Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Thumbs down The Tiny Things that Annoy You

EDIT: (Hmm. BBS Code allows stylized fonts in the Title when Previewing, but not when Submitting. Good to know!)

People always harp on about the "game-breaking" flaws that make them quit the game, both ironically and not. And there are threads and videos aplenty for them. For some, those are more fun and engaging than the game itself.

But what about the minor annoyances? The niggling little frustrations that just irk you?

The following list of annoyances are NOT going to make me quit the game. They are irritating, but just not overly so that I ever see people make threads or videos about them... but if they're never mentioned, the chance of them ever being fixed are 0%. At least by listing them here, the chance of someone influential seeing them is 0.000000001%. And as someone who farmed the MoP world boss mounts, I like those odds!

Mount-up Water Bubble Pop

I remember when they first changed the mount-up/dismount animation. After rubbing their hands, suddenly a puff of smoke would envelop the character. This was VERY annoying to me, and I said so at the time. Of course, I got the cliche "lol WoW players will complain about EHNYFING!" replies, but mounting up is something you do almost every time you log in. Play for a while,and you do it maybe 50 times. The average player has probably mounted/dismounted hundreds of thousands of time... so having the animation changed to be pointlessly annoying was... frustrating.

Then Shadowlands happened, and the devs added a giant water bubble pop. Because when you're mounting up and dismounting, a puff of smoke AND a giant magical water bubble appearing around your character and then popping in a little explosion makes the game more fun... right?

Great. Just great. And if this follows tradition, we'll be seeing the water bubble pop only a few hundred thousand times until they add another distracting, nonsensical spell effect. Maybe a swirly moonbeam?

Character Select Screen Size

Do you have alts? Compare an Undead to any other race on the Character Select screen. They're HUGE! But why? Why is the camera zoomed in so far on Undead? Compare this to trolls, who are so far away you can't appreciate the facial customization or transmog. Not as bad, but still pointlessly far away are dwarves. And it can't be for RP reasons because gnomes and goblins are zoomed in way more. There's just no reason for the camera to be so far zoomed in on Undead to make them giants, while the same camera is zoomed so far out for trolls.

I also miss the Cataclysm-era random combat animations, but it seems Blizzard wanted to reserve them for the character creation screen. It's as if they want you to be excited for creating a new character, but not having one already. Kind've like how utility companies offer plan discounts for new customers but not existing ones. At least they haven't removed the random Yawn/Fidget emote, so I can at least try to add variety to my screencaps.

5-second Background Music

Some BGM I like. Some, not so much. Some I absolutely love... but it seems I never get to hear any of them because moving my character 5 seconds in any direction changes the background music.

I know some people prefer not to play the BGM, or have it be silent and atmospheric, or even play other music or TV shows on another monitor... but some of us actually play the game in full immersion mode, and every time a new expansion hits, most people say the music remains 100% AAA quality. And often, I agree... but I never get to hear enough of it!

Wether it's walking through a city or flying through the air, Blizzard has set things up so every building changes the BGM, and every subzone has it's own BGM. The result: the player never gets to fully hear more than 20 seconds of the music track at most. Not unless they literally stop playing and stand still. Does the music have to change literally every time I go through any door at any time?

Macro Icon Search

There was once an addon that allowed you to search for just the right icon by keyword whenever you made macros, but it broke years ago. So if you want to make macros now, you're just going to have to scroll manually line by line through WoW's... what, 65,000 icons?

Frustrating. Inefficient. Mind-numbing. But that brief time the addon was working was beautiful. Such a small, basic, seemingly obvious feature. And yet, not possible in WoW. Why?

Eyebrow Lag

Not sure how many years ago this weird bug cropped up, but no matter what character is shown first upon logging in, they always have an angry eyebrow selected. After 2 seconds, the game will "adjust" them back to what I selected at the Barber Shop. Wether it's Orc or Night Elf or whatever; they always appear angry when I first get to the Character Select screen... until 2 seconds later, when their eyebrows "pop" back into place.

It's not a lag thing, as I've tested this on fast connections and slow connections. The game just doesn't load the eyebrows as a priority, as if it's too far down the queue of things to load. But wait 2 seconds, and.... pop! Eyebrows back to normal!

Rocking Horse Riding Animation

It's possible that this has been noticed by other players as well, but when I'm mounted up and riding along the ground, my character gets rocked forward and back as if they are on a rocking horse. It's amazing they don't get thrown off!

It's also possible that people don't notice this because they always have their camera facing forward, up far behind the back of their character's head so the issue isn't noticeable. However, if you circle the camera around while you're moving should you wish to take a snapshot of yourself riding in open fields amidst a lovely backdrop (a Blizzard speciality), you then see your character's head being throttled back and forth as if riding a wild bucking bronco. And you think, "that ain't right."

Just a few minor annoyances that will NOT make me quit the game. But typing them out is better than not, since staying silent only guarantees that issues never, ever get addressed or even made aware of. Again, I'm not talking about the big things that ruin your enjoyment... I'm talking about the small, paltry annoyances that are always there, that you see every day and happen over and over that you've just accepted, but annoy the heck out of you.

PS. Take no notice of any toxic, 10yr accounts that only drop by to proclaim how "OmG WoW players complain about EHNEE-THANG, and they just have to tell you how much they don't care. Remember; they're flagged Red for a reason. Don't be intimidated; If a small game mechanic irks you, tell us!
    Last edited by thottstation; 2021-05-01 at 06:18 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thottstation View Post
    EDIT: (Hmm. BBS Code allows stylized fonts in the Title when Previewing, but not when Submitting. Good to know!)
    Fixed the thread title.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

The inconsistency of being to open various things when flying. Sure, I can understand that you might be hanging on with dear life, not opening a treasure chest to root around for a pile of gold and a new sword. But would be something to do during that 90 seconds.

Similarly, if I had 1g for every time I've been dismounted by putting on the Safari Hat en route to the pet battle fight in Shadowmoon Valley, I'd buyout Gazlowe ;D

10+ Year Old Account
    There was a time during BfA when Blizzard was inconsistent how they spelled N'Zoth's name. Back and forth between N'zoth and N'Zoth. That is the most recent but there were other examples in past expansions of inconsistent spelling of certain names.

10+ Year Old Account
    Macro Icon Search

There was once an addon that allowed you to search for just the right icon by keyword whenever you made macros, but it broke years ago. So if you want to make macros now, you're just going to have to scroll manually line by line through WoW's... what, 65,000 icons?

Frustrating. Inefficient. Mind-numbing. But that brief time the addon was working was beautiful. Such a small, basic, seemingly obvious feature. And yet, not possible in WoW. Why?
    https://www.curseforge.com/wow/addon...icon-selection still works fine
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Glyphs are spec specific

I like my healthstone fountain glowing. But I need the glyph for that 3 times, for each spec. It's a basic WL ability, it should not require 3 glyphs for that.

The inconsistency of the Kyrian travel network buff

For all non-Kyrians: If you use the Kyrian fast travel network, you get a buff that increases your movement speed by 100% for 10-20 seconds. The buff should trigger upon arrival, when you begin to move. But... it doesn't. Sometimes it activates not at all, sometimes it's canceled early by interacting with something, sometimes it triggers 10 seconds too late... It's just annoying.

Blademaster
    5+ Year Old Account

5-second Background Music

Some BGM I like. Some, not so much. Some I absolutely love... but it seems I never get to hear any of them because moving my character 5 seconds in any direction changes the background music.

I know some people prefer not to play the BGM, or have it be silent and atmospheric, or even play other music or TV shows on another monitor... but some of us actually play the game in full immersion mode, and every time a new expansion hits, most people say the music remains 100% AAA quality. And often, I agree... but I never get to hear enough of it!

Wether it's walking through a city or flying through the air, Blizzard has set things up so every building changes the BGM, and every subzone has it's own BGM. The result: the player never gets to fully hear more than 20 seconds of the music track at most. Not unless they literally stop playing and stand still. Does the music have to change literally every time I go through any door at any time?

Somewhat related to this point, 5 second weather effects lol. Sometimes if I'm feeling in a certain mood I WANT it to be raining, it feels immersive, makes the world more real to me. I'll log on and it'll be raining and I'll think "sweet this creates the perfect atmosphere/mood for what I'm looking for today". So I'll mount up ready to enjoy my rainy adventure and as soon as I go 5 feet in any direction the rain stops and out comes the sun lol. I almost wish there was a potion you could use like the one they have for making it night time only in this case you could turn "rain" on or off.

No longer really into lore or story stuff (although I occasionally still gripe about how bad it is)

But it irks me whenever Blizzard jabs or pokes fun at their own incompetence or nonsense. See: Ray D. Tear grave in Garrison to poke fun at their "That will cost a raid tier." BS, or the Farahlon missions in the shipyard that hahafunny referenced their inability to produce content in time in WoD. There's also the Night Fae into questline with the play, where they make fun of how nonsensical is for a planet to exist with another planet-sized sword embedded deep inside of it.

Macro Icon Search

Large Macro Icon Selection works for that.

The way every single damned horse in this game animates as it walks and gallops/canters.

The only horse with an even halfway decent run animation is the Hearthsteed, but then it's physically deformed instead with short-AF hind legs and a walking animation that's pathetic.

Invincible having the shitty run animation of a hippogryph rather than the majestic canter/gallop of say, a Friesian horse, is beyond pitiful.

The fact that many old world mount drop rares have a 5 second buffer where it can't die so everyone can get the tag, yet the rule doesn't apply to everything. There are many rares that will die in one blow and it makes the experience altogether toxic, discouraging any kind of social activity when there's more than 5 people.

The tiny things that annoys me: gnomes.

Quote Originally Posted by LordVargK View Post
    Glyphs are spec specific

I like my healthstone fountain glowing. But I need the glyph for that 3 times, for each spec. It's a basic WL ability, it should not require 3 glyphs for that.
    What's arguably worse is when a glyph seems to be spec-generic ends up being exclusive, like Glyph of Angels being unusable by Disc Priest when it sounds like it would work for Power Word: Radiance and Penance.

On another note, the fact that Warcraft's wyverns are, by description, actually manticores has always gotten under my skin.

I'm with you on the macro thing. Such a failure of an UI feature, that should have been fixed over a decade ago. Each new expansion just makes it ever more laughable.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

7+ Year Old Account
    The water bubble thing aint water bubbles, its air waves.
    But yeah rest sure.

Also i would post them again here, but instead i will just do this.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...th-shadowlands
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...-fuck-blizzard
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...arad-is-horrid

Quote Originally Posted by Zypherz View Post
    The fact that many old world mount drop rares have a 5 second buffer where it can't die so everyone can get the tag, yet the rule doesn't apply to everything. There are many rares that will die in one blow and it makes the experience altogether toxic, discouraging any kind of social activity when there's more than 5 people.
    Even worse than that are the situations where kills aren't even shared. Like full groups completly tagging stuff only for them or faction tagging. When having other players near you becomes a detriment you have failed at pretty much everything that makes an MMO in my book. Unless you want to encourage people griefing one another (like korean mmorpgs), but I certainly don't see the appeal in any non-warmode setting.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Most of my gripes are with unused models. The fact that they have new models for old gryphons and wyverns, but wont update them. Grand Kodos, troll raptors, orc wolves, and dwarven rams are also in a dire need of a refresh. Night elves got updated nightsabers too, also unused! And go to Outland some time; all of the demons are using the clunky old models, for no reason. Hopefully all of this can finally changer now that BC Classic is the place for Muh Nostalgia.

The Plaguebat mount from Battle For Lordaeron is a felbat. There are bats all around Tirisfal, the flight masters are all bats, there were updated bat mount riggings in BfA, but we got a dumb demon instead, bogus.

Then there's the alternate colorations problem. Back in Burning Crusade, when you unlocked a mount like the flyiong squids or whatever, talbuks, and netherdrakes, you'd unlock a bunch of different colored ones for gold. But now you get exalted with the Zandalari and only unlock one variation of the terrorwing, even though there are quite a few already in the game as flightpath and npc mounts. It's just dumb, give us the recolors lol.

Motorcycles have a jumping animation, so do carts like the one in the goblin starting zone...... but goblin trikes do not. They just, sort of. go up. It's jarring and the only reason my goblin isnt using those mounts.

THEY CHARGE US 25 DOLLARS FOR A BOAT MOUNT THAT FLIES OVER LAND AND DOESNT FLOAT ON WATER.
    Last edited by Amnaught; 2021-05-01 at 03:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Amnaught View Post
    Most of my gripes are with unused models. The fact that they have new models for old gryphons and wyverns, but wont update them. Grand Kodos, troll raptors, orc wolves, and dwarven rams are also in a dire need of a refresh. Night elves got updated nightsabers too, also unused! And go to Outland some time; all of the demons are using the clunky old models, for no reason. Hopefully all of this can finally changer now that BC Classic is the place for Muh Nostalgia.

Every time they do an update theres always a vocal group who start screaming about them changing the game. Hell when they redid the bears they had to leave the old models on a bunch of random npcs so that hunters wouldnt freak out. Its the same thing with the character updates. There is still a dedicated group of people who complain that the old low poly models were sooooooo much better.

That there's people that think massively MULTIPLAYER online rpgs (like wow) should have their focus on single player elements and that those exact people think that encouraging (in their words "forcing") group content is bad.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bwgmon View Post
    On another note, the fact that Warcraft's wyverns are, by description, actually manticores has always gotten under my skin.
    And Quilens are actually foo-dogs/shishi and the Windsteeds are the actual Quilens/Kirin/qilin.
    Annoys me.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks
    That new female Tauren models have a mouth shaped like a horse's and not like a cow and the idle animation make them look absolutely stoned.

Animations
    That they removed the race unique combat animations in favour of the same animations for all classes no matter the race still infuriates me. My Tauren shammy now moves like any other shammy and has lost a lot of her unique flair.
    They also did this in Legion, right before we got an expansion (BFA) that focused on race pride. Boggles my mind.

Also have to agree on the music part. It doesn't work having that many individual points of music in the same zone. It makes it a cluttered mess of sound. I have my finger on ctrl+m for this reason when I enter areas with music I can't stand because I know it will ruin my mood.