Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PixelFox View Post
    This is a warning for anyone who thought like I did that it would be clever to just do the mainline story quests (the ones with a shield ! icon) and save the side quests for later. Well, guess what, you'll hit a wall at level 57 where you can't continue with the mainline
    story quest chain until you get to 58.

So, time to re-trace my steps and start grinding side quests for 3/4 of a level.

Thanks O'Blizzard!
    Did you just blast thru as fast as possible? Maybe you can run some dungeons
    "Voted Most Likely To Be Banned From The Forum."

Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    This was never an issue in classic/vanilla and I wasn't referring to classic as the re-released version, but the original. Typically if quests weren't spawning it was because you were missing breadcrumbs and stuff that led to it. Since it was a breadcrumb GM's were more likely to "brute force it" and let you pick up the next one especially if you did it in Wrath when things were leaving.
    actualy, in very early versions it was possible, as quite a lot of zones did get updates later, silithus was prety much empty for first half of vanila

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    This was not the case. I leveled specifically through main story quests in BFA to unlock the things I had to for reps and allied races on an alt. Needed maybe 1.5 zones worth of main quests only to do it. Legion was the same. I did main story quests. Faster and more streamlined. Needed to to unlock some things.
    with heirlooms and exp potion in late patches after HUGE exp nerfs i assume...

Quote Originally Posted by City Pop View Post
    I did side quests in Bastion and then main story only in the rest and hit 60 very early in Revendreth. This was this the 30% war mode bonus, but lack of quests was no issue for me.
    I managed to hit L60 about 2/3rds of the way through Revendreth with WM off, only doing sidequests in Bastion, plus one dungeon.

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    Been hearing about this issue from more and more people. Was planning on leveling my next toon with WM off; something I rarely do: turn wm off. After hearing from various people that they aren't hitting levels at appropriate rates.... yeah, fuck turning off WM.
    i did very little side q in bastion and didnt hit any problem until 57 in ardenweald where i did one dungeon and went back on track, and actualy had to do end of revendreth (bcs doing some side q there) after hiting cap
    with war mode off, so honestly unless you totaly ignore anything that isnt "main" q line you will be fine

This is a warning for anyone who thought like I did that it would be clever to just do the mainline story quests (the ones with a shield ! icon) and save the side quests for later. Well, guess what, you'll hit a wall at level 57 where you can't continue with the mainline story quest chain until you get to 58.

So, time to re-trace my steps and start grinding side quests for 3/4 of a level.

Thanks O'Blizzard!
    "I thought i can skip 2/3 of the quest and hit max level, BUT NOT!!! WARNING!!!! THANKS BLIZZARD!!!!!!44!!!!"

Jesus... is this a real post or trolling?

Also, i hit lvl60 by doing every quest and a few dungeons at the beginning of the Night Fae area, so i had almost half the content left to do at max level. THANKS BLIZZARD

Quote Originally Posted by Lolites View Post
    with heirlooms and exp potion in late patches after HUGE exp nerfs i assume...
    No. Nearly day 1 for BFA since I wanted to have the grind over with. Same with legion. My main got gutted in the first patch into pure oblivion, so I had to switch quickly. Didn't bother side tracking. Just did main objectives for artifact stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

This was never an issue in classic/vanilla and I wasn't referring to classic as the re-released version, but the original. Typically if quests weren't spawning it was because you were missing breadcrumbs and stuff that led to it. Since it was a breadcrumb GM's were more likely to "brute force it" and let you pick up the next one especially if you did it in Wrath when things were leaving.
    It was actually an issue in Vanilla on release. They patched it fairly quickly for those days but they had to come up with new quests. On release, pure questing did not get you to lvl 60.
    "DIE, INSECT!" - words to live by

Why would people just skip every and all side quests? Like I get not doing all of them, that is reasonable, but doing none of them? Especially since some side quests overlap with main quest objectives.

Quote Originally Posted by rhrrngt View Post
    The easiest fix is simple require the dungeon quest in the main story. I got stuck at 53 57 and 59 but doing the dungeon quest+ random dungeon (usually its the only dungeon in the roulette) got me my lvl each time.
    There is no easy way. If you only do the main story, you are gimping yourself deliberately. A majority of side quests overlap the main story or at the very least, are in the area of main story quests. Its sheer idiocy to skip them. Its being stubborn just to be stubborn. You also get like 20-25% of a level doing a dungeon. The people getting hard stuck are just being silly.

Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    Not sure what is so hard about doing the side quests. Sometimes they are even right in the same area as your main story quests. It makes absolutely zero sense not doing them.

Laziness and stupidity to the max level...
    They often take more time to complete than the one or two story quests in the area take to do. And some people just wanted to get through the main story quests so they could unlock the dungeons, reach max level, get their covenant stuff started and start on an alt or four. Maybe gear up in there somewhere.

And it wasn't lazy or stupid to do. It took a whole six dungeons to replace the multiple hours of side quests it would've taken to fill in the exp gaps to get through each zone.
    I'm a thread killer.

Field Marshal
    5+ Year Old Account
    oh thx for the info.. my plan was actually to only level like that, but now i have to rethink my steps a bit..

This is a warning for anyone who thought like I did that it would be clever to just do the mainline story quests (the ones with a shield ! icon) and save the side quests for later. Well, guess what, you'll hit a wall at level 57 where you can't continue with the mainline story quest chain until you get to 58.

Thanks O'Blizzard!
    just do all the side quests in Bastion, and Maldraxxus, and then you can stick to just Main Story quests in Ardenweald, and Rivendreth, to hit 60
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler

If you are trying to AE tank and a bad dps is attacking the wrong target and dies, we call that justice.

Thanks O'Blizzard!
    This is the main STORY quest line.

Not the one and unique exclusive quest line you should do.
    In what universe can you misunderstand that???

This was never the case in old expansions. My first time through was always doing the quests only and never once experienced that or heard of it. Where as this expansion there have been several threads about it and major complaints during beta.
    MoP had this issue VERY early on, the XP was changed at some point without any kind of hotfix note to my knowledge. Both myself, and my GM at the time remember having to grind the last bit because Dread wastes just ran out of quests.

Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    Not classic, actual vanilla
    There is not difference in quests between Classic and vanilla...

heard countless stories from my previous guild old-timers they had to grind mobs to get more levels.
    They were lying to you.

Even if it wasn't entirely true, those quests weren't as easy as it is now to obtain (DUH! since i had entire questlines not appearing at all while doing loremaster and had to contact GM)
    After Cata quests are TOTALLY different in most cases.
    You can't compare them.

I remember when AION first came out, you got to 21, and the next set of quests were not until you were 25, so had to spend hours just grinding mobs to level up enough.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Thanks O'Blizzard!
    So after years of People usually just grabbing all the quests in an Area since "main" storyline quests were rarely ever distinguished differently, People are now doing only 1 quest line in a Zone and are surprised they are running short on EXP?

Well imagine my fucking shock. Jesus Christ it seems People just search for shit to complain about these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Mendzia View Post
    There is not difference in quests between Classic and vanilla...
    Well actually yes, as classic started on the last patch of vanilla/ pre patch of BC. Quests definitely were not the same in the first versions of vanilla. Actually I even had to grind mobs in BC as I leveled a bloodelf paladin from level 1. Sure, possibly you could level to 60 in vanilla only doing quests but this was much slower and you had to travel a lot because the zone often had different level brackets.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hm, you missed something for sure.

Yesterday I hit 60 and I have half of the mainline in Ravendreth left.

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    I must be doing something wrong then, I've just landed in Ardenweald at level 57.3. I've done only main quests but killed a lot of mobs in the way and also I've done 5 dungeon runs.