Thread: Zombie Griefing

Page 1 of 33
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Zombie Griefing

So these past few days I have been noticing a good number of people in game not very happy with the zombie event and understandably so. People leveling up and having their quest NPCs killed over and over, they themselves are killed over and over due to the zombies being way above their level, and just general griefing throughout the game. There was an argument in general about it and I wanted to chime in but I had too much to say so I thought I'd wait and voice my full opinion about it here.

Now it doesn't really affect me most of the time since all the characters I play are max level but I did have a situation last night where I was doing the Nathanos WQ and there was a small group of zombies just fucking everything up. I ended up dying a bunch of times and when Nathanos was finally killed I didn't get credit for it since I was dead. So I had to wait until he respawned again. It was pretty annoying since I didn't have a whole lot of time to play and I wanted to get some shit done on there before I had to get off. This is when I started to understand why people hated this event. Like, the event itself is a cool idea and can be fun but the problem is that the douchebags of this game take advantage of it and turn it into a griefing event and that's when it stops being fun.

I'm not saying they should never do an event like this ever again because I genuinely think this is one of the best pre launch events (favorite was Legion invasions) but at least do something to lessen the amount of griefing that happens. Like, keep the zombie infection in and around the main city areas only instead of letting people go all the way out there so they can fuck up people's questing experience. That way people who don't want to bother with the event have a way to opt out of it and quest in peace. Have npc zombie invasions of the smaller camps and towns that lower level players can participate in and gain exp from. Maybe then more people would've been more welcoming of this event. The way it is now just feels like Blizzard turned on PVP for all servers and called it an event.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

5+ Year Old Account
    The griefing IS the event.

Quote Originally Posted by Grubenwolf View Post
    Like, keep the zombie infection in and around the main city areas only instead of letting people go all the way out there so they can fuck up people's questing experience. That way people who don't want to bother with the event have a way to opt out of it and quest in peace.

Hey guys it's a zombie apocalypse, BUT ONLY IN THE CITY!!!

"That's a bad zombie, you can't leave Stormwind" - Stormwind Guard, 2020

Quote Originally Posted by enigma77 View Post
    The griefing IS the event.
    NO it isn't. That is not the intent of the event. But people abuse itbecuae they get their rocks off to ruining the fun of others. All they had to do was go with their original plans of Warmode only. But they never learned from the first event. They just cannot seem to grasp that having an event that causes people to not login is bad for the game. It's a staggering level of incompetence from the devs.

That way people who don't want to bother with the event have a way to opt out of it and quest in peace.
    From the official post regarding the prepatch event:

https://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/...-launch-event/

Originally Posted by Blizzard
    Tip: If you wish to be your true self you must visit an Argent Healer for aid, or use the Zombie Explosion! ability to expel the blight from your body, killing you and dealing high damage to enemies in the area.
    Going to the healer before being turned into a zombie helps.

I have yet to see a single Zombie, then again I am just leveling my alts.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    NO it isn't. That is not the intent of the event. But people abuse itbecuae they get their rocks off to ruining the fun of others. All they had to do was go with their original plans of Warmode only. But they never learned from the first event. They just cannot seem to grasp that having an event that causes people to not login is bad for the game. It's a staggering level of incompetence from the devs.
    Wait so they released the event the right way so you can infect everyone? If this is the case I may actually participate in it. I play with Warmode on Regardless.

Doing worldquest, afk city or bot ah is fun?
    Last edited by Tarba; 2020-11-19 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Throwme View Post
    From the official post regarding the prepatch event:

https://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/...-launch-event/

Originally Posted by Blizzard
    Tip: If you wish to be your true self you must visit an Argent Healer for aid, or use the Zombie Explosion! ability to expel the blight from your body, killing you and dealing high damage to enemies in the area.
    Going to the healer before being turned into a zombie helps.
    They only exist in SW and Org. Where are they in Ice Crown or Boralus?

1. The griefing is a feature, not a bug.
    2. The event is over in 4 days, so I don't really understand the big deal.

10+ Year Old Account
    And yet its not in its original form. No wonder why it got reduced.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

We've all heard the complaints before. We heard them when the blood plague infected every city when ZG first came out. We heard it in the first zombie invasion before Naxx. We heard it again in the Wrath pre-event. Is it a pain when you're trying to level a character? Yes, it can be. But it lasts a short time (just a week this time), and it adds a whole new level of excitement to the game that's not normally there. The player-zombies are mostly contained to the primary cities (SW/Org), and you can easily skip those 99% of the time. If someone's out killing NPCs, hop back on your main and kill rares in IC, solo old dungeons/raids, or join in with the other zombies. It's likely to be ten years or more (if ever) before this event happens again, so relax and enjoy the very limited-time fun.

This is when I started to understand why people hated this event. Like, the event itself is a cool idea and can be fun but the problem is that the douchebags of this game take advantage of it and turn it into a griefing event and that's when it stops being fun.
    So this is the same complaint as the last when this event was introduced. And probably the reason why Blizzard was quite apprehensive about reintroducing it.

It does seems like most people think it is a nice event until they themselves are personal inconvenience by it. These people are not wrong in their complaint except they should not agree it is good and then it is bad when it affects them.

I myself was turned in a zombie during Nathanos and had to rekill him a second time. Ideally people would kill the zombies when they appear as I was killed by another player when I got turned. However, I imagine most players were too focus on Nathanos to notice the zombie. I did not so got turn.

5+ Year Old Account
    Nonsense, the chaos and being able to attack everyone is the fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarba View Post
    Doing worldquest, afk city or bot ah is fun?
    WQ's are fun. Doing the rares in Icecrown is fun. Killing Nathanos is fun. Trying to complete the quests for this event that do happen in the City can be done and should be able to be completed without harrassment. There is a lot of fun to be had.

OF course on my realm those with Warmode off have basically told Blizzard where to shove it by not participating at all. Immediately kill whatever zombie shows up and go about your business. Blizzard needs to realize that forcing your players to do content like that will always be a failure and that refusing to put in an opt out will not cause more players to partake. THey will simply find ways to avoid it. The devs really are clueless.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would argue that the Plague hasn't been pushed hard enough. We're barely a week away from launch and even on a highly populated server like EU Silvermoon I have only really seen the effects of the Plague hitting important landmarks like Stormwind, the portal room, and the Northrend rares yesterday. Besides that, nothing. It is incredibly tame compared to the old event back in 2008. The most memorable outbreak I have seen was when the Plague hit the rare hunting group when we were on Bronjahm. More of that please.

When the Plague got out back in Wrath, it was utter chaos. Shattrath, Stormwind, and several zones could get completely inhospitable because of the army of Undead pushing in everywhere. It was absolutely glorious mayhem for like a couple of weeks at most before returning to regular gameplay.

I don't know what they have done this time, but to me it is pretty apparent that the devs downscaled the outbreak to the point where it can not become nearly as chaotic.
    Last edited by Frozen Death Knight; 2020-11-19 at 04:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wysimdnwyg View Post
    We've all heard the complaints before. We heard them when the blood plague infected every city when ZG first came out. We heard it in the first zombie invasion before Naxx. We heard it again in the Wrath pre-event. Is it a pain when you're trying to level a character? Yes, it can be. But it lasts a short time (just a week this time), and it adds a whole new level of excitement to the game that's not normally there. The player-zombies are mostly contained to the primary cities (SW/Org), and you can easily skip those 99% of the time. If someone's out killing NPCs, hop back on your main and kill rares in IC, solo old dungeons/raids, or join in with the other zombies. It's likely to be ten years or more (if ever) before this event happens again, so relax and enjoy the very limited-time fun.
    It ISN'T fun nor does it bring any excitement to the game for tyhose that wish not to partake. Players will just find other ways to avoid it and you will hjave the same end result as putting in an opt out toggle. Their attempts at trying to force people to partake so their numbers look good is a failure. PUtting in content that irritates people is ALWAYS bad for the game. The first time proved it. The devs are proof of the old adage "Those that don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by enigma77 View Post
    Nonsense, the chaos and being able to attack everyone is the fun.
    No it isn't. If you think ruining the fun of others is fun, then you have serious issues.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can unflag yourself for the WQ's by taking a short flight path travel. So there's a way to avoid this but people seem to be unaware of this.

Also if you completely log out and in again the zombie debuff is gone.

Seems to me the problem is not the event but people being unaware of how to effectively counter the negatives of it, Blizzard doesn't allow for much or any grieving so there are always ways around this.
    Last edited by Acidbaron; 2020-11-19 at 04:25 PM.
    “My philosophy is: It’s none of my business what people say of me and think of me. I am what I am and I do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. And it makes life so much easier.
    ― Anthony Hopkins

This is supposed to be a major event.

I've seen exactly 1 zombie.

GG Blizz on making a pre-patch event even more forgettable than the Cata one.

Quote Originally Posted by infinitemeridian View Post
    1. The griefing is a feature, not a bug.
    2. The event is over in 4 days, so I don't really understand the big deal.
    It isn't a feature, otherwise they wouldn't have watered it down do much. It's hilarious too because if they had just used Warmode for an opt out toggle, they could make it as chaotic as they wanted and nobody would have complained. They are not bright at all.

5+ Year Old Account
    It ISN'T fun nor does it bring any excitement to the game for tyhose that wish not to partake. Players will just find other ways to avoid it and you will hjave the same end result as putting in an opt out toggle. Their attempts at trying to force people to partake so their numbers look good is a failure. PUtting in content that irritates people is ALWAYS bad for the game. The first time proved it. The devs are proof of the old adage "Those that don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it".

- - - Updated - - -

No it isn't. If you think ruining the fun of others is fun, then you have serious issues.
    Okay, keep denying the obvious that you even talked about