Preparation macro if vanish isn't ready

Hi,
    I'd like a macro which uses Preparation before using vanish, if i'm spamming vanish and vanish isn't available (on CD), for 3.3.5

Something like that :

/cast vanish
    if vanish is on CD, then :
    /cast Preparation
    /cast vanish

Thanks for help

for 3.3.5?

if i recall correctly you can't have two abilities on the GCD activate conditionally in one single macro.
    A witty saying proves nothing.
    -Voltaire
    winning
    plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

Quote Originally Posted by moineshoo View Post
    Hi,
    I'd like a macro which uses Preparation before using vanish, if i'm spamming vanish and vanish isn't available (on CD), for 3.3.5

Something like that :

/cast vanish
    if vanish is on CD, then :
    /cast Preparation
    /cast vanish

Thanks for help
    You can't do "if > then" statements with macros such as "If vanish is on cooldown > Then cast Prep".

You could do a castsequence macro with "/cast vanish /cast prep [reset=2]"
    I believe what would happen is if vanish were on C/D, pressing that macro once would fail the vanish cast and move on to prep, but you'd have to press it twice. I don't normally make macros like that, so I don't know what would happen on the failed cast, it might not move the sequence.

Edit: Disregard, I checked and you can't advance a sequence on a failed cast.

Had another idea...

/castsequence reset=120 vanish, prep

That would cast vanish the first time, and then sit on prep for 120 seconds or until you used prep and it would reset back to vanish. The issue would be preps cooldown is 5 minutes if I recall. There will be times when the macro would let you use vanish, but prep would be on cooldown. Normally you would use /combat to reset the macro on combat, but that would defeat the point because that's what vanish is doing.
    Last edited by StillMcfuu; 2020-11-09 at 09:21 PM.

Thanks for your answers.
    Damn ... so there is no way to do what i want ? :'(

By the way ymirsson vanish isn't in GCD, so i should be able to do instant prep-vanish.
    Edit : i tried /cast Prep - /cast vanish and it doesn't work with one single push, but it's maybe because i got 300 ms atm xd
    Last edited by moineshoo; 2020-11-09 at 09:23 PM.

Why do you need a macro? Learn to pay attention to what cds you have.

It isn't for that purpose, it's to play rogue V.S rogue, once i trinket / vanish / cheapShot, i don't want to do prep -> vanish. I want to do vanish with one key because it goes at the speed of light.

Btw my vanish is on mouse's wheel down, so maybe we could find a macro that works with 2 hits ? Since mouse's wheel down can do multiple hits fairly fast
    Last edited by moineshoo; 2020-11-09 at 09:42 PM.

It isn't for that purpose, it's to play rogue V.S rogue, once i trinket / vanish / cheapShot, i don't want to do prep -> vanish. I want to do vanish with one key because it goes at the speed of light.

Btw my vanish is on mouse's wheel down, so maybe we could find a macro that works with 2 hits ? Since mouse's wheel down can do multiple hits fairly fast
    You can't make the macro do the thinking for you, but you can still speed up your gameplay by optimizing your macros and binds.

I would recommend something like a modifier key macro:

#showtooltip vanish
    /cast [mod:shift] Preparation
    /cast Vanish

If Preparation is on the GCD in the particular build you are playing, then you'll have to keep spamming the macro after lifting your finger from Shift, but it works OK and is still faster than going for 2 separate binds.

I already use a similar concept for Trinket + Cloak of Shadows:

#showtooltip Cloak of Shadows
    /cast [mod:shift] Medallion of the Alliance
    /cast Cloak of Shadows

This way if I need to trinket + cloak out of something, I reach for the same bind where Cloak already is and just add shift to it.

- - - Updated - - -

A better version of the macro is

#showtooltip vanish
    /cast [mod:shift] sprint
    /cast [mod:shift] evasion
    /cast [mod:shift] preparation
    /cast vanish

The reason to add sprint and evasion on the same modifier is that they aren't on the GCD and won't affect the other intended functions of the macro in any way (even if they are already on CD, they'll just be skipped) and if they aren't on CD you might as well use them before Prep so they don't go to waste.
    Last edited by shoegazing; 2020-11-09 at 11:51 PM.
    Subtlety Rogue was an amazing, incredible, unique, and fun spec prior to Legion and BfA

“All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.”

― Douglas Adams

Thanks shoegazing, i think i'll use that.
    It's not as fast as i wanted but well ... If everyone says that it can't be faster, i'll go with that xd Thing is that the rogues i'm dueling atm are very very fast and skilled, and i always let rogues engage me first because that's what i do, so the challenge is big :/

Thanks to everyone for the fast answers, i'll go with the mod:shift macro + wheelDown see how it goes.

Thanks shoegazing, i think i'll use that.
    It's not as fast as i wanted but well ... If everyone says that it can't be faster, i'll go with that xd Thing is that the rogues i'm dueling atm are very very fast and skilled, and i always let rogues engage me first because that's what i do, so the challenge is big :/

Thanks to everyone for the fast answers, i'll go with the mod:shift macro + wheelDown see how it goes.
    great.

just so you know, speed in WoW PvP is mostly a matter of game knowledge and prediction. e.g. you expect the other guy to cast so your finger is already hovering over your "kick" keybind. perhaps you even press it the moment he stands still, without waiting to see the castbar (this is how you get bad players to accuse you of being a kickbot).

also giving other Rogues the opener in duels is great practice, so good for you. one way to turn it around is to vanish a blind in order to negate that opener advantage. the way to do that of course is to learn when he will blind you (immediately after you trinket usually) and time your vanish around that.

these clips are from patch 3.0 but many of the concepts are similar:
    Subtlety Rogue was an amazing, incredible, unique, and fun spec prior to Legion and BfA

“All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.”

― Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by shoegazing View Post
    speed in WoW PvP is mostly a matter of game knowledge and prediction.
    And to quote Akrios, it's prediction vs. reaction. As in, if you're fast enough to react on what you're looking for. Sadly the article got lost in time alongside the original roguerogue.

That video is amazing btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackstraw View Post
    That video is amazing btw.
    It's a favorite for sure ^^

I assume you already know it, but for anyone else who may be reading, you can also view the same duels from Neilyo's perspective, as well as duels vs. other top players like Sodah, Pookx, and Venruki in Neilyo's 3.0 duels video (also I greatly prefer the Andy McKee soundtrack):

The duels vs. the various mages, playing the all new Shadow Dance build, are really exciting. There is one where he forces Venruki to block around 50% with both Cloak and Dance still available, and you just know he's going to ruin Ven in hypothermia
    Last edited by shoegazing; 2020-11-12 at 06:06 PM.

― Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by shoegazing View Post
    It's a favorite for sure ^^

I assume you already know it, but for anyone else who may be reading, you can also view the same duels from Neilyo's perspective, as well as duels vs. other top players like Sodah, Pookx, and Venruki in Neilyo's 3.0 duels video (also I greatly prefer the Andy McKee soundtrack):

The duels vs. the various mages, playing the all new Shadow Dance build, are really exciting. There is one where he forces Venruki to block around 50% with both Cloak and Dance still available, and you just know he's going to ruin Ven in hypothermia
    We should open a classic Rogue videos thread, just to show that there's some good stuff in the twenty videos Woundman published in a single season.

Also, at 5.20 in Neilyo 14.5, our boy shadowsteps into the future.

Also #2,
    The greatest thing about Akrios vs. Neilyo is that if you read the chat there's a super interesting discussion about using Premed during Shadowdance to 2cp Deadly Throw in order to interrupt from range.
    Deadly Throw interrupt would end up being removed in 3.0 due to balance concerns, whereas you had to kill Death Knights three times to win an arena match.

Ive hated WoW pvp all my life, but even i remember deadly throw interrupt fondly.
    A witty saying proves nothing.
    -Voltaire
    winning
    plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

Quote Originally Posted by ymirsson View Post
    Ive hated WoW pvp all my life, but even i remember deadly throw interrupt fondly.
    I had this strat for our guild's Illidari council first kill, with two rogues sitting on the priestess with mind numbing main hand and the pvp gloves for DT kick. I don't remember if MN worked, but I do remember the both of them laughing at the futile attempts of the sad mob.