Page 29 of 98 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Zython View Post
    So I keep hearing people say that Biden "bungled" the withdrawal. Does anyone know how, exactly, and what he should have done (or not done) differently? Because as far as I can tell, the implication is that he shouldn't have withdrawn at all. Which, after 20 years, kind of paints a worse picture of his predecessors than it does of Biden himself.
    Pulling out all the afghans who where working for the US before pulling out would have been nice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    Soviets did better in Afghanistan than the US.
    By what metric, The Soviet Union collapsed shortly after.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnBrown1917 View Post
    Pulling out all the afghans who where working for the US before pulling out would have been nice.
    What's the mechanism for that? Do they all get US citizenship automatically? Does the plane make a lot of pitstops, like a bus, to drop them off? Do these people get money to help them set up a new life somewhere else?

I'm honestly curious how this would even be feasible. I guarantee Trump's plan didn't account for giving all those Afghans automatic citizenship and living expenses.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Aside from those people personally, that wouldn't have altered the general outcome.
    Banned from Twitter by Elon, so now I'm your problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brexitexit View Post
    I am the total opposite of a cuck.

10+ Year Old Account
    So I keep hearing people say that Biden "bungled" the withdrawal. Does anyone know how, exactly, and what he should have done (or not done) differently? Because as far as I can tell, the implication is that he shouldn't have withdrawn at all. Which, after 20 years, kind of paints a worse picture of his predecessors than it does of Biden himself.
    It is hard to explain it properly without also giving a lengthy explanation of how the combat support system works over there as well as how our command chain and supply chains function... But as simple as I can put it: We taught them how we grow trees, showed them how much water to use, and where to plant them. Then, overnight, we took the water and burned the ground and then said "have fun growing the apples" after they finally had their first tree grown. And then people wondered why the Afghan's.. no longer having water provided, and no longer having the ground.. didn't try to grow more trees.
    "When you build it, you love it!"

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    There is still time for US to follow suit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Aside from those people personally, that wouldn't have altered the general outcome.
    Nothing else could be done, aside from going back in time and never going to Afghanistan.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    What's the mechanism for that? Do they all get US citizenship automatically? Does the plane make a lot of pitstops, like a bus, to drop them off? Do these people get money to help them set up a new life somewhere else?

I'm honestly curious how this would even be feasible. I guarantee Trump's plan didn't account for giving all those Afghans automatic citizenship and living expenses.
    I don't really care what Trump would have done, Biden had plenty of time to get them out instead of the current shitshow that is now going on in the airport at Kabul.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bowchikabow View Post
    It is hard to explain it properly without also giving a lengthy explanation of how the combat support system works over there as well as how our command chain and supply chains function... But as simple as I can put it: We taught them how we grow trees, showed them how much water to use, and where to plant them. Then, overnight, we took the water and burned the ground and then said "have fun growing the apples" after they finally had their first tree grown. And then people wondered why the Afghan's.. no longer having water provided, and no longer having the ground.. didn't try to grow more trees.
    The army collapsed because they simply did not want to fight, mostly due to lack of any sort of Afghan national identity and the tribes they belong to surrendering. Why risk your life for a government you don't even recognize while you are not getting paid?

Quote Originally Posted by bowchikabow View Post
    Again, I'm asking what Biden specifically did wrong. Not the occupation apparatus over the span of the past 20 years. THAT'S well documented.
    Banned from Twitter by Elon, so now I'm your problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brexitexit View Post
    I am the total opposite of a cuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    The greatest country in the world won’t collapse anytime soon keep dreaming.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    You and Kokolums can go off in a corner and dream about the US civil war that's not going to happen.

I don't really care what Trump would have done, Biden had plenty of time to get them out instead of the current shitshow that is now going on in the airport at Kabul.
    Nope, sorry, you completely ignored the question.

I guess that means you have no answer, which means your statement is just a steaming pile of... nothing.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

No one has a case here unless their isn't a 4 way split in blame for what happened. Bush for going in with little direction besides "get him". Obama for riding on the plan with little direction even though he "got him". Trump for using it as a PR stunt like everything else he does, and Biden for having a telegraphed pull out date without preparations.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    The Soviet's left a State that survived several years, and it cost them a fraction of the price in terms of gold and blood.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post

The plan was to identify people who directly worked for the US, people like translators who were embedded with ground troops and the civilian support staff who worked for the US, janitors, technicians, clerks etc and grant them temporary refugee status that would have been further reviewed in the US.

The Trump administration slowed this process down to a halt (cuz fuck brown people), so the idea was to ship these people to a location like the US Virgin Islands and various US army bases, where they would have been given temporary shelter while their Visa applications would have been fully processed.

This has been done before and it was done with a much larger volume of people.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vietnamese_Americans

- - - Updated - - -

Again, I'm asking what Biden specifically did wrong. Not the occupation apparatus over the span of the past 20 years. THAT'S well documented.
    In general relying on a timetable that assumed it would have months to get everyone out.

This isn't per say 100% on Biden, as the US has spent years deceiving itself about the real situation on the ground.

The Biden administration's failure was accepting the notion that the Pentagon and the US intelligence community actually knows what it is doing.

I honestly don't know how anyone in his right mind can believe that after the endless chain of epic failures of the past 20 something years.

10+ Year Old Account
    A former DoD official wrote this informed OP ED in TheAtlantic about Biden's withdraw. For the record, I don't agree with all of it -- maybe most of it.

But the ending I didn't disagree with, because...well, take a look.

Finally, critics are lobbing the usual refrain that the withdrawal has damaged U.S. credibility. “Afghanistan’s Unraveling May Strike Another Blow to U.S. Credibility,” read a headline in The New York Times; “Afghanistan’s Collapse Leaves Allies Questioning U.S. Resolve on Other Fronts,” echoed The Washington Post. The United States has spent billions of taxpayer dollars, fought for more than 20 years, and suffered thousands of casualties in this war. If that sort of commitment lacks credibility, our allies will never believe we are doing enough. Critics likewise argued that withdrawal from Vietnam would hurt our credibility. In reality, Japan and other allies questioned our ability to protect them not because we withdrew from Vietnam, but because the United States was militarily overstretched. Withdrawal did not undermine our credibility; by consolidating our efforts, it might enhance it.
    I wasn't around for the Vietnam War, but did the US really get a lot of hate from countries we actually like for leaving? Or did that blow over?

Perhaps one of the few bright spots...er, not as dark spots...is knowing that everyone else already knew we were going to fail, and fail this badly, and are okay with US finally getting the message. It's not as much silver lining as less-rusted-steel lining.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Right, it just cost them the Soviet Union.

https://faculty.washington.edu/aseem/afganwar.pdf
    We shall see how America fairs, I mean few would say things are going well.

However its pretty easy to do well as a country with no enemies nearby, a mote between yourself and the world, and the best land in the world that was inhabited by people wiped out by a sneeze.
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    To be fair, that's what the Soviets kept saying too.

I feel terrible for the Afghan people who don't want to live under Sharia law.

This might be something so insequential to people abroad. Seeing as its never been a reality for them. But as a ME person I totally understand the very crushing, reeling emotions of having your society slide back centuries into religious persecution.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    My point wasn’t really related to America, more the cost to the Soviets.
    My point was that the US wasted way more time, lives and treasure and got worse results. And given how the US is doing over the last decade, we aren't exactly a thriving place.

Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    Greatest by what metric ?

Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    Greatest by what metric ?
    only superpower i assume