Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivarr View Post
    What truly amazes me is how Illidan, the original edgelord, managed to stay tolerable throughout all these expansions.
    Idk, I already wanted to slap that emo dude in the face halfway into Legion. Also 1 aM mUh SKarSz... Dear Sunwell, the guy was insufferable, although at least he was offstaged more or less decently.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by The-Shan View Post
    Maybe not from Elunes point of view, maybe Tyrande has a purpose beyond that, and is held in higher regard by Elune.
    If Tyrande has such value, why grant her the Night Warrior transformation which is a death sentence in the first place?
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

Quote Originally Posted by VladlTutushkin View Post
    Night elfs throughout their history (post Azshara) were known as deeply religious and pious people, devoting much of their culture to their deity - Elune, Goddess of the Moon. However lately we start to see more and more signs of her uncaring, or even parasitic nature. It feels to me like that bond has grown extremely one-sided…

Her entire lack of care or help during their darkest hour in War of Thorns, aside from a dubious “peaceful death” granted to those stuck in the temple.

Her lack of care for their souls, which even Bwonsamdi, a relatively minor troll god could easily pull off by saving souls of his followers from the Maw.

Her “power boost” being not only unimpressive (at the start) but also downright taken away (in the last battle) at the most inopportune moment without a clear reason.

So far it feels like she cruelly toys with her followers, peak kindness of hers being a “gift” of a painless death after which your soul is plunged into the Maw.

I dont argue that Gods or Powers must always save their followers in any situation, no. But so far we have seen other “deities” in WoW achieving far more then Elune while not requring such a dogmatic following.

Then why should night elfs subject themselves to her with such fervor? There are many other powers in WoW universe that are far more reliable , reward you for devotion and generally are far better known and understood then a mysterious moon deity.

Its just comes along as a… shame. Night elfs would be better off with another deity to love and worship, they are spiritual and devote people and they deserve better then to heap praise and worship at the feet of an uncaring, aloof goddess which ignores or mocks them.
    Don't trust in sylvans words

But maybe you are right, or maybe we just don't know what's happening here

That's why it's cool if they do the right thing, even the winter queen say something like elune abandoning everyone, but if in the end she can't help because she is also in a prison type spell ? And someone else is using his power

For me Elune plot is better than jailer itself, and so many don't really care about jailer, but Elune is different if they fail here .....

Quote Originally Posted by Feanoro View Post
    Why is Elune written the way she is? Danuser and pals are clearly edgy atheists, the type who just have to push their crap onto others for validation. They have gone out of their way to remove any trace of the divine from the Warcraft setting, for example reducing the Light to an uncaring cosmic force. Elune though was set up with definite personhood, so to destroy her, they make her deliberately uncaring and aloof, rather than her previous stance of subtle/invisible intervention. Metzen could hardly be said to have been studying to be a preacher, but he at least in his works acknowledged that faith can be and is a force for good. The current crew has the usual hypocrisy of bloviating about tolerance while displaying none.
    You seem to be a little presumptive there. As much as the edgelords screeching “noooooo u can’t put religion in my vidya it’s all I have” irritate me, you are only a notch higher on the totem pole for that take. Perhaps you ought to provide evidence for your claim instead of fall to this kind of nonsensical accusation?

They’re being edgy and postmodern, but nothing indicates an anti-religious bias.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Let's pivot away from discussing real-world religion (and the equally tangential temperature argument) and return to the actual substance of the thread as concerns Elune and the Night Elven religion.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    I read an interesting theory around here that Elune is actually Danuser, hence why Elune pretends to care about the night elves, to keep them happy and loyal (and keep their players subscribed), but at the same time deeply loves Sylvanas, that's why she never does anything when Sylvanas threatens the night elves. Because she loves Sylvanas.

That's also why Elune (aka Danuser) favours women over men, prior to WoW only the Night elf women could become zealots of Elune after all.

Many believed that Nathanos was Danuser's self-insert, but it was actually Elune, who would have guessed.
    I mean, trying to rationalize Elune and the writing for Night Elves is utterly pointless. Why did she abandon Tyrande at the moment of victory? Is it because Elune sucks, or because she needs to live to be a raid boss?

Ultimately that's the issue with MMOs. The game suffers in other areas to make the multiplayer features work.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Conceptuel View Post
    Admittedly, the Night Elves have had plenty of bones thrown their way. They’ve been center-stage for Legion, and they had plenty of development in BFA. They simply made the mistake of crossing Danny’s waifu, meaning they can’t get one over.

- - - Updated - - -

DAE le woke so bad????

This has literally no connection to the discussion. We are all clowning on this ridiculous plot, not circlejerking about political nonsense.
    So its essentially worthless. Its not "throwing" a bone its dangling a bone on a string and then snatching it away again and again.

Also in Legion those were demon hunters and CC, both are outliers and not really a part of night elven society (i mean, really, CC feels like some other nation entirely by now.)

So its essentially worthless. Its not "throwing" a bone its dangling a bone on a string and then snatching it away again and again.

Also in Legion those were demon hunters and CC, both are outliers and not really a part of night elven society (i mean, really, CC feels like some other nation entirely by now.)
    Wasn't there an entire zone where Tyrande led the plot? And the entire continent built around Night Elven lore?

Lmao gems galore in here.

Speaking of ne and sl; did we ever get any explanation of wisps yet (haven’t been playing).

Wasn't there an entire zone where Tyrande led the plot? And the entire continent built around Night Elven lore?

Zone where she was presented as an idiot and it was a CC zone, she was there to save Malf... again.

Then Suramar - it was a whole clown fiesta with a bigtop and wagons where she only was present to fail in diplomacy and allow Nightborne into the Horde.

Then Suramar became Horde land, Valsharah still remains uber-neutral CC ground and Azsuna are just ghosts stuck in a time loop.

Zone where she was presented as an idiot and it was a CC zone, she was there to save Malf... again.

Then Suramar - it was a whole clown fiesta with a bigtop and wagons where she only was present to fail in diplomacy and allow Nightborne into the Horde.

Then Suramar became Horde land, Valsharah still remains uber-neutral CC ground and Azsuna are just ghosts stuck in a time loop.
    Firstly, although the zone was based around the Cenarion Circle, the Sentinels did play a role, as did the Priestesses of the Moon. Secondly, the attack on Suramar was still centered around her. Finally, even if the Night Elves lost, that doesn't mean they didn't 1. receive development and 2. take center stage.

Quite frankly, I think it's almost a fair trade for all that attention.

Firstly, although the zone was based around the Cenarion Circle, the Sentinels did play a role, as did the Priestesses of the Moon. Secondly, the attack on Suramar was still centered around her. Finally, even if the Night Elves lost, that doesn't mean they didn't 1. receive development and 2. take center stage.

Quite frankly, I think it's almost a fair trade for all that attention.
    You must have extremely perverted ideas of "fair trades" of being a constant loser who gets a lot of screentime of... losing is a good thing.

Its like saying that slaves who were torn apart by lions in ancient Rome were "privileged" to have all that attention of the crowd.

You must have extremely perverted ideas of "fair trades" of being a constant loser who gets a lot of screentime of... losing is a good thing.

Its like saying that slaves who were torn apart by lions in ancient Rome were "privileged" to have all that attention of the crowd.
    That's a rather dramatic turn of phrase.

As for the Night Elves being losers, what did you expect? They're an ancient, stagnating government which has been limited to a single tree for some time and has some of the most incompetent leadership in Azeroth consistently. I mean, it's not as though them getting screwed over is anything new. Their society innately lacks any kind of dynamicism.

That's a rather dramatic turn of phrase.

As for the Night Elves being losers, what did you expect? They're an ancient, stagnating government which has been limited to a single tree for some time and has some of the most incompetent leadership in Azeroth consistently. I mean, it's not as though them getting screwed over is anything new. Their society innately lacks any kind of dynamicism.
    90% of races in WoW have flaws that would make their societies/nations fall apart in 5-10 years or less.

Dont bring that up, because its purely a "lovechild" of writers fiat and personal preferences.

Same as army sizes, population and money in WoW.

Saying that "you should just accept being a loser" is fucked on several levels and it will inevitably lead to shit slinging match.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivarr View Post
    What truly amazes me is how Illidan, the original edgelord, managed to stay tolerable throughout all these expansions.
    Does it truly amaze you?

Night elfs throughout their history (post Azshara) were known as deeply religious and pious people, devoting much of their culture to their deity - Elune, Goddess of the Moon. However lately we start to see more and more signs of her uncaring, or even parasitic nature. It feels to me like that bond has grown extremely one-sided…

Her entire lack of care or help during their darkest hour in War of Thorns, aside from a dubious “peaceful death” granted to those stuck in the temple.

Her lack of care for their souls, which even Bwonsamdi, a relatively minor troll god could easily pull off by saving souls of his followers from the Maw.

Her “power boost” being not only unimpressive (at the start) but also downright taken away (in the last battle) at the most inopportune moment without a clear reason.

So far it feels like she cruelly toys with her followers, peak kindness of hers being a “gift” of a painless death after which your soul is plunged into the Maw.

I dont argue that Gods or Powers must always save their followers in any situation, no. But so far we have seen other “deities” in WoW achieving far more then Elune while not requring such a dogmatic following.

Then why should night elfs subject themselves to her with such fervor? There are many other powers in WoW universe that are far more reliable , reward you for devotion and generally are far better known and understood then a mysterious moon deity.

Its just comes along as a… shame. Night elfs would be better off with another deity to love and worship, they are spiritual and devote people and they deserve better then to heap praise and worship at the feet of an uncaring, aloof goddess which ignores or mocks them.
    I think, Elune might be in trouble
    she maybe is fighting in some huge scale cosmic fight or is captured somewhere or drained.
    and from time to time tries help her followers

she seems powerful and old enough to be known on lots of planets.
    and makes no sense not helping properly her followers when they need her most
    if gives peaceful death why doesnot try avoid it
    if gives super powers why arenot these powers more constant

and so on

10+ Year Old Account
    I must say that I like the title, getting a better deal at walmart, can be said for real-life religion too. Imagine a christian in prayer: "Jesus, walmart is giving a great discout on that thing I always pray to you about. So how far are you on that? You know, walmart is offering a great deal!"

HAHAHAHAHA!
    Warcraft 3 Reign of Chaos was the game that brought me into gaming. I was 17 years old then, I abhorred gaming before this game. From then on, I became a fan of Warcraft and Blizzard. To see it all go down the drain like this is truly sad for me. No king rules forever but at least some of them went down in history as real badasses. I hoped Blizzard and Warcraft would be one of them but it is no longer possible.

Quote Originally Posted by BrintoSFJ View Post
    I must say that I like the title, getting a better deal at walmart, can be said for real-life religion too. Imagine a christian in prayer: "Jesus, walmart is giving a great discout on that thing I always pray to you about. So how far are you on that? You know, walmart is offering a great deal!"

HAHAHAHAHA!
    I mean, I get that edgy religion-bashing by people whose knowledge of theology, philosophy, or even science are positively minimal is in vogue now, but that doesn't even make sense. When does that ever happen?

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean, I get that edgy religion-bashing by people whose knowledge of theology, philosophy, or even science are positively minimal is in vogue now, but that doesn't even make sense. When does that ever happen?
    I know that not understanding joke and being offended at every single thing is in the vogue now but just for once, can people try to get their heads out of their butts?
    Warcraft 3 Reign of Chaos was the game that brought me into gaming. I was 17 years old then, I abhorred gaming before this game. From then on, I became a fan of Warcraft and Blizzard. To see it all go down the drain like this is truly sad for me. No king rules forever but at least some of them went down in history as real badasses. I hoped Blizzard and Warcraft would be one of them but it is no longer possible.

Quote Originally Posted by BrintoSFJ View Post
    I know that not understanding joke and being offended at every single thing is in the vogue now but just for once, can people try to get their heads out of their butts?
    The issue is that jokes are meant to reflect reality in some way, thus the comedy. I suppose there's absurdism, but when you connect it to something in reality, you ought to associate with something that makes any kind of sense.