Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Well, it's officially crap for me, this show had a good run for 2.5 seasons and the first episode of season 4 killed it for me
    Jumping the shark even harder than s2 ending+last season? Idk if I should bother.

So we got pass the first episode.. and we are on the verge of the next "big bad thing" of the season that Michael will figure out. I am guessing we will get one more episode that really exposes the "big bad thing" until....

We get about 8 or so episodes of really odd filler that progresses the "big bad thing" mostly in the last 5 minutes of each episode.

Before we get to the last 2 or 3 episodes when Michael figures out the "big bad thing". Probably after somehow doing something totally ridiculous and everyone thinks it was a huge mistake but it just works out because you know Michael.

Hopefully this time its not sad kid again. Like in the mirror universe sad kid got sad and his sadness was worse because its the bad universe and his sadness made both universes way sad. Then our sad kid goes to their sad kid and both live happy without sadness.
    Last edited by Low Hanging Fruit; 2021-11-19 at 02:10 AM.

This episode both felt trek and terribly discovery at the same time.

The main focus definitely felt trek. Reaching out to aliens, making friends, saving stations from anomalies. I still think the admiral is the best admiral trek has had, which isn't hard as most have been incompotent or evil. Honestly I like the far future setting.

But then we get the sillyness of the camera stuff, the rapid fire technobabble that feels like its going "look we're smart" and apparently GPS satelites that need dilithium with no alternative power source found in 300 years for something we have today. Of course there's the big galactic doom thing and michael always being brought up in alien politics. Cause when mikey's not on screen people must talk about mikey.

Also I find it amusing the bridge is casually on fire and flinging rocks while the shields are still at 50%.

10+ Year Old Account
    The big secret reveal from Season 3 was so fucking bad and terribly written I do not know if I can handle watching season 4. I think ill wait till Strange New Worlds and then maybe come back to Discovery.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    There was a collective groan when the cause of the Burn appeared.
    Not sure if its just me but the president might as well had a Neon sign saying "Dont trust me".
    Normally admirals pick captains yet all of a sudden she's vetting people for a new ship?

The new episode was fine. Weird stuff happens, Starfleet goes there to fix it, episode ends with new impending catastrophe.

Two issues:
    The new uniforms are too pastel and not pastel enough. I prefer the more subdued uniforms of TNG/DS9/VOY but the new ones are sort of loud and boring. If we’re going for big colours, do it boldly like TOS.
    No Jett Reno.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    The new episode was fine. Weird stuff happens, Starfleet goes there to fix it, episode ends with new impending catastrophe.

Two issues:
    The new uniforms are too pastel and not pastel enough. I prefer the more subdued uniforms of TNG/DS9/VOY but the new ones are sort of loud and boring. If we’re going for big colours, do it boldly like TOS.
    No Jett Reno.
    I don't understand what you mean. The new uniforms are not pastel at all. They in fact have pretty much the same colours as the TNG ones.

But yeah, I agree with you. It's a great start but it suffers from the lack of Jett Reno's dry wit.

And I just can't stand the two lovebirds... Fusional couples are so cringy.

The President might become my favorite new character of the season.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by oathy View Post
    There was a collective groan when the cause of the Burn appeared.
    Not sure if its just me but the president might as well had a Neon sign saying "Dont trust me".
    Normally admirals pick captains yet all of a sudden she's vetting people for a new ship?
    Well, eight centuries have passed since the 24th century. Things should have changed much more than that during that period. Maybe the President of the UFP has a word about promotions. Especially since the UFP is rebuilding and needs captains that can also act as good diplomats.

And we still don't know where Kovich fits in all that.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Yeah, anyone expecting anything more than this puzzles me, if they've watched every episode to date. Its basically the entire formula for the series, so much so that it made me chuckle at how obviously the first episode of season 4 unravelled. Its just dumb, kinda fun, Star Trek. I expect nothing less from Star Trek as a whole.
    I always expect better but I could say the same for every Trek series. Hope for the best, hopefully the worst will be tolerable.

If I have a current beef with DSC (and Picard) is that live Trek is currently getting beat up by animated Trek. Lower Decks evokes nostalgia better while being wildly enthusiastic about Trekkin’. Prodigy is also a lot of fun. It feels too much like Star War animation but it’s still centred around exploration with a bunch of goofs being shepherded by the delightly unflappable Holojaneway.

If I have a current beef with DSC (and Picard) is that live Trek is currently getting beat up by animated Trek. Lower Decks evokes nostalgia better while being wildly enthusiastic about Trekkin’.
    AND making fun of Trek cliches. It's rare for a 'spoof' to be able to both make fun off and at the same time outline the best parts of the original material.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    So, the sort of "reveal" at the end of episode 2, I feel like I've actually seen this before... or I'm imagining things lol

Spoiler: 

Also interesting incorporation of the Picard series.
    A space vagina?

Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    A space vagina?
    Looks more like an eye, imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think I found the perfect new theme song for Discovery...it's absolutely positively perfect!

15+ Year Old Account
    I love Star Trek, but I finally give up on this tv show.
    They are pushing too much that weird ass couple with one being in her(his?) head.
    I mean, I'm no LGBT hater, I actually liked the doc and engineer gay story as they are both interesting characters, but those two kids are just terrible actors and serve no purpose at all.
    I started fast forwarding this season but just can't get bothered continuing to watch. Michael is not really a character either, but more of a universe savior. Predictable, boring and too much woke, way too much woke.

After getting sidetracked by Succession I caught up on Disco and its great to see Jett's triumphant return. I am saddened to find out that Tig took a reduced role this season because of Covid. Bonus points for more Kovich.

I am also pleased to see that we're still Trekkin' here. Five episodes in and they've managed to keep the fighting to a minimum and not the focus of any episode.

Still not sure what's particularly woke about Discovery relative to other Trek shows.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    After getting sidetracked by Succession I caught up on Disco and its great to see Jett's triumphant return. I am saddened to find out that Tig took a reduced role this season because of Covid. Bonus points for more Kovich.

I am also pleased to see that we're still Trekkin' here. Five episodes in and they've managed to keep the fighting to a minimum and not the focus of any episode.

Still not sure what's particularly woke about Discovery relative to other Trek shows.
    I agree

Oh, how I wish Discovery was as woke as, say, ENT. Where they went out of their way to demonstrate how humans have only two sexes, and what the actual third sex might look like in some alien species.

Or all the other Trek shows with gay couples being gay. Discovery is kinda mild in that area, a couple of gays, a single single lesbian - this is not enough. Not to mention that there's only one human with pronoun issues, unlike all the other Trek shows which are more representative of such a common contemporary issue.

Also, all other Trek shows with no exception had more women on the bridge and in positions of power. But I understand it was the time when women were oppressed by the patriarchy and it was indeed needed to educate the people.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

I agree

Oh, how I wish Discovery was as woke as, say, ENT. Where they went out of their way to demonstrate how humans have only two sexes, and what the actual third sex might look like in some alien species.

Or all the other Trek shows with gay couples being gay. Discovery is kinda mild in that area, a couple of gays, a single single lesbian - this is not enough. Not to mention that there's only one human with pronoun issues, unlike all the other Trek shows which are more representative of such a common contemporary issue.

Also, all other Trek shows with no exception had more women on the bridge and in positions of power. But I understand it was the time when women were oppressed by the patriarchy and it was indeed needed to educate the people.
    I’m glad to see your growth as a human being. No need to take offence at everything and just accept that it’s a decent show where we get to science the shit out of things and also diplomacy the shit out of things.

Not sure which character has pronoun issues though.

10+ Year Old Account
    I’m glad to see your growth as a human being. No need to take offence at everything and just accept that it’s a decent show where we get to science the shit out of things and also diplomacy the shit out of things.
    It was a decent show first couple of seasons. Then it went downhill.
    There's no diplomacy - there are people talking to people about pointless shit.
    There's little to no science - just people talking to people about how brilliant of a scientist they are in sciency decorations. After the Burn explanation - the science literally died in the show.
    In the last episode with prisoners, my god what a pointless drawn-out, and stupid arc. And the diplomacy was "You are gonna be a refugee cause you are white evil male", she didn't say that - but that's how she acted it.

Not sure which character has pronoun issues though.
    How dare you forget about they! The jewels of the show! Trill boy and his symbiont in a human girl. There I said it. I have eyes, I can see. The boy is now a robot, like Picard. So we can have more of it.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

It was a decent show first couple of seasons. Then it went downhill.
    There's no diplomacy - there are people talking to people about pointless shit.
    There's little to no science - just people talking to people about how brilliant of a scientist they are in sciency decorations. After the Burn explanation - the science literally died in the show.
    In the last episode with prisoners, my god what a pointless drawn-out, and stupid arc. And the diplomacy was "You are gonna be a refugee cause you are white evil male", she didn't say that - but that's how she acted it.

How dare you forget about they! The jewels of the show! Trill boy and his symbiont in a human girl. There I said it. I have eyes, I can see. The boy is now a robot, like Picard. So we can have more of it.
    So when it was trying to be a Star Wars show?

There’s lots of diplomacy on the show. Why is it pointless? Do you need more explosions? Does Michael Bay need to save Star Trek from itself?

Star Trek has never been a hard science fiction show. Whenever something bizarre happens I ask myself if it’s anymore nuts than Charlie Evans. I rarely, if ever, see anything that is. Just as long as the crew view it as a problem to be solved I am reasonably content.

What a pretty good episode where we got to watch Burnham and Booker solve some traps while trying to uphold Federation values of rehabilitation. I don’t know where you’re getting this odd racial component from.

I didn’t forget about Adira and Gray. I just don’t think they have a pronoun issue. They are what they is.

10+ Year Old Account
    There’s lots of diplomacy on the show. Why is it pointless? Do you need more explosions? Does Michael Bay need to save Star Trek from itself?
    Yes, it is certainly about the lack of explosions. Otherwise, there's nothing to be diplomatic about. Need more exploding planets.
    Star Trek has never been a hard science fiction show.
    Really now? Do you mean Star Wars? Because Star Trek has always been the hardest sci-fi show on the block.
    Whenever something bizarre happens I ask myself if it’s anymore nuts than Charlie Evans. I rarely, if ever, see anything that is. Just as long as the crew view it as a problem to be solved I am reasonably content.

What a pretty good episode where we got to watch Burnham and Booker solve some traps while trying to uphold Federation values of rehabilitation. I don’t know where you’re getting this odd racial component from.
    Well, I'm quite aware that there are different levels of content and its consumers
    I didn’t forget about Adira and Gray. I just don’t think they have a pronoun issue. They are what they is.
    That is not English.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't really care about this whole LGBTQWTF thing going on, but Blu del Barrio.. She has the most punchable face I've ever seen in any show, period. She managed to take over that position from Burnham.
    Hi