Page 21 of 75 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Once you finish the story the only thing left that interests me is mount farming, but then that makes me sad because that's all I did the last 5 years I played WoW.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Why is it an issue that dungeons are part of the mix?

Not trying to be combative, I've heard several different reasons and am just curious about yours, is all.

It's not a game for everybody, that's for sure.
    I despise them, wow killed what little love i had for them and now i just cant stomach them

Stupid weeb stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Red Mage is easy, fun, and utilitarian. It can effectively heal (whereas Summoner can't really) and it can raise.

I looked at Red Mage, but it seems to be mostly melee, I literally cannot play melee at all due to disability.

Anyway - the answer to the question is that I couldn't find a class I could play, so I didn't go any further with it.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    I looked at Red Mage, but it seems to be mostly melee, I literally cannot play melee at all due to disability.

Anyway - the answer to the question is that I couldn't find a class I could play, so I didn't go any further with it.
    red mage is 90% ranged, the melee is just a 3 button finisher combo. you get the required mana, push 1, 2, 3. and thats the end of melee till mana cap again

Quote Originally Posted by Leyre View Post
    I despise them, wow killed what little love i had for them and now i just cant stomach them
    I can understand that. It's unfortunate, because if you're into story, FFXIV story is a really great experience IMO. It's not some huge amazing, groundbreaking, defy the mold type thing, but it's well executed. But if dungeons truly disgust you, it just won't work, as there are dozens that are part of the story.

With that said, starting in Shadowbringers they allow you to essentially solo the story dungeons by doing them in the "Trust" system with companions (the Scions, mainly). You still need to do the Trials (single boss encounters, like Ifrit was...if you got that far) in a group, but there are fewer of those.

Having to do the dungeons, i have no issue with the MSQ being "forced", i do have issue with dungeons being part of the mix
    You can also level up a tank doing all the random stuff (leves, hunts, sidequests etc), and then when you're in ridiculous gear just pop back to those earlier dungeons and unsynch them. (settings option in the duty finder menu - little coghwheel at top right corner). That way you can solo them. But you do need to be a bit high. I remember trying to do this for aurum vale at around 56ish in healer gear (the set for finishing the story - about ilvl 90 i think) and got whomped by the first trash pull.

I figure if youre going this route a tank would make the most sense since you can eat more messiness with your higher health pool and mitigation. No reason you couldnt do is your favorite dps class though. In fact, once you hit lvl 50 in any class you can get a samurai with i think around 150 or so gear. And if you take it to 60, then dancer comes with 180. (actually, maybe you cant access dancer on a trial?)

Its definitely the long way round, but if you love the game in general and dont mind doing a bit of grinding so you can avoid the dungeons (whilst still enjoying the world content), it might be a definite option where you can have your cake and eat it (it just means you'll be hampered by the msq roadblocks for certain things (like upgrading your class spells or moving on to the next expansion content). On the flip side though, you wont have to keep porting to the waking sands.

Swings and roundabouts. Actually, it might be a fun way to level to be honest. Everyone always suggests DO THE MSQ, SKIP EVERYTHING ELSE. Might be fun to do everything else, then come back to the msq. I never learned about the hunter/challenge logs were until late 40s. I never realised if there were little mobs with yellowy circles above their heads, i should kill them for my hunter log. I'd DEFINITELY grin and bear the dungeons though until msq 20 just for your chocobo mount. And if you can stomach it to the end of the sylph questline, you get to join a grand company and can spend time doing those quests as well.
    Last edited by ippollite; 2021-05-18 at 05:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    I can understand that. It's unfortunate, because if you're into story, FFXIV story is a really great experience IMO. It's not some huge amazing, groundbreaking, defy the mold type thing, but it's well executed. But if dungeons truly disgust you, it just won't work, as there are dozens that are part of the story.

With that said, starting in Shadowbringers they allow you to essentially solo the story dungeons by doing them in the "Trust" system with companions (the Scions, mainly). You still need to do the Trials (single boss encounters, like Ifrit was...if you got that far) in a group, but there are fewer of those.
    I just decided to put aside my hatred and do 1 of them, surprisingly it wasnt complicated (mind you i got carried lulz) but at least it was fast and without overcomplicated mechanics

Gameplay was slow and tedious. Main storyline was slow and tedious. And boring. And mandatory. I stopped playing fairly quickly as a result.

I just decided to put aside my hatred and do 1 of them, surprisingly it wasnt complicated (mind you i got carried lulz) but at least it was fast and without overcomplicated mechanics
    You might have missed my post earlier on the breakdown of them (page 20 - it also lists all the compulsory dungeons/trials):

Up to and including Haukke manor its all basic. You can afk and itll get done. And no one will even notice because theyre just barreling to the end.
    From Braflox to aurum vale, trash is your big killer. Bosses are still easy. But trash will wipe you in a few places.
    Trials usually introduce 2 or so must do/avoid mechanics. They are well telegraphed though.
    Then you hit 'end game' of ARR.
    First is the 8 man dungeons: You will be carried through this. Even if you dont want to. People are there for the poetics. They want it done as fast as possible.
    4 man dungeons can be a little trickier. But thats what your ironworks gear is for (you get this by collecting poetics and turning them in at mor dahn - an end game zone). On top of this, you can now use your full complement of skills (medica 2 instead of medica 1 and benediction for example).
    The trials are super easy. You'll be very likely carried. But its always fun to be the person who actually does the mechanics properly because you spent 4 minutes to watch a youtube video). Even if you die, you'll just be ressed by one of the healers or a red mage. It'll get done regardless.
    The Raid (crystal tower) is, to coin a phrase 'a good walk, spoiled' (by the occasional 30 second boss fight).

The atmosphere in all dungeons is super chill. I get such anxiety about group content that ive ran many of them blackout drunk (i still dont have a single memory of doing the path of whatever thing trial). I did the Aery the other day (also very drunk - i figured id just wing it). I asked what the one shot mechanic was. My group patiently told me (the healer) that if estinian dies we all die. I didnt even realise he was in the dungeon with us. Point is. This was my 100% mess up. All i had to do was top him off (i ran it sober just to see what i'd missed). Yet no one (i think) came for me. They must have been seething though :P But as far as i knew, they were just kind and helpful. There's just no pressure. Either from other players or the content. Im sure this changes at savage levels, but in the story mode. Its LFR all the way.
    Last edited by ippollite; 2021-05-18 at 05:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ippollite View Post
    The atmosphere in all dungeons is super chill. I get such anxiety about group content that ive ran many of them blackout drunk (i still dont have a single memory of doing the path of whatever thing trial). I did the Aery the other day (also very drunk - i figured id just wing it). I asked what the one shot mechanic was. My group patiently told me (the healer) that if estinian dies we all die. I didnt even realise he was in the dungeon with us. Point is. This was my 100% mess up. All i had to do was top him off (i ran it sober just to see what i'd missed). Yet no one (i think) came for me. They must have been seething though :P But as far as i knew, they were just kind and helpful. There's just no pressure. Either from other players or the content. Im sure this changes at savage levels, but in the story mode. Its LFR all the way.
    I am totally with you on the sometimes drink something to easy on the anxiety

im not a fan of weeb stuff

Gameplay is a bit slow, i REALLY hate the combat delay lag on abilities... i know it isn't really lag, that it takes a late snapshot of who was standing in it BUT if something feels like lag in a game, it's lag. period.

Also, and this is personal, but i loath the weeb art style. Half of the art style is fantastic FF art, and the other half hurts my eyeballs to look at and only appeals to pedo's and furries. Neither group i want to associate with.

If they had more "manly" archetype races to go along with the weirdo art, i could stomach it easier, and i truthfully could live with that if everything else was group.... but that combat ability delay (where you can move out and still be hit by an AOE cuz the snapshot caught you before the ability even executes?!) is a deal breaker. It has to go. If something feels like lag in a game, it's lag, and they seemingly built lag into their combat AOE system

EDIT: The story of ARR 1-50 was also subpar even for a FF title. It was one of the most boring MMORPG stories i've ever played. I know i hear it gets better with the expacs, and im sure ill get around to them since i bought them, but for someone who'd heard how wonderful the story of FF14 was.... that 1-50 story is a slog to even get through, and it's just so boring. Painfully boring.

15+ Year Old Account
    It feels, looks and sounds like a console game.
    Tried it a few times over the years but to me its just dull.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange Aeons even Death may die.

Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    Gameplay is a bit slow, i REALLY hate the combat delay lag on abilities... i know it isn't really lag, that it takes a late snapshot of who was standing in it BUT if something feels like lag in a game, it's lag. period.

Also, and this is personal, but i loath the weeb art style. Half of the art style is fantastic FF art, and the other half hurts my eyeballs to look at and only appeals to pedo's and furries. Neither group i want to associate with.

If they had more "manly" archetype races to go along with the weirdo art, i could stomach it easier, and i truthfully could live with that if everything else was group.... but that combat ability delay (where you can move out and still be hit by an AOE cuz the snapshot caught you before the ability even executes?!) is a deal breaker. It has to go. If something feels like lag in a game, it's lag, and they seemingly built lag into their combat AOE system

EDIT: The story of ARR 1-50 was also subpar even for a FF title. It was one of the most boring MMORPG stories i've ever played. I know i hear it gets better with the expacs, and im sure ill get around to them since i bought them, but for someone who'd heard how wonderful the story of FF14 was.... that 1-50 story is a slog to even get through, and it's just so boring. Painfully boring.
    Pedos and furries... good grief! Hows the weather in narnia this time of year?
    Last edited by ippollite; 2021-05-18 at 01:09 PM.

Pedos and furries... good grief! Hows the weather in narnia this time of year?
    By all means, go to reaction videos of the new male bunny race and tell me I’m wrong. I’m not

There’s a reason ff14 doesn’t have comments on on that male bunny race (lol) video

Not my fault the art style is designed to attract weirdos and creeps

EDIT: Kind of funny tho that you picked out the one line in my complaint page that i said was subjective right away. It really shouldn't have struck that big of a nerve unless...
    Last edited by justandulas; 2021-05-18 at 01:24 PM.

Could never get into the world, voiceovers, characters, and art style. Aesthetics in MMOs are a big determinant for me, and I could just never enjoy it for this reason alone unfortunately.

Yeah, "weirdos and creeps"... youre toxic as fuck. I'll eat the time out.
    Last edited by ippollite; 2021-05-18 at 01:44 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    But its always fun to be the person who actually does the mechanics properly because you spent 4 minutes to watch a youtube video.
    I feel singled out by this
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

Yeah, weirdos and creeps... youre toxic as fuck. I'll eat the time out.
    Only one of us is being Toxic as you know what, and spoiler alert, it isn't me kid.

I said i hated the art style, but that it was subjective. I suggest you look up and down this thread, i'm FAR from the only one who says the art style is a major deterrent for the game.

Feels like i struck a nerve with you though over 1 sentence in a huge list of honest complaints. I wonder why..