Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Covers you may not have realized were covers..and the artists who origionally sang it

I was watching some videos on YouTube discussing songs that people didn't know were actually covers of other artist's songs. How many of these did you know were covers? I was really shocked on quite a few of them. You have any you could add to the list?

• I Love Rock & Roll - ORIGINALLY RECORDED BY The Arrows MADE FAMOUS BY Britney Spears & Joan Jett
    • Don't Leave Me This Way - ORIGINALLY RECORDED BY Thelma Houston MADE FAMOUS BY Donna Summer
    • Tainted Love - ORIGINALLY RECORDED BY Gloria Jones MADE FAMOUS BY Soft Cell & Marilyn Manson
    • Teenage Dirtbag - ORIGINALLY RECORDED BY Wheatus MADE FAMOUS BY Weezer
    • Nothing Compares 2 U - ORIGINALLY RECORDED BY The Family MADE FAMOUS BY Sinead O'Connor
    • Escape (The Pina Colada Song) - ORIGINALLY RECORDED BY Rupert Holmes MADE FAMOUS BY Jimmy Buffett
    • Me and Bobby McGee - ORIGINALLY RECORDED BY Roger Miller MADE FAMOUS BY Janis Joplin
    • I Write Sins Not Tragedies - ORIGINALLY RECORDED BY Panic! at the Disco MADE FAMOUS BY Fall Out Boy
    • If I Were A Boy - ORIGINALLY RECORDED BY BC Jean MADE FAMOUS BY Beyonce
    • Cats In The Cradle - ORIGINALLY RECORDED BY Harry Chapin MADE FAMOUS BY Cat Stevens
    • Achy Breaky Heart - ORIGINALLY RECORDED BY The Marcy Brothers MADE FAMOUS BY Billy Ray Cyrus
    • A Horse With No Name - ORIGINALLY RECORDED BY Dewey Bunnell MADE FAMOUS BY Neil Young
    • Crazy - ORIGINALLY RECORDED BY Willie Nelson MADE FAMOUS BY Patsy Cline
    • Stacy’s Mom - ORIGINALLY RECORDED BY Fountains Of Wayne MADE FAMOUS BY Bowling For Soup
    • Don't Turn Around - ORIGINALLY RECORDED BY Tina Turner MADE FAMOUS BY Ace of Base
    • Half The Man I Used To Be - ORIGINALLY RECORDED BY Stone Temple Pilots’ MADE FAMOUS BY Nirvana
    • Torn - ORIGINALLY RECORDED BY Ednaswap MADE FAMOUS BY Natalia Imbruglia
    • Girls Just Wanna Have Fun - ORIGINALLY RECORDED BY Robert Hazard MADE FAMOUS BY Cyndi Lauper
    Last edited by gaymer77; 2021-05-02 at 04:59 AM. Reason: fixed Girls, Rock & Roll and Torn

10+ Year Old Account
    This is ridiculous. Most of these songs were huge hits before they were covered.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    [*]Girls Just Wanna Have Fun - ORIGINALLY RECORDED BY Cyndi Lauper MADE FAMOUS BY Robert Hazard
    With this one being one of the most ridiculous examples

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    [*]Torn - ORIGINALLY RECORDED BY Natalia Imbruglia MADE FAMOUS BY Ednaswap
    Ednaswap's was the original; Imbruglia's was the cover. Actually I think it was written by Edsnaswap; but originally recorded by a Danish singer.
    Last edited by Liarparadox; 2021-05-02 at 03:27 AM.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansworst View Post
    This is ridiculous. Most of these songs were huge hits before they were covered.

I had a MAJOR fucking crush on Cyndi Lauper.

10+ Year Old Account
    A horse with no name made famous by Neill Young?

10+ Year Old Account
    You flip-flopped some of these, check your formatting.
    /s

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed this thread is so bad. Like mistaking “creep” -stp for a nirvana song is hilarious...rip Scott and Kurt if we talking about them.

2pac's changes is massively influenced by the way it is by bruce hornsby and the range and people rave on about how ahead of the game he was

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    2pac's changes is massively influenced by the way it is by bruce hornsby and the range and people rave on about how ahead of the game he was
    And Tupac never actually recorded that song. It was some random cut and paste of previously recorded verses, just to milk that cow after his death.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    He never recorded Changes in 1992? Source please.
    You are right, I totally forgot about that one, I only remembered the terrible remix version from 98

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Suuuure you did.
    Yeah I did, I mixed it up with another song which was cut and paste after someone's death but now I can't remember who it was.... Was it Biggie?

No mention of Jimi Hendrix's "All along the Watchtower"? I am disappoint.

15+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Liarparadox View Post
    Ednaswap's was the original; Imbruglia's was the cover. Actually I think it was written by Edsnaswap; but originally recorded by a Danish singer.
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    You flip-flopped some of these, check your formatting.
    Fixed them including I Love Rock & Roll which didn't even list The Arrows as the originally recorded by at all lol

im pretty sure every song is a bob dylan or leonard cohen cover

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I like how you have "Made Famous" written as if they weren't covered because they were already famous.

One People often fuck up is Hurt by Nine Inch Nails which was covered by Johnny Cash, not the other way around.

Also most of Tears for Fears hit songs were covered by others, Shout, Mad World, Everybody wants to rule the World, etc.

Sweet Dreams was also another cover Marilyn Manson did. Originally by the fantastic Eurhythmics.
    Last edited by Super Kami Dende; 2021-05-02 at 05:44 AM.

Stacy’s Mom - ORIGINALLY RECORDED BY Fountains Of Wayne MADE FAMOUS BY Bowling For Soup
    The Fountains of Wayne version was the famous version. Haven't even heard of Bowling For Soup.

- - - Updated - - -

Half The Man I Used To Be - ORIGINALLY RECORDED BY Stone Temple Pilots’ MADE FAMOUS BY Nirvana
    This is just.....blasphemous. The STP version is like one of their most famous songs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    The Fountains of Wayne version was the famous version. Haven't even heard of Bowling For Soup.

- - - Updated - - -

This is just.....blasphemous. The STP version is like one of their most famous songs.
    Yea I didn't even know Nirvana covered it to be honest. It was already famous.

Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post
    Yea I didn't even know Nirvana covered it to be honest. It was already famous.
    nirvana never covered it, it was mistakenly marked as nirvana (on limewire, kazaa ete) while always being STP.

Another gem from these mistakes is "Citizen King - I've seen better days"...which was marked as Sublime but never was. This thread is a very dangerous, akin to the misinformation status...lmao.

5+ Year Old Account
    Duuuude

You got it all wrong

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    Worthless thread.

And the title has typos.
    /spit@Blizzard