Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    What Gagarin did was an achievement for Mankind, not just Russia. Same with Apollo 11. Those events deserve to be remembered and commemorated every year. The Russians and Americans have every reason to be proud of those achievements, so I wouldn't call it propaganda.

5+ Year Old Account
    it's crazy that it's over half a century ago (!) n we are sooo far from making space flight a normal thing for ordinary folks,

those old sci fi movies were lying to us!!
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2021-04-12 at 06:34 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    it's crazy that it's over half a century ago (!) n we are sooo far from making space flight a normal thing for ordinary folks, those old sci fi movies were lying to us!!
    They weren't lying though because most of that stuff is possible and therefore achievable, but the timing of new advancements can't be predicted. By the time something new is reliably predictable it means it won't be very interesting to scifi people anymore and we'd move on to dreaming about the next big thing.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    They weren't lying though because most of that stuff is possible and therefore achievable, but the timing of new advancements can't be predicted. By the time something new is reliably predictable it means it won't be very interesting to scifi people anymore and we'd move on to dreaming about the next big thing.
    i dunno...i'd like to lie down on the Mars sand dunes n feel very sci-fi'ish..that would be enough for me
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2021-04-12 at 06:47 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    i dunno...i'd like to lie down on the Mars sand dunes n feel very sci-fi'ish..that would be enough for me
    It would be enough for like a week. People can't remain happy because there's always something bigger and better out there in the unknown.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    It would be enough for like a week. People can't remain unhappy because there's always something bigger and better out there in the unknown.
    I wonder if I could lie down n read sci fi books, hopefully the books don't get eroded or radio-active

oh, and space suits for our pets, like tintin's milou orange suit, I wanna run around on mars with a space corgi (first i have to get a corgi, why are those fat bastards so expensive?)

Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2021-04-12 at 06:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Probably more so considering the history of Russia at the time that went from a backwater country with a civil war to space in a few short years.
    Both American and Russia got their modern rocket technology from the same place at the same time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peenem%C3%BCnde

It is estimated Werner von Braun could have advanced the American spacefaring efforts by 2 decades. The soviets had a german group as well headed by Helmut Gröttrup who were directly responsible for the development of the technology used in Yuri's rocket.

IIRC the exact details of what went down in the wake of the plundering of Peenmunde remain secret to this day. There is a book called "the secret war" that has a chapter(or several, been a long time since I read it) on this, including lovely details of how gas tank leaks in some of the early german jets could leak the peroxide fuel into the cabin and liquify the pilot completely. Science!
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

5+ Year Old Account
    that's interesting but main focus should be on Korolev for soviet space age, methinks

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergei_Korolev

got the us book on him,
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Korolev-Mas...8254508&sr=8-1
    but i'm ashamed to say i have none on gagarin (though i'll probably buy the new one that just came out)
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Beyond-Step...8254720&sr=8-1

korolev's death was a severe blow..
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2021-04-12 at 07:12 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    I can't fucking believe I have to be standing up for the Russians. But your argument is fucking dumb.
    I didn't present an argument. Thinking I did "is fucking dumb".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Hard to get something quite as big and inspiring in modern political climate, even if possibility is still there.
    No argument from me on that Shalcker: indeed an inspiring event in the history of Russia and mankind.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    ---snipped video---

How about NBC doing a piece on the 57th anniversary? I mean, the reactions to this seemingly just because he's Russian are weird. This is pretty standard shit, the first human in space is like, arguably far more important than the first man on the moon.
    No, I didn't respond to the post because of it being Russian. I responded to the OP because 60th doesn't strike me as a noteworthy milestone anniversay. 25th, 50th, 100th, etc sure. And 57th, even less so. But, as I said in a response to Shalcker, certainly an inspiring event in the history of Russia and for mankind.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    No, I didn't respond to the post because of it being Russian. I responded to the OP because 60th doesn't strike me as a noteworthy milestone anniversay. 25th, 50th, 100th, etc sure. And 57th, even less so. But, as I said in a response to Shalcker, certainly an inspiring event in the history of Russia and for mankind.
    how old will you be 40 years from now?...i'll be lucky if i remember my own name by then.. if i'm not dead

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    What in article u haf problem with
    I see what you did there.

- - - Updated - - -

Are 60th anniversaries a regularly celebrated "special" thing in Russia?
    We do the same thing with Neil Armstrong landing on the moon?

Of course they are going to celebrate it. Every fucking year. It's an enormous achievement. It should be celebrated every year.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    We do the same thing with Neil Armstrong landing on the moon?
    Maybe I just haven't been paying attention. I don't recall the last time I remember it being made a big deal of, even for its 50th.

Of course they are going to celebrate it. Every fucking year. It's an enormous achievement. It should be celebrated every year.
    Being more than a little hyperbolic imo, but, sure. Kind of sounds like a "thoughts and prayers" response to me, though.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Maybe I just haven't been paying attention. I don't recall the last time I remember it being made a big deal of, even for its 50th.
    For the moon landing? Or the first man in space? The moon landing is celebrated in the U.S. every year. You may not notice it, which is fine, there are plenty of stuff that gets celebrated annually in the U.S. that I don't notice, too.

Being more than a little hyperbolic imo, but, sure. Kind of sounds like a "thoughts and prayers" response to me, though.
    You think my response is hyperbolic? Just not following your intention/direction, and I don't want to assume.

7+ Year Old Account
    For the moon landing? Or the first man in space? The moon landing is celebrated in the U.S. every year. You may not notice it, which is fine, there are plenty of stuff that gets celebrated annually in the U.S. that I don't notice, too.
    Yeah, that's the heart of what I am getting at.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, that's the heart of what I am getting at.
    Gotcha - I'm a space nut, so I see all this stuff. But I'm not, say, a motorcycle enthusiast, so I wouldn't even register a landmark in that field.

I'm getting so... fucking tired of ANYTHING positive being said about anything to do with Russia = propaganda, bonus points when being accused of being a Putin shill.

ffs people..

the irony here is that this overblown hatred and painting Russia as some sort of irredeemable evil empire that couldn't have possibly have accomplished anything good whatsoever IS propaganda. and you are buying right into it. the truth is far more nuanced and complicated.

and Gagarin was a BAMF, period. all of the early humans in space were, regardless of the country they came from. (ok, fair, the ones in space right now are still BAMFS, but there is something extra about being pioneers)

5+ Year Old Account
    it seems first man in space is some mr human

https://mobile.twitter.com/StateDept...31984099864578
    Department of State
    @StateDept
    ·
    16h
    United States government organization
    Today marks 60 years since the first human was sent to space! On International #HumanSpaceFlight Day, we honor all U.S. astronauts who have ventured into space, including Apollo 11 astronaut and former Assistant Secretary of State Michael Collins
    just checked nasa, glad someone is above politics
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2021-04-13 at 08:17 AM.