Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Can't wait for possible fresh Classic and it's healthy community

So it's likely we will get fresh Classic and this time around community will be like 2005 WoW. We all saw how retailers ruined Classic with min/max culture so raids were filled with 20 warriors and 10 mages. In addition they brought toxic addons like Weakaura and such that doesn't belong to Classic.
    This time around they will stay in TBC and hopefully possible fresh won't be toxic min/max.
    I can't wait for healthy community that doesn't cry when we wipe or yell "go go" and doesn't mind if BRD takes 4 hours to clear.
    Last edited by strixer; 2021-08-23 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by strixer View Post
    So it's likely we will get fresh Classic and this time around community will be like 2005 WoW. We all saw how retailers ruined Classic with min/max culture so raids were filled with 20 warriors and 10 mages. In addition they brought toxic addons like Weakaura and such that doesn't belong to Classic.
    This time around they will stay in TBC and hopefully possible fresh won't be toxic min/max.
    I can't wait for healthy community that doesn't cry when we wipe or yell "go go" and doesn't mind if BRD takes 4 hours to clear.
    if you play classic now, you can experience that. No need to wait

Quote Originally Posted by crusadernero View Post
    if you play classic now, you can experience that. No need to wait
    No one wants to play Naxx forever and it's economy is ruined long time ago.

No one wants to play Naxx forever and it's economy is ruined long time ago.
    Well technically you will play all classic raids forever on current & fresh servers. Its the same raids in both versions.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    I think you missed the boat... we had exactly that 2 years ago.

Only the tryhards and a few hardcore guilds were min/maxing. I don't know if you actually played, but what you are saying is pretty much what most guilds were doing.

We did not have 20 warriors. We had ret paladins, feral druids, shadowpriests etc.. and easily cleared the content anyways. And people got to enjoy all the instances and quests as it was intended to be.

I am not sure how a fresh server will be better this time around. I think it will be only for those who missed it the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikah View Post
    I am not sure how a fresh server will be better this time around. I think it will be only for those who missed it the first time.
    Tryhards will stay in TBC and not follow fresh.

Unfortunately, I think you will be disappointed. I mean the competitive folk probably will stay on TBC but it isn't just the competitive players who made classic vanilla like that. It is the fact that it is a game where everyone already knows the best way to play because absolutely everything was solved ages ago. You will never ever get a 2005-like experience no matter how many times they refresh it because in 2005 the vast majority of players had no idea how to really play and the community was in learn and explore mode. This was unifying and helped give the community something to build around.

That is forever gone now, nearly every player is now an expert and the resources are available for you to tune your expertise to the maximum. Because of this, the nature of the gameplay will always lean towards that push towards the highest possible performance.

The only real way to recover that style of play is for Blizzard to make a WoW 2.0 that is wildly different than WoW 1.0 so that players all enter the experience equally oblivious to how the game is best played. Though, even in that case, the wildly higher prevalence of online resources today will still lean the community towards a competitive performance culture far more than in 2005 when the vast majority of players mainly only learned about the game while playing the game.

Did you manage to get your hands on a time machine that goes to 2005?

The 2005 community is also severely overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by themortalgod View Post
    Unfortunately, I think you will be disappointed. I mean the competitive folk probably will stay on TBC but it isn't just the competitive players who made classic vanilla like that. It is the fact that it is a game where everyone already knows the best way to play because absolutely everything was solved ages ago. You will never ever get a 2005-like experience no matter how many times they refresh it because in 2005 the vast majority of players had no idea how to really play and the community was in learn and explore mode. This was unifying and helped give the community something to build around.

That is forever gone now, nearly every player is now an expert and the resources are available for you to tune your expertise to the maximum. Because of this, the nature of the gameplay will always lean towards that push towards the highest possible performance.

The only real way to recover that style of play is for Blizzard to make a WoW 2.0 that is wildly different than WoW 1.0 so that players all enter the experience equally oblivious to how the game is best played. Though, even in that case, the wildly higher prevalence of online resources today will still lean the community towards a competitive performance culture far more than in 2005 when the vast majority of players mainly only learned about the game while playing the game.
    Just the sheer fact that we could meet other people and chat with them in a online game as streamlined as in wow vanilla was also a big thing. These days thats a given in any game and our way of life.

community will NEVER ever be like in 2005 again for simple reason - its not 2005 anymore
    times changed, people changed, game changed, amount of knowledge about game, technology and everything else changed, so its impossible to have the same experience as in 2005, its extremely naive to think it would happen if they make fresh servers (which btw is not "likely", its wishful thinking)
    people who thought it would happen with classic were naive, thinking it will happen with fresh servers when wa literaly saw how classic went is laughable
    Last edited by Lolites; 2021-08-23 at 02:28 PM.

Could you be so kind and tell me what stopped you and all the other untold people that wanted to play Classic unpolluted by the toxic min-maxers from finding each other - making your own guilds - and playing the game how you wanted to play it?

You are not the first opponent of "toxic min-maxers" that I ask this question and I have so far never gotten an answer. Maybe you'll be the exception from the rule.

You're so wrong. The same min/max shit is going to happen on the new servers.

If anything people will min max fresh even more, everyone knows the meta now and will pick their class accordingly. Mostly sounds like you either played a complete meme spec or were in a guild that didn't align with how you wanted to play the game.
    Also pve servers are usually more laid back and accepting of suboptimal play, play on one on fresh if you didn't in classic.

You're up for a big disappointement lol. Maybe it wasn't the "retailers", but it was you and the classic community all long that "ruined" classic for everyone?

Probably the most hypocritical line about your post. This is EXACTLY how vanilla was back in the days, people "behaved" like that even in low level dungeons.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kranur View Post
    Did you manage to get your hands on a time machine that goes to 2005?

The 2005 community is also severely overrated.
    It's just funny how some people just want to remember the good parts of the "good old days" (not just wow) and intentionally pretend like what's happening today has never happened in that period or that it happened rarely.

Or probably in the case of this guy, he never played vanilla.

It won't ever go back to non-min/max insanity. It is more the games problem than the communities and I say that as a person that loves Classic WoW. When 2-3 classes just utterly dominate in almost every space of the game why wouldn't people just go directly to it. The thing I learned from Classic was I loved playing it. It was great reliving the content again. Totally enjoyed it. But I probably won't do it again. It was a great ride but I don't need to do it dozens of times over. It was a godsend during COVID.

10+ Year Old Account
    WoW and a non toxic community don't really go together.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    So it's likely we will get fresh Classic
    Hahaha, HAHAHAHA, HAHAHAHAHAHA! Hoo boy, I needed a laugh.

You really, really think they're gonna go with Fresh Classic, a suggestion from the community, so soon? After they dragged their feet and pitched a fit and said that the concept of Classic itself wasn't something we actually wanted, while simultaneously cracking down on private servers?

I'm sorry, genuinely, but that's not how they work. Maybe, maybe, the latest controversies will have them make a Hail Mary to try and get some extra people to come back, but I doubt it. I wouldn't expect fresh Classic for a few more years, probably after WotLK Classic most likely. This is based on my observations of them and how long it takes them to implement "big" changes that the fans want.

EDIT: Damn, they actually did it. Whelp, I admit it, I was wrong. Feels kinda like desperation, but I'm not gonna knock it if it makes people happy.
    Last edited by The Stormbringer; 2021-09-08 at 02:06 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    I just loooove how "Classic will be the best thing ever" got switched to "fresh Classic will be the best thing ever".
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Dog, I've already wrote to all my toxic friends and we bringing such toxic addons as WeakAura's, ElvUI, ItemRack, Exorsus, FishingBuddy, and we even had some toxic coders to make a gear score addon with custom item ratings according to optimal spec for class and sim data. Looks like your gonna be dripping in toxicity the first day you dive into F R E S H Classic WoW. We gonna Clear MC in 2 days and then laugh at your incorrect spec. You're going to have to play Final Fantasy for 2 years just to wash the smell of me and my friends sweat off you.

15+ Year Old Account
    You understand if they do seasonal refreshes, people are going to tryhard and rush even more, yeah?