Page 1 of 18
... LastLast

The Steam Deck - a Switch competitor coming in december 2021

https://www.steamdeck.com/en/

Introducing Steam Deck™, starting at 419€.
    Starts shipping December 2021.

Processor:
    AMD APU
    CPU: Zen 2 4c/8t, 2.4-3.5GHz (up to 448 GFlops FP32)
    GPU: 8 RDNA 2 CUs, 1.0-1.6GHz (up to 1.6 TFlops FP32)
    APU power: 4-15W

Ram:
    16 GB LPDDR5 RAM (5500 MT/s)

Storage:
    64 GB eMMC (PCIe Gen 2 x1)
    256 GB NVMe SSD (PCIe Gen 3 x4)
    512 GB high-speed NVMe SSD (PCIe Gen 3 x4)
    All models include high-speed microSD card slot

Resolution
    1280 x 800px (16:10 aspect ratio)
    Type
    Optically bonded LCD for enhanced readability
    Display size
    7" diagonal
    Brightness
    400 nits typical
    Refresh rate
    60Hz
    Touch enabled
    Yes
    Sensors
    Ambient light sensor

More specs: https://www.steamdeck.com/en/tech

--------------------------

Looks good, like a mini pc - competitor for the switch, that you can use docked with a big screen, keyboard and mouse if you wanted to.
    And yes you can install windows on it as well.

"Competitor for the Switch"? Not really. People could already connect their PC to their TVs (via a cable or streaming) and play their games on the big screen if they wanted. If they wanted to play on the go then they could stream their PC to their phone. And most people who buy the Switch aren't buying for the dual functionality; they're buying for access to the current library of Nintendo games (Switch emulators require huge processing power to run at a decent framerate, which means even more expensive hardware... which is conspicuously scarce ATM).

This will just be another Steam Box: a highly niche product that will sell to the people who actively seek it out, but it's not going to seriously threaten the Switch.

Highly looking forward to it and I hope it push's Nintendo to actually release a Switch Pro/2 sometime in the near future.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

"Switch competitor"

lol.

Beyond niche product vs a massively in demand item. The copium is strong in this one.

Welp this will solve my want for a gaming laptop. As long as it runs the game's decently I'm most likely getting one.

This looks cool for sure. I wonder how well it will handle MMOs available on Steam like ESO and SWTOR.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Highly looking forward to it and I hope it push's Nintendo to actually release a Switch Pro/2 sometime in the near future.
    their new OLED model is their Switch 2. not more power, just prettier unfortunately. it will be another 4-5 years before they release an actual new console me thinks.

i would really appreciate this hand unit, or any hand unit for that matter, if a product existed like a set of glasses that could be used as a monitor that were smaller and far less bulky than VR headsets. like google glass with a more vibrant display. that would make mobile gaming far more appealing. small screens suck. i cant get into phone games or even tablet games because of it.
    Last edited by Djaye; 2021-07-15 at 07:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    "Switch competitor"

lol.

Beyond niche product vs a massively in demand item. The copium is strong in this one.
    The switch is a niche product too man...so yea it's a switch competitor as it's form factor and overall function as a handheld or connection to a tv is exactly the same...nintendo has it's games...steamdeck has your steam library...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Djaye View Post
    their new OLED model is their Switch 2. not more power, just prettier unfortunately. it will be another 4-5 years before they release an actual new console me thinks.
    it's weird that they released an OLED version without increasing the specs though. At least imo.

I don't think anyone is really competing with Nintendo because Nintendo isn't actually competition at this point. The Switch isn't pulling at PC, PS, or XBox customers...they've got their own demofraphic and they cater to it pretty hard.

The two issues I have right now are weight and ergonomics. It's a lot heavier than the Switch, and the stick and button placement are not exactly well distributed. Granted I could be wrong and will happily admit to it once I get a chance to hold one, but it seems like this is going to be pretty uncomfortable to hold for extended gaming periods.

Quote Originally Posted by RuneDK View Post

it's weird that they released an OLED version without increasing the specs though. At least imo.
    weird and lazy. they must know the demand is there.

so yea it's a switch competitor
    In Gabe's imagination maybe.

Yeah, not sure about this one for me.

First, ergonomics. The sticks aren't very well placed and it's definitely much heavier than a Switch, whose portability is already not ideal. And I bet a lot of PC games won't play that well with the control scheme in the first place.

Second, they say it can play games well, but that'll heavily depend on the games if I'm looking at the specs right. The GPU doesn't seem that solid to me, obviously it's rendering at sub 1080p so you hardly need a 3080 in there but still.

Third, storage. Less of an issue for the Switch thanks to cartridges, but here you have to fork over a lot more than 400$ for your storage to accommodate more than a couple games. For small indies it'll be fine, less so for bigger games.

Plus, someone correct me if I'm wrong because I may be, isn't SteamOS based on Linux? And doesn't Linux not play nice with a lot of Steam games? Yeah you can install Windows apparently but that seems an extra annoyance and prone to perhaps causing more issues, especially early on.

All that said, I doubt Valve sees it as anywhere near a Switch competitor, it's just another product of theirs targeted more at enthusiasts and perhaps some of the mobile crowd.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

The switch is a niche product too man...so yea it's a switch competitor as it's form factor and overall function as a handheld or connection to a tv is exactly the same...nintendo has it's games...steamdeck has your steam library...
    Being one of the best selling consoles currently on the market hardly qualifies as being niche.

Weve had tonnes of of "switch competitors" like GDPs various models, the aya neo etc. And they never posed any real threat because they tend to be expensive, have questionable thermals and battery life tends to be an issue. And things like docking etc. Tends to be something they upsell rather than included. So you often end up spending north of 150-200eur, if not more on the baseline compared to a switch to get an equivalent "handheld gaming pc".

As far as steam library vs. Nintendo titles, then nintendo titles have been historically known for being system sellers.

The steamdeck have valve behind it, so itll definitely sell, but starting at 419, with the dock being an upsell, then i cant see it being a big competitor for the switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    I don't think anyone is really competing with Nintendo because Nintendo isn't actually competition at this point. The Switch isn't pulling at PC, PS, or XBox customers...they've got their own demofraphic and they cater to it pretty hard.
    This is very false.

Gamers have a finite amount of time to game, Nintendo,Sony, MS ect... are all competition to get access to that time. Anyone who thinks that Nintendo isn't in competition with other platforms is foolish.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    We are in the middle of a microchip shortage
    and yet we got other platforms making other products. Yes there is a shortage, but shortage doesn't mean there isn't any.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    This is very false.

Gamers have a finite amount of time to game, Nintendo,Sony, MS ect... are all competition to get access to that time. Anyone who thinks that Nintendo isn't in competition with other platforms is foolish.
    Nintendo isn't catering to the same demographic as Xbox, PS, and Steam. They've targetted their own demo and the service it well....but they don't puill people away fromt he other systems.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hope this doesn't suddenly lead to Steam Link being discontinued to encourage sales, I like to use that feature sometimes. I'm sure it'll find a niche of an audience but I don't expect it to really become a 'competitive console' or something like that as comes off as something that adds further access and value to your Steam Library rather than it's own platform.
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

Quote Originally Posted by freezion View Post
    Being one of the best selling consoles currently on the market hardly qualifies as being niche.

Weve had tonnes of of "switch competitors" like GDPs various models, the aya neo etc. And they never posed any real threat because they tend to be expensive, have questionable thermals and battery life tends to be an issue. And things like docking etc. Tends to be something they upsell rather than included. So you often end up spending north of 150-200eur, if not more on the baseline compared to a switch to get an equivalent "handheld gaming pc".

As far as steam library vs. Nintendo titles, then nintendo titles have been historically known for being system sellers.

The steamdeck have valve behind it, so itll definitely sell, but starting at 419, with the dock being an upsell, then i cant see it being a big competitor for the switch.
    you do realize that just because it's has really good sales doesn't mean it isn't a niche product right? The scrub daddy has sales at an exceptional level...it's still a niche product...sales numbers do not mean it isn't a niche...

I do agree that the dock being an upsell is...disappointing...but realistically more people will buy this for having their PC library on the go than to hook up to their TV. The steam library has plenty of system sellers that are significantly better than any nintendo game I've played...so comparing games and saying nintendo has system sellers is really a moot point since both will have games that push the platform.

Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    And there is a shortage of those other products?
    Yes and once again it doesn't mean it can't get made...

10+ Year Old Account
    I’m not convinced this will be any sort of huge success, especially not compared to the Switch.

Valve doesn’t have the sort of exclusive software output to drive hardware sales that Nintendo does, and that’s a major hurdle.