Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Does WoW need a "Wizard" mode?

Food for thought. Would WoW function better if there was an extremely high difficulty mode for content that once cleared instantly rewarded all of that modes progression?

For example say you beat wizard mode torghast. You unlock all leggo patterns and soul ash is instantly fulfilled for all future crafting. Lets say you get all your keystones done at level 20 suddenly all your conduits are filled.

That was the high end player base isn't dragged into other people's progression systems and muck them all up for both parties, while by the same token wizard mode would be hard enough only a small fraction of the playerbase could do it keeping that progression relevant for others.

its opposite to what blizzard's model. Blizz model is to milk playerbase's time with long grinds and little rewards and make them repeat indefinitely

Like other post, if you unlock everything then why would you continue playing.

Quote Originally Posted by testsubjectzz View Post
    Like other post, if you unlock everything then why would you continue playing.
    Because you enjoy playing
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

Quote Originally Posted by Drusin View Post
    Some people just forget to enjoy wow. I was looking at my guild today just to see how many were tagged raider. So many have been offline for weeks to months. These were the guys pushing high m+ keys and raided at the highest level. They just burnt themselves out.

Come to think of it, I don't really enjoy wow at all either. I have my KSM, I have my CE, I just logon to see if I can get into a heroic and parse.

10+ Year Old Account
    All the kids will whine to mummy that Wizard mode is too hard, and then Mums with Creditcards will complain to Blizzard, and Blizzard will cave in and nerf the difficulty..

We have seen that a thousand times, when they add hard content.
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

Quote Originally Posted by misterrium View Post
    its opposite to what blizzard's model. Blizz model is to milk playerbase's time with long grinds and little rewards and make them repeat indefinitely
    Beware, you confused Blizzard and MMORPG in your post.

5+ Year Old Account
    Haha, that would make anyone try to do 20+ and get the rewards. Now that most of the endgame players is on PTR mythic + 15’s are barely doable in pugs, especially this week, which is weird because this week is easier. I have seen many complaints about mythic raiding not being accessible for majority of people or that it should be flexed. If this was invented people would go crazy. When we will free Primus though, legendaries could be sold by him and weekly amount of Soul Ash more obtainable from higher difficulty dungeons or even raids. That would be actually great.

It's casuals who need catch-up rewards, not high-end. High end can and will already get what they need.

You're proposing rich get richer and poor get poorer. It doesn't help the right people in need.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Spears View Post
    Food for thought. Would WoW function better if there was an extremely high difficulty mode for content that once cleared instantly rewarded all of that modes progression?

For example say you beat wizard mode torghast. You unlock all leggo patterns and soul ash is instantly fulfilled for all future crafting. Lets say you get all your keystones done at level 20 suddenly all your conduits are filled.

That was the high end player base isn't dragged into other people's progression systems and muck them all up for both parties, while by the same token wizard mode would be hard enough only a small fraction of the playerbase could do it keeping that progression relevant for others.
    Yeah, sure. Nothing could go wrong. It is not like people are already complaining about "how easy" better players have it, in terms of gear.

Im curious what the actual benefit is though to anyone but 'the small fraction' are though? I mean, its not like y'all are going to suddenly stop telling everyone to L2P or whatever? Like, what is it we're actually getting out of this? Has the difficulty or challenge of all content below that point been lowered or something? Or do you mean the challenge goes up because the hardcore no longer need to do their busy work? Like how does this help someone running their +6 anyway? What do you mean here? It seems like im not really getting much out of this deal, whilst youre making out like a bandit.

MMOs real currency is time played. Most aspects of the game are made to take time and not skill for this reason.

You are asking for a FINISH / WIN condition in this endless game, I can only guess you did not play MMOs that much or did not understand the basic concept in this genre.
    -

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by misterrium View Post
    if that was truly the case they wouldn't have catchup mechanics at all. like seriously, the only metric that Blizz seems to care about is MAU's. which require a player to log in once a month. not a big ask.

however funny to play some content might be without any reward its soo much less enjoyable...
    MMORPG genre is based on time spent and rewards, this goes in completely opposite direction

That is no longer an economically feasible model for long-term projects like MMOs.

You cannot create enough meaningful content quickly enough to keep both casual and hardcore players engaged purely through entertainment value - not if you want to make a buck in the process, anyway. That's why everything is now built with long-term retention models in mind that use gamification and gating to find the sweet spot between the allure of enjoyable content and the continuous time investment of a progression model. I.e., they are trying to use the few good parts to keep you playing through the bad parts, which exist only to keep you occupied and stretch out time so you don't exhaust the good parts too quickly.

Everything gets stale eventually, and with the overabundance of alternative forms of entertainment, even stellar products will exhaust their audience quickly without a retention mechanic.
    Last edited by Biomega; 2021-05-03 at 07:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by testsubjectzz View Post
    Some people just forget to enjoy wow.
    It's not about forgetting to enjoy WoW, the content is thin right now because people have done it again and again, so they are just waiting until the next patch/season. That's not a bad thing, you don't have to enjoy WoW every waking moment of your life.

15+ Year Old Account
    You used to keep playing to PVP and use PVP as a sandbox to test characters, but now everything is so grindy and locked behind end-game prerequisites. They've "systemized" the sandbox out of the game, the systems have bogarted PVP alts or any type of alt out of the game.

People will say there's catch up systems for alts, but in reality they don't matter at all, they're like drops in a bucket compared to how much you'll have to play for your alt to be able to match your main.
    Why would anyone want to repeat this stale content in any capacity, let alone go through the catch up, then grind the MMR/IO meat factory. It's just grind after grind after grind at this point.
    You have to pray the new M+ rating thing does anything, otherwise the game is just grind after grind after grind.

What the game actually needs is an item or a feature that allows you to mirror the power of your main onto an alt, but can only be done once per character. So it would just instantly upgrade all your alt's gear to the same ilvl, all the powers and conduit levels and anima levels and level levels, just a straight mirror. Too bad we all know this would never happen.

The writing on the wall really was the Heirloom changes. That says everything about how they feel about alts and the grindy destiny they have in mind for addi.. I mean players.
    Last edited by msdos; 2021-05-03 at 08:01 AM.

Curious, why is it called "Wizard" mode?
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Why though? Players on that level are allready not playing the lower difficulties and you can get the stuff on a higher level allready.
    Also: Why would you get all Leggo patterns for finishing thorgast? That would make the game so extremly faster than if i do it on a lower level...

I agree that hogher level should give higher rewards but you should never be able to skip something completly just because you are a skilled player.
    Lenny Twolefthands playing the game on his level should not take weeks longer to get the leggo just cause he is not such a skilled player. This will only further divide the top end bottom end.

According to these very forums, nobody has been enjoying wow for at least 15 years now.