Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    You know... I haven't seen anyone posting things from Nazi-adjacent folks like Tim Pool and Andy Ngo. Are they still busy editing video to make this look like leftists?
    All I seen of Tim Pool was more criticizing Twitter and the like for 'unjust' censorship.

Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    All I seen of Tim Pool was more criticizing Twitter and the like for 'unjust' censorship.
    Fuck Tim Pool, he's a shitty Nazi.

10+ Year Old Account
    MERKEL opposing trump's ban? That surprises me since i'm pretty sure they didn't like eachother.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ts-problematic

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    What concerns me is that we'll just see the usual state of affairs where the "rank and file" bad guys get the book thrown at them while Trump - and his enablers, cronies and family - just hop into a helicopter on January 20th, flash twin peace signs, and fly off into the sunset.
    Oh when I say everyone, I mean everyone. Ted Cruz, Josh Hawley, Rudi, Trump, everyone who stirred the pot and stormed the Capitol.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by docterfreeze View Post
    MERKEL opposing trump's ban? That surprises me since i'm pretty sure they didn't like eachother.

Maybe France and Germany should read the First Amendment to the United States Constitution.

Luckily, the United States has stronger freedom of speech and freedom of association than the EU.

10+ Year Old Account

She says that it should be "decided by the citizens". I mean, it was. We voted him out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe France and Germany should read the First Amendment to the United States Constitution.

Luckily, the United States has stronger freedom of speech and freedom of association than the EU.
    Having read articles about the topic, the aren't criticizing them for breaking the law, so your answer is kinda nonsensical. It's more about the power of the platforms, which also this article talks about. They want regulation. Free speech must not always mean "the 1st amendment" but can also mean the concept of "free speech".

Also can you give me a bit more on the more freedom of speech in the US compared to the EU as a whole, because that seems kinda new to me?

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    Having read articles about the topic, the aren't criticizing them for breaking the law, so your answer is kinda nonsensical. It's more about the power of the platforms, which also this article talks about. They want regulation. Free speech must not always mean "the 1st amendment" but can also mean the concept of "free speech".
    They are criticizing them, because they are saying such things should be up to the government... not a private business. Our First Amendment specifically limits the government from doing such things, whereas private entities are free to do so.

I'lll take my First Amendment over their desire to limit free speech and freedom off expression.

10+ Year Old Account
    They are criticizing them, because they are saying such things should be up to the government... not a private business. Our First Amendment specifically limits the government from doing such things, whereas private entities are free to do so.

I'lll take my First Amendment over their desire to limit free speech and freedom off expression.
    How about neither of them be free to do so?

is anyone watching the pompeo speech and Q&A

we're talking about wednesday night chili events wtf
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

10+ Year Old Account

What kind of desire do they have to limit free speech? What has the EU done? Can you provide any facts or links to censuring made by the EU? That sounds a bit like a conspiracy theory, or at least a belief not backed by facts.

And you're aware that also your government doesn't allow every kind of free speech? There are some red lines for speech even in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    I don't fucking understand why you people keep arguing that the hard core Trump supporters who invaded the Capitol aren't Nazis.

Have you people ever fucking been to /pol/?

I have, frequently, and so have those who are now being charged. Wanna know what these people say when they are posting anonymously?

"Kill the Jews!"
    "Kill the gays!"
    "Sort of kill the latinos! Not the women, those we will rape"
    "Kill the non-binary folk!"
    "Kill all women who have premarital sex!"

They fly the confederate and nazi flags all the time, and openly admire Hitler. These are not people who need redemption.
    its convenient that grandma waving the maga flag and hardcore nazis can be in the same crowd. 'its not serious look is just grandma on her opoids' whilst hardcore neonazis have plans to kill people and can move with the larger crowd saying 'we are all patriots here'.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    I don't fucking understand why you people keep arguing that the hard core Trump supporters who invaded the Capitol aren't Nazis.

Have you people ever fucking been to /pol/?

I have, frequently, and so have those who are now being charged. Wanna know what these people say when they are posting anonymously?

"Kill the Jews!"
    "Kill the gays!"
    "Sort of kill the latinos! Not the women, those we will rape"
    "Kill the non-binary folk!"
    "Kill all women who have premarital sex!"

They fly the confederate and nazi flags all the time, and openly admire Hitler. These are not people who need redemption.
    "Reality for thee but not for me!" - A Goon
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    What kind of desire do they have to limit free speech? What has the EU done? Can you provide any facts or links to censuring made by the EU? That sounds a bit like a conspiracy theory, or at least a belief not backed by facts.

And you're aware that also your government doesn't allow every kind of free speech? There are some red lines for speech even in the US.
    The EU has done nothing, individual countries in the EU has various laws or has performed various actions to prove they have various standards on free expression.

For example your freedom of expression in Germany would not include swastikas generally speaking (an example from another thread)

https://www.stcroixrepublican.org/

Yo, check out the front page of the St. Croix Republican Party.

If you want peace, prepare for war.
    Fuckin cosplay insurrectionists.

How about neither of them be free to do so?
    So, you think I should be able to come onto your property, shit on your floor, and yell racist things at your family, and you shouldn't be able to kick me out?

Is that really the argument you want to make?

- - - Updated - - -

They literally just spoke about it.

Twitter banning Trump is an exercise of free speech and free association. And look who just condemned it, and said that's up to the government...

Twitter deserves freedom fo speech and freedom of association, contrary to what France and Germany believe.
    Last edited by Machismo; 2021-01-11 at 08:34 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarkan View Post
    The EU has done nothing, individual countries in the EU has various laws or has performed various actions to prove they have various standards on free expression.
    That i will agree with. Every country has different standards. Some are similar like:

Yelling "Fire" in a theater, inciting murder and violence.

My country has added "the jews are the root of all our problems", because we had some bad experiences with that, and thought it would be a good idea.

But that's not what @Machismo claimed. He claimed that the EU has limitations on free speech and that Merkel has a desire to limit free speech. So i'm asking for the facts why he thinks the EU as a whole has less freedom of speech, and why Merkel has a desire for censorship, because that sounds a bit too far fetched.

10+ Year Old Account
    So, you think I should be able to come onto your property, shit on your floor, and yell racist things at your family, and you shouldn't be able to kick me out?
    The cops would be dragging you out for a list of crimes in that scenario.

The cops would be dragging you out for a list of crimes in that scenario.
    What crimes? Aren't I just exercising free speech?

Or, are you saying I don't get to have free speech on your property, without your permission?

10+ Year Old Account

Is that really the argument you want to make?

- - - Updated - - -

They literally just spoke about it.

Twitter banning Trump is an exercise of free speech and free association.
    So because she doesn't agree with his ban she has a desire to limit free speech? That's a bit far fechted. I'd like to link you to an article from a german newspaper, because that makes it clearer.

What she argues about is that if someone is dangerous the government should handle this, and it shouldn't be left to private companies.

She is not so much talking about their freedom of association, but rather that if Trump is dangerous he should be censored by the government, and it shouldn't be on the whim of private entities.

And seriously, that's something every country does to a degree. Doesn't your country also imprison people for inciting violence and terror? Nothing else.

I get your viewpoint from the freedom of association, and i'm pretty sure she's not attacking that one, but more arguing that punishment shouldn't be left to the "virtual mob".

Oh, btw. i disagree with her, i just think you're reading something into her that she's not saying.