Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    So if we're just going to randomly use the word objective, I'll say you're "objectively" juvenile for exclusively focusing on plot. While sometimes the trappings of an expansion can be borderline absurd -- hello, Warlords of Draenor -- the stories told within can be immensely compelling. Mists of Pandaria actually had really excellent story, even if Pandas themselves are a ridiculous conceit. Warlords of Draenor's leveling campaign had some very sharp, engaging storytelling through contained zone stories. Jaina's arc in BfA is outright some of the best writing Blizzard has ever done, though the narrative as a whole for BfA was clumsy at best.

Shadowlands isn't really that absurd -- but even if it was, having a singular focus on plot over anything else is immature as a reader.

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    You're comparing two very different things. The story in WoW serves a very different purpose than the story in a Bayformers movie does. That is why your analogy sucks.
    That's the weirdest dismissal I have ever seen.

15+ Year Old Account
    What story remains shocking, gripping, compelling, and interesting for 30+ years? A 30+ year tale with no retcons? Unlikely. A 30+ year tale with no dramatic twists and turns? Unlikely. A 30+ year story with no seemingly arbitrary gimmicks? Unlikely.

Y'all talking about what makes a "good writer" can't seem to comprehend the big picture which is that the story is old and ongoing and there's really only so much they can do to fill the gaps while also delivering a product to justify the monthly subscription. This is the product they promise. You bought the product and keep expecting them to reinvent the wheel and still be thrilled by it.

Stop playing if you don't like it or your expectations are too high. It's so easy to just stop playing. It even saves you money which is crucial in this pandemic. Stop playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    That's the weirdest dismissal I have ever seen.
    It wouldn't have to be weird if your analogy wasn't hilariously shitty.

10+ Year Old Account
    Have to admit, recent turns of events are interesting. Trouble is that an MMO is a terrible medium to tell the story they want to tell.

I'm amazed it took you guys 16 years to notice it.

Almost as if Blizzard storytelling hasn't been hot garbage for the past 30 years.

It wouldn't have to be weird if your analogy wasn't hilariously shitty.
    None of it really constitutes an argument. Are you doing alright?

Playing wow for the story is like reading playboy for the articles.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiivar86 View Post
    Man you're playing a game that started with green men from a red planet invading an Earth-like planet via a stargate.

The story's never been good.
    Yeah, and was amazing and original. So much that everyone love it a the beggining.

Quote Originally Posted by ArthasFanboy View Post
    Yeah, and was amazing and original. So much that everyone love it a the beggining.
    i mean warcraft was literally an imitation warhammer but go off

None of it really constitutes an argument. Are you doing alright?
    I'm perfectly fine. Can you stop comparing two entirely different things and pretending they deserve to be discussed in the same manner, though?

You misspelled "subjectively" in your thread title.
    Originally Posted by Zarhym (Blue Tracker)
    this thread is a waste of internet

You can judge a story or narrative by its objective merits or lack thereof.
    You can. But that would be a judgement over whether it is well-written, not whether it is a good story.

I'm perfectly fine. Can you stop comparing two entirely different things and pretending they deserve to be discussed in the same manner, though?
    I won't stop saying things just because they happen to annoy you, no.

10+ Year Old Account
    ITT: everyone dumping on OP for the use of "objectively"

Not ITT: Anyone actually saying the story is good lololololol

I'm pretty sure the story is objectively bad at this point guys

rule of cool isn't a very good rule because blizztard wouldn't know "cool" if it bit them in the ass

gameplay > story is bad because ITS AN RPG THE STORY IS PART OF THE GAME AND STORY HAS DRIVEN GAMEPLAY FOR THIS GAMES ENTIRE LIFE
    they have been following story > gameplay every time they didn't unlock every class/race combo
    gameplay > story isn't justifiable since there have been many times that the gameplay has been fucking shit (warlords -6mill subs in 4 months lol) despite them focusing on gameplay over story

WoW coasted on WC3 story and when it ran out in WoTLK the game slowly started dying. The game was "old" when WoTLK released, why didn't it start dying at end of BC?

the constant retcons, the retarded character decisions, the inconsistency of characters, the ignoring of characters or entire races when it made sense to include them, the GAPING plot holes in WoD ALONE, constantly rehashing old themes from prior titles (mortals are the greetest fuck yo dragons/keepers/titans/naaru) or other blizzard IPs (golden armada/army of light, kerrigan/legion illidan, void lords/amon).

These are but a few things that make WoW's current story objectively bad
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombiebob
    I'm still waiting on someone to tell me where all these people that suddenly care about Warrior balance were during Cataclysm when they were blow up dolls with plate armor on.
    Quote Originally Posted by cutterx2202 View Post
    Stop complaining to solve your lack of ability, and start reading and practicing to gain ability. Stop trying to bring people down to your level instead of striving to raise yours.