Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

does Illidan have some mental or social disorder (serious)

i just thought about how a lot of Illidan's problems comes from his poor social skills, which made me wonder if he's all there in the head even for a fantasy universe. He's almost always got the right intentions in mind, but the way he goes about things and his inability to properly explain his actions, tendency to avoid people, or just being an asshole to look tough (alternatively "cool" to feed his ego) is pretty concerning.

The whole Illidan novel makes him seem really ridiculous in how a lot of the problems in BC were because people got fed up with his bizarre, vague personality.
    Last edited by YUPPIE; 2020-12-02 at 02:31 PM.

Would you be sane after having your eyes burned out? Or after being imprisoned for 10,000 years?
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    Would you be sane after having your eyes burned out? Or after being imprisoned for 10,000 years?
    Pretty much this.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    a lot of Illidan's problems comes from his poor social skills
    He had zero problems with social skills. Illidan was a "end justify the means" guy, and that was it. He would sacrifice everything as long as it wasn't his things and it achieved the safety of Azeroth. Big ego, great determination. The fact that he managed to gather so many willing followers proves that his social skills were at least good.

He spent 10,000 years alone, locked in a cell...

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    I would say Illidan expressed symptoms of borderline personality disorder before the events of the War of the Ancients, given his impulsivity, insecurity (constantly comparing himself to his brothers and others), and obviously impaired social relationships. The hardships and traumas of the war combined with his 10,000 year long imprisonment have only accelerated and intensified those initial symptoms into a more severe pathology (monomania and broad psychosis).
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

That would be an understatement. He's a wretched elf-demon hybrid who mutilated his body, you tell me.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

Quote Originally Posted by Vampyrr View Post
    "Lady Maiev, Illidan's escaped! Recruit a team of teenage night elves with attitude!" - Malfurion

10+ Year Old Account
    This, ladies and gentlemen, is what we call "reaching" and considering who the OP is, it isn't anything new.

3+ Year Old Account
    "Isolation can do that to the mind" - Tomb of Sargeras, Warcraft III: Frozen Throne
    The Alliance gets the Horde's most popular race. The Horde should get the Alliance's most popular race in return. Alteraci Humans for the Horde!

I make Warcraft 3 Reforged HD custom models and I'm also an HD model reviewer.

5+ Year Old Account
    Playing Classic, I've come across that bit of story where Malfie states that Illidan is fixed on reliving his battle against Arthas time and time again, and that in his mind, it was him who had won.

That sounds quite close to schizophrenia to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

well the only characters that do NOT seem to have some mental disorder are those with which the playerbase has trouble identifying with for being 'too vanila'... Jaina, Anduin,Thrall, Baine, Lor'themar coincidence?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanu View Post
    well the only characters that do NOT seem to have some mental disorder are those with which the playerbase has trouble identifying with for being 'too vanila'... Jaina, Anduin,Thrall, Baine, Lor'themar coincidence?
    I would disagree that those don't have a few screws loose.

Jaina
    Legendary flip flopping between hippy and warhawk. Up until BfA and her flip flop back to hippy, you could reasonably argue it made sense, if poorly presented. She held to her ideals in the face of great costs (sacrificing her father and thus homeland and family), only to see those ideals get her followers blown to bits, leading to her warhawk phase. That made sense, but "oh it's all just Sylvie, never mind! We cool, Horde!" is insane.

Anduin
    Despite all evidence in front of him, he clings to the idea of a good Horde (as per his standards of good) to a point way past stubbornness. He's shown himself completely willing to throw his allies, people, bodyguards, and even friends and family under the bus in pursuit of "redeeming" the Horde. His savior complex is off the charts.

Baine
    The problem with Baine (and @Super Dickmann, I'm attempting to present this as much a fair representation of our perspectives as possible) is not that he seeks peace. He's effectively the WC3 era Jaina in that goal, the problem is that he's a sneaking coward about it. Ironically, Jaina had more balls about her peace efforts than Baine does. On topic, he doesn't seem to learn from his mistakes (granted, the story rarely presents them as mistakes) and it could be argued he has a bizarre mix of complexes. He believes his morals are superior, but not enough to act on them until absolutely forced to do so and even then tries to get out of it. Maybe a simultaneous superiority and inferiority complex?

Lor'Themar
    Claims to live to serve his people, has anyone who disagrees mind controlled or removed, sees no conflict. Slimy opportunist with no real viewpoints other than survival, completely willing to go along with anything, no matter how morally repugnant, if it means he's not a target. I don't know the proper label for such, but he can't be entirely all there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    "Orc want, orc take." and "Orc dissagrees, orc kill you to win argument."
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    The Horde is basically the guy that gets mad that the guy that they just beat the crap out of had the audacity to bleed on them.
    Why no, people don't just like Sylvie for T&A: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ery-Cinematic/

Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    The fact that he managed to gather so many willing followers proves that his social skills were at least good.
    He was able to attract a cult of close followers who idolized him unquestioningly. He got along just fine with people who were willing to worship him and flatter his ego. The problem was with everyone else.
    Quote Originally Posted by matrix123mko View Post
    She lost against Arthas for purpose. She wanted to feed Quel'thalas to hungering darkness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well the fact that he's part demon might have something to do with it. I'm sure drinking that demon juice doesn't make you any nicer or smarter of a person. I would imagine it would have some kind of negative effect on the mind.

Also I would say the fact that everyone including his own brother criticized him and his choices his whole life justifies him being an "asshole" to everybody. He sacrificed a lot to save Azeroth and his people and all he got for it was shit from his beta wimp soyboy of a brother Malfurion. He probably just assumes everyone he meets it's just like the rest so he doesn't pretend to act all decent.

So Illidan's personality is justified. I don't think he's doing it to "fuel his ego". He's like that because he never really knew what it was like to be appreciated, just constant criticism and isolation. Imagine demons invading your world and the only way to stop them is to steal their power for your own and fight back using their own power against them. You succeed and if not for you your world and your people would be destroyed and engulfed in flames and all you get for it is your own brother bitching at you, disowning you as a brother and exiling you from your own home. Then being killed and brought back to life because shit got too hot again and they need your help since you are the only one that can and STILL getting shit on by people because you are part demon and you did "naughty" things 10,000 years ago. I think I'd be in a constant state of "pissed off all the time" too.
    Last edited by Pony Soldier; 2020-12-02 at 08:41 PM.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

i just thought about how a lot of Illidan's problems comes from his poor social skills, which made me wonder if he's all there in the head even for a fantasy universe. He's almost always got the right intentions in mind, but the way he goes about things and his inability to properly explain his actions, tendency to avoid people, or just being an asshole to look tough (alternatively "cool" to feed his ego) is pretty concerning.

The whole Illidan novel makes him seem really ridiculous in how a lot of the problems in BC were because people got fed up with his bizarre, vague personality.
    What a stupid post, i'm sorry but it takes 5minutes reading the lore of Illidan to consider the fact that maybe being in a prison for 10,000 years might make him oh I don't know not so social? or how about his brother taking the woman he loved and then casting him out? or the woman he loves not returning that love? Or his eyes being burnt out? OR his city being sunk to the ocean floor

Well he had to be a raid boss in bc with other known characters from war3. It's more retarded writing for easy money than anything. And then they had to retcon to bring him back for money. So once again, retarded writers.

He just really likes one-liners.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    Its ok to be not stable after all of it, but why he become so Ugly, i mean Legion cover image of him (pre meta i think) slender elf with big wings and horns but damn in-game face (after meta) looks like someone trolled and failed his plastic surgery. I can bet if he was so ugly on cover .....
    Please, there a perfect example of hypocritical thinking:
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    If Tinkers had anything to do with Hunters, but they don’t. Unlike Bards which are linked to Rogues.