Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Frolk View Post
    With so many people defending Blizzard, Blizzard will see this as "These people will defend anything we do, lets hit em with another boost and see if they still defend it"
    saying its not something to scream about is hardly defense...
    back when they added celestial steed people were all doom and gloom like you are now, "wow is dying" and "soon we will buy raid gear from store" and so on, we are more than decade later and shop still have just cosmetic items... so yeah, im not throwing tantrum like a little child about something that have absolutely no impact, if you want to suit yourself

Quote Originally Posted by Lolites View Post
    saying its not something to scream about is hardly defense...
    back when they added celestial steed people were all doom and gloom like you are now, "wow is dying" and "soon we will buy raid gear from store" and so on, we are more than decade later and shop still have just cosmetic items... so yeah, im not throwing tantrum like a little child about something that have absolutely no impact, if you want to suit yourself
    People are indirectly doing that with the token though.

Buy boost, level from 50 to 60.
    Buy gold and with that gold buy M+ and raid carries.

It's only a little bit of middle manning instead of just buying a random piece of gear + another weekly one in the chest directly from the shop.

I believe people said it will turn into a shitshow when they added TRH .. and well you have flying mice, pigs and ox on the store.
    Last edited by kranur; 2021-04-29 at 07:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Overshadowed by still doesn't mean there wasn't prestige or people celebrating for getting pets.
    In comparison to mounts, yes, their prestige was far smaller and this difference is why people react to CE pets much more negatively than store mounts.

Putting aside that CE's used to be something that also was invariably tied to a physical box.

Quote Originally Posted by Hinastorm View Post
    Anyone losing their minds over cosmetics is probably mentally ill in some way. I'll take the infraction.

- - - Updated - - -

So, more cosmetics? Who the f cares?
    This is honestly the truth. Who freaking cares. Just laugh at people who paid actual money for a mount that represents no accomplishment. Who cares if BC has 2 extra mounts in its lineup. The game is about gameplay, raiding, and PvP, not an extra cosmetic. To get so upset about something this little is beyond comical... it almost makes me want more so I can bask in all of the crying.

Man some people are just soft and need to ACCEPT the fact that there's going to be a couple little cosmetic additions that in no way affect actual gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by kranur View Post

Buy boost, level from 50 to 60.

It's only a little bit of middle manning instead of just buying a random piece of gear + another weekly one in the chest directly from the shop.

I believe people said it will turn into a shitshow when they added TRH .. and well you have flying mice, pigs and ox on the store.
    Totally not pay2win

Lemme drop 1-2k in tokens to buy pvp boosts.

3-7 mil for pvp boosts to 2.4k back in s4
    Last edited by Couchpotato2013; 2021-04-29 at 07:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    No, the point is that "it makes more money" can justify virtually any addition to the cash shop.
    It's not what Blizzard can do to make more money, but what they should (not) do.

I'm fairly certain that lootboxes would also make them quite a profit - to combat the prominence of boosting via 3rd parties of course.

Ah yes, and that has occurred within less than two years and is so huge that it completely offsets the smaller scope of TBC.
    Disregarding that TBC will most likely have a much bigger Profit estimation than Classic ever had, considering how hard Blizzard lowballed Classic initially.

Putting aside that a lot of major tech companies have contracts with their suppliers for a fixed price over a given period, so one of those contracts must have also run out during that period.

Or, perhaps none of ocurred at all / is barely a relevant factor and instead, they simply saw an opportunity to make more money
    which is the far simpler explanation.

I didn't claim that, there are however also a plethora of other factors that significantly cut down on costs, such as the automized customer support and the maintenance of their server infrastructure has likely gone down over the years simply due to optimization on Blizzards end.

This arguement goes both ways.

And here we don't even acknowledge that unlike Retail, TBC pays for itself after launch due to sub, they don't need to develop actually new content for TBC yet have a sizeable audience that pays a sub that is equivalent to that of an MMO still receives newly developed content updates.
    I don't think you understand how scaling solutions work. It's not fixed-price, and there's no contract to sign. If there is, then there's a usage cap of some kind. Regardless, in either scenario, when Classic exploded, so did their costs. They'll do the same if TBC Classic explodes, because that's how those solutions work. Ergo my statement of it costing more, now than it did initially (be it 14 years or 2 years).

I have no idea what their savings were on downsizing Customer Support, so I can't really comment on it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Scummy move, but can't say I care at all. More concerned about the botting situation and the boosts allowing said botters easier access to their methods.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Couchpotato2013 View Post
    Uh like I said. CEs were limited print. Store items are not. And if you put limited print items on the store you ruin the value they had. And that is not something blizzard should not strive toward just to satiate the happiness treadmill of addicts wanting to +1 on their account.
    You can't +1 your account with physical items and when people are talking about CE upgrades they are not asking for the physical items to be reprinted.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by Prag View Post
    Regardless, in either scenario, when Classic exploded, so did their costs. They'll do the same if TBC Classic explodes, because that's how those solutions work. Ergo my statement of it costing more, now than it did initially (be it 14 years or 2 years).
    If you think that cost isn't covered by all those people paying 13€/month, i don't know what to tell you, because this is what the explosion logically entails, you have also a lot more paying customers and i somehow doubt that the current sub price makes Blizzard operate at a net loss even at a high level of subs, because that's fucking stupid.
    Last edited by Kralljin; 2021-04-29 at 07:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kranur View Post

why do people give "Credit" for that to token?!
    people were buying gear/leveling/carries since vanila (i should know, my guild was selling all of it for roughly a decade before faling apart during WOD), it have nothing to do with token or shop...

- - - Updated - - -

Totally not pay2win

Lemme drop 1-2k in tokens to buy pvp boosts.

3-7 mil for pvp boosts to 2.4k back in s4
    boosting/carries/buying gear/gold wasa thing since vanila, so either wow is pay to win since it begun or its still not, depends how you see p2w, but token or shop definitely didnt cause that, if you think it did you are either lying to yourself or clueless

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by roboscorcher View Post
    Also, there are special mounts that Blizzard has given away for free. The Wandering Ancient, the chopper bikes, etc.
    What exactly are you basing this information on?

You can't +1 your account with physical items and when people are talking about CE upgrades they are not asking for the physical items to be reprinted.
    Lemme walk you through this:
    1. Limited print card containing code for vanilla-cata pet.
    2. Code is redeemed when associating with the account.
    3. Thus even though the item is digital, it has a finite supply because of the limited print code.
    4. Therefore, adding the pets on the store, thus devalues the worth that most people seek when wanting the physical collector’s editions.
    5. Ergo it would be wrong to add said items to a digital store.
    6. Exception could be made if items were reprinted again as they were back then (aka limited supply still). Making sure to prevent scalping/bot buying and even distribution within play regions (aka don’t just sell the boxes only in anaheim).

That is my train of thought for this entire affair. The box they are offering partly offends this given the buying of the collection edition and getting 2 TCG items for classic TBC (I can be wrong about this). TCG items were duped with WoD and thus have their value lessened abit (but does not warrant further degradation). It is good though they are not adding those toys to retail though, so that “redeems” it in a way.

If it was offering the netherwhelp though I would be flipping tables.

15+ Year Old Account
    Lemme walk you through this:
    You don't need to explain how digital account items work. The collectors part isn't the card the code was printed on but the digital pet the code redeemed. Lol.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by Lolites View Post
    why do people give "Credit" for that to token?!
    people were buying gear/leveling/carries since vanila (i should know, my guild was selling all of it for roughly a decade before faling apart during WOD), it have nothing to do with token or shop...

- - - Updated - - -

boosting/carries/buying gear/gold wasa thing since vanila, so either wow is pay to win since it begun or its still not, depends how you see p2w, but token or shop definitely didnt cause that, if you think it did you are either lying to yourself or clueless
    Because gold buying wasn't ok with Blizz and people who bought it from gold sellers, risked and often got banned for it. This obviously meant that less people would take the chance.

You don't need to explain how digital account items work. The collectors part isn't the card the code was printed on but the digital pet the code redeemed. Lol.
    And yet you somehow seem to think that putting stuff on the store would not devalue collector’s editions. When simple ebay auctions would clearly show that all CEs that had the codes used have a massive drop in value when compared to unused.

Thus it can be stated the only true value the population gets from CEs are the pets and digital items you get added to your account. And thus adding them to the store ruins any reason to have CEs.

seriously considering not playing over this.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    The level boost was 100% needed for a proper TBC experience (you started TBC at 60 not 1) but cash shop mounts can GTFO

15+ Year Old Account
    And yet you somehow seem to think that putting stuff on the store would not devalue collector’s editions. When simple ebay auctions would clearly show that all CEs that had the codes used have a massive drop in value when compared to unused.
    So we are using resellers as reason to keep things rarer now? Of course the value drops when the digital items are redeemed because very few people care about the physical things. There is no value to collecting the digital items though because they remain inside of the game only and will be erased when ever Blizzard shuts down the servers.

That doesn't mean people don't think they have value or want to tick off an item on their collectors wish list though. It doesn't ruin any reason to have CE's because Blizzard has had both a physical and digital collectors edition for the last few expansions now. And both sell. Weird right if as you say there is no reason to have a CE if you can buy a digital only CE.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    The level boost was 100% needed for a proper TBC experience (you started TBC at 60 not 1) but cash shop mounts can GTFO
    Classic is one expansion away from store mounts anyways. And the true value of the mount is the same as the Celestial Steed when it was first added. Account wide. As the mount pre-dated the account wide.

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    In the same vein, a mount holds more prestige.
    Mounts > Pets, that's pretty basic, pets were never really an item of prestige.

Heard any stories about a player *finally* getting their first pet?
    Nope.
    Any stories about a player finally having enough gold to purchase a certain pet?
    Nope.
    Do bosses drop a special pet when defeated on the highest difficulty?
    Generally, nope.

Mounts holds a higher prestige than pets, this is why Mounts are a much bigger deal for players than pets, trying to focus on this whole power vs. cosmetic thing gets you nowhere, the value here is the prestige those items hold.
    "Heard stories" as exhibit A in the case.

Case. Dismissed.

Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    "Heard stories" as exhibit A in the case.
    Well, the value of prestige isn't exactly measureable in numbers, but i think i'm not the only person who has had their story or heard stories about how people acquired their first mount in Vanilla or how amazing it felt.

Whereas i don't recall the first pet i received or heard any people getting all hyped about acquiring one, so there's that.

If you had any different experience in Vanilla / TBC, feel free to share them, altough i question whether a large group of people shares this sentiment.