Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    The best part is that the guy has the gall to boast about his atrociously written concoction being "the end of a chapter that started with WC3" or something. Even 12 years olds are more convincing at lying... Or maybe he's really full of #$&% and he actually believes what he's saying
    Oh he absolutely believes what he's saying. His entitlement is comical at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Shefu View Post

And that's the problem here. All the attention this character got was because he was trans. Not an interesting story, nothing. Just hey, I'm trans....so yay.

To be fair Danuser's writing is like that of a 12 year old. If his story direction was questionable in BFA, it went full teenager in SL which is a God damn shame. 15+ of good lore down the drain.

To be fair, the character being trans or not should be irrelevant to it's importance within the story. It's a trait like any other trait.
    All I can see are those writers being disconnected from their own reality thinking "maybe if we add a trans that'll show how progressive ($$$$$$) we are. It's a fake addition at most (because blizzard cant be trusted with any inclusive initiative, of course). In my honest opinion, fake inclusion is morally worse than exclusion.

BfA had an interesting story for the most part (unpopular opinion, I know. Despite all incongruences, I like how Jaina and Zandalari plot lines were explored), especially comparing it retroactively with this load of bullsh*t we're getting now. Everything is about cheesy and grandiose explosions in the universe, without any conducting plotline. This happens, then this happens, and then this happens. There's no consequences to any of the plot lines.

As Matt Stone and Trey Parker once put it on an interview, a good story must have cause and consequence. This happens BECAUSE that happened before. And because this is happening, something else will come out of this. It's as simple as this formula. Danuser prefers to slap some sh*t into the table and be done with it so he can spend the rest of the day doing God knows what
    Last edited by Ikza; 2021-11-22 at 07:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alanar View Post
    Lets be honest... the guy is full of emotions, he constantly struggeling and unsure all the time and he still doesn't strike me as some one worthy of such heavy duty. I mean the emotions will just get in the way.. and it might even danger the progress if you think about it. Why thrust him with such a thing?
    I think that will be played as him truly understanding what a person feels, rather than just being an impassionate machine and all that jazz. Like as a man of the people, someone that will truly understand due to experience. Of course, he will now have all the omnipresence of the Arbiter so I think it's granted he will be fully "awake" and in a higher place of conciousness. I think it works, but again, I think the Arbiter should have been abolished.

I agree on Uther, he has a pretty interesting duty, to make sure there is some one there to lead the newly added forsworn and it suits him.
    I hope Uther becomes a Paragon someday.

I was one of the people who thought.. why try to fix that broken system and the arbiter was part of that.
    Pretty much. As much as I do think Pelagos is not a bad choice in narrative terms, I just don't think we needed an Arbiter. Like yes, I do believe that actually having a mortal soul become that judge is better than a machine narrative wise, but yeah.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    How would that work? How many souls that need to repent and adjust their attitudes would willingly go to Revendreth?
    Kinda incomplete though on my end. I was thinking more choices than just being sent to an specific afterlife, like the Arbiter gives you a set of possibilities based on his judgement. Less so "you can do whatever you want", just more options. Now, some souls would be kinda straight offered Revendreth and nowhere else, but I also think peacing out of existence should be a choice now there's no necessity for a Maw. Like "you wanna redeem yourself or just yeet yourself from existence?"

Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    [SPOILERS HEAVY]

...because I personally think that's lame.

https://www.wowhead.com/news/new-arb...poilers-324986

Pelagos is just one of the meaningless characters in the Shadowlands. Personally I'd rather even see Sylvanas or Tyrande doing that. Damn, even Arthas would have been a much more meaningful option.

Funny quote from the comments:

It's an analogy to the S8 GoT ending, which was pretty stupid also.
    So a character that has gotten very little development outside of his zone and the bare minimum while inside of his zone is going to take on the role of the Arbiter, which he has not proven by any means to be deserving of, WHILE there still is no confirmed cause for the Arbiter having shut-off in the first place.

Pelagos being Trans doesn't really matter at all, harping all that is just transphobic really.

But I still don't get it. I haven't done the full Bastion Cov campaign, does Pelagos get more screen time here?

What you do with him during the leveling part of Bastion is just how he is very unsure of himself, can't do any of the trials, and his emotions constantly spawn the Sha beasts.

Whats weirder is that he is a soulbind. But I recall something similar happening in Legion or WoD or something with a follower, and Blizzard replaced it with someone else?
    Last edited by Self Inflicted Wounds; 2021-11-23 at 01:22 AM.

5+ Year Old Account
    Let's not get into the whole Pelagos being trans topic. It's a non-issue that's never really brought up for any meritable reason.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

A non-issue that's not even heavily telegraphed. You have to initiate a side conversation to even have an idea, and even then understand between the lines what he's saying about his history. Fan sites drew more attention to it purely for clicks than the actual game did.

But frankly, on-topic, there is no version of who becomes the Arbiter that is a satisfying payoff, because the entire central conceit of the Arbiter and the lore surrounding their world is absolute dogshit.

Let's add in the fact that becoming the Arbiter isn't something to STRIVE towards. Your basically resigning eternity to be a half autonomous usher sitting in the center of a barely functional town telling souls where to go. You're not a leader your a taxi dispatcher with a little importance. I imagine becoming the Arbiter will remove more of your sentience then even being sent to Bastion would so Pelegos is essentially going to be a lifeless robot floating on top of Oribos passing bus tickets for all of eternity

A character with so little development that it has exactly one trait, which will no doubt be hyped for the same reasons as bowls of fruit.

@Soon-TM @Shefu His back is in serious danger from how hard he pats it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    "Orc want, orc take." and "Orc dissagrees, orc kill you to win argument."
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    The Horde is basically the guy that gets mad that the guy that they just beat the crap out of had the audacity to bleed on them.
    Why no, people don't just like Sylvie for T&A: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ery-Cinematic/

Quote Originally Posted by Lolites View Post
    well, shes not dead...
    but if you mean kill her so she can become arbiter im in
    There are many points in the story where her death was likely and would have made sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Rozz View Post
    Let's not get into the whole Pelagos being trans topic. It's a non-issue that's never really brought up for any meritable reason.
    I disagree. The whole NPC is meaningless, with almost no buildup or exposition, and seems to be a choice hastily made after the character that "groomed" for the role (Sylvanas probably) was rejected. Which begs the question - why was Pelagos chosen? And the automatic assumption is that because he's trans. I believe it's a pretty good assumption, considering the times we live in and how happy corporations are to talk about those subjects, and how inclusive they are. And because that's basically the only positive quality of that character. If you don't like this to be brought up then:
    - you are effectively forbidding to discuss the whole topic of Pelagos.
    - complain to Blizzard for gringing it up
    Last edited by procne; 2021-11-23 at 10:59 AM.
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post
    I disagree. The whole NPC is meaningless, with almost no buildup or exposition, and seems to be a choice hastily made after the character that "groomed" for the role (Sylvanas probably) was rejected. Which begs the question - why was Pelagos chosen? And the automatic assumption is that because he's trans. I believe it's a pretty good assumption, considering the times we live in and how happy corporations like to talk about those subjects, and how inclusive they are. And because that's basically the only positive quality of that character. If you don't like this to be brought up then:
    - you are effectively forbidding to discuss the whole topic of Pelagos.
    - complain to Blizzard for gringing it up
    ..you know Pelegos was probably chosen BECAUSE Blizz has no real plans for him but do have plans for Sylvannis. Think about it

*After this we have no real reason or way to go back to the Shadowlands nor should we.
    *Whoever becomes the Arbiter is probably going to be removed of anything personality or opinion wise and will be a neutral judge silently manuvering souls as they come so even in the Shadowlands politics they aren't important other than the rubber stamp on the ticket.
    *If Sylvannis is being groomed for ANYTHING it's probably a big fight with her hentai obsessed sister since it's been told since last expansion the void is scared of her and the power of death
    *Add in the fact the whole reveal is in some throwaway quest. Not an epic cutscenes or a quest line just "hey I'm going to be the Arbiter I volunteer" "lol don't but k"
    Last edited by Mysterymask; 2021-11-23 at 10:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterymask View Post
    ..you know Pelegos was probably chosen BECAUSE Blizz has no real plans for him but do have plans for Sylvannis. Think about it

*After this we have no real reason or way to go back to the Shadowlands nor should we.
    *Whoever becomes the Arbiter is probably going to be removed of anything personality or opinion wise and will be a neutral judge silently manuvering souls as they come so even in the Shadowlands politics they aren't important other than the rubber stamp on the ticket.
    *If Sylvannis is being groomed for ANYTHING it's probably a big fight with her hentai obsessed sister since it's been told since last expansion the void is scared of her and the power of death
    *Add in the fact the whole reveal is in some throwaway quest. Not an epic cutscenes or a quest line just "hey I'm going to be the Arbiter I volunteer" "lol don't but k"
    I would agree with all of this, if not for one thing. Pelagos had almost no exposition. If they planned him to take that role then he would have been presented more and would have been a major NPC. The fact that he has been chosen looks more like an emergency turn. And even then that's strange, because I can think of numerous bigger NPCs, who could have been used for that role:
    - Uther
    - Primus
    - Old arbiter reactivated
    - Elune, Ysera. Even Ursoc making a return
    - every covenant leader separately
    - covenant leaders merging into a new arbiter
    - the naaru from Revendreth (I even don't remember its name, but still a bigger guy than Pelagos)
    I agree any of the above choices would be pushing and would require some mental / lore gymnastics, but not any bigger than Pelagos. Which begs the question - why was Pelagos, of all of those characters, chosen.
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I think people are jumping to conclusions a bit. Leaving aside it could be bait for dataminers to hide the real story, Pelagos wouldn't be capable of the Arbiter's job alone. It's probably going to be a representative of each covenant working as a group, Guardian of Tirisfal style.

I agree any of the above choices would be pushing and would require some mental / lore gymnastics, but not any bigger than Pelagos. Which begs the question - why was Pelagos, of all of those characters, chosen.
    That's why topic cannot be separated from said issue, because Blizz going this direction leaves no other option. It's not an argument founded in logic to say a topic has nothing to do with an issue because the issue should not be important... when the people driving the story believe the exact opposite, and it's not a minor issue at all to Blizz (which is why they made a huge deal about the character to begin with). At best, it's a deflection argument that's used when there's no defense. Should it be about said issue? No, absolutely not. Is Blizz likely making it a core issue? All signs point to yes right now.

I suppose the choice of Pelagos could be completely random, but that's even more nonsensical. There are so many other characters that would make much more sense... but many of Blizz's recent gaming decisions are not made from a position of logic, but rather from a position of emotion and irrationality. While the aforementioned issue shouldn't be a deciding factor in all of this, there's no other logical conclusion that can be made at this time to suggest otherwise. I really wish there was a good lore reason for potentially selecting Pelagos for this role, but there's more lore reason to pick a random construct from Oribos and reprogram them to take over the job... or heck, just make another Arbiter construct to keep emotions out of it since apparently that was a problem.

Could all just be bait, but considering the state of Blizz and their current PR situation... that's not a good thing to do. In fact, I think it's quite the opposite considering their current direction and the vocal people on social media at Blizz.

As the heavily modified saying goes: If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, looks like a duck, and it says "Hey, I'm a duck!"... it's probably a duck.
    Last edited by exochaft; 2021-11-23 at 10:56 AM.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    The amount of stupid in the thread is staggering. Why do you give a rat ass about a woman deciding her soul should be male when you have souls who decide to be squirrels and deer for the rest of eternity? And don't try to shift blame over to blizzard, you idiots are the ones trying to make a non-issue suddenly matter despite knowing jack shit about how the story actually plays out.

Weird ass people always looking for any excuse to complain.

I would agree with all of this, if not for one thing. Pelagos had almost no exposition. If they planned him to take that role then he would have been presented more and would have been a major NPC. The fact that he has been chosen looks more like an emergency turn. And even then that's strange, because I can think of numerous bigger NPCs, who could have been used for that role:
    - Uther
    - Primus
    - Old arbiter reactivated
    - Elune, Ysera. Even Ursoc making a return
    - every covenant leader separately
    - covenant leaders merging into a new arbiter
    - the naaru from Revendreth (I even don't remember its name, but still a bigger guy than Pelagos)
    Honestly I can give a good answer to all those as why not

1. Uther: already showed bad judgement cannot be trusted

2. Primus:. Needed to run/keep order in Maldraxxus. Designed to do that.

3. Old Arbitor: this place is machine like ..old one is obviously flawed so new design needed.

4.Elune: only associated with realm of death through her sister incompatible

5. Ysera and Ursoc: Assuming Ursocs soul is still around beings of Ardenweld are meant for reincarnation. Can't be the Arbitor if your alive

6. Every covenant leader separately. Only ones built to judge and he needs to stay in his realm. Lack of neutrality.

7. Fuse ALL THE LEADERS. This isn't Yugioh. You can't cast Polymerization to make a bigger god

8. Naaru: not supposed to be there, naaru aren't known for their neutrality

10+ Year Old Account
    if that's true, i think it is lame, but it is no question 1502 times f8cking better than the rumors of bitch queen for title
    but now i'm worried what they plan for her then, if she won't be stuck as arbiter and forgotten, are they going to make her actually super mega smart and was fooling us and the jailer and herself and timmy the cruel and my little pony and knew what would happen all along and is in deal with the firster ones who were before the first ones who are birth from Danasur a88 ?
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

3. Old Arbitor: this place is machine like ..old one is obviously flawed so new design needed.
    Arbiter didn't fail, it got sabotaged.

Disregarding that, is Pelagos really the only character you can think who can replace the Arbiter?

How about Kyrestia, the Firstborne?
    As one of the Eternal Ones, she surely a bigger grasp of the Shadowlands, whose fate then effectively will rest in her hands, then you can have Kleia step up as new Leader of the Kyrian who will then make reforms because that whole "memory deletion" thing is kinda awkward.

You could also skip this entirely and say Kleia becomes Arbiter, who has been shown to be more competent than Pelagos.

Like honestly, do you mean to imply that there is virtually no character suited for the job as Arbiter in the enterity of the Shadowlands?
    Which then is frankly solely on the basis of not how capable Pelagos is, but rather of how unsuited everyone else is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rozz View Post
    I am sorry, but that implication frankly hangs upon this character the moment Blizzard decided to make a bluepost in order to clarify the pronouns of the character.
    Last edited by Kralljin; 2021-11-23 at 11:23 AM.

Honestly I can give a good answer to all those as why not

1. Uther: already showed bad judgement cannot be trusted

2. Primus:. Needed to run/keep order in Maldraxxus. Designed to do that.

4.Elune: only associated with realm of death through her sister incompatible

5. Ysera and Ursoc: Assuming Ursocs soul is still around beings of Ardenweld are meant for reincarnation. Can't be the Arbitor if your alive

6. Every covenant leader separately. Only ones built to judge and he needs to stay in his realm. Lack of neutrality.

7. Fuse ALL THE LEADERS. This isn't Yugioh. You can't cast Polymerization to make a bigger god

8. Naaru: not supposed to be there, naaru aren't known for their neutrality
    While I could argue those reasons for at least half of them, I will simply say Pelagos has bigger issues - he wasn't even able to deal with his memories / emotions and pass his aspirant trials on his own.