Thread: Baldurs Gate 3

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Loveliest View Post
    Every time they patch it you have to start over. So up to you, depends if you like restarting the game over and over. I got it myself day one, played as much as possible but then couldnt stomach redoing everything just to see a new cutscene or somesuch.
    I wont ever buy EA but still is awfully tempting the more I hear :P

Quote Originally Posted by Proskill View Post
    Dont. I made the mistake of buying it on steam instead of GOG. could refund it even now on the latter

Is the druids bear form OP? Its like the highest health pool form while also dishing out crazy good dmg, or is there something better at DPSing?
    Its decent its not godly. Having played with it for a while. It doesnt scale, it has low armor and its hit chance is quite low(it doesnt scale with gear either)

Its probably going to be really, really, really bad to go shapeshift druid at the end of the campaign seeing how they dont scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    started playing divinity2 (after finishing Diablo3) currently on 30 hrs, never knew this type of rpg existed, having so much fun and will play Baldurs gate after
    This is probably one of the least "worth it' EA titles too. I don't dislike it by any means, but it's pretty limited and rough. The EA also resets or breaks a lot (to be expected) and there is only a small amount of content you'd be replaying over and over. To be frank.

There are EA titles that nearly the whole game out there and much cheaper to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    This is probably one of the least "worth it' EA titles too. I don't dislike it by any means, but it's pretty limited and rough. The EA also resets or breaks a lot (to be expected) and there is only a small amount of content you'd be replaying over and over. To be frank.

There are EA titles that nearly the whole game out there and much cheaper to boot.
    I mean we don't even have the full first act out of three, have about half of the classes and have only five companions (with eight datamined as Origins characters and likely at least 5 more + mercenaries)
    It is pretty much an early beta, not an early access.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicPeon View Post
    Its decent its not godly. Having played with it for a while. It doesnt scale, it has low armor and its hit chance is quite low(it doesnt scale with gear either)

Its probably going to be really, really, really bad to go shapeshift druid at the end of the campaign seeing how they dont scale.
    If they go by Core, it means that a 10th level Druid of the Circle of the Moon will get Elemental Wild Shape. Plus we don't know if they will get extra forms at levels 6/9 (Polar Bear normally is only available as a level 6 Druid of the Circle of the Moon)

Quote Originally Posted by Araevin View Post
    If they go by Core, it means that a 10th level Druid of the Circle of the Moon will get Elemental Wild Shape. Plus we don't know if they will get extra forms at levels 6/9 (Polar Bear normally is only available as a level 6 Druid of the Circle of the Moon)
    True that could be something. My druid is getting smacked around hard right now and not really able to put out much damage

True that could be something. My druid is getting smacked around hard right now and not really able to put out much damage
    One good thing is you can maintain concentration while shapeshifted. For me Moonbeam is doing solid damage and heat metal is also really strong when available. What I'm expecting them to do for scaling is upgrade damage done in Wildshape forms at level 6, when they normally get primal strike (Moon Druid) and access to CR2 forms. I expect that's when Bearform (and possibly other forms) get multi-attack and possibly some stat upgrades as well and we'll likely get two new forms (I'd guess Giant Constrictor Snake and Sabre Tooth tiger). Because the things you can shapeshift into are somewhat limited it makes sense to me for them to upgrade those forms a bit at certain levels so they don't become obsolete and you keep the versatility you have. It also explains better why the bear form starts off looking like a Polar bear

Then again it could also happen at 5, which seems to be the case with Halsin who has multi attack in his bear form at that level already.
    Last edited by Warning; 2021-03-03 at 04:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Araevin View Post
    I can't bring myself to finish the intro again, but looking at the wikia it seems people have datamined how LS intends do handle it? Looks like instead of implementing the whole CR system they went for hard unlocks. Taking a look at the wikia page for moon circle though it seems like they intend to unlock most of the features with level, so I kinda have to wonder what you actuallly get at level 1 of the circle, as the 2nd level should be Lvl 6 (which we can't get yet). Normally you can change into anything you've seen as a druid as long as you meet the requirements. Or I'm reading this wrong and 2nd level means druid level, but then you'd get a flying form with level 4 already? Seems wrong as well. Either way, the forms seem to be fixed to your circle selection for now (and no crocodile grappling :/)

Btw, did LS say anything new in regards to max level? Lvl 10 seems rather low, as I could have probably easily reached 6 or 7 in the part of act 1 that was available.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    is there weapon profficiency skills no longer in BG3? because of ED5 or what? it was in previous BG and IWD games, like i could spend skillpoints into certain weapons of my choice.
    for example i want to know what lae'zel prefers to fight with, axes, maces or swords? or maybe two handed versions of these?
    im no DnD expert, i only played infinity games almost 20 years ago

also what druid forms do u use and for what purpose? i just find myself shifting into bear and forgetting about anything else the druid has to offer
    Scam Citizen referral code: STAR-2YL2-XDTX|get 5,000 UEC

is there weapon profficiency skills no longer in BG3? because of ED5 or what? it was in previous BG and IWD games, like i could spend skillpoints into certain weapons of my choice.
    for example i want to know what lae'zel prefers to fight with, axes, maces or swords? or maybe two handed versions of these?

also what druid forms do u use and for what purpose? i just find myself shifting into bear and forgetting about anything else the druid has to offer
    Personally i mostly use the wolf and the badger forms.

Wolf has higher damage output then the bear, and having a healthsponge with low armor just doesnt seem that good to me

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe thats offtopic but why was Siege of Dragonspear (the enhanced edition whole new campaign) considered bad or mediocre by players? Like EE alltogether. It improved so many things. Why arent ppl happy about it?

7+ Year Old Account
    Maybe thats offtopic but why was Siege of Dragonspear (the enhanced edition whole new campaign) considered bad or mediocre by players? Like EE alltogether. It improved so many things. Why arent ppl happy about it?
    For me it was the fact that we all knew how it's gonna end, therefore it could provide zero interesting lore for the series. Plot twists were predictable, villains were re-used etc. Also I remember there was some bullshit, non-issue LGBT drama, because it had a trans character or something.
    Last edited by Makabreska; 2021-03-04 at 05:29 AM.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

EE did not really improve all that much but at the same time the constraints they had were significant; they could not really add content to existing characters. I felt that the new characters they added were relatively strong and Dorn and Hexxat made it much more satisfying playing (completely OP) evil.

Then with Siege of Dragonspear they had a chance to do so much more and they only really managed a mediocre game. The LGBT controversy is irrelevant; the story and the characters just did not punch anywhere near as strongly as BG2. Storywise it was still better than TOB but at least TOB had great power fantasy. So of the three games and the two expansions, I'd rank it last, just below ToB (for me BG2>TotSC>BG1>ToB>BG:SoD)

Anyone who has played the ea to the end possibly with different combos that can tell me if anything actually competes with thiefs for damage output?

Seems like the backstap + 2x extra damage you get at level 3 is just extremely powerful

As far as weapon proficiencies goes, 5E has a slimmed down automatic version of weapon proficiencies and BG3 works off that. If you are proficient with a weapon or skill you get to add an additional modifier to the to di roll and it gradually increases as you gain levels and isn't dependent on individual class levels but your overall combined levels so multiclassing doesn't hinder this. At the start of the game a character class you choose will have simple weapon proficiency (mundane stuff to include shortswords) or martial weapon proficiency (nearly all other weapons)

It looks like this for proficiency bonus:
    1-4 levels is a +2 to hit
    5-8 levels is a +3 to hit
    9 - 12 levels is a +4 to hit
    13-16 levels is a +5 to hit
    17-20 levels is a +6 to hit
    If you are not proficient in the weapon or skill the di roll only gets your attribute modifier like STR, DEX etc... meaning you'd have a lower to hit or success chance.
    You can become proficient in more weapons you are not normally proficient in such as starting with simple weapons but wanting to add a new one but IIRC, it takes picking up a FEAT skill that allows new proficiencies in skills or weapons. You no longer have to put points into weapon skills. If you start out proficient with martial weapons like Lea'zel does, you can use pretty much any weapon and be proficient in it getting both attribute and proficiency modifies for your to hit rolls. For the most part, Lae'zel can pick it up anything and she can use it with no loss of skill and you don't have to put points into anything for that. I think she prefers/starts with a two handed weapon but she can go dual weld, sword and board, bow, crossbow and be just as good with no penalty because she has martial weapon proficiency as a fighter.

I think that's is the gist of it.

Anyone who has played the ea to the end possibly with different combos that can tell me if anything actually competes with thiefs for damage output?

Seems like the backstab + 2x extra damage you get at level 3 is just extremely powerful
    I think it is powerful but I don't think it's X2 damage. I think it's an extra 2d6 damage roll for sneak attack bonus.
    The ranger at 4th level with colossus slayer does pretty well when also dual welding and two weapon fighting style.

First round you do have to hunters mark the target but it looks something like this:

ROUND 1 at level 4 (current max level)
    Bonus action: Hunters mark
    Attack action: Short sword +1 (1d6+1), hunters mark (1d6), DEX +3

6-16 not great for a round 1 but not terrible as it's a setup round.

Every round after:
    Main hand: Short sword +1 (1d6+1), hunters mark (1d6), Colossus slayer (1d8 target damaged bonus), DEX +4
    Off Hand: Short sword +1 (1d6+1), Hunters mark (1d6), DEX +4 (two weapon fighting style)

If both hit of course the damage is 15 - 42 at level 4 plus he can wear heavier armor (med) for a better AC in melee. I didn't add in poison because anyone can do that.

I haven't calculated the rogue damage but I think it looks like:
    ROND ONE:
    MH Short swords +1(1D6 + 1), DEX (+4) Used level 4 ASI for DEX not two weapon fighting)
    OH short sword X 2 (1d6+1, 1d6+1) no dex bonus for OH hits
    Assume we can get Sneak attack on round one if not because no surprise or no other ally in melee, damage is much lower (once per round) (2d6)

Same as above, if both hit and you can get sneak attack. Should be 12-37 damage.

Pretty comparable but I know sneak attack is reliant on surprise or another ally being in melee with you and not on a different creature and they cannot get the two weapon fighting style for the off hand DEX bonus to damage without giving up your 4th level DEX ASI increase (getting DEX from16/17 to 18 for the extra +1 to hit and damage and AC)

I think thats right in damage comparison.
    Last edited by quras; 2021-03-04 at 03:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    SNIP
    Sounds nice. I havent played around with the ranger yet. Might start a new playthrough as ranger instead of druid, as i am really finding that underwhelming atm(it is a decent replacement for shadowheart who i'm not too fond of either though)

Sounds nice. I havent played around with the ranger yet. Might start a new playthrough as ranger instead of druid, as i am really finding that underwhelming atm(it is a decent replacement for shadowheart who i'm not too fond of either though)
    The only thing I like about shadowheart is Bless but I don't really need it. Similar for Astarion the rogue stupidly written to wear padded leather for stealth DISadvantage I might add. I find him relatively useless given my ranger does everything he does and more.
    Now, in saying that, rogues have not been implemented correct just yet because Larian has not given them the expertise that rogues get at first level basically doubling their proficiency bonus in two skills. Thats missing and kind of big if you like to steal/slight of hand things.
    Last edited by quras; 2021-03-04 at 09:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    The only thing I like about shadowheart is Bless but I don't really need it. Similar for Astarion the rogue stupidly written to wear padded leather for stealth DISadvantage I might add. I find him relatively useless given my ranger does everything he does and more.
    Now, in saying that, rogues have not been implemented correct just yet because Larian has not given them the expertise that rogues get at first level basically doubling their proficiency bonus in two skills. Thats missing and kind of big if you like to steal/slight of hand things.
    That makes sense. have you compared the fighter output vs the dw ranger?

That makes sense. have you compared the fighter output vs the dw ranger?
    I haven't but at such a low level with limited attacks and feats, I'd wager ranger for now still pulls ahead due to hunters mark and colossus slayer that fighters don't get.

Later when you can pull off polearm master with great weapon master, the fighter will pull ahead for sure as long as you can hit of course.
    Last edited by quras; 2021-03-05 at 03:07 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Whats the point of multiclassing?

I nevered did it when playing IWD or BG (im not an expert tho), i jsu went for xertain classes. As for someone that played WoW its normally perfect to just play one class
    Mixing them brings lots of disadvantages for one or the other class

Whats the point of multiclassing?

I nevered did it when playing IWD or BG (im not an expert tho), i jsu went for xertain classes. As for someone that played WoW its normally perfect to just play one class
    Mixing them brings lots of disadvantages for one or the other class
    In DND 5e, you can get some crazy combos that you otherwise wouldn't have access to. Paladin + sorcerer gives you a LOT more spell slots to use for smiting, for instance. Druid + cleric gives you berries that heal for absolutely absurd amounts of health for next to nothing. Staying a pure class is perfectly fine and often as good as multiclassing, but multiclassing often has benefits that equal the costs and drastically change the way a character plays, so it's a fun customized alternative.