Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I chuckle every time someone compares joining a guild to raid with having a part time job.

It’s not a part time job. It’s a realization of the hours you’re available to play, and finding a group of people with similar availability. If that tricks your brain into making it feel like a chore, that’s your problem lol

Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    Step 1: start a group yourself to raid the latest tier of the expansion at the level most casual guilds currently progress at (e.g. heroic when most of them are still stuck at the last boss of heroic)
    Step 2: do not stress that much that you haven't killed a single boss because most of them have no clue it doesn't matter (in fact it matters more if you are good at making good groups)
    Step 3: require all of them to have better progress than you; if you can get all of them to have killed all bosses is ideal; the raid bosses will die on autopilot
    that's indeed fine advise for the time casual guilds are stuck on the last heroic boss.

it's horrible advise for the ~2 months prior to that, aka right now.

- - - Updated - - -

Way too much waste of time. You have to also login at specific times like it's a job.
    It works if you love those people but if you don't it's just a chore.
    if your goal is to be around a casual guilds progress timetable, there are hundreds of guilds available to you that don't care about your attendance percentage.

those guilds tend to have a small core and then the rest just comes and goes as they feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellobolis View Post
    that's indeed fine advise for the time casual guilds are stuck on the last heroic boss.

it's horrible advise for the ~2 months prior to that, aka right now.

- - - Updated - - -

if your goal is to be around a casual guilds progress timetable, there are hundreds of guilds available to you that don't care about your attendance percentage.

those guilds tend to have a small core and then the rest just comes and goes as they feel.
    No. The heroic mention was clearly only an example; it depends on where the casuals are stuck now; if they are stuck at the final normal then pugging can only do that relatively fast.

And no: it's definitely not easier to go and find a usual casual guild or at least not automatically: a lot of us know that ~80% of guilds are horrible at accepting wiping for instance.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nachtigal View Post
    I chuckle every time someone compares joining a guild to raid with having a part time job.

It’s not a part time job. It’s a realization of the hours you’re available to play, and finding a group of people with similar availability. If that tricks your brain into making it feel like a chore, that’s your problem lol
    You can personally attack people as "stupid" all you want, but a lot of us know that's it's OBJECTIVELY a part time job. You have to be online at a specific time and do specific tasks that are clearly NOT fun to us to be done at that specific time and at that specific order a guild requires (and if you claim that's "stupid" then someone else is at fault here at not realizing not all people are alike).

Quote Originally Posted by facefist View Post
    How is my definition OBJECTIVELY wrong? I think you have no idea what the definition of casual is. Try googling it and then tell me why you cannot be casual while clearing everything with 1 day/week raiding.

You can be casual and good or casual and bad. In both cases you play casually but the skill difference leads into a different outcome. Outcome doesnt determine whether something is some casually or not, which seems to be how you understand this. So you are OBJECTIVELY wrong.
    the word casual in wow usualy means different things for different people,if you clear mythic in 1 day,you are in most peoples book in no way casual,that takes more skill than 99% of the playerbase

Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    the word casual in wow usualy means different things for different people,if you clear mythic in 1 day,you are in most peoples book in no way casual,that takes more skill than 99% of the playerbase
    How we define it is unimportant anyway since we can clarify before a discussion starts what we mean so we make sense when we talk. I believe in the OP by saying "e.g. when the are stuck at heroic" I definitely didn't mean the hard cores at the top 200 guilds (or better) (even if they may be stuck at normal at the very start).

Though to speak frankly: if we needed a general agreement it's kinda excessive to call casual anyone that clears mythic at the patch it was released; even if those people claim they don't play much: they usually play much when the guild isn't raiding whatever they say because they need all those subsystems to be relatively optimal in order to down the hardest boss the game offers at that point in time (prepatches excluded of course).

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nachtigal View Post

I mean, it kind of is. You're scheduling time to do what is basically like work. In order to get in most guilds you often need:

Resume: Also known as a guild application
    References: What guilds have you been in before?
    Work History: What's your progression/Parses?

If you mess up enough, you're scrutinized and reviewed for potential g-kick, or benching. (Termination/Fired/Suspension)

It has quite a lot in common with a job, if you pay close enough attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Advent View Post
    I mean, it kind of is. You're scheduling time to do what is basically like work. In order to get in most guilds you often need:

If you mess up enough, you're scrutinized and reviewed for potential g-kick, or benching. (Termination/Fired/Suspension)

Yes and: it's not even necessarily a bad thing. People can use raiding (and especially high-end raiding) as a means to polish their skills at raid(/team) leading or being good at a job or even being good/better at social skills (since a lot of people on online gaming don't even have friends in real life).

But some us just don't need that or don't have time for that or don't want it so it's perfectly normal and expected to see people that want to use methods like the one I describe in the OP because you can do hard(er) parts of the game but by keeping the "job" part to the minimum.

And no: it's definitely not easier to go and find a usual casual guild or at least not automatically: a lot of us know that ~80% of guilds are horrible at accepting wiping for instance.
    and pugs are accepting of wiping?

i personally had an easier time turning a normal guild into a heroic guild when i leveled my other-faction character than i had getting into pugs intentionally not using things like raider.io/curve to simulate a fresh start.

i personally had an easier time turning a normal guild into a heroic guild when i leveled my other-faction character than i had getting into pugs intentionally not using things like raider.io/curve to simulate a fresh start.
    Of course they're not better at accepting wiping and they are clearly worse for it. The point was to get players that have already done it or they have almost done it which makes it extremely easy if the raid leader knows what they're doing (especially if the leader has already done the instance or almost).

Besides: if that wasn't true then pugging this way would be able to do even mythic; the main reason this method can't do mythic AT ALL (maybe with the exception of pre-patch periods) is that nobody at pugging can accept wiping more than a few times.

If you need all that to join a casual guild, you're not casual....

Quote Originally Posted by 8bithamster View Post
    If you need all that to join a casual guild, you're not casual....
    Tell that to those in this thread calling themselves casual because they only raid 1 day a week ...but they clear mythic on current tier.
    Besides: even if you're not at that level: it's still a job. They will tell you to "punch your card" at specific times and do your job well.

Tell that to those in this thread calling themselves casual because they only raid 1 day a week ...but they clear mythic on current tier.
    Besides: even if you're not at that level: it's still a job. They will tell you to "punch your card" at specific times and do your job well.
    Have you ever had a semi-serious hobby (e.g. Football or other group sport in a decent team)? No one calls those jobs either even though they also pretty much fit your description. A hobby is a hobby even if it requires a certain level of seriousness. Following a certain schedule just means you do things with other people, but I understand it feels like a job if you are used to hobbies that are done alone.
    Last edited by facefist; 2021-07-11 at 10:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by facefist View Post
    Have you ever had a semi-serious hobby (e.g. Football or other group sport in a decent team)? No one calls those jobs either even though they also pretty much fit your description. A hobby is a hobby even if it requires a certain level of seriousness. Following a certain schedule just means you do things with other people, but I understand it feels like a job if you are used to hobbies that are done alone.
    That's just a discussion of semantics though. It's fine not calling them a job if we decide they're not a job before a discussion starts. It's implied though here that if a hobby becomes so "hard core" in terms of time and commitment and schedule then it can be an irritant and not worth it for a lot of people.

That's a good question, tbh if you can join a guild that has alt runs or a casual secondary team that's the easiest way to get stuff done.

Every time I tried pugging it's always people coming leaving coming leaving and everything takes ages because after every wipe or kill, no matter, someone leaves and you have to refill the group. What a casual / alt run group can clear in 4 hours, takes 8-10 hours in a pug. If you can't sit so many hours straight (you're a casual after all, not all-day-play nolifer), then you have a problem making groups or joining ones when you're midway the raid.

People eagerly join fresh runs (early easy bosses are loot pinatas) or runs on last boss (to get curve, best drops, etc.), but if you're stuck on boss 6/10 or something it's a pita to find people. Especially if that boss happens to be some annoying pug wiper.
    Last edited by Marrilaife; 2021-07-11 at 10:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marrilaife View Post
    That's a good question, tbh if you can join a guild that has alt runs or a casual secondary team that's the easiest way to get stuff done.

Every time I tried pugging it's always people coming leaving coming leaving and everything takes ages because after every wipe or kill, no matter, someone leaves and you have to refill the group. What a casual / alt run group can clear in 4 hours, takes 8-10 hours in a pug. If you can't sit so many hours straight (you're a casual after all, not all-day-play nolifer), then you have a problem making groups or joining ones when you're midway the raid.

People eagerly join fresh runs (early easy bosses are loot pinatas) or runs on last boss (to get curve, best drops, etc.), but if you're stuck on boss 6/10 or something it's a pita to find people. Especially if that boss happens to be some annoying pug wiper.
    If you're in a guild with extremely successful alt runs then you're not that casual either. But besides what label we put it on: in order to be in that guild in the first place it either means rare luck for most casuals or you took the WoW hobby too seriously to begin with.

The method I describe in the OP is mainly for people that want to do up to heroic when the top ~1000(or worse) haven't finished mythic yet; it is definitely not for mythic clears or anything like that; if they are in a guild with great alt runs it's a higher level.

If you're in a guild with extremely successful alt runs then you're not that casual either. But besides what label we put it on: in order to be in that guild in the first place it either means rare luck for most casuals or you took the WoW hobby too seriously to begin with.
    rare luck not required. if you actively try to get into a mythic guild as social it's not that hard to achieve.

takes some effort if you are a complete newbie to the game, but if you have build up a friendslist over the years chances are you are already friends or friends of friends with someone who can help you out.

pretty symbiotic too, the socials keep heroic runs in out guild going once raider interest drops down, so if you ever want to gear an alt you can be pretty sure thers always 15-25 people to help you out.

bit harder since boost communities became a thing though, as a lot of the good characters who used to help out on social heroic raids now prefer to get gold for their loot eligibility instead.
    Last edited by Hellobolis; 2021-07-11 at 11:25 AM.

You may hate me me exposing the truth, but the method works. You may not join that raid but others will and the bosses will die and that means a solo player can easily beat a casual raiding guild without the drama and without spending all that time and without even caring when to login during a day.
    In my experience there is more drama and MUCH more time waste in pugging.

Joining a guild, making friends, playing with people on your own skill level - thats where the fun in wow is at.

Dont be a pug sheep

rare luck not required. if you actively try to get into a mythic guild as social it's not that hard to achieve.

takes some effort if you are a complete newbie to the game, but if you have build up a friendslist over the years chances are you are already friends or friends of friends with someone who can help you out.

pretty symbiotic too, the socials keep heroic runs in out guild going once raider interest drops down, so if you ever want to gear an alt you can be pretty sure thers always 15-25 people to help you out.

bit harder since boost communities became a thing though, as a lot of the good characters who used to help out on social heroic raids now prefer to get gold for their loot eligibility instead.
    That "if you have built a friendship over the years" is what kills it for 80%+ of gamers. Because this is about all gamers and not just a tight group of players that plays non-stop for years without unsubbing.

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicPeon View Post
    In my experience there is more drama and MUCH more time waste in pugging.

Joining a guild, making friends, playing with people on your own skill level - thats where the fun in wow is at.

Dont be a pug sheep
    You misunderstood the nature of this post; it can't work with wiping (after a point); this is strictly for groups that can do up to current heroic with players that have already done it or almost done it so wiping and whining and drama is very limited (or when it happens it disbands soon anyway).

That "if you have built a friendship over the years" is what kills it for 80%+ of gamers. Because this is about all gamers and not just a tight group of players that plays non-stop for years without unsubbing.
    you are actually friends with everybody on your friendlist? impressive.

Step 1: start a group yourself to raid the latest tier of the expansion at the level most casual guilds currently progress at (e.g. heroic when most of them are still stuck at the last boss of heroic)
    Step 2: do not stress that much that you haven't killed a single boss because most of them have no clue it doesn't matter (in fact it matters more if you are good at making good groups)
    Step 3: require all of them to have better progress than you; if you can get all of them to have killed all bosses is ideal; the raid bosses will die on autopilot
    If all you do is pug and you are not skilled enough then all you will do is clear casual hc content and maybe a few easy mythic bosses, for raiders the whole game is about clearing CE content or progressing as much as possible.

Good players wont even join your group if you dont have some decent raiding exp or at least some high mythic plus runs. A pug will not last long if you constantly wipe.

Easiest way to at least clear current hc tier is join a streamer, if you have decent gear and can learn you would clear it before the average casual guild.
    Last edited by kenn9530; 2021-07-11 at 05:46 PM.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen