Page 92 of 115 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    My main gripe about this show is that they either need to give some serious backstory and story arcs to the rest of the bridge crew, or they need to ignore them completely. As it is now they get some lines and camera time here and there but it all comes across really cringe worthy because you don't give a shit about them, because you have no idea who they are. Seriously I've watched all episodes this far and apart from the main characters and the pilot, Detmer, I have no idea what the rest are even named.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    My main gripe about this show is that they either need to give some serious backstory and story arcs to the rest of the bridge crew, or they need to ignore them completely.
    It is a problem. We're supposed to care when people like Nhan leave the ship, or when Airiam gets spaced, but we don't...because the rest of the crew (aside from Tilly and Stamets) are just props at the moment. That's why I have such a big problem with Burnham being the center of everything. Because they don't bother fleshing anyone else out.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post

They literally bring up the Klingon's difference in appearance in DS9...and have an entire story arc dedicated to it in ENT. I don't know how you're possibly going to just handwave away appearance changes like this while also pretending that what amounts to a retcon at worst (seeing as it could just as easily be explained by...you know...the passage of time) is this huge deal.
    They made a joke about it in a comedy episode. And bringing up ENT in a continuity debate is pretty funny, ngl. Visual changes as a result of advancing visual and practical effects can be forgiven, I mean if Discovery used TOS control panels and such it'd be pretty funny and kind of goofy, I can see why they wouldn't. But referencing canon and then ignoring canon when it suits you is just insulting. It's like if they said "Hey, remember Kirk?" and then "No human has ever met a Gorn, let alone fought one!"

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It is a problem. We're supposed to care when people like Nhan leave the ship, or when Airiam gets spaced, but we don't...because the rest of the crew (aside from Tilly and Stamets) are just props at the moment. That's why I have such a big problem with Burnham being the center of everything. Because they don't bother fleshing anyone else out.
    It's not their fault they didn't have color differentiation in their uniforms back then, all those people we don't care about are literally red shirts
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    My main gripe about this show is that they either need to give some serious backstory and story arcs to the rest of the bridge crew, or they need to ignore them completely. As it is now they get some lines and camera time here and there but it all comes across really cringe worthy because you don't give a shit about them, because you have no idea who they are. Seriously I've watched all episodes this far and apart from the main characters and the pilot, Detmer, I have no idea what the rest are even named.
    The pilot's having some sort of implant brain malfunction which apparently just makes her an asshole (although I don't blame anyone for not noticing seeing is how it's literally the only character trait of everyone not name Saru). That's a development. They also have names now that people actually use in the show, so yeah...
    Tonight for me is a special day. I want to go outside of the house of the girl I like with a gasoline barrel and write her name on the road and set it on fire and tell her to get out too see it (is this illegal)?

At this point Burnham being part of any hierarchical command structure is just a bad joke...

"Sir, I promise i'll do better in the future"

Next episode: "Fuck it, YOLO."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ara Myrr View Post
    At this point Burnham being part of any hierarchical command structure is just a bad joke...

"Sir, I promise i'll do better in the future"

Next episode: "Fuck it, YOLO."
    Well, there's a hint at the end of the last episode that she might resign.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    Well, there's a hint at the end of the last episode that she might resign.
    hm, possibly, didn't get that impression though.

If she did though, how would the show proceed? She's at the center of nearly every episode.

They could theoretically have Burnham, Booker & Phillipa crew up and turn that into the section 31 spinoff.

Saru and the crew of Discovery could then follow are more traditional 'trek' setting of rebuilding Starfleet in this future.

Won't happen but i'd be on board for that tbh.

Well a good run came to an end. I liked the episode but they definitely StarWarsedTheShitOutOfThisOne. I would've thought that 32ndCenturyChewbaaca would've been good in a fight but they left him at home.

Star Trek is still winning this season 5-1.5. I'm giving Star Wars half a point for certain elements in Episode 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    Well a good run came to an end. I liked the episode but they definitely StarWarsedTheShitOutOfThisOne.
    This mentality is laughable. There has literally always been action in Star Trek. Deal with it. Had the internet been around back then, I wonder if you people would have mocked the idea of Janeway running around with a phaser rifle, or the Defiant blowing the shit out of everything in its path too.

This mentality is laughable. There has literally always been action in Star Trek. Deal with it. Had the internet been around back then, I wonder if you people would have mocked the idea of Janeway running around with a phaser rifle, or the Defiant blowing the shit out of everything in its path too.
    They gotta make up for season 1 where Star Wars won 14-1.

Generally in the previous shows, action-heavy episodes were still secondary to the story. I don't blame people for grumbling about season 1 and to a lesser extent season 2. Honestly I was hoping for an entire season of SciencingTheShitOutOfStuff and no fighting at all.

man I really miss the vibes captain pike brought... season 3 hasn't been the same, especially with this far future shit

10+ Year Old Account
    Except the net was around back then?

It amazes me all the lies Drekkies will say to try and cover up for how absolutely anti-Trek this shitshow is

But I understand, you need to lie through your teeth and try and cover up because this trash is THAT bad

I'm going to apply as writer for Disco.

Convoluted plot filled with holes, pointless emotional stuff, Burnham saves the day.

Can't be to hard.

I can't believe how bad the latest episode was, making the ensign the number one is quite possibly one of the silliest things I've seen in fiction recently (not to mention Harry Kim is spinning in his grave).

Everything about this episode took the small flickering ember of hope I had this season would embrace trek now they weren't trampling all over the established universe by making the show a prequel and pissed all over it.
    Tonight for me is a special day. I want to go outside of the house of the girl I like with a gasoline barrel and write her name on the road and set it on fire and tell her to get out too see it (is this illegal)?

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Body positivity makes ensigns XOs
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

I'm really enjoying Discovery.

I haven't been reading all the criticisms etc, and I actually think that's helped. I actually look forward to watching it every Thurs/Fri/Saturday

Been watching TNG too for the last few weeks on Season 5 atm, I'm also really enjoying it.

I fail to see the criticism, the shows are very different true, but only in the sense that one is episodic, the other is more like a long movie story told in series episodes.

It's a lot of fun to watch, and i never think much about how accurate fiction is, both for TNG and Discovery.

I am no longer caring about gender and sexual orientation and all the ou of show talk, just watch the show and the story it tells, the fiction it brings.

I like it.

- - - Updated - - -

I think another star trek show will help the fans who've been hurt.

That Strange Worlds show would work - a more episodic TNG type show, similar to Orville would be a nice additional flow.

Discovery is still a lot of fun, would be good to have something like Strange New Worlds or similar - maybe set in the 26th Century ..

Another show I think would be interesting is if they did one called Starfleet Academy.

I Like Discovery. Did not feel like the old shows in season 1 but got back on track in the following.

The only annoyance i have with it is the constant whining. Like literal whining. They are officers. Highly trained. But cry all the time. An burnham can do whatever she wants with a slight slap on the wrist.

The whole bitching about SJW stuff i will never get. Star Trek was ALWAYS extremly progressive. It is not even preachy about it. It is just there. Exactly what people always say they want with minorities. ( i ignore people who get their tits in a twist the second they see a minority anywhere )

What i am missing is new aliens. I loved seeing new races pop up here and there like in VOyager.

Quote Originally Posted by VinceVega View Post
    I Like Discovery. Did not feel like the old shows in season 1 but got back on track in the following.

The only annoyance i have with it is the constant whining. Like literal whining. They are officers. Highly trained. But cry all the time. An burnham can do whatever she wants with a slight slap on the wrist.

The whole bitching about SJW stuff i will never get. Star Trek was ALWAYS extremly progressive. It is not even preachy about it. It is just there. Exactly what people always say they want with minorities. ( i ignore people who get their tits in a twist the second they see a minority anywhere )

What i am missing is new aliens. I loved seeing new races pop up here and there like in VOyager.
    I loved season 1 too, I just accept it's a different story, but it feels very much star trek, just another type of voyage.

I can understand the bitching about SJW, and all the politicisation, and I understand their point and agree that this is happening. However, it doesn't make Discovery a bad show at all, and i can't hate it just because of that.

I didn't notice the whining as much, but you have a point. I like the Mandalorian for different reasons too.

I find it hilarious that as a demoted science officer, Burnham just seems so much more than anyone else on Discovery - loo at how she is written in the meeting on Vulcan.

I reckon control caused the burn, or Discovery /red angel inadvertently caused it - this is my theory, and either Discovery will continue to show the rebuilding of the Federation almost like a 31st century retelling of the original event in the canon, or they will fix the burn at the end of the episode.

I would like Discovery to stay in the 31st century, I think it's kinda cool, and there is much more new stuff they can do with it there.

It also opens the door for another Star Trek series that is more like the previous star trek shows

Quote Originally Posted by Beloren View Post
    I loved season 1 too, I just accept it's a different story, but it feels very much star trek, just another type of voyage.

I can understand the bitching about SJW, and all the politicisation, and I understand their point and agree that this is happening. However, it doesn't make Discovery a bad show at all, and i can't hate it just because of that.

I didn't notice the whining as much, but you have a point. I like the Mandalorian for different reasons too.

I find it hilarious that as a demoted science officer, Burnham just seems so much more than anyone else on Discovery - loo at how she is written in the meeting on Vulcan.

I reckon control caused the burn, or Discovery /red angel inadvertently caused it - this is my theory, and either Discovery will continue to show the rebuilding of the Federation almost like a 31st century retelling of the original event in the canon, or they will fix the burn at the end of the episode.

I would like Discovery to stay in the 31st century, I think it's kinda cool, and there is much more new stuff they can do with it there.

It also opens the door for another Star Trek series that is more like the previous star trek shows
    I don't think they will go back into the past. First because of the time acchordes and second becaus they found a way how why they are never mentioned again. If they go back it gets more difficult with timeywhimey stuff. Grandfather paradox basically. Also the ship now has 31st century tech. Way to advanced for the past.