10+ Year Old Account
    The method isn't too different from the PS3 and 4 but Microsoft really beat them in the storage expansion department. A similar NVE drive for the PS5 is about ~$20 more than the Mircosoft option and faster but the simplicity of the the Series X|S is nice. The PS5's option is a lot more flexible and futureproof though. Ive take drives from computers and put them in playstations and back with the other consoles, you'll be able to do the same with the PS5.

I'm waiting to see how well the PS5's OS will handle two drives (two internal drives). Sony has been trying to downplay people's expectations, at least from what I've seen.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Yes, you're trading convenience for more options on brands and cheaper prices. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Options, yes. Cheaper? As of now that isn't true. You'd be hard pressed to find a compatible SSD for the PS5 that matches the price of the Xbox Series X SSD. It's 220 USD and all the 1 TB SSDs I've seen go for like 280 USD.

Perhaps in a few years we'll see the prices go down substantially though.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    Options, yes. Cheaper? As of now that isn't true. You'd be hard pressed to find a compatible SSD for the PS5 that matches the price of the Xbox Series X SSD. It's 220 USD and all the 1 TB SSDs I've seen go for like 280 USD.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08KFS6THF...S5KPBXKEN822RQ

You can grab a 500 mb or 2 tb at your leisure. You can wait for sales throughout the year because you're not locked to a brand. Options, options, options.

You can grab a 500 mb or 2 tb at your leisure. You can wait for sales throughout the year because you're not locked to a brand. Options, options, options.
    Aren't you like missing the heatsink? From what I read it's kind of suggested and if you add then you are paying 250 dollars instead.

- - - Updated - - -

People are just assuming that the expansion card will be more expensive then the sony alternative but if you look at this objectively it's just to early to tell.
    Sure with the PS3/Xbox360 generation you had expensive proprietary solutions by all companies who wanted a peace of the memory action (every camera brand used a different SD card format) but in today's market we aren't really sure how things will develop.

Right now the price per GB is kind of similar, I saw somewhere that Microsoft promised that the Seagate exclusivity is temporary so in the end you may just need to pay a little bit more for the convenience of having a plug and play device and not the proprietary tax.
    Last edited by ati87; 2021-07-30 at 06:55 AM.

10+ Year Old Account

It's missing the heatsink, which Sony lists as a requirement.

This one is also missing a heatsink, but also apparently was built to run cool without one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...i3SdYpADC&th=1.

Ultimately, I'm just gonna wait for people to test it out and see how necessary a heatsink is and what the best SSDs for the PS5 are. Don't wanna buy one without a heatsink only for it to overheat.

This one is also missing a heatsink, but also apparently was built to run cool without one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...i3SdYpADC&th=1.

Ultimately, I'm just gonna wait for people to test it out and see how necessary a heatsink is and what the best SSDs for the PS5 are. Don't wanna buy one without a heatsink only for it to overheat.
    Yea but it's build to run without a heatsink when using with the device it's designed for...a PC.
    I don't think you can just compare a PC with a PS5 in this regard, games on PC are not designed with a SSD in mind for example plus the airflow and heat buildup are different.

Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
    https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status...11116083662855

This got a good laugh from me.

Seriously though would it kill Sony to come up with a simpler way to do this kind of thing? Even just a separate module I can slide out of my PS5 and install the SSD to would be preferable to this. Plus you have to make sure it's the right kind of SSD as well so hopefully, they come out with some kind of official SSD to make it a little easier for people who don't know what to look for.
    I mean this is as pretty much simple as it gets. i dont see how upgrading the ps5 was difficult in the least bit. Take the cover, the sdd sheild and then the m2 screw and slot in the new one and put them back on.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Blame the parasites called scalpers. A group of them a few months ago made £20m.
    i blame people wiling to buy from scalpers more
    sure scalpes are parasites, but if nobody was wiling to buy from them they would be fucked

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Pssst… it’s also designed to run in laptops.
    and yet the my statement still stands.
    Even if designed for PC/Laptops right now how many software will you find that are designed with SSD's in mind? At least not anything that is sold to the mass market.
    Sony is selling Ratchet & Clank with the idea that the SSD is what allows the game to work most games aren't right now not designed as such.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolites View Post
    i blame people wiling to buy from scalpers more
    sure scalpes are parasites, but if nobody was wiling to buy from them they would be fucked
    There'll always be rich mofos that don't care about what they pay unfortunately, more so at the behest of their kids wanting the latest things.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    There'll always be rich mofos that don't care about what they pay unfortunately, more so at the behest of their kids wanting the latest things.
    and they should be blamed and shamed or laughed at or whatever helps to make them realise they fuck up situation for everyone
    i know, its naive to think this will change, but then sony should step in, the new handheld from valve seems to at least try to fuck with scalpers, sure sony could do something with new releases of ps5 an next gen after

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    I mean this is as pretty much simple as it gets. i dont see how upgrading the ps5 was difficult in the least bit. Take the cover, the sdd sheild and then the m2 screw and slot in the new one and put them back on.
    People keep saying this but Microsoft proves it could be simpler. I'm not saying it's hard but it is harder than it's ever been.

Before all you needed was a hard drive that would fit the system, now you have to find an ssd with the appropriate specs and heat sink. How are they supposed to communicate this to the average consumer?

Meanwhile Microsoft has made the whole process very simple, wanna expand your storage? Get the expansion card. How do you install it? Just slide it into the back.

People keep saying this but Microsoft proves it could be simpler. I'm not saying it's hard but it is harder than it's ever been.

Before all you needed was a hard drive that would fit the system, now you have to find an ssd with the appropriate specs and heat sink. How are they supposed to communicate this to the average consumer?

Meanwhile Microsoft has made the whole process very simple, wanna expand your storage? Get the expansion card. How do you install it? Just slide it into the back.
    Well, easier yes but MS is proprietary option and Sony has an option that will get better then that over time as more ssds hit the market and their price go's down. In 3 years time when we're halfway thru the gen you are going to be able to expand the PS5 storage with a better driver for cheaper then what you can on series X because the only way for you to expand it's internal storage is with a proprietary drive you can only buy from MS.

So do you want convenience or do you want an option that gets better and cheaper as the gen go's forward? I can tell you what probably every person capable of inserting an m.2 drive would want on both their series X and PS5...
    Last edited by Tech614; 2021-07-30 at 01:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Well, easier yes but MS is proprietary option and Sony has an option that will get better then that over time as more ssds hit the market and their price go's down. In 3 years time when we're halfway thru the gen you are going to be able to expand the PS5 storage with a better driver for cheaper then what you can on series X because the only way for you to expand it's internal storage is with a proprietary drive you can only buy from MS.

So do you want convenience or do you want an option that gets better and cheaper as the gen go's forward? I can tell you what probably every person capable of inserting an m.2 drive would want on both their series X and PS5...
    Why can't it be both? Why can't we have options but still have an installation process the average consumer can figure out without an online guide?

I get the whole "proprietary bad" mentality but should that really be used as an excuse for not making the whole process less complicated than it needs to be?

Even Sony announcing some kind of official ssd they can sell alongside the ps5 would be better than nothing.

15+ Year Old Account

Didn't know, but on black friday/cyber monday, you'll be able to get one for 150-175.

Why can't it be both? Why can't we have options but still have an installation process the average consumer can figure out without an online guide?

I get the whole "proprietary bad" mentality but should that really be used as an excuse for not making the whole process less complicated than it needs to be?

Even Sony announcing some kind of official ssd they can sell alongside the ps5 would be better than nothing.
    Why do you care so much? Like if you had to disassemble everything to do it sure, that's annoying, but all you do is take off one panel, unscrew a thing and then put it in, lol. The guy even did it in like a minute in a half one handed while holding a camera. Jeez
    Last edited by Video Games; 2021-07-30 at 01:39 PM.

It's not that complicated and the only people that even need more storage are enthusiasts who should be able to handle installing this, it's not brain surgery.

The average user will never expand their storage they will simply gasp... delete their games. Hell its even less of a issue on PS5 then it is on PS4 as games on PS5 that use kraken are 50% smaller in install sizes then on other platforms.

If only enthusiasts need additional storage, then giving them an option that improves over the gen is better then locking them into a proprietary addon. If you can't handle installing an m.2 drive you do not need additional storage, I'm sorry mate. If you can't handle this then you also couldn't handling swapping the hdds on PS3/PS4 which was also a very simple task.

There is also the "easy" option of cold storage on external drives that you can move on or off of the internal storage on both platforms fyi.

I think you're just trying to find something to complain about.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2021-07-30 at 01:41 PM.

Didn't Sony go for a custom design SSD that is capable of reaching higher speeds then regular PCI SSD that is found in the Xbox?

\\

It's not that complicated and the only people that even need more storage are enthusiasts who should be able to handle installing this, it's not brain surgery.

The average user will never expand their storage they will simply gasp... delete their games. Hell its even less of a issue on PS5 then it is on PS4 as games on PS5 that use kraken are 50% smaller in install sizes then on other platforms.

If only enthusiasts need additional storage, then giving them an option that improves over the gen is better then locking them into a proprietary addon. If you can't handle installing an m.2 drive you do not need additional storage, I'm sorry mate. If you can't handle this then you also couldn't handling swapping the hdds on PS3/PS4 which was also a very simple task.

There is also the "easy" option of cold storage on external drives that you can move on or off of the internal storage on both platforms fyi.

I think you're just trying to find something to complain about.
    Only enthusiasts expand their storage because they are the only ones who know how to do it. There is no reason sony couldn't make it simpler so it could appeal to more people.

Just because it's not a problem for you doesn't mean it's not a problem.

If Microsoft can make things easier for the average consumer then there is no reason Sony can't do the same. Besides you can't tell me you really believe opening up your system is better than not having to ever do that.

Only enthusiasts expand their storage because they are the only ones who know how to do it. There is no reason sony couldn't make it simpler so it could appeal to more people.

Just because it's not a problem for you doesn't mean it's not a problem.

If Microsoft can make things easier for the average consumer then there is no reason Sony can't do the same. Besides you can't tell me you really believe opening up your system is better than not having to ever do that.
    Anyone capable of building the most basic lego set can install the storage. So that means some 5 year olds can do it FYI. It's not even remotely complicated for any average person that tries to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    Didn't Sony go for a custom design SSD that is capable of reaching higher speeds then regular PCI SSD that is found in the Xbox?

\\
    Yeah this is another issue, apparently sony can't guarantee that the ssd you use for expanded storage will actually match the internal ssd which means certain games like Ratchet and Clank might still require they be installed to the internal drive to get the best performance.