Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    When it comes to digital games, they are technically licensing the game to you. You don't actually own it. It's why I buy physical games whenever I can.
    im more concerned about lost dlc than physical games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by omeomorfismo View Post
    realistically, whats the difference between stopping the servers and stopping the production of a console or repair component?
    i own an old atari 7800, i dont know if its working, but if it is broken, what i could do? hope to find another one?
    There are tons of aftermarket shops that likely have parts for it to be repaired, would it be costly? Likely, would you be hard pressed to find that one particular part you need? Also very probable. But at least there are some options out there.

IDK if there will be any equivalent for digital goods for Playstation titles. Though emulators likely will have the missing content, you probably cannot play it on official hardware you own as a result, rendering previously bought consoles wholly obsolete.

I could go back to my PS2 at any time and play old games I own because I have the CD's. I cannot guarantee that will be the case for Digital goods I am beholden to a low maintenance server for.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Biggest issue with Persona 3 isn't game preservation, its that you have to choose between having an overworld in 3d for exploration and story scenes + access to the epilogue story with FES, and QoL fixes and new content in portable that comes at the cost of being cut down visually to run on a PSP.

That game really needs a definitive edition that brings the QoL changes and new content in portable into an overall package that's more like FES.
    That's probably what they're going to do tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    That's probably what they're going to do tbh.
    lol, even if they do you must not know atlus if you're counting on it anytime soon. You might be getting it twisted thinking they just released a bunch of games in a short time frame but Strikers took an entire fucking year to localize, Nocturne HD is taking 8 months even though it was already translated.

So maybe you will have some definitive hd version of persona 3 in 2025 at the rate atlus works.

Also keep in mind they have SMTV, a team etrian game, Project RE Fantasy and probably 1-2 more Persona 5 spinoffs currently in the works and they definitely don't have any release gaps coming up they need to fill looooooooooooool. Might be even longer then that.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2021-03-30 at 03:46 AM.

https://twitter.com/manfightdragon/s...94883337371648

Well that didn't take long but here we go. Saturn 2: scalper boogaloo has already begun.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    https://twitter.com/manfightdragon/s...94883337371648

Well that didn't take long but here we go. Saturn 2: scalper boogaloo has already begun.
    Physical print games that are out of print go up in price... shocker more news at 11.

Hell motherfucking Ryza 1 on the Switch was going for 200+ physical before they reprinted it around the release of 2. That has a digital version you can buy even. Xenoblade 2 seems to be going up in price now. Collectors don't give a fuck if there is a digital version you can buy or not, and they are the ones that fluctuate the pricing here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Collectors don't give a fuck if there is a digital version you can buy or not, and they are the ones that fluctuate the pricing here.
    Very much this. There are tons of games, especially older games, that are/were recently available digitally but STILL commanded insane prices for the physical version.

Wild Arms for PS1 getting removed from the digital store doesn't somehow magically create a huge new amount of demand for Wild Arms.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    My point eludes you for the third time, so this is my final attempt: do you seriously believe that paying for CDN expenses by whatever money PS3 and PSV still generated is worse than paying for them directly out of Sony's wallet?
    Bandwidth costs money but I would assume its cost is all rolled into one with their modern connections and the download frequency for such old games is probably through the floor so its not even a blip in the bandwidth usage.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

I just want to see more future proofing in general. There's a lot of good games out there and not all of them are going to be lucky enough to receive a new coat of paint.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    When it comes to digital games, they are technically licensing the game to you. You don't actually own it. It's why I buy physical games whenever I can.
    This is false, under Nice Agreement in which there are over 90 countries as signatory as well as EU laws confirmed by EU courts to the top level, whenever you obtain a perpetual license (a license without built-in time limit or subscription requirement for that particular license) it's considered goods and you will be sole owner of that license and it is yours to do as you will whetever physical or digital. When you buy a game, it is yours, no matter the source. If you rent a game or it's part of a subscription deal like EA's Origin service, then the license is not perpetual and you're not owner. But if you buy a license, then it remains your property.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    This is false, under Nice Agreement in which there are over 90 countries as signatory as well as EU laws confirmed by EU courts to the top level, whenever you obtain a perpetual license (a license without built-in time limit or subscription requirement for that particular license) it's considered goods and you will be sole owner of that license and it is yours to do as you will whetever physical or digital. When you buy a game, it is yours, no matter the source. If you rent a game or it's part of a subscription deal like EA's Origin service, then the license is not perpetual and you're not owner. But if you buy a license, then it remains your property.
    I'm no legal expert, but isn't one's copy(what one actually buys) the actual bytes of data you downloaded onto your local device at time of purchase? Is not physical ownership of those bytes a separate thing as the right to redownload?

So, if I own a book, I own that copy of the book. However, I don't own the content, I can't make copies and post them online. Also, if my book is lost or on paper that can no longer be read due to age, I don't have the right to demand that they reprint a new copy for me, no? This would be onerous on the bookstore that sold it to me, because no one can expect any single organization to perpetually be able to manufacture a product(or provide a download server), with no end date.

iirc, many years ago when I bought mp3s from a certain very large legal website, they would only allow me to redownload them X number of times. Since then, this site has changed their rules, but since then I've always look at redownloading as a somewhat necessary privilege instead of of a right.

Of course, I know nothing about EU(or for that matter US) law, so I'm just guessing, haha.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2021-04-08 at 08:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    I'm no legal expert, but isn't one's copy(what one actually buys) the actual bytes of data you downloaded onto your local device at time of purchase? Is not physical ownership of those bytes a separate thing as the right to redownload?

So, if I own a book, I own that copy of the book. However, I don't own the content, I can't make copies and post them online. Also, if my book is lost or on paper that can no longer be read due to age, I don't have the right to demand that they reprint a new copy for me, no? This would be onerous on the bookstore that sold it to me, because no one can expect any single organization to perpetually be able to manufacture a product(or provide a download server), with no end date.

iirc, many years ago when I bought mp3s from a certain very large legal website, they would only allow me to redownload them X number of times. Since then, this site has changed their rules, but since then I've always look at redownloading as a somewhat necessary privilege instead of of a right.

Of course, I know nothing about EU(or for that matter US) law, so I'm just guessing, haha.
    You own that one license. You are not allowed to make copies of the license and share those because you do not own the IP, but if you obtain a perpetual license, you own the product like you'd own a book under Nice Agreement and under EU that is signatory to the agreement and this has been confirmed through EU court cases. In fact, you're well within your rights to even re-sell that license whetever it's physical or digital. Owning license is not same as owning the IP and this is across all Nice Agreement signatories. The holder of the IP loses rights to that one particular license of a product the moment you pay for it.

In general, this is good go-to link when you have questions about ownership as this page has direct links to court results on national and Union websites as well as it scrutinies every aspect from all of the court proceedings as well as Nice Agreement into easy-read of your rights.

https://linustechtips.com/topic/9538...te-propaganda/

As far as the EU matter goes, you can read this press release document from European Court of Justice;

https://curia.europa.eu/jcms/upload/...cp120094en.pdf

Key bits are as follow:

-The principle of exhaustion of thedistribution right applies not only where the copyright holder markets copies of his software on a material medium (CD-ROM or DVD) but also where he distributes them by means of downloads from his website. Where the copyright holder makes available to his customer a copy – tangible or intangible – and at the same time concludes, in return form payment of a fee, a licence agreementgranting the customer the right to use that copy for an unlimited period, that rightholder sells the copy to the customer and thus exhausts his exclusive distribution right.

-Therefore, even if the licence agreement prohibits a further transfer, the rightholder can no longer oppose the resale of that copy.
    Last edited by Wilian; 2021-04-09 at 12:46 AM.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

Good. The timings funny after the most mainstream of journalists were posting "maybe its time to drop playstation and jump to xbox" articles. But damage control or not its a good thing. A lot of those games and expansions were either very rare or would cease to exist and no doubt they didn't expect the outrage they got.

I still can't believe they wanted to try it while pushing their first digital only console. Good lord. But hey it keeps the PSone classics alive and thats a win in and of itself.

Good. The timings funny after the most mainstream of journalists were posting "maybe its time to drop playstation and jump to xbox" articles.
    wut? Links?

10+ Year Old Account
    Good. The timings funny after the most mainstream of journalists were posting "maybe its time to drop playstation and jump to xbox" articles. But damage control or not its a good thing. A lot of those games and expansions were either very rare or would cease to exist and no doubt they didn't expect the outrage they got.

I still can't believe they wanted to try it while pushing their first digital only console. Good lord. But hey it keeps the PSone classics alive and thats a win in and of itself.
    Most mainstream journalists? I've seen no such thing anywhere. Not even a reactionary pop up on Twitter.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Damage control? More like they saw everyone panic buying the store and realize they should re estimate profit margins on it. If you think complaining is the reason for this you are hilarious, money talks and bullshit walks. This is just them realizing a mistake in profit potential still there.

I found one:

https://www.techradar.com/news/ps5-i...-im-sick-of-it

I've read the article. I'll save my commentary, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    snip
    good for them, it would easily be one of the dumbest decisions a company has ever made if they went through with it. like, Nintendo only selling it's games for a few months dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    I found one:

https://www.techradar.com/news/ps5-i...-im-sick-of-it

I've read the article. I'll save my commentary, lol.
    Reading the article I ask the person who wrote it.

You have a PC (every house has one these days), you can play a PC on any screen even if it is in another room. How is spending hundreds on an Xbox going to make it financially sensible than buy a PS5 and play games not on PC?