Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by NED funded View Post
    They even called it ten rules for life, doesnt seem like a subtle jab at him. I think he understandably upset about it lol
    In Germany we have a saying. 'Struck dogs yelp.'

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    What books do they earn money from? Omnibus fatties?

(I stopped following comics after the 80/90's)
    Here’s a break down on what the industry makes money off of for the last few years:

https://www.comichron.com/pix/yearin...chron-2019.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    (I stopped following comics after the 80/90's)
    Good timing. At least for Marvel comics. The late 80s saw a drop off in quality that the 90s accelerated into an implosion. Image comics helped keep the shreds of the industry afloat, but they were a flash in a pan. (When I feel the need to clean out the attic I'm probably going to toss out every 90s comic book out in the garbage where that crap belongs)

...yes, I have strong feelings about comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Good timing. At least for Marvel comics. The late 80s saw a drop off in quality that the 90s accelerated into an implosion. Image comics helped keep the shreds of the industry afloat, but they were a flash in a pan. (When I feel the need to clean out the attic I'm probably going to toss out every 90s comic book out in the garbage where that crap belongs)

Image is a flash in the pan? They have at least 5% of the market and it’s where the good writers go to get interesting stuff produced.

The Image of the 90s is a very, very different creature from the Image of Today.

Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    Have you seen Satan recently? es.
    Just checking. Oy...

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    traditional comic book series writers like Sean Murphy, it's because he shuts up and creates comics that people want to read without interjecting his own personal bias and opinions in the story.
    You mean this Sean Murphy?

Edit:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_Murphy_(artist)
    The series was inspired by Murphy's reaction to ascendance of Sarah Palin into the national spotlight. Murphy says, "Sarah Palin scared the shit out of me in 2007 -- I was floored that someone that ignorant could come so close to being President. And a lot of her comments were about religion, politics, and the media. It made me want to take action, but I was just a comic book artist and I wasn't sure what I could do. So I started addressing my concerns about these three topics in Punk Rock Jesus. And I felt I really had something, but then Obama was elected and suddenly the need for Punk Rock Jesus was gone. I was an Obama fan, and I'm glad that Palin isn't anywhere near the nuclear codes, but I felt that I'd missed a window where Punk Rock Jesus would be most relevant. But [the 2012 election] has brought up all my old concerns, so suddenly Punk Rock Jesus feels relevant again."
    Last edited by Ivanstone; 2021-04-08 at 04:24 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NED funded View Post
    They even called it ten rules for life, doesnt seem like a subtle jab at him. I think he understandably upset about it lol
    Yea but Red Skull only has ten rules for Nazis to follow where as Peterson has twelve so I guess that makes it different.

I don't know why Peterson would even get upset about it anymore since people have been giving him these labels for a long time and it hasn't changed anything. I was watching Dave Rubin on YouTube a few months ago and he addressed all his viewers as racists, sexists, Islamophobes, Nazis, etc. Which was funny. I think it's more fun to laugh at hyperbole instead of getting triggered by it.
    Last edited by PC2; 2021-04-08 at 04:29 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    In Germany we have a saying. 'Struck dogs yelp.'
    And we have a saying in English that I feel applies to Peterson: “If it walks like a duck...”
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    Image is a flash in the pan? They have at least 5% of the market and it’s where the good writers go to get interesting stuff produced. The Image of the 90s is a very, very different creature from the Image of Today.
    Comic books today are very different.
    So much so that I've no interest in them at all. The last time I had any enthused interest was the "Annihilation" series. Writing, story, artwork, it mixed very well. I even bought the hardback omnibus (3 book deal) to keep in the bookcase. Before that, (late 90s I believe) there was a genius bit that was tantalizing in "Thunderbolts."

15+ Year Old Account
    Cant wait to see the sales numbers and how the "author" will blame white men for not buying the comic.

Why does the comic industry literally HATE their costumers so bad they need do shit like this, im pretty sure the ppl who like/retweet this on Twitter does not buy said comics.
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

7+ Year Old Account

You’ve said in the past that the last good era of comics was the 90’S, what changed?

5+ Year Old Account

the last bunch of comics I followed were image, with youngblood, wildcats, that chicago dragon cop, i like the maxx. I think marvel became boring, repetive, the art went down-hill, and i was never following dc much ever, more dark horse stuff. Bought some Spawn comics, but was never a fan, too edgy n art was annoying. Overall image was very flashy, but stories were mostly crap..I would never buy an omnibus of that today..

I think the last spiderman I bought was when peter married mary jane, felt like an end to franchise n I was pleased, then came a bunch of crap.. i also never like todd mcfarlane, those spidey 'poses' looked like he was about to shit in his own face.

Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2021-04-08 at 04:44 PM.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account

I think it's safe to say that comics are dead, manga has clearly taken over the market and neither Marvel or DC seem intent on trying to fix what they've broken. Indiegogo has some solid independent comic creators, but western comics are now are just a medium for progressive activists to push their propaganda while they lick the boots of their corporate overlords.

Comic books today are very different.
    So much so that I've no interest in them at all. The last time I had any enthused interest was the "Annihilation" series. Writing, story, artwork, it mixed very well. I even bought the hardback omnibus (3 book deal) to keep in the bookcase. Before that, (late 90s I believe) there was a genius bit that was tantalizing in "Thunderbolts."
    There's more to comics than bland superhero shit. Consider the Walking Dead. It probably more than any other comic transformed Image into what it is today. Image used to be the company where "good" artists thought they could be writers and make their own bland superhero shit. They started changing even before Walking Dead but an actual hit comic that exists because of its writing quality changed a lot of things. Ok, maybe they were just continuing on what Vertigo did earlier but Image has much smaller requirements than Warner Brothers does and this allows a lower selling title to potentially flourish.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frolk View Post
    Cant wait to see the sales numbers and how the "author" will blame white men for not buying the comic.

Why does the comic industry literally HATE their costumers so bad they need do shit like this, im pretty sure the ppl who like/retweet this on Twitter does not buy said comics.
    Pretty much every industry is doing that now. The woke crowd has taken over and are now the very things they accused us of being for years, gatekeepers. Look at games journalism. They constantly shit on gamers and deride people who don't praise the things they love. Film critics are doing the same crap. It's hilarious how all these woke products have the same themes and then they wonder why the people generally pan them. Especially in comic books and films of shows based off comic book characters, your biggest audience is men, but when even women hate the crap you are pushing then it's time for some introspection. Unfortunately woke people are too lacking in self awareness to actually fix what is wrong with their products and instead just blame men for their failures, even though women dislike it too.
    Last edited by Rennadrel; 2021-04-08 at 04:48 PM.

Pretty much every industry is doing that now. The woke crowd has taken over and are now the very things they accused us of being for years, gatekeepers. Look at games journalism. They constantly shit on gamers and deride people who don't praise the things like love.
    Show me on the doll where Zoe Quinn cut off your penis.
    “There you stand, the good man doing nothing. And while evil triumphs, and your rigid pacifism crumbles to blood stained dust, the only victory afforded to you is that you stuck true to your guns.”

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frolk View Post

The comic came out in 2018 and was 9th best selling for that month.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Let’s take trip to 1975:

You see Valkyrie on an upside down cross being burned? That’s because racists were fire bombing a black neighborhood... crucifying Valkyrie as a race traitor... Woke in 1975...
    Acceptance of the different is inbreed in the very genesis of Marvel Comics.

Obviously Marvel wansn't created in a vacuum so the editorial wanted to reproduce the elements that were sucessful in the mogul at the time: DC Comics.

We can see how Marvel mimics the characteristics of DC supergroup in the female token. The supergroup is all men but one single female: Wasp in the Avengers, Jean Grey in the X-Men and Invisible Girl in the FF.

But since Lee/Kirby refused to do perfect copy of DC they introduced an element of their own: The Monster.

So we can see that every supergroup includes a character that has nothing to do with the ideal stylized aesthetic of the hero back then: Hulk in the Avengers, the Thing in FF and The Beast in X-Men.

These are characters that , until then , presented an image that were reserved to villains and Lee talked many many times about how the editorial was utterly horrorized by these concepts: How the fuck a big blob of rock and mud is gonna be a hero? It's gonna scare the kids!!!.

The idea behind them were precisely that: it does not matter at all what you look...the only thing that matters it's what's in your heart so despite their rough exterior these characters are ( in diverse grades) depicted as tender and affective. I mean: Benjamin Grimm is a cutie pie inside....it's not depicted with the arrogance of Tony Stark or Stephen Strange as random examples.

Even Spiderman was originally rejected because Spiders are scary. Ditko was asked when presenting the concept: is it gonna have 6 arms? No,no, we can't have that..we sell comics for kids. Even Spiderman fits into the monster category.

The transversal idea behind the full silver age of Marvel is that:don't reject people because they are different or look different and I am utterly fascinated by people that has been reading Marvel for decades...and has understood nothing......

7+ Year Old Account
    I think it's safe to say that comics are dead, manga has clearly taken over the market and neither Marvel or DC seem intent on trying to fix what they've broken. Indiegogo has some solid independent comic creators, but western comics are now are just a medium for progressive activists to push their propaganda while they lick the boots of their corporate overlords.
    The North America manga market is rather laughably small they aren’t taking over they are barely even competing.

https://www.npd.com/wps/portal/npd/u...pd-group-says/

For reference the top 5 comic books alone In Jan 2019 out sold the whole manga market.

https://www.comichron.com/monthlycom...9/2019-01.html
    Last edited by Lorgar Aurelian; 2021-04-08 at 05:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    You’ve said in the past that the last good era of comics was the 90’S, what changed?
    90s? Not quite.
    The best to me was what is referred to as the "Jim Shooter" era of comics. From the mid 70s to mid 80s. Had anyone told me that the editor-in-chief was responsible for so much of the awesomeness I would have scoffed. But when I heard he was pretty much involved with turning the xmen into a best seller, over-ruling even Claremont and Byrne in the resolution of the "Dark Phoenix saga" (the rumored conversation was that since she killed billions, casually committed genocide, there's no coming back from that. She gets the death penalty. I don't care how it's written...suicide? Sure. But she's done after that)

Of course after they gave Shooter the axe, death became "reversible." And big world shattering events would eventually be a thing every damn day spanning multiple covers of every comic book.