Poll: Should we wipe gold?

Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hell no. You don't punish the people who play your game for the sake of those who don't, that is literally the dumbest thing I've heard all week.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

It entirely depends on how it would be implemented. If they treat it like some upgrade on top of existing Classic servers, sure gold should tag along just like gear, mounts, profession level, consumables and collectible items.

IMO though, tBC should just start of fresh, level 1 for everyone. If blizzard wants to keep tBC separate from Classic like Classic is to retail, that would be a simple way to implement that launch.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

There is a simple solution for this, make a few new tbc realms that disallow any kind of transfer or copying for the first year. That way people who feel like they have no chance can go that route.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisnumbers View Post
    Except it does. Everything will cost more and there's rich people to pay the price, then we all get to buy epic flying faster.
    ez
    /facepalm sure sweetheart. That’s the issue here.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ZazuuPriest View Post
    No I understand that you think deleting gold from people with maybe 10s of thousands from vanilla will somehow make a magical difference in the economy when it wont because you make that much in a quarter of the time in BC.

Like i said the only people your idea hurts is the "little guy" sitting on 500 to a couple thousand gold who now has nothing
    Once again, I never said once that inflation wouldn’t happen eventually. For the final time, either address my argument by showing me you actually read what I said or don’t even bother.

Edit: also please, explain to me how people are going to make ‘tens of thousands’ of gold in tbc at a quicker pace. I would love to hear it.
    Last edited by Mosha; 2020-11-19 at 04:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosha View Post
    /facepalm sure sweetheart. That’s the issue here.

- - - Updated - - -

Once again, I never said once that inflation wouldn’t happen eventually. For the final time, either address my argument by showing me you actually read what I said or don’t even bother.

Edit: also please, explain to me how people are going to make ‘tens of thousands’ of gold in tbc at a quicker pace. I would love to hear it.
    Just from daillies you can earn a lot every day. Trashmobs drop more silver per kill, netherweave will be in such an abundance that you can craft bandages for a profit just like silk cloth but with higher values.

Everyone will be able to earn 150g-500g gold an hour with a little bit of effort. Classic doesn't really have that kind of gold injection per player per day. If you think a fresh slate will do anything to curb long term inflation even in relation to 2 years of classic you are kind off delusional to be honest :x

Quote Originally Posted by Fleugen View Post
    I do see how things COULD be bad if people with tons of gold are allowed to transfer. Imagine the price of Primal Might for an average player if every raider can buy it for several thousand gold. Nevermind the raid-only mats that will come later.

And since all the professions can be leveled to 300 on Classic prior to transfering to BC, good luck making any money on professions prior to BC training... And all the BC mats will be expensive as all hell, since the people buying them will have plenty of gold to spend on them...

It's the tiniest dominoes that collapse the whole lot.
    It would just mean the cut will be higher, effectively causing the economy to correct itself.
    Last edited by Shisui-kun; 2020-11-19 at 04:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shisui-kun View Post
    Just from daillies you can earn a lot every day. Trashmobs drop more silver per kill, netherweave will be in such an abundance that you can craft bandages for a profit just like silk cloth but with higher values.

Everyone will be able to earn 150g-500g gold an hour with a little bit of effort. Classic doesn't really have that kind of gold injection per player per day. If you think a fresh slate will do anything to curb long term inflation even in relation to 2 years of classic you are kind off delusional to be honest :x

It would just mean the cut will be higher, effectively causing the economy to correct itself.
    Okay you gotta show me your math here bud. Dailies will net you maybe 200g after doing all of them which will take way longer than an hour, where are you getting all this gold from? I feel like a shit ton of you talk about tbc without knowing much about it

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ymirsson View Post
    Until the farmers and the AH moguls come out ahead again.
    The reason why the AH and farmers were so rampant in classic is because of botting and multiboxing programs which have since been banned. No botting or multiboxing programs means less stuff on the AH to drive prices out of whack and a "better" economy can exist.

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    No, because people who've made gold and saved it for things they know are in TBC (epic flight, etc), would be screwed.
    Why and for what would people in classic be saving for in BC right now? As it stands, there hasn't even been talks from Blizzard about having a BC-classic server so what exactly would people right now be saving for in BC?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeanix View Post
    no they should not invalidate peoples progress.

- - - Updated - - -

what reasons are that? what is this sick obsession about what other people have?
    Has nothing to do with “what other people have more than me”

Quote Originally Posted by Mosha View Post
    Nope, not when tbc is all about static massive gold sinks that also completely alter how you play the game.

- - - Updated - - -

I've written this before so I'll try to be quick with this while still making my point.

As of right now, the average person is sitting on thousands of gold. Go into any random GDKP run and you will see people bidding 10-30 thousand gold on hot ticket items as we speak. What this means, is when hot ticket items or something that is really scarce but valuable in the AH or out in the world, that price is going to match what the 'average' player can afford.

Let me use a couple of examples. Back when classic launched, when the edge masters grieves dropped you could sell them for about 400-700g. A good price back then. You could realistically go out and farm that gold by yourself in a couple days and buy them if you were a fresh level 60. The price it goes for now is anywhere from 3-7k depending on the server. At the very start this price would have been almost IMPOSSIBLE to hit without going EXTREMELY deep into gold farming. This is also shown with how expensive prices were for items back in the real vanilla compared to today, almost everything is at least doubled if not blown through the roof. This is because of inflation and how much gold we have.

Okay I explained this to show you the issues with going into TBC with this amount of inflation.

Let's say you start the game off in TBC with no gold from classic. You hit end level. The MAIN way to make gold (at least back then) was through dailies. Dailies net you around 10ish gold (it varies) so the average person can make like 200ish gold per day off of them. Prices can be so inflated to the point where dailies are not realistically a viable way for you to farm gold now. If prices of one gem, or one primal is at 100g each, or god forbid even higher like 200g, then it is going to take you months and months of farming dailies to get to the point where you can purchase some of these items yourself.

Okay, so for a new player dailies won't be as valuable of a gold farm, so what do you do? You sell things on the AH for those crazy prices. But in order to farm these things you are going to be competing...a lot.... in order to mine/herb/farm motes you are going to have to be quick. But if you are a fresh character you know you will barely be able to afford your standard 60% flyer. Meanwhile everyone who farmed in classic is going to be sitting pretty on that 280% flyer mount.

A new player is just simply not going to be able to compete for nodes on their server flying around on a 60% speed. Not to even mention the amount of bots that will taking over the primal farms but that's a different discussion to be had.

Basically this almost suffocates a new player out of almost all of their farming capabilities simply because they didn't want to participate in a version of a game they didn't like. Dailies will be a waste of time if you can only purchase a single or even half an item a day that you need (some classes need upwards of 200-250 primals to get a full crafted set). Farming them yourself will also be hell moving at a staggering 220% slower flying speed. Honestly the only option to even remain relevant at that point is to buy gold illegally to get epic flyer so you can at least farm semi-decently.

Now if you wipe the gold this issue will be irrelevant until we get to a stage in the game where we are now with people running around on average of a couple thousand. But at that point, the people who wanted to play tbc will likely already be caught up enough to a point where they might have already replaced all their crafted gear and it is no longer an issue
    It has to do with it ruining the game

Is it a fresh server(with optional transfers)? Then yes. Of course it should be wiped. What you did on a classic server, should stay on a classic server. If the goal is to just extend certain servers into TBC, then no, you don’t wipe or cap gold for existing or transferred characters.

Quite honestly, I wouldn’t even allow transfers and just roll out fresh servers for TBC.

10+ Year Old Account
    It would probably be better for the economy if all the botting/multiboxing gold was taken out of the game so in that sense there is absolutely an argument in favor of doing so.
    But I think the thread bypasses a much more important question. Because we still don't even know the means by which blizzard is intending to have us experience classic TBC.

With that I mean if we can even copy/advance anything at all, if servers are going to be completely fresh, or anything of the sorts.
    I think that is a much more important question.

10+ Year Old Account
    There should be an account wide cap. I don't think it's fair to not allow people to take over gold, but it's also going to probably ruin the economy if there's no cap at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post

Why and for what would people in classic be saving for in BC right now? As it stands, there hasn't even been talks from Blizzard about having a BC-classic server so what exactly would people right now be saving for in BC?
    Because most people assume they'll do a TBC.

on the one hand im like, if you want to emulate the experience from 15 years ago, you should limit gold/stuff you can carry over, since people no doubt have farmed up more than they would ever need by now.

on the other hand im like, would it even matter? classic was nothing like vanilla. people know all the farming tricks, would it even delay anything by more than a few days?

i think they will limit it though, at the end of the day they will care more about new/returning players than the consistent players that's just the way of things.

and that will never happen because a huge percentage of people who played classic and leveled multiple toons would simply say 'fuck it' and quit.
    We'd lose some people, sure, but you underestimate peoples...uh...lust for BC, in general.

I'd honestly prefer a re-roll both for the economy reset, which I think is a good idea, but also because all the alternatives have problems.

I wish Bliz could get an accurate count of people who care about keeping a copy of their current characters on classic only servers, though. Cause if this would involve alot of dev time, and only a tiny % of players care about it, I hope they don't bother.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladar View Post
    They should have level 58 pre made characters, classic should be totally separate, no transfers.
    lol this is proly the worst version suggested,and its 100% not happenign,they wont give everyone free unearned 58's....it should be transfers,and knowing how blizzard wants to keep the experience authentic,im sure this is how they will go,optional free transfers

Quote Originally Posted by Hellobolis View Post
    on the one hand im like, if you want to emulate the experience from 15 years ago, you should limit gold/stuff you can carry over, since people no doubt have farmed up more than they would ever need by now.

on the other hand im like, would it even matter? classic was nothing like vanilla. people know all the farming tricks, would it even delay anything by more than a few days?

i think they will limit it though, at the end of the day they will care more about new/returning players than the consistent players that's just the way of things.
    If they decide to not right the ship after classic, ya you're right, it won't matter.

I'm hoping they are willing to actually do some work for a better BC though, like progressive itemization, and maybe possibly buffing raids so they aren't brain-dead steam rolls like classic raids have been.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    lol this is proly the worst version suggested,and its 100% not happenign,they wont give everyone free unearned 58's....it should be transfers,and knowing how blizzard wants to keep the experience authentic,im sure this is how they will go,optional free transfers
    I'd be ok with 1 or 2 premade 58's if they decide to do fresh servers, but unlimited 58's would break the economy because of transmutes.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    I don’t necessarily want there to be a connection between characters on classic and tbc classic at all, I don’t want to lose my characters in Classic and I want tbc Classic to be a complete reroll server (or rather, multiple).
    a connection is what would be the most authentic experience,keep classic as is,and give people the option for free transfers

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hinastorm View Post
    If they decide to not right the ship after classic, ya you're right, it won't matter.

I'm hoping they are willing to actually do some work for a better BC though, like progressive itemization, and maybe possibly buffing raids so they aren't brain-dead steam rolls like classic raids have been.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd be ok with 1 or 2 premade 58's if they decide to do fresh servers, but unlimited 58's would break the economy because of transmutes.
    I get that you would be ok,i wouldnt rly care either way,but they wont do it,they wont give free character boosts in classic/tbc,the transfer option is the simplest and most authentic recreation implementation there is

If there is a tbc

Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    a connection is what would be the most authentic experience,keep classic as is,and give people the option for free transfers

- - - Updated - - -

I get that you would be ok,i wouldnt rly care either way,but they wont do it,they wont give free character boosts in classic/tbc,the transfer option is the simplest and most authentic recreation implementation there is
    They wouldn't of asked about it in that survey if they weren't at least considering it though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zeanix View Post
    it has everything to do with that?
    Not really. From a big picture standpoint, an economy reset is a good thing for most people, because currently a minority of players hold most of the wealth.

But yes, sometimes individuals arguing for it may just be doing so for themselves, I won't deny that.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only people who want this are the losers who can't or won't make some gold. And no, I don't play the AH etc, but I still have 1500 gold or so.
    Seriously, this... I didn't do anything special, I didn't play the AH or abuse the economy, I've got all my gold just from making 1 refined deeprock salt every 3 days, anyone not sitting on at least a few hundred has no one to blame but themselves, it's piss easy to make gold in classic. Refine deeprock salt, transmute arcanite, make mooncloth, all of these things cost almost nothing to do compared to what they sell for, deeprock salt for example costs a few SILVER, and the end result of refining it sells for 35g because of the 3 day cooldown.
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2020-11-19 at 06:07 AM.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.