Great gatsby, thoughts?

I got it recommended to me by Quentin.

Great piece of literature. One of the best commentaries about the psyche of the American identity and was contemporaneous the times it was written to boot. So the book also fits being an art within context.

Written very lushly as well. Wonderful use of imagery.

My favorite line from the book is spoken by the major cause of the work, Daisy Buccahan of her daughter; "I hope she’ll be a fool. That’s the best thing a girl can be in this world, a beautiful little fool."

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Narwhalosh Whalescream View Post
    I got it recommended to me by Quentin.
    It's mediocre. Everybody is shallow, life is cynical, society is too hedonistic, blah blah blah. There's no character to care about and the protaganist is a person who could never attain anything meaningful under any circumstances. It couldn't be less interesting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Overrated access that lead to a lot of suffering. That was pretty much my thesis on the book...

Oh and to be fair... My teacher in college vehemently disagreed... still got an A. What @Fencers is saying is far closer to the way the book is accepted in literature. I just disagree... it’s a celebration of access...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    It's mediocre. Everybody is shallow, life is cynical, society is too hedonistic, blah blah blah. There's no character to care about and the protaganist is a person who could never attain anything meaningful under any circumstances. It couldn't be less interesting.
    The time period is the main character.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

One of the worst books I had to read.

10+ Year Old Account
    Look, someone missed the point.

Books aren't automatically written to have the protagonist be the "good guy", or to resolve some significant conflict in a positive manner. The entire thematic point of The Great Gatsby is that the wealthy are snobbish, prissy, useless leeches on society, entirely obsessed with the most inane garbage.

It's a novel about the collapse of the American dream, how much of a sham the whole idea ever was.

Saying it's "bad" because the characters are all shallow materialists is like arguing that Orwell's 1984 was "bad" because it's depressing and inhumane, or thinking that Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet is bad because the main characters both die useless deaths and their love doesn't save them. It just means you missed the entire point of the book.

10+ Year Old Account
    ...That's literally the point. It's a social criticism of American culture as it emerged after the Great War.

I reckon America would be less violently American if more Americans read and understood the Great Gatsby, lol. Literally one of the last scenes in the book is pointing out how someone with exorbitant wealth and the many "friends" that brings can end up dying alone and being buried at a barely attended funeral, then immediately forgotten by most people.

That doesn't jive with the "more money = more happiness" belief that is intrinsic to the American Dream.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Saying it's "bad" because the characters are all shallow materialists is like arguing that Orwell's 1984 was "bad" because it's depressing and inhumane, or thinking that Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet is bad because the main characters both die useless deaths and their love doesn't save them. It just means you missed the entire point of the book.
    It's more like the people who think R + J is a story about romantic love and not a story about feuding and the impact that has on less mature family members, lol.
    Last edited by Elegiac; 2020-12-01 at 04:36 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    It's more like the people who think R + J is a story about love and not a story about feuding, lol.
    There's really two themes;
    1> Kids are fucking morons who can't think straight.
    2> Feuding between families leads to everyone losing, no one winning.

Everyone forgets Rosaline's existence. Seriously, Shakespeare doesn't include her by accident. You're supposed to see Romeo head over heels for Rosaline, and then bammo, who's Rosaline, I gotta sex me that Juliet hottie. Romeo's a hormone-addled dickhead, not a romantic ideal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    There's really two themes;
    1> Kids are fucking morons who can't think straight.
    2> Feuding between families leads to everyone losing, no one winning.

Everyone forgets Rosaline's existence. Seriously, Shakespeare doesn't include her by accident. You're supposed to see Romeo head over heels for Rosaline, and then bammo, who's Rosaline, I gotta sex me that Juliet hottie. Romeo's a hormone-addled dickhead, not a romantic ideal.
    Same with Paris and the ticking clock on Juliet's marriage - she's attracted to Romeo primarily because of the novelty and freedom that represents.

Also the Baz Luhrmann version was the best one don't @ me. No one ever remembers Paul Rudd was Paris.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.