Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    *Swimming

Alaska gets gold in the 100m breaststroke!
    *cough *cough8 Akshuly, she's a future Texas Longhorn. So, not Alaska!

10+ Year Old Account
    Britain got their first 1/2 in a Swimming event in over 110 years.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    (just friendly banter here)

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    *cough *cough8 Akshuly, she's a future Texas Longhorn. So, not Alaska!
    Um, yeah, no. 100% Alaskan. Let me know when she's actually attending classes or working out there or training there or has she even in the water yet?

I did think it was pretty cool she's going there. Longhorns have a pretty amazing swimming program, right?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    Britain got their first 1/2 in a Swimming event in over 110 years.
    *Synchronized Diving

I just lucked out and saw their winning dive. That was nuts. And I'm a little embarrassed to say I cheered even more knowing they beat out China.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    *Synchronized Diving

I just lucked out and saw their winning dive. That was nuts. And I'm a little embarrassed to say I cheered even more knowing they beat out China.
    Tom Daley's story is nothing short of inspiring, but yeah, their winning dive was near perfect.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    I was curious how the ROC can exist when Russia is banned from the Olympics this year. Found this article - interesting write up on how Russia is banned from the Olympics but still sent 330 athletes - definitely worth the read.

My favorite quote: "In Russia, the Olympics gold medal you."

Ending paragraph:
    So the IOC is still dealing with the cleanup seven years later, having to go through this charade: a bunch of Russians, dressed like Russian flags, climbing a podium to listen to a famed Russian composer and accept medals they will bring back to Russia.

They are definitely not competing for Russia. Nope. Not at all.
    Last edited by cubby; 2021-07-27 at 05:10 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Watching women's boxing...this is something. They aren't defending at all, just smacking each other in the head 24/7. O_O
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

10+ Year Old Account
    Simone Biles out of the team gymnastics is huge, easily one of the biggest stars of the whole games.

Hope she can recover in time for the individuals.
    Last edited by Northern Goblin; 2021-07-27 at 12:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    They mentioned on Eurosport and Dutch TV that it wasn't an injury but due to mental problems.

*Mountainbiking

Totally missed the medal sweep by Switzerland

- - - Updated - - -

*Swimming

Imagine athletics having 3 different kinds of 100m sprint. A normal one (free form), one running backwards (backstroke) and one with a limp (breaststroke).

Hansworst, seen the horrible bad luck the cyclists have? First MVDP (Feels like shit to the brain moment more or less... but the femals had the boards.. which raises a few questions... but mostly feels like Shit to the Brain) Then that BMX'er crashing into that Official... and now Anna with yet another Official.. are those Officials out to murder the dutch cycling plans?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuiking View Post
    Hansworst, seen the horrible bad luck the cyclists have? First MVDP (Feels like shit to the brain moment more or less... but the femals had the boards.. which raises a few questions... but mostly feels like Shit to the Brain) Then that BMX'er crashing into that Official... and now Anna with yet another Official.. are those Officials out to murder the dutch cycling plans?
    MvdP should really blame his coach because everyone else knew the board was gone for the race. That BMX accident was just ridiculous, what was that guy doing on track?

10+ Year Old Account
    So far disappointing Olympics for the Dutch. 3 silver so far.

*Women's football

Imagine winning with 10-3 and 8-2 in group stage and then have to face off against team USA.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansworst View Post
    Imagine athletics having 3 different kinds of 100m sprint. A normal one (free form), one running backwards (backstroke) and one with a limp (breaststroke).
    This has bothered me for years, for a good while it was how the USA had such an inflated gold medal count, in fairness the British do the exact same in track cycling.

10+ Year Old Account
    This has bothered me for years, for a good while it was how the USA had such an inflated gold medal count, in fairness the British do the exact same in track cycling.
    Same with the Dutch in Winter Olympics with speedskating. But at least thosr are all different race lengths.

Swimming should be different race lengths and a relay but all in free form. You wanna do a breaststroke? Go ahead, you'll know you won't win.
    37 gold medals for just one sport is ridiculous. And 37 gold is way more then the 22 cycling has, which is mountainbiking, road race, road time trial, track cycling and BMX combined.
    Last edited by MCMLXXXII; 2021-07-27 at 01:47 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    They DO have multiple ways they hold foot races. Let’s leave aside hurdles and steeple chase. Have you ever heard of race walking?
    I've seen it and it is ridiculous. But they just have a 20k and a 50k race for that. Not a 100m, 200m, a 400m, a relay and a mixed relay like the people who can run normal.

10+ Year Old Account
    They DO have multiple ways they hold foot races. Let’s leave aside hurdles and steeple chase. Have you ever heard of race walking?
    But they're over significantly longer lengths than the 100m, 200m etc.

You don't see sprinters medalling in both the 100m/200m and then again in the steeplechase, or even the 110m hurdles.

You can, sometimes, see swimmers in multiple disciplines. Those are generational athletes though, like Thorpe and Phelps.

10+ Year Old Account
    But they're over significantly longer lengths than the 100m, 200m etc.

You don't see sprinters medalling in both the 100m/200m and then again in the steeplechase, or even the 110m hurdles.

You can, sometimes, see swimmers in multiple disciplines. Those are generational athletes though, like Thorpe and Phelps.
    But I agree with him, if you get rid of all those different swimstrokes, we should also cut speedwalking. Not in the least because it's just looks like a Monty Python sketch.

10+ Year Old Account
    Having done all three styles in highschool competition myself, they are all different skillsets. I have no issue with all being separated. Doing Freeform is so much easier than breaststroke, and fly is absolutely the hardest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Having done all three styles in highschool competition myself, they are all different skillsets. I have no issue with all being separated. Doing Freeform is so much easier than breaststroke, and fly is absolutely the hardest.
    There's no denying that they all require different skillsets but apparently free form is the most effective. Driving on a unicycle also requires a different skillset then a racing bike but there aren't different cycling road races for unicycles and racing bikes at the Olympics.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are different races for cycling though. Mountain bike, road racing, track racing, BMX racing.

- - - Updated - - -

Until there’s a marathon swim event it’s hard to fully compare, but there are indeed running events that are long distance.
    Except those are on varying terrains and not in the exact same swimming pool.

And there is a kind of swimming marathon, it's in open water, which indeed is different from swimming in a pool in a less effective manner.

I mean it's okay to do all those disciplines on world championships but keep it out of the Olympics.
    Last edited by MCMLXXXII; 2021-07-27 at 05:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It’s still the equivalent. Why not just pick on discipline on a bike if we’re getting rid of duplicates?
    I would agree with you if they would do a race with a BMX bike and next day they would do a race on the exact same track with a mountain bike. I'm also okay if they would cut some track cycling. But 37 golden medals for just one type of sport? Too much.