Poll: Do you believe in psychics, extraterrestrial life, time travel, other universes?

Page 1 of 37
... LastLast

Question Do you believe in psychics, extraterrestrial life, time travel, other universes?

You don't need to take this entirely seriously. But just out of curiosity, do you personally believe in psychics, the possibility of extraterrestrial life, time travel, the existence of other alternate universes? During the Cold War, the Americans and Soviets spent millions on psychic espionage programs and trying to monitor potential signs of extraterrestrial life (there are even archives of their activities released online), and time travel and other universes also seem to be theoretically possible via science, though this remains highly controversial.

https://slate.com/technology/2017/03...s-in-1984.html

What do you personally think? Are there things in our reality which we cannot explain?
    Last edited by OwenBurton; 2020-12-26 at 08:22 AM.

3+ Year Old Account
    I believe in them all except Time Travel
    I don't play WoW anymore smh.

10+ Year Old Account
    I believe in alien life somewhere in the universe, i don't believe in intersteller travels.

Parallel universe is something plausable to science, if the experts say its possible, who am i to argue with them?

I don't belive in psych stuff.

I think there are things we can't explain because we may not have developed the proper test, which is why I get disappointed when science outright dismisses something.

Aliens, sure, though I don't agree with the general idea that all other life out there is nothing but bacteria, there might well be advanced civilizations out there who have zero interest in exploring the Universe or if they do have little interest in hairless monkeys and what we are blowing up next, or the boom booms are enough of a reason we've not heard from them.

Pyschics are a bit tougher, because there are definitely a lot of scam artists out there, so it casts a negative light on anyone that might be genuine.

Parallel Universes seem interesting, because it implies that all of us have a universe where we are Batman.

If time really is a big ball of wibbly wobbly, timey wimey stuff, and science can continue to advance, and the various laws rewritten or bent, then it could certainly be possible as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Psychics do not exist, and there is no concrete evidence of other universes, time travel, or life elsewhere.

However, statistically speaking, it’s incredibly likely there are other species out there on other planets, all of whom probably think they, too, are as alone as we are, because it’s unlikely we’ve all developed at the same time and the same pace. Given the mind-boggling distances involved that require mathematical abstraction to even comprehend, we will probably never meet up.

But to the rest? Nah.

Reality is an open book. So my mind is open to anything.

The fact that we don't have time travel yet kinda proves time travel does not exist.
    Extraterrestrial life? Sure, way too improbable that there's none.
    Psychics? I'm leaning nay, maybe someone can feel other persons feelings, but real mind reading and stuff like that is impossible.
    Other universes? Theoretically they might exist, in practice they don't, since if we can't interact with something in any way or form, it does not exist. Same as gods, really. You may believe there are other universes, but since they can't affect you, it's pointless to do so and their existance does not matter.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's all just a bunch of baloney.

Psychics in the traditional sense, as in predicting the future, no I am much less likely to believe. However mediums, sensitives and their kin I fully believe in.

Aliens, most certainly. This universe is so large and so abundant with galaxies like ours it is mathematically impossible for there not to be other living things. What that looks like and how advanced is all speculation.

Other dimensions, yeah I can see this as well and could help explain the first paragraph. Time travel I am going to have to say no, however I acknowledge that it is theoretically possible.

Aliens , I'm pretty sure it would be harder for them not be real than to be real.

Time travel is already a thing really considering the faster you can move the slower time gets in a broad sense. So going around the earth very fast does in fact slow down time for you making it a form of time travel.

Psychics , all they are are cons, some people are just good at picking up signals and playing with people thoughts via gestures, Derren Brown could easily convince someone that he is psychic if they didn't know he was a famous mentalist.

Other universes , sure why not , I mean we have groups of everything pretty much like lots of people on a planet , lots of planets in a galaxy , lots of galaxies in the universe , maybe there are lots of universes in something even bigger we are in.
    Last edited by Gamingsince1981; 2020-12-28 at 01:55 PM.

Psychics - Conmen preying on vulnerable people. ALL of them fail when put up against a mole.

Aliens - I very much believe that there must be life elsewhere in the Universe.

Time travel - I don't think we'll ever be able to do that, or that it's even remotely possible or functions like in Back to the Future.

Other Universes - I want to believe in them, it's amongst the coolest stuff in science fiction to me. But you won't find me preaching about their existence.

The best proof that time travel doesn't exist?

Stephen Hawking once organized a party for time travelers. But he only announced it after the event. If there were any time travelers, surely they'd have gone to this now famous event.

Psychics: Nope all charlatans.

Aliens: Sure, with the size of everything its more likely than not some other life exists someplace. Intelligent life though? Yeah probably does, i think if they came across us we would have long disappeared. Same with if we find traces of them, they would have long gone and it would be nothing more than artefacts to what used to exist.

Time Travel: Yeah, we can do it right now sorta those on the space station, long flights. Sure its very small amounts but it is what it is... We know how to do it, we know its a real thing. I don't think we will ever have the tech to go back and forward though in huge leaps. Even a few seconds would be pushing it. Probably the biggest jumps will be sending space craft out. Sending a slow one (fastest possible for the time), then a really fast updated that catches up kinda thing. This is not "travel" but we can see into the past every time we look into the distance, look up at the stars once in a while its taken a fair while for that light to reach your eye balls. What you are looking at is how it used to be not how it is in that very moment if you were on whatever you were looking at. Light (the image) takes time to travel. Who knows someone could be looking back at the earth in a million years long after you are dead and see you looking at them

Other Universes: Tough one, probably though very cool subject to speculate about and truly mind boggling stuff that's hard to even comprehend. So much stuff we don't know or are unable to test. We have very solid theories and know how to test some of them but we just don't have the ability to do so currently.
    Last edited by Stacie; 2020-12-28 at 02:24 PM.

time travel- depends what you mean,we know time passes differently by a tiny bit the further from earth you get,but full blown time travel like in movies going in the past?very unlikely,grandfather paradox

psyhics-no proof or rly sketchy stuff,james randy debunked so many,if it existed we would know by now

alternative universe- dont rly know much about this,would need to elaborate more on what you mean

aliens-pretty sure its a given that life exists someplace else in some form,we know there are frozen words out there,and planets in a similar position to their sun like ours

Quote Originally Posted by OwenBurton View Post
    You don't need to take this entirely seriously. But just out of curiosity, do you personally believe in psychics, the possibility of extraterrestrial life, time travel, the existence of other alternate universes? During the Cold War, the Americans and Soviets spent millions on psychic espionage programs and trying to monitor potential signs of extraterrestrial life (there are even archives of their activities released online), and time travel and other universes also seem to be theoretically possible via science, though this remains highly controversial.

https://slate.com/technology/2017/03...s-in-1984.html

What do you personally think? Are there things in our reality which we cannot explain?
    Psychics? Nope. As far as I know, each and every so-called psychic around the globe has been debunked.

Extra-terrestrial life? Yes. As far as I understand it, the universe is way too vast for just one, singular planet to have sentient life.

Time travel? Nope. As far as I know, it's impossible to time-travel. Through FTL, it's theoretically possible to slow down time so that you "arrive in the future", but there would be no "way back".

Alternate universes? Nope. As far as I know, "alternate universes" is nothing science fiction.

Why believe or not believe? I just keep an open mind. We don't even know 0,000001% of the Universe, it would be stupid to assume anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Phayde View Post
    I think there are things we can't explain because we may not have developed the proper test, which is why I get disappointed when science outright dismisses something.

Aliens, sure, though I don't agree with the general idea that all other life out there is nothing but bacteria, there might well be advanced civilizations out there who have zero interest in exploring the Universe or if they do have little interest in hairless monkeys and what we are blowing up next, or the boom booms are enough of a reason we've not heard from them.

Pyschics are a bit tougher, because there are definitely a lot of scam artists out there, so it casts a negative light on anyone that might be genuine.

Parallel Universes seem interesting, because it implies that all of us have a universe where we are Batman.

If time really is a big ball of wibbly wobbly, timey wimey stuff, and science can continue to advance, and the various laws rewritten or bent, then it could certainly be possible as well.
    science never dismisses anything,its not a being that can dismiss anything,its a mechanism,its observation and experiment,and most importantly its a self correcting methodology

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xlightning View Post
    Why believe or not believe? I just keep an open mind. We don't even know 0,000001% of the Universe, it would be stupid to assume anything.
    thats not how it works,you are either convinced by something based on the evidence or you are not,that doesnt mean you reject the posibilities of it existing or not,but its a binary question,do you think(believe) that pink unicorns exist?are you convinced of it or not?its always a yes or no scenario

The Universe is too big for Earth to be the only planet with intelligent life. So the extraterrestrial life part yes, the others no.
    Last edited by xuros; 2020-12-28 at 02:35 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Psychics? Nope. As far as I know, each and every so-called psychic around the globe has been debunked.

Extra-terrestrial life? Yes. As far as I understand it, the universe is way too vast for just one, singular planet to have sentient life.

Time travel? Nope. As far as I know, it's impossible to time-travel. Through FTL, it's theoretically possible to slow down time so that you "arrive in the future", but there would be no "way back".

Alternate universes? Nope. As far as I know, "alternate universes" is nothing science fiction.
    Not FTL, but nearingL, but yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Psychics do not exist, and there is no concrete evidence of other universes, time travel, or life elsewhere.

However, statistically speaking, it’s incredibly likely there are other species out there on other planets, all of whom probably think they, too, are as alone as we are, because it’s unlikely we’ve all developed at the same time and the same pace. Given the mind-boggling distances involved that require mathematical abstraction to even comprehend, we will probably never meet up.

But to the rest? Nah.
    the sad thing is that we and all other inteligent life far older than us are probably prisoners to the potential vast distances between us,never able to reach outside our space,its posible we cant travel so far,speed is a limitation,resources,lifespans,so much would need to advance to extreme levels for it to happen