Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NED funded View Post
    A good chunk of modern anti racist stuff is braindead
    In that even a smooth-brained idiot can tell that anti-racism is pretty standard decent stuff, and it takes a particular kind of hateful sadism to think otherwise, maybe.

Otherwise, nah.

Quote Originally Posted by Levelfive View Post
    Moving on in our installment, this is from a couple days ago: Michigan Republicans Are Quietly Replacing Officials Who Certify Vote Totals
    Straight-up unabashed totalitarianism (another accusation that they fling at the opposition at the drop of a hat, by the way; oops).

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Admission standards are not curriculum and these actions are being passed for pre-college education in which the right wing is trying to stop kids from learning about history. Critical race theory is a grad school level class and theory it's been around for decades it's just an excuse to white wash history and further a racist agenda.
    Well, it's not as if they can come right out and admit that they're the ones who have been out to indoctrinate students all along, right? That, after all, would reflect poorly on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    In that even a smooth-brained idiot can tell that anti-racism is pretty standard decent stuff, and it takes a particular kind of hateful sadism to think otherwise, maybe.

Otherwise, nah.
    I mean, part of the point of a suppression tactic is that it doesn't actually have to constitute a sound argument. Still: good job reading it to filth; that's about all that you can do with those.

Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    "We're against cancel culture"

(Unironically bans multiple schools of thought)

It's just so far beyond self-satire at this point.
    Was about to say...

Also... Where's this "creeping" authoritarianism you're talking about OP? All I see is full on fascism.

Admission standards are not curriculum and these actions are being passed for pre-college education in which the right wing is trying to stop kids from learning about history.

I am not saying its being taught to grade schoolers just what the concept is about. DEI is literally racial discrimination brought back but woke

Critical race theory is a grad school level class and theory it's been around for decades it's just an excuse to white wash history and further a racist agenda.
    Until before leftists went crazy in the last couple of years, Critical Race Theory was an obscure field barely anyone except those directly involved even heard about

Not teaching it is not white washing history or whatever. I don't mind teaching some of the racist horrors the US has done, its due time, but critical race theory isn't about that but the bias in which you look at it

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Levelfive View Post
    I was going to put this in the Trump Shitshow thread, but of course it's well beyond Trump now. In their race to head off CRT--which is already NOT being taught in grade schools--lest people learn factual history, here's a list of banned words in a bill Wisconsin Republicans passed on Tuesday:

Additional Terms
    Additional terms and concepts below that either wholly violate the above clauses, or which may if
    taught through the framework of any of the prohibited activities defined above, partially violate the
    above clauses in what is otherwise broadly defined as “critical race theory”:

Although I do think it would be great if everyone (but Republicans in particular) stopped using the word "woke," banning words altogether is not a great look for the ProudEagleFreedomGunPatriot party. No, it doesn't matter if it won't become law under Evers. Yes, these people are so utterly terrified at the thought of losing their place atop the prevailing hierarchy that they are dead serious about overthrowing democracy and imposing their batshit banal evil on the rest of us. It is an attack on their brithright, after all, to have to share power and the protections and rights in the Constitution with brown people, LGBTQ people, women, and, most unthinkable of all, Democrats.
    The right-wing is indeed based on authoritarianism and traditional hierarchies so yeah that's what they always want. However society and government is dominated by centrist liberals and centrist conservatives, which isn't perfect but still very reasonable. Thinking the far right wing is about to attain the power to control society indicates either hyperbole/drama or the presence of paranoia.
    Last edited by PC2; 2021-10-24 at 10:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am not saying its being taught to grade schoolers just what the concept is about. DEI is literally racial discrimination brought back but woke
    The idea that "diversity, equity, and inclusion" is somehow racist is an argument that only makes any kind of sense if you're starting from an internalized presumption of white supremacy as the rightful status quo.

You're pushing white supremacy, here. That's your entire argument. That including and respecting other groups is "discrimination" against the white folks who "deserve" all the advantages that are now being shared equitably. That's literally what you're saying.

Until before leftists went crazy in the last couple of years
    Literally didn't happen. You're making shit up.

Critical Race Theory was an obscure field barely anyone except those directly involved even heard about
    It was right-wingers going Trumpian that led to right-wingers throwing unwarranted fits about CRT.

It had fuck-all to do with "leftists" whatsoever.

If you want to address affirmative action feel free but these are private institutions putting those quotas not the government.

Until before leftists went crazy in the last couple of years, Critical Race Theory was an obscure field barely anyone except those directly involved even heard about

Not teaching it is not white washing history or whatever. I don't mind teaching some of the racist horrors the US has done, its due time, but critical race theory isn't about that but the bias in which you look at it
    False, the narrative is entirely fabricated by the right wing Trumpists who were looking for an excuse to push their racist indoctrination of children. Again IT'S A GRAD SCHOOL PROGRAM IT WAS NEVER TAUGHT TO CHILDREN THE OUTRAGE IS PURE BULLSHIT.

False, the narrative is entirely fabricated by the right wing Trumpists who were looking for an excuse to push their racist indoctrination of children. Again IT'S A GRAD SCHOOL PROGRAM IT WAS NEVER TAUGHT TO CHILDREN THE OUTRAGE IS PURE BULLSHIT.
    You're looking for accountability. You're not going to find any. It would defeat the purpose.

You got those Leftist! They've gone so crazy with CRT in the last few years that it's only ever Republicans talking about it! And none of the ones talking about it, or the rabble they have protesting it for them seem to understand what it is but that won't stop them from being afraid of it!

But it is definitely the Left who has gone crazy in the last few years. Yes sir! And wokeness. Oh boy, Wokeness. Another term that can't be described by the Right that they are so afraid of!

Boy oh boy, the Left sure has gone crazy talking about wokeness and CRT during rallies. And their followers! Boy, how uptight they get with their hooting and hollering! Definitely the Lefts making fools out of themselves!

Oh wait, no, that is also Republicans.

Let's face it. Republicans are afraid of everything they don't understand, and that's a LOT of things.

I can tell you've never taken any DEI training because if you did you'd realize how horseshit your take is on it. But we'll just add that to the long list of things you don't understand.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, how dare our children learn from our history to so as to give our nation a better future.
    Putin khuliyo

It still IS that. It's just that the right has hijacked the term and rebranded it as "any and all race-adjacent cultural grievances"
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    "But if you say something bad about Trumpbook on Trumpbook, Trumpbook will ban you."

...is Trumpbook what we're calling it? Trumpspace? Instatrump? Trumptok?
    I'm gonna call it Safespace.

This list brought to you by: The same people who invoke Orwell any time someone suggests that words and definitions change with the cultures that use them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    It still IS that. It's just that the right has hijacked the term and rebranded it as "any and all race-adjacent cultural grievances"
    Irony is, people like that can probably point to some lefty proposing they teach kids CRT (by which they mean awareness of racial issues in the country)...because right-wing propagandists have normalized using the term that way.
    Last edited by s_bushido; 2021-10-24 at 10:20 PM.

How did "leftists go crazy, exactly?

- - - Updated - - -

A good chunk of modern anti racist stuff is braindead and a good chunk of concepts are poorly defined so yeah it shouldnt be taught to children until a couple of years when these new concepts get fleshed out more at least
    I understand a lot of this stuff just fine. Maybe the problem is you're having trouble figuring it out?

It sounds good in concept but in essence its the idea that race is more important than merit

Its becoming more common with college admissions
    Do you have evidence for this claim?
    Banned from Twitter by Elon, so now I'm your problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brexitexit View Post
    I am the total opposite of a cuck.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    The idea that "diversity, equity, and inclusion" is somehow racist is an argument that only makes any kind of sense if you're starting from an internalized presumption of white supremacy as the rightful status quo.

You're pushing white supremacy, here. That's your entire argument. That including and respecting other groups is "discrimination" against the white folks who "deserve" all the advantages that are now being shared equitably. That's literally what you're saying.
    I'm strongly reminded of how in the late 1990s and early 2000s how being a feminist was equated with being a female supremacist based entirely on the idea that society was post-sexism... somehow... so to continue to push for egalitarianism was asking for "special privileges".

Obviously shitty and reactionary stance is obvious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Zython View Post
    How did "leftists go crazy, exactly?
    The likeliest argument will be about either the former inhabitant of the White House, or social media. Count on it.

I understand a lot of this stuff just fine. Maybe the problem is you're having trouble figuring it out?
    The mindset in question certainly seems rather strongly correlated with calling everything it doesn't understand "stupid," at any rate.

Do you have evidence for this claim?
    I'm sure it feels true to them, and that's all that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    I'm strongly reminded of how in the late 1990s and early 2000s how being a feminist was equated with being a female supremacist based entirely on the idea that society was post-sexism... somehow... so to continue to push for egalitarianism was asking for "special privileges".
    Literally every human rights movement, throughout history, has been spun as an "attack" on the designated worthy. (And spun, in the same breath, as a display of weakness and hypersensitivity.) Just saying.

The difference between sexism and racism is that sexism is something whose effects are easily observable and its causality can be determined.

With racism its much harder to make a distinction between is this person just poor or is systematic racism the issue here.

A lot of the issues I have with anti racism and that whole Ibraham Kendi, DiAngelo stuff is that to them is racist. To use DiAngelo as an example since she has best writing books about the issue, if you are a white woman and cry, that is an act of potential violence to people of colour (This is literally what DiAngelo says btw) or that all racial disparities are the result of racism ignoring all context.

10+ Year Old Account
    The difference between sexism and racism is that sexism is something whose effects are easily observable and its causality can be determined.

With racism its much harder to make a distinction between is this person just poor or is systematic racism the issue here.
    There is no such distinction. They're the same issue, and identifiable in the same manner.

There's a simple way to determine if systemic racism exists; are there identifiable demographic inequities between ethnic groups, in society? That's an objective binary question. If "yes", then systemic racism is the only real explanation. If there are proportionally more poor black or hispanic people, then there is systemic racism present. The only other explanation is that those groups are someone definitively inferior in a way that explains the discrepancy, and that's just straight-up racism on the part of those pushing that, rather than systemic racism in society.

It's that easy to identify. And works the same for systemic sexism; you just shift to examining based on gender lines rather than ethnic ones. Or LGBT groups, and systemic homophobia/transphobia/etc. It's simply not that complicated to work out.

A lot of the issues I have with anti racism and that whole Ibraham Kendi, DiAngelo stuff is that to them is racist. To use DiAngelo as an example since she has best writing books about the issue, if you are a white woman and cry, that is an act of potential violence to people of colour (This is literally what DiAngelo says btw) or that all racial disparities are the result of racism ignoring all context.
    Yeah, no. You're just lying, here. DiAngelo has not said that "white women crying is racist". Just absolute fucking looney tunes horseshit.

There is a metric buttload of context to her points on white fragility that you're cutting out, dishonestly, because you want to push a pro-racism agenda for some godforsaken reason.

Wait. When has that changed?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Wait. When has that changed?
    #MeToo.

The main difference is that the media largely stopped pushing the post-sexism narrative as strongly. In terms of the actual system or the number of shitheads being misogynist for lulz, not much has changed.

- - - Updated - - -

It really isn't. Maybe if you spent less time bitching about CRT and more time actually educating yourself about systemic racism you'd understand that.

"A lot of the issues I have with anti-racism stem from the fact my understanding of the subject is derived entirely from second-hand accounts provided by professional ragemongers on social media rather than actually having read of the literature I'm complaining about" is entirely a you problem, dude.
    Last edited by Elegiac; 2021-10-25 at 07:17 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.