Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    The issue is what people now deem to be a "decent living" as it is far outpacing actual inflation and cost of living.
    Snrk. Sure, Jan. Lemme know where a lone adult can raise a family on 15 dollars an hour.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    lol i am still wondering where is the data and proof this would be so detrimental to WV like you said it would be.
    That was like a day ago.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Nah.

And until you can back up that assertion with actual data, that's all the response it deserves. "Nah."

It was never what FDR wanted. The minimum wage was intended to be a living wage. It has never been sufficient to that task at any point in US history.

And why are you bringing up Democrats having power at various points? The only way that makes sense as an argument is if you think parties vote as ideological blocs, and that's just flatly not the case. It's a pointless thing to bring up.
    Here you go:

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2019...ear/index.html

Congress wrote it, and it has been provided it. Once again, if you want to blame the people who wrote it, be my guest.

Odd, he fucking signed it:

"The bill was voted upon May 24, 1938, with a 314-to-97 majority. After the House had passed the bill, the Senate-House Conference Committee made still more changes to reconcile differences. During the legislative battles over fair labor standards, members of Congress had proposed 72 amendments. Almost every change sought exemptions, narrowed coverage, lowered standards, weakened administration, limited investigation, or in some other way worked to weaken the bill.

The surviving proposal as approved by the conference committee finally passed the House on June 13, 1938, by a vote of 291 to 89. Shortly there-after, the Senate approved it without a record of the votes. Congress then sent the bill to the President. On June 25, 1938, the President signed the Fair Labor Standards Act to become effective on October 24, 1938."

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Snrk. Sure, Jan. Lemme know where a lone adult can raise a family on 15 dollars an hour.
    Yep, sure.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here you go:

Congress wrote it, and it has been provided it. Once again, if you want to blame the people who wrote it, be my guest.
    Really not sure what you think you're proving with that link.

The minimum wage has not ever amounted to a living wage at any point in US history, since and including its inception.

That link provides absolutely nothing to support anything you've claimed. It's a baffling bit of data to link, since it's a nonsequitur.

Edit: Also bears pointing out that you're definitely ignoring all the other programs, like food stamps, which also help support families in poverty, because the minimum wage falls so tremendously short. So even those scraping by can't be considered to be doing so on the minimum wage income itself, because they also get other support from the government to make up shortfalls.

Really not sure what you think you're proving with that link.

The minimum wage has not ever amounted to a living wage at any point in US history, since and including its inception.

That link provides absolutely nothing to support anything you've claimed. It's a baffling bit of data to link, since it's a nonsequitur.
    He. Fucking. Signed. It.

"The bill was voted upon May 24, 1938, with a 314-to-97 majority. After the House had passed the bill, the Senate-House Conference Committee made still more changes to reconcile differences. During the legislative battles over fair labor standards, members of Congress had proposed 72 amendments. Almost every change sought exemptions, narrowed coverage, lowered standards, weakened administration, limited investigation, or in some other way worked to weaken the bill.

The surviving proposal as approved by the conference committee finally passed the House on June 13, 1938, by a vote of 291 to 89. Shortly there-after, the Senate approved it without a record of the votes. Congress then sent the bill to the President. On June 25, 1938, the President signed the Fair Labor Standards Act to become effective on October 24, 1938."

A Democratic President, with a huge majority in each house... they pushed it through.

That was like a day ago.

]
    so then no huh? Guess just made up?
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

so then no huh? Guess just made up?
    Nope, swing and a miss.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yep, sure.
    Answer the question, sweaty. Where in the US can a lone adult raise a family on 15 dollars an hour.

Name the counties.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Nope, swing and a miss.
    ah ok i figured you just made it up trying to make some point that failed.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

10+ Year Old Account
    He. Fucking. Signed. It.

A Democratic President, with a huge majority in each house... they pushed it through.
    And?

Doesn't mean it achieved what he'd intended it to.

Where the hell are you getting that idea? We can just look at the cost of living indices for the era and see that it clearly falls short, and fell short every single year since. You're using some weird-ass kind of appeal to authority to justify ignoring data.

- - - Updated - - -

Answer the question, sweaty. Where in the US can a lone adult raise a family on 15 dollars an hour.

Name the counties.
    Without any other government support from other programs, for either themselves or their children.

Name the counties.
    Don't. Have. A. Family. then.

Have two working parents.

- - - Updated - - -

And?

Doesn't mean it achieved what he'd intended it to.

Where the hell are you getting that idea? We can just look at the cost of living indices for the era and see that it clearly falls short, and fell short every single year since. You're using some weird-ass kind of appeal to authority to justify ignoring data.

- - - Updated - - -

Without any other government support from other programs, for either themselves or their children.
    The burden is on you to provide that evidence.

He signed it, so that does show intent, as well as support.

"What he meant, was...."

- - - Updated - - -

ah ok i figured you just made it up trying to make some point that failed.
    Nope, I provided it.

Good luck!!!
    Last edited by Machismo; 2021-03-22 at 04:54 AM.

10+ Year Old Account

Families living on minimum wage did not have two working parents after the minimum wage was signed into law, sweaty.

Families did not have two working parents when the minimum wage was signed into law, sweaty.
    Why do you keep typing, "sweaty?"

When it was signed into law, it was lower than it is now, based on inflation.

Awkward...

10+ Year Old Account
    When it was signed into law, it was lower than it is now, based on inflation.
    Non sequitur, sweaty. If you're going by original intent then the "don't have a family on minimum wage" whinging on your part is just contradicting yourself.

Oh god really.

So what happens when......

oh why bother if this is your stance why even fucking bother.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

10+ Year Old Account
    Yep, there's the inhumanity and lack of compassion that's core to conservative outlooks.

The burden is on you to provide that evidence.

Given the link I provided earlier with the living wage calculator, clearly we can see that while minimum wage has largely kept pace with the consumer price index, that would mean it's always fallen well short of a living wage.

Meanwhile, you've provided a grand total of "fuck-all" to back your case here.

Nope, I provided it.

Good luck!!!
    you did? how about being a kind sir and providing the link because i missed it and went back and did not find an update.
    i sure don't see it.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh god really.

The way people try to pass off being conceited and greedy as a political philosophy would astound me, but for some reason people keep buying Ayn Rand's books sooooo..... *shrugs*

Non sequitur, sweaty. If you're going by original intent then the "don't have a family on minimum wage" whinging on your part is just contradicting yourself.
    Their original intent set that value...

So, comparing it to inflation makes sense.

They signed it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh god really.

It's always interesting when they let the mask slip and let you see their need to foster human suffering as an ideological principle, not as some necessity, but just because they see value in human suffering itself.

Oh god really.

Fine, raise it to $100.

See, that's how yo solve it, just give them so much more.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep, there's the inhumanity and lack of compassion that's core to conservative outlooks.

Given the link I provided earlier with the living wage calculator, clearly we can see that while minimum wage has largely kept pace with the consumer price index, that would mean it's always fallen well short of a living wage.

Meanwhile, you've provided a grand total of "fuck-all" to back your case here.
    Bullshit. You literally whined about my graph... which is directly related to your graph.

They signed it, and set the value.

- - - Updated - - -

you did? how about being a kind sir and providing the link because i missed it and went back and did not find an update.
    i sure don't see it.
    I'm not digging through the fucking mountain.