Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

I want to know who thought it's fun to be on foot for 6 months until you can mount.

I guess in the next expansion he'll want players to crawl for 6 months until they can walk. He has fully deciphered what makes people have fun; deprivation; deprive people of fun things you can do in the game and they're gonna love the game even more! /s

it was stupid, but at least the twisting corridor mount came reasonably quick.

i'm more annoyed by how limited flying is. can't fly in oribos and can't fly between/to the zones. (though on the flipside they didn't add any new currency/reward to emmisaries so there is also less reason than ever to go to the old zones.)

10+ Year Old Account
    I honestly have no idea what this thread is about.
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Hellobolis View Post

i'm more annoyed by how limited flying is. can't fly in oribos and can't fly between/to the zones. (though on the flipside they didn't add any new currency/reward to emmisaries so there is also less reason than ever to go to the old zones.)
    Pretty sure one of the main reasons is that the server infrastructure is at it's limit with all the zones in the game. Making them separated like instances reduces the stress on the server cluster(s). Game is a bloated mess with dead zones (nobody uses them) all over the place, that's the price such an old game pays.

Playing Classic (both Vanilla and TBC) I have not even once experienced a single network lag. Retail on the other hand... often during world bosses, during invasions. The game (retail) has a massive problem with all it's phasing and hundreds of zones.
    Last edited by Qnubi; 2021-07-17 at 09:01 AM.

Big True. Burning Crusade and Wrath allowed you to fly right when you hit 70 and 77 (Storm Peaks). I don’t know why Blizzard ever deviated away from that. I think their reasoning was something like immersion with the world, and it makes zones artificially feel bigger.

A developer who enjoyed vanilla only for the raiding tries to develop a raid focused game, the community pushes back saying that's not what they enjoyed.

That developer is now fumbling in the dark trying to recapture what made vanilla great without actually understanding it themselves. "Travel was slower in vannila, that must surely have been what made it great right?"

i was only on-foot for 2 months.. because thats when i unsubbed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo of Soul View Post
    That developer is now fumbling in the dark trying to recapture what made vanilla great without actually understanding it themselves.
    A clue: 60 levels of accessible fresh content. We could have all of that again if we were willing to wait four or five years between expansions. Game would die in the meantime most likely but that's not a real concern in a thought experiment. Based on scale alone it's patently ridiculous to compare expansions to MMO launch content.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    They wanted to do something, but that something probably did not play out.

IMO, it's ok to experiment, because they occasionally do discover good stuff that they keep around in their bag of tricks for reuse later.

Didn't you know? The art design in WoW is great. It gets them good reviews cause launch commercial reviews just do the leveling and a bit of the raid and dungeons.

They look good right? You will look at them till your eyes bleed cause the art designers are gods at blizzard and they will make everyone look at their portfolio every day you play the game for a year, now reduced to 8 months. Aren't they generous?

Because in current Blizzard it's not what the game can do for you, but what you can do for the game.
    Fun is a distant concept. They want you to tell everyone how pretty it looks so more fools will give them money.

There is zero practical reason for it. It's annoying and arrogant for it to not be there at launch. Even if it requires an achievement or a short grind.
    Last edited by Swnem; 2021-07-17 at 10:52 AM.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    During Classic (Vanilla) launch they saw people enjoying empty world with barebones quests, no mount and annoying world, so they decided to try it in retail for just one zone. Kinda embarassing for devs they didn't know how nostalgia works and it's not like people will suddenly like old design in modern game.

Quote Originally Posted by Asrialol View Post
    I honestly have no idea what this thread is about.
    Just another back n forth in the endless "Flying ruined WoW/ WoW ruined flying" debates.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    I guess in the next expansion he'll want players to crawl for 6 months until they can walk. He has fully deciphered what makes people have fun; deprivation; deprive people of fun things you can do in the game and they're gonna love the game even more! /s

And what are you going to do? Make another thread about it? Type up a strong worded email to your local Blizzard GM? Complain and whine about it incessantly on MMO-C because you have nothing else to do?Give me a fucking break.

If all you can muster is annoyance and disdain for something you consistently play - and post about on this website - then find better things to post about. There's no "discussion" to be had when all you do pointless threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellobolis View Post

The reason flying is not allowed earlier is usually because they simply have not finished the world and it would become very obvious from the air.

If you're talking about the Maw you can mount pretty easily early on by either getting lucky or just playing through Twisting Corridors. I was able to mount less than 2 months after the expansion started.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

I enjoy the play the game -> get flying model.

The Maw wasn't meant to be an ordinary zone. It was meant for the thrill seekers. Constant danger, a highly hostile place. Something for the masochists to sink their teeth into. Didn't pan out as intended, but the lack of mounting isn't the reason why. Mounting offers a form of safety and it made sense to take it away.

Biggest mistake was to make players enter the zone from the same spot. Combine that with not being able to mount and it meant players were always forced to traverse the same two routes into the rest of The Maw.

I'd love to see Blizzard keep attempting to get a truly hostile zone into the game. One condition would be to plunge players into random locations when they enter so it truly has a survival feeling.

I'm constantly amazed at the people that hate this game so much, go out of their way to bitch about things that no longer matter, but just won't quit the damn game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivarr View Post
    I'd love to see Blizzard keep attempting to get a truly hostile zone into the game. One condition would be to plunge players into random locations when they enter so it truly has a survival feeling.
    This just does not play out for stuff you have to do daily. And frankly being mythic raider and all, I certainly don't want to have to go through slog like Maw every day just to be optimal.

IMO, if they would go for some super uber hostile toxic place, it also should be completely and totally optional one for vanity/convenience only. Transmogs, toys, mounts, expansion benefits (like secret travel points unlocks), heck maybe even early flying unlock as ultimate reward or such.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo of Soul View Post
    A developer who enjoyed vanilla only for the raiding tries to develop a raid focused game, the community pushes back saying that's not what they enjoyed.

That developer is now fumbling in the dark trying to recapture what made vanilla great without actually understanding it themselves. "Travel was slower in vannila, that must surely have been what made it great right?"
    wouldn't want to ruin your headcanon of ion=bad, but WoD started the no-flying model, during which (and during its entire development beforehand) Tom Chilton and Alex Afrasiabi were the game directors.