Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I don't think we'll be revisiting Azeroth any time soon. Seems like after Shadowlands we'll be heading into another plane of existence.

I'd like to see a time skip. But i doubt that would happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Terrorthatflapsinthenight View Post
    For characters that are Smug snakes to stop being treated as if they were so brillant and dangerous with them not being so intelligent after all and having many glaring flaws in their plans and methods, yet constantly winning or getting away scott free for too long, such as it was for Garrosh, Sylvanas and Nathanos Blightcaller. This is like saying that Cersei Lannister is the main player and threat in Westeros in ASOIAF, which is exactly what the directors and writers of GOT tried to make us believe in the last seasons of the adaptation series.

It's especially glaring in Sylvanas' case due to how easy it was for Varimathras and the Jailer to play her like a fiddle.

What the story needs is true chessmasters and magnificent bastards.
    Go see my Sylvanas vs Tyrande fanfic. Maybe you would find it satisfying

Northrend, the Broken Isles, Pandaria and other islands/territories should have been affected by the cataclysm too with the adventurers and factions discovering traces and records of disasters that happened here during the cataclysm such as terrible storms, floods, droughts, volcanic eruptions, earthquakes, landslides, etc...

I want more of Tazavesh - just you and one NPC, doing stuff in the world, investigating and being a part of an already existing story. The fate of the world is not at stake, we are there to stop and prevent something bad but not cataclysmic.

I kind of want to see some void elf stuff. i feel like void elves may end up being the victim of not doing "anything" of value in the story and that will make them pointless. Kind of like in professional wrestling: you debut a new character with glitz and glamour, has a good look and is supposed to be thematically cool..... but they don't do anything.

they just.....exist. You can't take them seriously or be excited for them since they don't really do much

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shin0mura View Post
    I kind of want to see some void elf stuff. i feel like void elves may end up being the victim of not doing "anything" of value in the story and that will make them pointless. Kind of like in professional wrestling: you debut a new character with glitz and glamour, has a good look and is supposed to be thematically cool..... but they don't do anything.

they just.....exist. You can't take them seriously or be excited for them since they don't really do much
    While I really dig the void elf aesthetics (Telogrus Rift is a veritable gem in the dirt in that regard), I still think that velfs are pretty much SoL overall, chiefly for two reasons:

1) they are heavily linked to the very Lovecraftian Old Gods, and as BfA showed, the current team SUCKS at reflecting Lovecraftian stuff in-game besides visuals;

2) velfs suck from a conceptual PoV. For starters, why is the study of the Void reserved to Thalassian elves only? And why exactly are they led by Alleria? Her new background from the end of Legion looks too Sue-ish to me, which is compounded by the fact that no one among dem blueberry elves seems to suffer any drawback from gulping all of dat grape juice. After all, the background of another "edgy" race such as Worgen shows clearly what happens with feral Worgen. Ditto for the DH intro zone, where you see one of them literally exploding because the poor lad can't control the overflowing Fel energy. Even the starting zone of belfs shows what happened to those who couldn't handle their thirst for magic (during BC, anyway). But velfs? Nothing, they wield void powers as easily as other folks tie their shoelaces. Because mUh 1337 L0cuS w4Lk3r, of course.
    Last edited by Soon-TM; 2021-07-24 at 05:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

See more realistic internal tensions and distrusts in the story.

For example even if they have proved their gentleness and good intentions to those who have spent with them, there should be still ignorants in the Alliance who distrust and fear Draenei for their appearance and being of the same species than the Eredars of the Burning Legion. Similarly some may be afraid of Worgens because of their curse and werewolf appearance when transformed. We could also see clashes between NE and Bronzebeard and Dark Iron dwarves, and gnomes, and the dark iron being rightfully distrusted by the rest of the Alliance races.

On the Horde side we should see more real tensions between the members of the Horde of Kalimdor and the Forsaken other than Garrosh showing his disdain for them and Drethkar refusing to work with them, especially from a portion of the Taurens given their reverence of nature and sense of honor which the Forsaken completely go against, or between the Blood Elves and the Darkspear and Revantusk Trolls given the hatred and conflicts between elves and trolls.
    Even the Goblins should have clashes with the Taurens, for their disregard of nature and deforestation, mining and pollution strongly harming the environment, and with the Zandalari Trolls with goblins having not forgotten how the Zandalari enslaved their ancestors.

- - - Updated - - -

Also with Garrosh's role in the death of Cairne Bloodhoof and his inaction into punishing Magatha Grimtotem, his disrespect for the Earthmother and the elements, and his many actions against the Darkspear Trolls from him putting the trolls into the worst slums of Orgrimmar to his murder attempt on Vol'jin and his martial occupation of Echo Isles, there should be serious strains in the relations between the orcs and their closest allies even if Thrall and the other orcish leaders who rebelled certainely worked to repair the damages done as best as they could.

a world

instead of a stage upon which to write cheap character drama

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    While I really dig the void elf aesthetics (Telogrus Rift is a veritable gem in the dirt in that regard), I still think that velfs are pretty much SoL overall, chiefly for two reasons:

1) they are heavily linked to the very Lovecraftian Old Gods, and as BfA showed, the current team SUCKS at reflecting Lovecraftian stuff in-game besides visuals;

2) velfs suck from a conceptual PoV. For starters, why is the study of the Void reserved to Thalassian elves only? And why exactly are they led by Alleria? Her new background from the end of Legion looks too Sue-ish to me, which is compounded by the fact that no one among dem blueberry elves seems to suffer any drawback from gulping all of dat grape juice. After all, the background of another "edgy" race such as Worgen shows clearly what happens with feral Worgen. Ditto for the DH intro zone, where you see one of them literally exploding because the poor lad can't control the overflowing Fel energy. Even the starting zone of belfs shows what happened to those who couldn't handle their thirst for magic (during BC, anyway). But velfs? Nothing, they wield void powers as easily as other folks tie their shoelaces. Because mUh 1337 L0cuS w4Lk3r, of course.
    Void Elves have the distinction of being the only Allied Race to be introduced entirely, in their recruitment questline. The others had at least a zone, if not a whole expansion or many years of lore backing them up. Magister Umbric didn't exist before Aleria started looking for rogue Sin'dorei, who were for some never explained reason prosecuted for studying the void. (About as contrived as High Elves who never had addiction issues after destruction of the Sunwell, because of plot armor) They've also done nothing distinct outside of being Aleria's henchmen, after they were sort of half turned into Ethereals?

I have always found it forced how the writers tried to make us believe that Thrall wasn't a leader and should stay away from the position of warchief or at least leader of the orcs even though he was the one who rebuilt the Horde or helped the Orcs reconnect with their ancestors and shamanism, successfully led his people to escape the Eastern Kingdoms and fight the Burning Legion, strongly reinforced the Horde with him welcoming the Taurens, Darkspear Trolls, Forsaken, Blood Elves and Goblins into the Horde and that while he was far from perfect things really went south for the Horde with his departure.

On down to earth interesting developments, I'm reading the Folk and Fairy Tales book and enjoying the smaller stories. Not every story needs to involve saving the universe.

- - - Updated - - -

The Alliance and the Horde should be more active into seeking new members and allies or into making too often forgotten and neglected allies official members, such as the High Elves, the Ogres, Forrest Trolls, Frostborn, Taunkas, Hozens, Jinyus, etc...

After Legion the Alliance should have tried to befriend and recruit the Tideskorn Vrykuls after Sylvanas' actions in Stormheim and Genn Greymane having foiled her plans and freed Eyir.
    We did that already, they're called allied races, they got their own quest chains and everything. We have quite a few of them, I think we're good for now. I found the quest chains interesting enough I unlocked them even for allied races I wasn't planning on playing, particularly enjoying the mag'har one for salvaging WOD's ending.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Passionate game developers who want to make a compelling experience, that aren't just balancing by spreadsheet and reading metrics more than player feedback. A team with a vision for what they want the game to be, that isn't constantly looking back on better times and asking themselves "how do we do what they did?". People who are excited to work on making a game they want to play, not one that arbitrarily meets milestones, subscriber numbers, and player engagement goals set by upper management. New and interesting characters and storylines, because what we've seen over the last couple of years feels like bad fanfiction, and it cheapens the entire franchise.

But most of all a game that respects the player and the time they invest. Too many systems have had edges polished down to the point where they lose all definition and it harms player agency. It may remove "wrong" choices but it also removes any kind of interesting decision making. There is no room for creative gameplay, it feels clinical, boring. Too much of the game is scheduled, micromanaged, keep logging in not because you want to keep playing, but because you have things that need to be done. And log out because you've run out of meaningful things to do for the day.

World of Warcraft used to be a world you could explore and get lost in, now it just feels like an amusement park.
    (This signature was clearly too awesome for the Avatar & Signature Guidelines and was removed to prevent further facemelting)

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    On down to earth interesting developments, I'm reading the Folk and Fairy Tales book and enjoying the smaller stories. Not every story needs to involve saving the universe.

- - - Updated - - -

We did that already, they're called allied races, they got their own quest chains and everything. We have quite a few of them, I think we're good for now. I found the quest chains interesting enough I unlocked them even for allied races I wasn't planning on playing, particularly enjoying the mag'har one for salvaging WOD's ending.
    These allied races weren't all of the first choices of allies or new members that the Alliance and the Horde could have sought out. Most Horde members would think first about Ogres, Hozens and Forrest Trolls as potential recruits than the Zandalari, Orcs from an AU universe or Vulperas.

- - - Updated - - -

There should be more details about the culture, customs, unique traits and everyday life of each race and every city.

- - - Updated - - -

Lei Shen the Thunder King should have been the main antagonist and the final boss of Mists of Pandaria instead of Garrosh Hellscream with him actually starting his campaign to reconquer Pandaria and/or trying to once again get his hands on the Forge of Origination or him trying to make his own Forge to purge all Old God, undead and demonic corruption and non-Mogu life on Azeroth and make himself the ruler and guardian of Azeroth until the birth of the titan inside the planet.

He was a truly badass, charismatic and epic character with a cool and interesting backstory and he could really be described as a knight templar since his ultimate goal was for the Mogu to bring order and accomplish the Keepers and Titans' mission in their stead and his power and knowledge were far greater than Garrosh's.

These allied races weren't all of the first choices of allies or new members that the Alliance and the Horde could have sought out. Most Horde members would think first about Ogres, Hozens and Forrest Trolls as potential recruits than the Zandalari, Orcs from an AU universe or Vulperas.
    Wildhammer/dark iron dwarves, dark/sandfury trolls, brown orcs, high elves, pre-sundering night elves, these were all definitely on the player's big request list and we got them playable in some form. They can't add every race. We've already got about as many allied races as not.

I will not accept ogres until we get two player co-op head mode.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

I'd have Jaina go back to Kul Tiras and KT rejoin the Alliance in Mists of Pandaria, it was useless and stupid to have Rhonin sacrifice himself while saving Jaina after telling her that she's the future of the Kirin Tor and even to make a stupid prophecy about her becoming the Kirin Tor leader if she was to leave after only two expansions and if it was possible for her to confront her past and personal demons by going back to her homeland in the first place.

Not counting that Garrosh being the warchief and the bombing of Theramore would have revived and excited the Kul Tiran's hostility toward the Horde and cries for war and given the Alliance its chance to try to recruit back this essential member of the original Alliance.

- - - Updated - - -

Similar to this I would have never made Maiev go crazy and become an enemy of the state for the Night Elves only to become sane again, be forgiven on account of her having been corrupted by an evil entity that was never revealed and brought up again and for her to only fight for her people during Legion and BFA whereas she could have been doing it from Wrath of the Lich King.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackstraw View Post
    No.
    The Illidari tale is one completely divorced by any race and much like the Ebon Blade should remain just so. Illidan does not see himself as a Kaldorei, and his most loyal disciples do not see themselves as belonging to any given faction, save from one of his best Demon Hunters who openly opposes him.
    See how am I not mentioning races here? Because these do not matter.
    The Kaldorei restauration can go through other channels. Mardum is not one of them.

I won't even enter in all the demon hunting pertaining to Kaldorei only, we're way in too deep an headcanon already.

Why though. They do not belong to any society, be it Night or Blood elven, and their mission is way less extreme now.
    Read what I say Jack.. it is as much a night elf story as druids are. Meaning it's not an only night elf thing.

It is not just night elves, but it is night elf based and derived, led..

demon hunters is how night elves do fel.. or rather Illidari is how night elves do fel

even though they do the things warlocks do and more (cos they have the melee component) the style, the approach, the belief - (they are not friends with demons, nor love them for their power), they use them,, enslave them to use them, and to destroy the legion, consume them all manner of things

This is night elven derived.. it may not have moon magic and star magic, but who's to say they can, but the way they use and the reasons for it are night elven based because they come form night elves who remain the bulk of their senior leaders, with blood elves joining them.

it is a 100% elven thing, just like druidism is.. even though many of the other elven branches don't practice druidism it is an elven derived class.. as is magecraft. These are the 3 classes that come from them.. and they have their own unique version of the priest class.

This is a very ancient race remember, they've done it all before, and to insane levels. Don't limit them to a village tree hugger that only knows of green and good things.
    Last edited by ravenmoon; 2021-07-27 at 08:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    Read what I say JAck.. it is as muuch a night elf story as duris are.

It is not just night elves, but it is night elf based and derived, led..

demon hunters is how night elves do fel.. or rather Illidari is how night elves do fel

even though they do the things warlocks do and more (cos they have the melee comopoenent) the style, the approach, the belief - (they are not friedns with demons, nor love them for hteir power), they use them,, enslave them to use them, and to destroy the legion, ocnsume them all mon ner of thigns

This is night elven derived.. it may not have moon magic and star magic, but who'sse to say they can, but the way they use and the reasons for it are night elven based becuase they come form night elves who remain the bulk of their seniro leaders, with blood elves joining htem.

it is a 100% elven thing, just like druidism is.. even though many of the other elven branches don't practice duridism it is an elven derived class.. as is magecraft
    I think there's confusion between the Illidari as in, the Demon Hunters, and the Illidari armies.

The Illidari as a whole collective were extremely diverse. In TBC, the majority of the Illidari forces were in fact, Blood Elves. Illidan's Council were a group of Blood Elves. The Black Temple Elite defenders were Blood Elves.
    Many of the demon hunter initiates were Blood Elves. At the time, Illidan's best Demon Hunter was a Blood Elf, who bested the three Night Elf tutors. So, half demon/half night elf led, but the main "face" of the Black Temple were Blood Elves.

Now, the Illidari focuses in on the Demon Hunter and how it's led is dependent on what race the player chose. I play a Blood Elf Demon Hunter and Kayn Sunfury is my champion. With that in mind, the Illidari, for me - is exactly the same as how Illidan ran it, only now it falls under a Sin'dorei leadership.

People who chose Night Elf Demon Hunters with Altrius as their champion - it's more "Night Elf" in the way it runs, but it is drastically different than how Illidan did it. I prefer the way Illidan ran it.

https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Illidari#Composition
    Last edited by Tanaria; 2021-07-27 at 08:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanaria View Post
    I think there's confusion between the Illidari as in, the Demon Hunters, and the Illidari armies.
    How so? It is like a lot of groups in wow, a name can be both a race / sub race and a faction too - meaning they are others of a different race under the banner of the name of the race/group

Illidair is the name for a sub race of demon enhanced elves.. it was exclusively night elves until TBC, when blood elves came in an it can extend to them because they are elves. . The faction is also called Illidari and included fel orcs, shivarra, even Eredar, other demons that were under illidan's command .. the rest of the naga and blood elves were races that joined that faction

Demon hunter as an in game class is a fraction of what demon hunter is in lore who can do much more than in game, especially spell casting wise, so when we say demon hunter, people think the class, so i tend to use Illidari to refer to the fel wielding elves trained by Illidan and his night elven lieutenants to become who they are now.

I would like that the horde and alliance get disbanded in favour of a sort of UN.

With more kingdom vs kingdom wars/conflicts where not one person (warchief) can pull in 5 other races into a war they have nothing to do with.

That would give more options regarding diplomatic quests and stories. And more interactions with characters that are not the faction leader. And more pressure on the orcs and undead to stop waging war every 5 seconds.

Why would ne tauren for example would want war with the nightelves? It is just stupid.

Stories could be more down to earth. Maybe for some reason we get depowered or magic as a whole gets a serious nerf. Because all the powerlevels across the board got a bit out of hand after legion.... lorewise (gameplay wise nothing much changes)
    Maybe one expansion where the raids are not about worldending threads and more local stuff that we have to deal with. Which only works if we are not the champions of all and godkillers anymore. Maybe they could work with a 10 year timeskip which would not change to much for the world itself and the NPCs but politically it gets a bit more relaxed and we (because of our time in the shadowlands) are for some reason not that powerfull anymore.

Edit: And just take PvP out of the lore completly, doesn't make sense anyway. Or just make the military exercises. Idk.... Battlegrounds never made sense anyway
    Last edited by VinceVega; 2021-07-27 at 08:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    How so? It is like a lot of groups in wow, a name can be both a race / sub race and a faction too - meaning they are others of a different race under the banner of the name of the race/group

Illidair is the name for a sub race of demon enhanced elves.. it was exclusively night elves until TBC, when blood elves came in an it can extend to them because they are elves. . The faction is also called Illidari and included fel orcs, shivarra, even Eredar, other demons that were under illidan's command .. the rest of the naga and blood elves were races that joined that faction

Demon hunter as an in game class is a fraction of what demon hunter is in lore who can do much more than in game, especially spell casting wise, so when we say demon hunter, people think the class, so i tend to use Illidari to refer to the fel wielding elves trained by Illidan and his night elven lieutenants to become who they are now.
    Well no - the Illidari didn't exist before TBC. It was only a small handful of night elves that Illidan was willing to train and that was it.

Other Night Elves, as well the Sunfury Blood Elves and other defenders, came in that 5 year period between the end of Warcraft 3 and TBC.

Also - we only know of 3 actual higher ranked night elf demon hunters who were training the initiates. The other demon hunters like Kayn and Kor'vos were all on the same level of importance. Their race wasn't important to Illidan. Hell, Varedis was put into a higher position than his night elf tutors, but that was down to his skill and mastery of the demon hunter craft.
    The main Illidari lieutenants came from the above the Demon Hunters obviously, both Blood Elven and Night Elven.
    But then in the main - as far as the TBC era goes - the majority of his lieutenants came in the face of Blood Elves, Naga and Fel Orcs.

I mean, the Crimson Sigil Blood Elves were and I quote:
    The Betrayer's most trusted legion of blood elf warriors is known as the Crimson Sigil; they are the highest commanders of the Illidari outside of the Black Temple itself.

Then we've got the Illidari Council - 4 powerful Blood Elves, commanding the main forces of the Illidari.

It's not so cut and dry to say that the Illidari was a total night elf thing with well named night elf lieutenants when in TBC, their was only 3 named night elves of the Illidari. The others being on Mardum, who were all at the same level as each other. Illidan didn't choose his demon hunters because some of them shared a race with him - that was irrelevant to him. It was skill and determination.