting into the time requirements you mentioned.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Exactly. You're in the top 0.01% of players (literally). Your suggestions are impractical nonsense for almost everyone.

If you'd said "I'm at the very top of the game, but what I'd do is this...", we could have just nodded and though "Well it's nice for some people!" (I say this as someone who was, long ago, in a similar position), and just dismissed it. But you didn't give any context, and just said that stuff was "easy".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    Well at least it comes to show that the matter is a bit relative. Some people just play too much.
    Granted they are a minority but I've heard of people before having literally 10 raiding alts!1
    I can't really criticise people for playing too much - back in Dark Age of Camelot I played like 12+ hours/day for a while in my very early 20s, and I had a lot of 8 hour days in Vanilla and even a bit into Wrath.

But even back then I knew very few other people were like that, and when I gave advice, I didn't assume they had similar schedules.

10 raiding alts is bonkers. I had two in Vanilla-Cata and even that was pretty extreme.
    "A youtuber said so."

Well. If I understood correctly, this prepatch event isn't as good for gearing alts up as the bfa prepatch was. In bfa you just did a few wq's and got the items from the quests. Now you're supposed to grind in order to buy catch up gear? If that's true you most certainly have to gear up before if you intend to kill anything for the prepatch stuff.
    The 3 dh spec is increíble.