Page 15 of 76 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    lol again, 2 hedge funds lost billions. Few more probably millions

A couple dozen made even more.
    A ceo made hundereds of millions.
    Insiders made millions.

You think hedge funds just shorted this stock?

The short squeeze on friday, depending on what numbers you believe, will fully beneift these massive wall street companies that own 2-4-7-12% of the stock each.

Fidelity, Blackrock, vanguard, FMR, Morgan Stanley, Half dozen smaller hedge funds, etc etc

So this idea that this is somehow winning a war against wallstreet is a fucking joke.

Its winning a war against some stupid funds and managers but wallstreet, nah.

As soon as the big players step in and force the SEC to regulate them at the same level and clamp down on a lot of the activity in WSB, they will have lost this battle but win the war.
    Its either that or you let wallstreet play on the same level and then they will massacre the individual investor in a way that has never been seen
    The SEC cracking down on WSB just shows the bias in our government to the wealthy. This asshats are just mad that some reddit nerds beat them at their own game. Fuck Wall Street. The government needs to harshly crack down on those bastards like they should have done back in 2008.

"Free market", delicious to watch all the suits sweating.

How have they "cracked down" on WSB?

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    How have they "cracked down" on WSB?
    They got banned from Discord. They were temporarily down on Reddit as well because the sub got attacked by a huge number of troll bot accounts and they needed to change the permissions for who could post.

A friend of mine started this a year ago with real money and another one with a "fantasy money" and I just co-argued with them on where to invest.
    I'm actually suprised how easyand relative predictable the whole thing in. But maybe we were just very lucky.

With the fantasy account, we went from 25.000 to currently roughly 90.000
    The friend who started exchanging with real money is obvioulsy more timid about it all but even he has stock that increased by 1200%
    I honestly thought about starting too.

Even just the "funny" stuff we "predicted" became true and is on it's way to to another "huge" deal (at least huge for us, I have no idea how much you guys make all day, but this is certainly the most efficient way to work with money for someone like me/us).
    On May 2020, shortly after they delayed the release of Cyberpunk we were like: "Meh... I'm betting CDProject will be worth somewhere around 90-100€ right before it's release, then the game will have a horrible release, stock will tank like -50%, and by the end of 2021 they will be back to 90€ again.
    Guess what happened and happening right now.
    The biggest deficit he had was his stock in wirecard - but I'd argue that a lot of people lost some money there.

I'm actually pretty sad now that I didn't start with real money yet. We always thought the whole thing is way more complex.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelinrah View Post
    The SEC cracking down on WSB just shows the bias in our government to the wealthy. This asshats are just mad that some reddit nerds beat them at their own game. Fuck Wall Street. The government needs to harshly crack down on those bastards like they should have done back in 2008.
    No it doesn't it would show consistency of the law and regulations.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    There wasn't an automatic trading halt... I literally linked and quoted the story... and wait a minute... do you mean when taxpayer money went loans to Wallstreet in the form of bailouts... that they weren't bailouts because they had to pay the money back
    Td ameritrade has a lot of restrictions on stocks and trading. They often put restrictions on margins on stocks as well has a bunch of restrictions on which stocks you can even trade once you get out of the dow/nas/sp500

This is nothing new or unique to gme and others.

Are you implying they are giving up trading revenue on these stocks to save Wall Street?

They could be making a mint at these volumes and the impending drop but chose to not be involved because of the inherent sketchy situation.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    No it doesn't it would show consistency of the law and regulations.
    Hedge Funds manipulating the market to intentionally bankrupt companies for profit=fair game.

Reddit nerds buying up stocks in those companies hedge funds are trying to bankrupt=illegal.

Doesn't make sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorshen View Post
    "Free market", delicious to watch all the suits sweating.
    Who is sweating except for the tiny minority of entities that short stocks. It represents a drop in the bucket of the overall trading every year and an even smaller bucket of value

The top 10 that are making money from this are all Wall Street funds, hedge funds and inside investors. Who do you think owns 9 million shares someone on wsb or vanguard?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nelinrah View Post
    Hedge Funds manipulating the market to intentionally bankrupt companies for profit=fair game.

Reddit nerds buying up stocks in those companies hedge funds are trying to bankrupt=illegal.

Doesn't make sense to me.
    Please explain how stock trading bankrupt companies.

- - - Updated - - -

Lol nailed the bump back over 400 but fucking 500 at one point ...wow just wow.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    Capitalism works great as long as you can maintain growth forever,.... good thing we live on an infinite planet.... WAIT....
    It also kind of fails when you undermine growth of population (by driving large part below family-sustaining wages) for gains now...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    Bit of a stock newbie here. Can someone explain how this is all costing some hedge funds billions? They sell Gamestop stock with the expectation it will go down, but instead it shoots up. What's to stop them from just not buying it back?
    GameStop was short sold over 100%, which means they were expecting the stock to go down. Short Sellers profit from a declining stock, but there's a huge catch. If the stock goes up then you owe that difference. Unlike someone who put $100 into a stock, they can only lose $100. A short seller could in theory lose an infinite amount of money since anything above the stock value must be paid by them. They got very greedy and now they can lose everything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quick stock question since we have all this madness.

Today RobinHood stopped buying of GME and other reddit pumped stocks.

That's illegal. If you or I did that at our private brokerage, without first clarifying we do not offer that stock, the SEC would clean our bank accounts out, and if we weren't billionaires, someone would be going to federal prison.

*Anyone see Doge exploding?!*
    Last edited by Beazy; 2021-01-28 at 02:58 PM.

This is absolutely infuriating - as soon as these hedge funds start getting a bit uneasy they completely shut down any opportunity for the poors (aka regular people).

More proof that the system is "rules for thee, not for me."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by infinitemeridian View Post
    This is absolutely infuriating - as soon as these hedge funds start getting a bit uneasy they completely shut down any opportunity for the poors (aka regular people).

More proof that the system is "rules for thee, not for me."
    Im pretty sure this is a class action lawsuit waiting to be won. Ive read that since RH doesnt make money on trades, the only way to bring in $$ is to sell their userbase trade data to the big firms. So it looks like RH decided to stop selling GSE, and other stocks, to protect their "clients".

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    I agree with this. Land is the only thing they can't make anymore of.
    Ever heard about the Netherlands?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    Quick stock question since we have all this madness.

Today RobinHood stopped buying of GME and other reddit pumped stocks.

That's illegal. If you or I did that at our private brokerage, without first clarifying we do not offer that stock, the SEC would clean our bank accounts out, and if we weren't billionaires, someone would be going to federal prison.

*Anyone see Doge exploding?!*
    I was trying to buy AMC stock but they preventing me from doing so. Since nobody can buy NOK, GME, AMC and BB then they capped how big these stocks get. Robinhood is in big trouble.
    Last edited by Vash The Stampede; 2021-01-28 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    Ever heard about the Netherlands?
    ...umm...somewhere in the nethers?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash The Stampede View Post
    I was trying to buy AMC stock but they preventing me from doing so. Since nobody can buy GME and AMC then they capped how big these stocks get. Robinhood is in big trouble.
    Exactly, they made sure to protect the hedge funds. I really never understood short selling until just a few days ago. And it kind of makes me sick that there are funds out there that will risk literal infinite losses for some 20/30% gains. . . . .

it makes me think they are getting some kind of inside info ~ etc. I have no proof of this, but how would a fund manager be comfortable taking these kinds of risks without some pretty serious assurances? Maybe I'm wrong, but just seems like that to me.
    Last edited by Beazy; 2021-01-28 at 03:38 PM.

yeah there is bound to be a class action. fuck robinhood

That Robinhood app liming retail investors is bullshit! What hypocrites!

I stand with you, reddit-boys. Eat the rich.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Yup. And when they get hit with the losses? Well, someone needs to bail them out, or fix the problem, or whatever.

Funny how media outlets are reporting on this, too. As if the "retail investors" (us) did something terrible that caused good, upstanding Wall Street investors to lose money. As if short selling wasn't a huge risk, as if they didn't know what they were doing, as if they should always just win no matter what.
    I didnt even want to think about the bail outs that would be coming if RH didnt manipulate the market today.

hopefully people have diamond hands and keep that stock. Dont sell it, even if you lose some money. Like the Joker said "Its not about the money, its about sending a message".