Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by guldin View Post
    This was the first, for a very long time, that I have started reminiscing about a WoW Expansion.
    Not particularly. The extreme timegating, the reinforcement and doubling down on the borrowed power issue (that people seem to barely care about that it happened in legion but hate in follow-up expansions where it was less invasive), the half-assed "content" like ToV/EN and the joke that was mage tower, suramar, etc.

Meh.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    Legion and MoP were my fav expansions. I haven't enjoyed the game even a little since Legion ended. After Shadowlands was so boring, I believe I will not play WoW anymore(ever), but I do visit these forums because they aren't just for WoW.
    But you made sure to come to the wow section to let people know you arent playing anymore? Lol

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by erifwodahs View Post
    First time I hear someone saying that Nighthold was a bad raid. Legit. It might have not been the greatest raid, but it was good in my eyes.
    Suramar was gorgeous and very detailed city and it has story behind it, a progress to the zone. Kind of like ToT, just better and more. Arcway was a normal dungeon, CoS was quite interesting with it's mini-game and professions actually mattering.

Legion is contrasted it seems, a lot of people either absolutely loved it or absolutely hated it. I for sure name it as my #1.
    This is legit the first time I am hearing complains about suramar including the raid aswell. The expansion itself desere critique, but Suramar is not what was expecting.

The city/raid/dung all had a pretty good story imo.

Psst he probably didnt know about the mask, complaining about the density is just stupid.
    Last edited by Alanar; 2021-05-11 at 04:02 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Legion kicked off the class design choices which have soiled the game for the past five years. PvErs got to mask it thanks to legendaries and set bonuses, PvPers got to see an early glimpse of BfA.

I miss Legion launch. I haven’t been that consistently excited for weeks on end in WoW since maybe BC (or MoP).

7.0 and 7.1 were fantastic aside from the legendaries. Which was super sad because they tainted Legion’s launch with something so simply solved later with the simplest of systems : a currency. Why must it take them 1 year to solve stuff that simple; we may never know.

7.2 was bad. The broken shore and the “campaign” were the worst content in Legion and Tomb was the worst raid IMO. Yes, even over EN - which suffered more from undertuning than bad fights. If not for the mage tower and class mounts, there would be nothing to praise.

7.3 felt phoned in. More green space rocks and legion towers (across two ‘zones’!) with a new sky box, and then a raid set amongst those same green rocks and legion towers.
    Mac’Aree was cool though.

I was definitely pumped for BfA to arrive after slogging through the back half of Legion. In hindsight, things getting worse over the course of Legion should have been a harbinger...
    Last edited by Villager720; 2021-05-11 at 04:04 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Legion was the last pretty good expansion. It clearly had more effort put into it than BfA or SL.

I didn't think everything was great, but it offered twice as much as SL offers today. Legendary fishing rod alone demonstrates it. Most professions were more interesting and had more lore than simply go grind rep for recipe. More places to go and little things like the puzzle WQs were a lot more interesting and challenging than BfA or SL.

By the end, the artifact weapon choices became irrelevant, but it was at least something that provided a bit of a reward for grinding APv1. APv3 (and its sub material Soul Dust) is more hollow in comparison.

Legion was about an average expansion for me: story was good but early Legion was not. I would say the best patches were probably 7.1 and 7.3 with all the catch-up mechanics and the raid tiers (Broken Shore sucked outside of Mage Tower). 7.1 is probably the best patch in that entire expansion.

Artifact mechanics and Legiondaries just werent that good until the catchup mechanics came later.

Release DH lol

Some of the order halls werent as good as others.
    Last edited by TidalConflux; 2021-05-11 at 04:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Villager720 View Post
    Why must it take them 1 year to solve stuff that simple; we may never know.
    Because this fuckery has method to it. Something similar happened in BfA with corruption gear as well and will most likely happen in SL too, it's simply to drag out content in non-deterministic ways.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Alanar View Post
    This is legit the first time I am hearing complains about suramar including the raid.

The city/raid/dung all had a pretty good story imo.

Psst he probably didnt know about the mask, complaining about the density is just stupid.
    What I love the most about Suramar is the whole buildup of the story. How we start helping Thalryssa from a cave, to infiltrate the city, to launch an attack and then end Gul'dan and free the Nightborne. Suramar Insurrection is easily my favorite story in the game since we are changing Suramar and its people through gameplay.

And my, the city is gorgeous. At night, what a sight. The Nightborne we be aiding, what are you hiding?

Court of Stars, my favorite dungeon in the game.

Nighthold, top 3 raid in the game for me.

Suramar <3
    Last edited by Doffen; 2021-05-11 at 04:11 PM.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Villager720 View Post
    Why must it take them 1 year to solve stuff that simple; we may never know.
    I have a feeling Blizzard has a very politial work envoirment. Meaning if some one has a idea, it will take 100 steps and 100 opinions before anything happends. Working at a university has te same political style and its super annoying. People like to feel important.. its disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalam the Venom View Post
    Legion was terrible, i remember the preasure from guildies and the berratings when i got the ”Wrong” legendary while the other of the same class in the guild got the better one.

So barely any good legion memories for me, just stress & anxiety.
    Well, it's not really the game's job to make your guildies into decent people. That one is kinda on them (and you for sticking it out instead of finding a better group of people to play with).

Yeah, the Legion legendary system could have used some balance and acquisition improvements, but it was only a big issue for people who made it such (small population of top tier raiders and tryhards). For the general playerbase (and especially casuals), the AP grind and Legendary RNG wasn't enough to detract from the better parts of the expansion. I certainly enjoyed it. It was the last expansion where I played almost throughout, no long breaks from the game.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doffen View Post
    What I love the most about Suramar is the whole buildup of the story. How we start helping Thalryssa from a cave, to infiltrate the city, to launch an attack and then end Gul'dan and free the Nightborne. Suramar Insurrection is easily my favorite story in the game since we are changing Suramar and its people through gameplay.

And my, the city is gorgeous. At night, what a sight. The Nightborne we be aiding, what are you hiding?

Court of Stars, my favorite dungeon in the game.

Nighthold, top 3 raid in the game for me.

Suramar <3
    Yea I agree.

The city itself was realy beautifull and the Nightborne were pretty interesting, Elisande was my personal favorite.

She was interesting and kinda mysterious, good intentions, but saw no other outcome.

Sadly blizz did the nigtborne dirty and could not even give us actual nightborne as playable race, but gave us big eye recolored night elves.

Quote Originally Posted by LordVargK View Post
    Cata was the same as WotLK, just with a worse last patch. To consider MoP a filler is just insane. MoP had probably the best story of all WoW expansions (yes, including WotLK and Legion) coupled with the pinnacle of WoW gameplay. It was not flawless (daily hell and a loooooong SoO come to mind) but endgame and villain wise it was the best WoW had seen till that point. And it surpassed every following expansion when it comes to player agency. TBC, WotLK and Cata had trash villains compared to MoP and were only successful because of WC3. In TBC we just killed any character from WC3, just because. WotLK was slightly better, but the whole "Arthas is just toying with us"-trope was super lame. It did have very memorable moments, but as a final boss Arthas was underwhelming. Looked good on the cover, though.
    The Arthas fight was a thing, though. The gating was annoying, but once you get there it was quite a fight by the standards of the time. Lots going on, very unforgiving.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    The wow opinion cycle:

Expansion X is current content - omg this is literally the worst shit ever, I am unsubbing after X continuous years of paying

Expansion X is the previous one - okay it was bad but it had its moments, and had this and that better than the current one

Expansion X is 2 expacs back - wow, expansion X was legendary, it was a bit bad at release but I loved it so much later down the line, bring it back as "Expansion X Classic Blizz"
    Nope. I think BfA was worse than SL. I think Legion was pretty good, but it doesn't beat WotLK (in it's day - I suspect it won't have aged well) or MoP (which aside from daily hell in the beginning I very much liked). So your cycle doesn't fit me or quite a number of others in this thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    I miss the guild and the people, the farm and such not so much.
    “My philosophy is: It’s none of my business what people say of me and think of me. I am what I am and I do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. And it makes life so much easier.
    ― Anthony Hopkins

Quote Originally Posted by RaoBurning View Post
    Or maybe I'm just butthurt because I loved my floating, shit talking skull weapon so much
    I'm a pretty annoyed that they killed the weapons so dead that even new characters levelling don't have them. Also, I'm sad that I never got round to getting that skull - my lock only ever did the Afflic weapon quest, because I assumed I'd be able to go back and do all the weapons I missed later on. Silly me.

I miss mage tower, last patch and affliction being awesome in m+ and rot playstyle working in pvp. Calculating endless interrupts while trying to get a cast off in SL arena isnt fun for casters who dont have some trick vs interrupts, and for some reason aff's best answer (instant seeds) was removed despite the specc not being very powerful in Legion arena.

Quote Originally Posted by Ealyssa View Post
    Outside the first few months of terrible legiondaries RNG, yes it was glorious.

Suramar alone, having a full, gorgeous, new zone at max level was an excellent idea. That the garbage maw really don't compare to.

Legion was THE template of great expansion onward. Blizzard just had to smooth the few rough thing and it was done, gg, great content every 2 years.

But nope. They somehow went to systempocalypse in BfA. And, COVID not helping obviously, content drought 9.0 SL.
    I'm just baffled by how incompetent some of their management must be.
    This complete failure to learn and keep the good bits from an expansion has been a thing since the Cata -> MoP change at the very latest. They mangled a lot of specs moving from Cata to MoP, specs that they'd managed to get working well over the course of Cata which started out pretty rough for a lot of specs because of the ability rebuilds required to fit Mastery in.

Then, going from MoP to WoD and onwards they managed to throw out the good features of Isle of Thunder and (especially) Timeless Isle and keep the bad bits. Likewise for hidden loot and 'common' rares and so on. TI had a great flow and loot boxes that were worth farming for a while, and by the time they weren't you were probably onto farming mad cow rep, or working an an alt, or whatever. It got old because of the long, long wait for WoD, not because the design of TI was bad. Heck, despite that looong wait MoP didn't bleed subs until the very end (though it had the initial 'spike and drop' of every post-LK expac). They managed to take the worst features of MoP's farm and make them even more of a problem in WoD's garrison (making gathering professions worthless in WoD).

In Legion they tossed out the part of WoD's profession system that worked - the crafting.

And so on.

Legion was a pretty damn good expansion...

Quote Originally Posted by shoegazing View Post
    FUCK NO I do not miss the single worst WoW expansion of all time, that singlehandedly ruined the entire Rogue class and did irreparable damage to class design in general
    I remember my Sub Rogue as being quite fun in Legion. BfA, OTOH... Actually, thinking about it, Legion was only so-so because it was better than WoD (though I forget why - slow-fall weapon maybe?). It was MoP that was still fun.

To be fair, I suck at Rogue though, and the most fun I ever had with mine was in Cata, when Sub's openers were so stupidly strong.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Raelyn View Post
    Absolutely. Legion was by far my favourite expac since WotLK. I loved Pala healing in Legion and hate it now makes me so sad.
    It was the only time post-LK I found Pally healing at all fun. I loved Pally healing in LK, for all that all you did (and could do) was spam single-target heals really fast.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mardux View Post
    Not particularly. The extreme timegating, the reinforcement and doubling down on the borrowed power issue (that people seem to barely care about that it happened in legion but hate in follow-up expansions where it was less invasive), the half-assed "content" like ToV/EN and the joke that was mage tower, suramar, etc.
    I found the 'borrowed power' of the Legion weapons a whole lot less invasive than azerite powers. The weapons were effectively an extension of the powers you got when levelling or from your talents. Azerite powers just felt tacked on, both mechanically and in terms of lore, etc., which is something the artefact weapons had. And now the borrowed power is a set covenant ability that everyone in it gets that has to be about as useful as every other covenants' one, a class ability (also theoretically of the same value as the other three) that has to work for all 2-4 specs, and a legendary that generally has a watered-down version of an old artefact weapon trait or talent. The best M+ legendary for Ret gives something that was considered a 'nice to have' trait of Ashbringer that was a pale shadow of what Ret had as a talent enhancing Divine Storm in WoD.

I do think we should've got another talent layer in BfA, and we certainly should've in SL. Having the same number of talents as in WoD (if I'm recalling things correctly) is just stingy.

I do miss Legion, despite some of the problems it had. TBF I don't think there's any expac I went through that didn't have some issues. Looking back at Legion, there was always some bad that followed the good. It's just that the good edged it out, to still make for a fun experience.

The class content and artifact weapons/mage tower were good features that still stand out to me out of most the expacs. Yeah they weren't perfect and their future iterations seem to getting worse and more diluted. But looking back to that point I thought it was a good thing to bring into WoW, if only they keep improving on this. Then BFA came...Felt like the legendary cape getting turned into the ring all over again. They somehow made it worse but I still liked the original good idea.

The class/spec identity focus sounded great on paper but I do remember that ended up being more than half disappointment. That was the most disappointing part of Legion for me. Many great and fun specs I enjoyed in WoD were redesigned to make them fit into w/e new mold they wanted to go for in Legion. Some weren't so bad, but the few really awful ones hit me the hardest.

The tier sets looked good since we last saw them and we also got a new class. I always wanted to see what a DH would be like in the game. Admittedly now that they're in the game, I don't feel as strongly about them as I did.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalisandra View Post
    I'm a pretty annoyed that they killed the weapons so dead that even new characters levelling don't have them. Also, I'm sad that I never got round to getting that skull - my lock only ever did the Afflic weapon quest, because I assumed I'd be able to go back and do all the weapons I missed later on. Silly me.
    You can still acquire all the weapons(except the Mage Tower skins) on a new character. You just have to pick up the quests in the class order hall.