Page 17 of 61 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Honestly, not everything has to exist in every medium. I think the books are fine to just exist as books, and I'd rather have people make NEW movies with original stories and settings.
    i completly disagree,movies can take a story and elevate it to new hights,no matter how good a book is,its story can always be improved in a visual medium with music especialy

Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    i completly disagree,movies can take a story and elevate it to new hights,no matter how good a book is,its story can always be improved in a visual medium with music especialy
    That's not disagreeing with me :P That's a different point.

I'm fine with adapting some works. I'm just also fine with NOT adapting some works, and making something new instead. In this case in particular, I think a lot of the material taken into a film medium would just lose too much to remain interesting; while gaining fairly little, because it's not about spectacle at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    That's not disagreeing with me :P That's a different point.

I'm fine with adapting some works. I'm just also fine with NOT adapting some works, and making something new instead. In this case in particular, I think a lot of the material taken into a film medium would just lose too much to remain interesting; while gaining fairly little, because it's not about spectacle at all.
    well i mean that i disagree with the ''books are fine just to exist as books'',i think any book can be improved if done well on the screen

well i mean that i disagree with the ''books are fine just to exist as books'',i think any book can be improved if done well on the screen
    You disagree because you didn't read correctly; I didn't say "books are fine to just exist as books", I said "the books are fine to just exist as books", as in the Dune books in particular. I wasn't making a general statement about ALL books.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Do you have some examples?
    do comics count?

one punch man,demon slayer are 2 examples that instantly come to mind as being imensly improved

silence of the lambs,the godfather,goodfellas

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    I don't know how much, but this movie isn't one for one from the book. Some trailers have already shown they are adding more to the movie.
    What do you think they are adding to the story?

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    What do you think they are adding to the story?
    more info/backstory. In one trailer there is dialog between Duncan and Paul that is not in the book.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

I didnt read the books but i have seen some synopsis videos about the story,uhm...can this story even be told in a few movies?wouldnt a tv series be better?

I have been really enjoying the expanse so far,and even that is gonna have some problems adapting future stories with a MUCH MUCH smaller timeskip
    I think two movies is enough. I would even say the 1984 movie did a decent job of telling the story in one movie. The thing about Herbert's writing style though is he does a lot of internal monologues and narrative diatribes which get into backstory of galactic politics, religion and things like that which becomes very hard to convey via film. So most of it can be left out which makes it easier to adapt to just a movie or two but at the same time you lose a lot of what actually makes the books compelling as a story/fictional universe/social commentary. Because Herbert was very well researched on a large number of topics which he used the books to give his own thoughts on quite a few subjects. Just to write the first book he spent around 4 years doing nothing but research and after he had already spent years being involved in things such as politics as a speech writer. So he was drawing on a lot of experience and knowledge when he got the idea to write the books.
    Last edited by Berndorf; 2021-09-12 at 02:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Berndorf View Post
    The thing about Herbert's writing style though is he does a lot of internal monologues and narrative diatribes which get into backstory of galactic politics, religion and things like that which becomes very hard to convey via film.
    [...]
    Just to write the first book he spent around 4 years doing nothing but research and after he had already spent years being involved in things such as politics as a speech writer. So he was drawing on a lot of experience and knowledge when he got the idea to write the books.
    It was also rejected by countless publishers before he managed to publish it, largely for that reason - it wasn't a dialogue-driven narrative of the kind you'd usually find in SF novels at the time. Dune was unusual in many ways; subject matter, cultural frameworks, writing style, etc. Sure you can distil the story down to a basic narrative (duke comes to planet, duke gets betrayed and dies, son of duke goes into hiding and starts guerilla war, duke's son wins and becomes emperor) but that's never been what Dune was really about. It's an exploration of messianic thinking, religious despotism, and the perils of prescience; mixed, of course, with a thinly veiled allegory about the resource war around oil at the time. But good luck getting THAT on the screen in a way that doesn't reduce it to trivial backdrop OR ham-fisted virtue signaling.

I'll wait and see how the movie turns out. Early reviews are more positive than I expected, to be honest, but I'll have to see it for myself.

5+ Year Old Account
    DUNE Cinema Intro + Q&A | TIFF 2021

TIFF Originals
    Sep 13, 2021

Q&A from 12:00
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbMBvesE3T4

Yeah, so glad of that

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    It's going to make it really boring to draw this movie out into two separate movies. Just make one movie with the extended edition DVD and blu ray.
    They already tried that. It became ambitious hot mess because this time around the book actually has more than enough material for two movies.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Berndorf View Post
    I think two movies is enough. I would even say the 1984 movie did a decent job of telling the story in one movie. The thing about Herbert's writing style though is he does a lot of internal monologues and narrative diatribes which get into backstory of galactic politics, religion and things like that which becomes very hard to convey via film. So most of it can be left out which makes it easier to adapt to just a movie or two but at the same time you lose a lot of what actually makes the books compelling as a story/fictional universe/social commentary. Because Herbert was very well researched on a large number of topics which he used the books to give his own thoughts on quite a few subjects. Just to write the first book he spent around 4 years doing nothing but research and after he had already spent years being involved in things such as politics as a speech writer. So he was drawing on a lot of experience and knowledge when he got the idea to write the books.
    That's really the thing about the Dune books. The physical story is largely a vehicle for Herbert's own exposition on a multitude of topics. I recently reread books 3-6 since I hadn't read them in a while and got the urge with the movie coming out and the only book out of those that I think would pass as a solid movie is book 5 which has a lot of action which pushes the story forward but the problem is that book 6 is the second half of that story and would be one of the most boring movies ever made. Book 3 would sort of pass if done really well too but it's sort of a slow burn until towards the end.
    Last edited by Berndorf; 2021-09-20 at 01:17 AM.

Watched it, would give it 8/10 and now waiting for the part 2, if that ever comes.
    The scale was there to make you feel that we really are talking about galactic empire, symbolism, design (how spaceships can look utterly different from the usual scifi ones), also how everything looked, for lack of better word, realistic. Music was bit over the top, but appropriate.

Should have had more mentat stuff since they are so very important, it was barely there, though I suppose new watchers would already be quite confused at time if they never read book/watched 1984 movie, some pacing was off (the duel imho could have totally been skipped, that whole section was way too drawn out and pretty much showed how unreasonable moron/stupid traditions looks like) and, of course, cliffhanger ending - still better than trying to stuff the whole book in single movie, that would not have worked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

watched it a solid 5/10

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    watched it a solid 5/10
    Really? What didnt you like about it?

Was it abit stuffy and pretentious or something? Thats my only concern

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Really? What didnt you like about it?

Was it abit stuffy and pretentious or something? Thats my only concern
    a bit wishy washy with the premonitions and too fast for me to be an epic. also very disappointing cliff hanger, you have all these huge set pieces and it ends on that cmon. absolutely wooden dialogue. some of the music was well off. I literally watched it a few hours ago and have already forgotten most of it, defo will never watch again but on the plus side it wasnt really a slog or anything. I cant imagine if you havent read dune you really have much of a clue what the fuck is going on.

I dont think Dune goes well into a 2h 30 movie.

How’d you see it?
    It's out in most of Europe.

How’d you see it?
    Sorry, what do you mean?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Industrial heart of the USSR... now torn apart
    Yarr, mateys. I made a bigger post in the "last movie I saw" thread, 8.5/10 because of missing plot parts, great otherwise. I got to agree with the guy above who rated it 5/10 on the point that Dune doesn't fit into a movie, too much got omitted. Gief 5-hour Villeneuve cut!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobleshield View Post
    It's not 2004. People have lives, jobs, families etc