Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

With that hatchet buried I need to ask - Would ActiBlizz not make more money:

If they simply opened up servers for all expansions? Like given how the sub-fee is the gateway too it anyway?

TBC just launched and as we saw; it was destroyed on day 1 much like how Wrath was destroyed within 70 Hours of launch (Go figure when SK and Nihilum joined forces) So now that we call can agree that any given expansion is a joke bar whichever one had opening raid(s) that had bosses which simply was impossible to bypass without "enough" gear: Would it not be the perfect time to just slap open the doors for all previous expansions? I mean surely it would earn Blizzard money would it not? (Slight sarcasm in this paragraph - I need to say this so people dont get f***ing tilted)

I remember seeing an argument against Classic style servers be that "It would pull people away from the main game" - Which;
    A: Would be more true if there was 2 different sub fees but...
    B: Shadowlands is losing players steadily anyway now as the game is being treated as a joke. SL is rearing up to be another WoD (Only going to patch 9.2) and when compared to the pacing of BFA or especially Legion when looking back at the 2 last entries; Shadowlands is just going downhill.

Now I am not saying that "NO ONE" is enjoying Shadowlands, that is just stupid. But unless Blizzard has a MAJOR game-change plan ready for whatever expansion comes after SL: I don't see them reeling in more people.

But what if they just dropped all the past expansions? Not only would they likely gain a lot of subs back but with the past being on the same sub; people are MORE likely to at least "check out" retail than flat our ignore it.

I am certain Blizzard too knows that SL is being looked at by many as a joke and while 9.1 is looking to be... Not the worst content patch ever; it's still grossly overdue on time and in many eyes is a cause of "Too little, too late" - And while TBCs launch was nowhere near how Classic's was (Go figure...) I still don't see a world where they would "Lose out" by opening the doors for other past expansions.

And some might question: "Then what"?

Then what, what? It's pretty simply isnt it. Many clearly just wants to stay in the past and do an expansion as long as it pleases then; and if bored - They will stay on the same sub and maybe try another expansion? Maybe ever 1.5-2 years they could merge servers from all the xpacs for those that wishes to "stay" and then "re-release" fresh servers for anyone who simply wants to start the race over again?

What do you all think? Do you think Blizzard would earn more on opening all past doors? Would it maybe cost more than they would net from subs?
    The funniest jokes on MMO-Champ in order: (This signature is not calling out anyone in SPECIFIC and is thus not breaking any rules)
    1: All the moderators that does not know how to handle this webpage.
    2: Whoever set up the auto-bot that does not know the rules.
    3: The rules and guidelines themselves.
    Speaking of jokes:https://i.imgur.com/MaBzzAR.png

At some point maybe. Opening them all simultaneously would be a terrible idea though. Too much splitting of the player base. You've got technically 8 iterations of WoW before SL, a good amount of them would be literal ghost towns. Not enough people would go from quitting WoW to "hey that specific expansion is available again, time to play". The logistics behind releasing steady content phases would also be a nightmare to manage.

Will there be a classic Cata and so on? Possibly, looking years ahead in the future wherein expansion #13, Cata would probably garner some nostalgia hype. It would be through steadily timed implementations when their retail content is lacking.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    1. no that is a horrible idea

2. just because 20-30 absolute no-lifers can clear content in one day (for absolutely no reason other than to say they did it), doesn't mean a company with millions of customers should cater to those few basement dwellers.

"I don't like the current expansion so instead of quitting the fucking game like a rational, sane human being I'm going to write a 500-word blog post about what I'd do if I were Mr. Blizzard."

To address your very boring suggestion, however: Having two versions of WoW that cannibalize their audience is bad enough, let alone 8.

Won't make any sense to open unpopular expansions and to open all at once.

And people need to stop basing difficulty on a few very try hard groups of people. 99.9% of us are not like that.

Armchair devs gon' be delusional, is all I have to say.

Not once have you and others spouting the same sentiments as you been proven correct since Legion. Hell, people were saying the same things during WOTLK too.

Just quit the game if you're not enjoying it. Others clearly are, I'd suggest reading the latest Quarterly.

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post

Not once have you and others spouting the same sentiments as you been proven correct since Legion. Hell, people were saying the same things during WOTLK too.

Just quit the game if you're not enjoying it. Others clearly are, I'd suggest reading the latest Quarterly.
    I enjoyed the whole "ActiBlizz" phrasing myself. Some people really don't understand holding companies. It's one of my biggest eyeroll triggers.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    "I don't like the current expansion so instead of quitting the fucking game like a rational, sane human being I'm going to write a 500-word blog post about what I'd do if I were Mr. Blizzard."

To address your very boring suggestion, however: Having two versions of WoW that cannibalize their audience is bad enough, let alone 8.
    Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post

Firstly I would like to thank you both for the continuing trend of "people with a 10 year banner being stuck up and unable to do basic reading."

Where in the ever-loving f*** did either of you get the a**pull that I am not enjoying any of the WoW versions atm? Just where, how? I am currently leveling a Rogue and Lock on TBC (Mostly to have em in 70 for whenever they hopefully relaunch WoTLK) but I am also working up my Renown level and catching up on alts in SL.

I'm just picking up from whatever I see around me, not a single day goes without a sizable vocal bunch of the "audience" of this game saying "The game is going to shit, content updates is so slow, this is so bad, why can't you just do this" - All the while we have people saying "Why not just release X expansions, look at how much worse TBC was on re-launch compared to classic, "Insert anything, something rose-tinted here"

And my whole point here is that surely mostly everyone should be happy if they essentially flung open all doors? Yes? Those who wants to play whatever version of WoW they miss or want to try can do that. And with all the gates open; how would ActiBlizz not earn money?

In my post I say things like "Now I am not saying that "NO ONE" is enjoying Shadowlands, that is just stupid" - "I am certain Blizzard too knows that SL is being looked at by many as a joke" - And generally pointing to how apparently (If you have any connection to WoW content on Youtube) supposedly FFXIV, ESO and GW2 is "dominating WoW now" <- As if it's a recent / current thing. Not ONCE do I go "Hurr durr I personally hate Shadowlands and TBC"

I hope the two of you pick up a pair of glasses before you carry on as dear lord it's not weird that threads go to s*** when some of the first responders misses the point entirely because... I don't know why tbh. You see it as a personal attack or something... ? I legit can't tell.
    The funniest jokes on MMO-Champ in order: (This signature is not calling out anyone in SPECIFIC and is thus not breaking any rules)

Quote Originally Posted by Knight Meta View Post
    Firstly I would like to thank you both for the continuing trend of "people with a 10 year banner being stuck up and unable to do basic reading."

Where in the ever-loving f*** did either of you get the a**pull that I am not enjoying any of the WoW versions atm? Just where, how? I am currently leveling a Rogue and Lock on TBC (Mostly to have em in 70 for whenever they hopefully relaunch WoTLK) but I am also working up my Renown level and catching up on alts in SL.

I'm just picking up from whatever I see around me, not a single day goes without a sizable vocal bunch of the "audience" of this game saying "The game is going to shit, content updates is so slow, this is so bad, why can't you just do this" - All the while we have people saying "Why not just release X expansions, look at how much worse TBC was on re-launch compared to classic, "Insert anything, something rose-tinted here"

And my whole point here is that surely mostly everyone should be happy if they essentially flung open all doors? Yes? Those who wants to play whatever version of WoW they miss or want to try can do that. And with all the gates open; how would ActiBlizz not earn money?

In my post I say things like "Now I am not saying that "NO ONE" is enjoying Shadowlands, that is just stupid" - "I am certain Blizzard too knows that SL is being looked at by many as a joke" - And generally pointing to how apparently (If you have any connection to WoW content on Youtube) supposedly FFXIV, ESO and GW2 is "dominating WoW now" <- As if it's a recent / current thing. Not ONCE do I go "Hurr durr I personally hate Shadowlands and TBC"

I hope the two of you pick up a pair of glasses before you carry on as dear lord it's not weird that threads go to s*** when some of the first responders misses the point entirely because... I don't know why tbh. You see it as a personal attack or something... ? I legit can't tell.
    Well shit, if the bar to pass for a suggestion to be worthwhile is that it will make ActiBlizz money then I guess I should be making a thread where I suggest they make the subscription cost $500/month. Think of all the money ActiBlizz would make!!!

But seriously: You have no sources for any of the claims you're using to support your suggestion. You're literally making shit up. But no, I guess we're supposed to just take your word at face value and assume that you, Random Forum Poster #293-D, know better than Blizzard on how to develop their game, right? I mean, yeah, I guess it's cool that you take yourself so seriously but like I said in my first post: Your suggestion kind of sucks and doesn't really fit well with the rest of the game's current development cycle.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, probably not.

At this point the only people able to play classic servers of any expansion are people who pay for retail. While, no doubt, classic draws some extra subs, I can’t imagine it has increased them so much that it covers the cost of running what is, now, three separate games. If you just throw on another 5 versions….

Well shit, if the bar to pass for a suggestion to be worthwhile is that it will make ActiBlizz money then I guess I should be making a thread where I suggest they make the subscription cost $500/month. Think of all the money ActiBlizz would make!!!

But seriously: You have no sources for any of the claims you're using to support your suggestion. You're literally making shit up. But no, I guess we're supposed to just take your word at face value and assume that you, Random Forum Poster #293-D, know better than Blizzard on how to develop their game, right? I mean, yeah, I guess it's cool that you take yourself so seriously but like I said in my first post: Your suggestion kind of sucks and doesn't really fit well with the rest of the game's current development cycle.
    And here you go with the prime example of stuck up 10 year old member thing again.

First of all: My idèa is following the concept of keeping the sub fee the same. Which is by all means realistic as opposed to your suggestion which I know you now will defend by calling it a joke; but given how short you have been thus far, it would shock no one that you most likely were serious about it.

Also; a lack of sources? I suppose you don't even pay attention to the MMO-Champ forums then? The official forums? Discord servers? Facebook groups? Comment sections on general WoW entries like their Youtube videos and twitter posts.

Under NO sicumstance did I ever say nor imply that I "know better than Blizzard" - I simply came with a "What if" suggestion.

And the stuck up continues by your very last sentence which shows the good old classic "Allergic to change" - Who is to say that the development cycle can't be if not SHOULD be changed? As atm it's causing for much negative feedback. Not that you would know as clearly you are not spending time checking out what the community says anywhere... I would love to explain this to you but tbh I don't have the time nor crayon's to make sure you understand what you are missing.

And here you go with the prime example of stuck up 10 year old member thing again.

First of all: My idèa is following the concept of keeping the sub fee the same. Which is by all means realistic as opposed to your suggestion which I know you now will defend by calling it a joke; but given how short you have been thus far, it would shock no one that you most likely were serious about it.

Also; a lack of sources? I suppose you don't even pay attention to the MMO-Champ forums then? The official forums? Discord servers? Facebook groups? Comment sections on general WoW entries like their Youtube videos and twitter posts.

Under NO sicumstance did I ever say nor imply that I "know better than Blizzard" - I simply came with a "What if" suggestion.

And the stuck up continues by your very last sentence which shows the good old classic "Allergic to change" - Who is to say that the development cycle can't be if not SHOULD be changed? As atm it's causing for much negative feedback. Not that you would know as clearly you are not spending time checking out what the community says anywhere... I would love to explain this to you but tbh I don't have the time nor crayon's to make sure you understand what you are missing.
    People bitch on the internet about literally fucking everything. They've always bitched about literally fucking everything. Every single fucking expansion has had thousands of detractors all posting on forums, whining in Discord servers, making terrible threads on this forum complaining about shit. I don't know why you think pretending it's worse now than it's ever been in the past somehow bolsters your weak arguments. This has absolutely nothing to do with being allergic to change and everything to do with your dogshit suggestion being very poorly thought out. But hey, just keep making pointless observations about posters' badges as if that means literally fucking anything at all.

People bitch on the internet about literally fucking everything. They've always bitched about literally fucking everything. Every single fucking expansion has had thousands of detractors all posting on forums, whining in Discord servers, making terrible threads on this forum complaining about shit. I don't know why you think pretending it's worse now than it's ever been in the past somehow bolsters your weak arguments. This has absolutely nothing to do with being allergic to change and everything to do with your dogshit suggestion being very poorly thought out. But hey, just keep making pointless observations about posters' badges as if that means literally fucking anything at all.
    You speak as if Legion or MoP got anywhere near the same amount of crap that WoD got or which SL is currently getting, which in itself just proves my point.

Your entire reaction just sealed the deal too which I find lovely and funny at the same time. People like you truly live up to their full potential? Huh?

Come back when you actually have a firm grasp on what the community is actually saying rather than what you imagine it's saying.

While I can see Wrath and MoP servers doing well(wrath I think would bring the biggest # of people back imo), its too soon for legion or BFA and cata and wod would probably...not do well.

But I also don't think opening them at the same time would work. Splitting the player base even further.

You speak as if Legion or MoP got anywhere near the same amount of crap that WoD got or which SL is currently getting, which in itself just proves my point.

Your entire reaction just sealed the deal too which I find lovely and funny at the same time. People like you truly live up to their full potential? Huh?

Come back when you actually have a firm grasp on what the community is actually saying rather than what you imagine it's saying.
    Lmfao, the mythological "community" which is what, only the shit that you read and agree with? If you're dense enough to believe that people weren't complaining about shit in both Legion and MoP then I don't know what the fuck to tell you.

Lmfao, the mythological "community" which is what, only the shit that you read and agree with? If you're dense enough to believe that people weren't complaining about shit in both Legion and MoP then I don't know what the fuck to tell you.
    Just the way you phrase it makes it crystal clear that there is no hope for you. It's kind of ironic seeing your list the MMO-Champ bingo when you alone could strike out so many of the blocks.

You also again display your inability to read. Under no sircumstance did I say that people were not complaining about Legion or MoP but if you actually tok your time to pay attention and see the feedback which the games got (Something I assume a 10 year old member of this page would have done) you should easily have been able to tell back then or heck; even just LOOK UP YOURSELF today that MoP and Legion got LESS negative feedback than WoD did and SL currently is getting. Did they get no negative feedback? Absolutely not, that is a fictional setting you made up in your head to try and make me seem like the fool when in reality; I never said that.

I also can't let go of your phrasing; "Mythological community" - No wonder your kin is looked down upon when you reject the very notion of a community. It's clear that you are the one who only think it would exist within the boundaries of what you agree with as I have personally within this thread alone brought up "Both sides of a point" at least twice yet you keep behaving like only one exists.

The more and more I read trough your profile activity too it become clear that I maybe should leave you be as arguing with someone who looks up and down rather then left and right before crossing the street never really leads anywhere but... *sigh* I find you people amusing if nothing else.

If you want to keep on, fine. Be my guest, I got all day. Just know that simply because you refuse the acknowledge the existence of (Insert whatever you are ignoring here) - It does not mean said thing / topic is not real.

Biggest issue with dropping all expansion is time to implement them. If the trends keeps on going to wotlk, then cata, then Mop etc etc, eventually we will have them all.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

As someone who started in late Vanilla and played through until MoP and then stopped playing WoW altogether, I wouldn't personally want to come back and play any old expansions again, been there, done that. Nothing has really changed in the WoW model, level up, gear up, pvp/raid.

I come back every now and again to read stuff here on MMO and catch up. With the pandemic, I would assume that maybe a lot more people would come back to play the game, so not sure if that has happened. The other thing I noticed these last few months with MMO-Champion, is the lack of articles to read about WoW in general. Is the output from this site about WoW also a lot lower recently, or is that there is not a lot of news about the game at all?

This forum is basically the last safe space of retail fanatics. They are still in denial about the state of SL and think everything is rosey still and not a sinking ship.

Notice how the one quoted quarterly, and ignored that SL had lost 70% of the player base before the quarter was even reported. And that it covered the quarter prior, and even then, they openly stated classic had been propping up the weekend at bernie like corpse of retail for its entire lifetime

If it wasn’t for classic and classic tbc, WoW would be on death row now. we could be talking 10.0 as the finale of WoW itself at this rate, and may be getting that unofficially as WoW no longer represents a big enough slice of atvi to have a value say or be investment worthy.

At this point, call of duty has several titles that earn more $ than all of blizz. Wow can’t even compete with cod mobile financially stable this point, even with all the mobile game like mtx

As for your OP about 10 diff wows... while a cool idea, they don’t have the player base to split that much.

What they should do is treat 10.0 as a proper finale and scale every piece of gear and raid to max level and treat it sort of like classic with all the tiers being sorted out by like tier 1, through tier 10 and you had to work your way up. Tier 1 would be the 5-8 easy raids. All the way up to to tier 10 raids being the big D raids of WoW history.

That way, they’d have more content and gear than a player could possibly ever get and WoW would have infinitely more longevity with a more old school design system like that, but without dead content

All the brainless idiots spoutng "tbc cleared day 1" dont even realise the only thing that was cleared is a 10man raid, a single boss 25man raid and a 2 boss 25man raid. None fo the actuall proper raid instances yet.