Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Viable yes, doable even bigger yes, part of the optimal DPS team? No. But considering how piss-easy Classic is the last part is only for logmaking.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Farora View Post
    Check out esfands stream, hes a lootwhore with every item in the game, but still gets outdpsed by the level 30 summoning alt thats not even inside the instance.
    Cmon Esfand is the best ret paladin as he claims to be!

Quote Originally Posted by Oxyfuelcutter View Post
    Cmon Esfand is the best ret paladin as he claims to be!
    Hard to not be the best when you are the only one.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Magical Mudcrab View Post
    It's not "fine" so much as it is "nice to have" on top of their group buffs. I don't think Ret, even on Horde, broke so much as 50% of the damage of a relevant damage class.

Video relevant to OP's question.
    Our retribution paladin in TBC did 2200-2400 DPS in Sunwell on a fight like Brutallus. Warlocks, Hunters and Rogues (with warglaives) topped out around the 3000 (+/- 200 DPS )mark depending on blood lusts and certain 'power' pieces of gear.

Not being nit picky, but retribution (again, on Horde) were pretty much smack down in the middle of DPS, and basically every DPS could at least pull 2000 DPS in Sunwell (even Shadow Priests, which were one of the lower DPS classes, but offered huge damage gains). TLDR; I don't think there was a class, let alone a hybrid class that performed at 50% of the level of your top DPS classes in TBC. Most were around the ~70% mark, which I think was actually a stated design goal that they had (back when hybrids gave absurd amount of group buffs).

Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Our retribution paladin in TBC did 2200-2400 DPS in Sunwell on a fight like Brutallus. Warlocks, Hunters and Rogues (with warglaives) topped out around the 3000 (+/- 200 DPS )mark depending on blood lusts and certain 'power' pieces of gear.

Not being nit picky, but retribution (again, on Horde) were pretty much smack down in the middle of DPS, and basically every DPS could at least pull 2000 DPS in Sunwell (even Shadow Priests, which were one of the lower DPS classes, but offered huge damage gains). TLDR; I don't think there was a class, let alone a hybrid class that performed at 50% of the level of your top DPS classes in TBC. Most were around the ~70% mark, which I think was actually a stated design goal that they had (back when hybrids gave absurd amount of group buffs).
    We're talking about vanilla in this thread, not TBC. Ret is pretty okay in TBC, but in vanilla it's hot garbage even in Naxx with BIS gear.

Yeah, in TBC even the "hybrids" and "meme specs" can do at least ~60% of what the "pures" can do. But in vanilla? Ret paladins are lucky to do more DPS than the tanks.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    We're talking about vanilla in this thread, not TBC. Ret is pretty okay in TBC, but in vanilla it's hot garbage even in Naxx with BIS gear.

Yeah, in TBC even the "hybrids" and "meme specs" can do at least ~60% of what the "pures" can do. But in vanilla? Ret paladins are lucky to do more DPS than the tanks.
    It was a response to a response made like a week ago.

Retribution is trash in Vanilla and I don't think it's a secret to anybody, except those that try to make it work and convince others it's viable.