Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

"FreeHongKong" is now profanity according to WoW's chat filters.

Didn't we already teach you this lesson, old man??

https://wow.tools/dbc/?dbc=chatprofa...h=freehongkong

Edit: I was unaware that this only affects the Chinese client.
    Last edited by Amnaught; 2021-12-02 at 01:57 AM.

this really isn't surprising. chinese money is huge for actiblizz
    ...that's just my opinion, anyway.

All of this cosmological stuff is too boring for me. I'd like to get Warcraft back, please. my thing is killing defias and orcs.

As the east rises the west will learn to respect its sensibilities. I expect it will be a rude awakening to a certain crowd in the West.

so the one word with No spaces "freehongkong" is profanity. fair enough.....
    wait until they Meet my secret weapon: the_space_bar!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shin0mura View Post
    Wait for the rise of the variant numbers Fr33 H0ng K0ng :P
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Capitalism gonna capitalism. China has more potential customers than USA, Canada, UK and EU combined. If you want ALL the money (And every fucking business does at the expense of everything else, regardless of if you're a megacorp or that little corner shop), and you're looking beyond your petty national borders, you sell out to China faster than Superman can fly around the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Shin0mura View Post
    I really shouldn't have laughed at this as much as I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Amnaught View Post
    Didn't we already teach you this lesson, old man??

https://wow.tools/dbc/?dbc=chatprofa...h=freehongkong
    It has been for a while now, this isn't new in the slightest.

The reason it doesn't have spaces is because this is for the Chinese client (hence the "4" for language). You'll still be able to yell Free Hong Kong to your heart's content in any other region. Still shitty but if you want to get mad you should send a harshly worded letter to Mr. China to see if they'll consider relaxing their communist ways.

10+ Year Old Account
    Filtered because it likely causes more problems in chat channels than necessary. For what it's worth all of the filtered stuff is under ChatProfanity (most of which is Chinese) including COVID, COVID19, COVID-19.

I suppose they want people to talk about the game rather than real life. It's a choice on their part. I know that I get seriously annoyed when the main chat channel turns to politics or anything like that. Good riddance I say.

EDIT: Thanks Relapses for explaining the language code.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    The reason it doesn't have spaces is because this is for the Chinese client (hence the "4" for language). You'll still be able to yell Free Hong Kong to your heart's content in any other region. Still shitty but if you want to get mad you should send a harshly worded letter to Mr. China to see if they'll consider relaxing their communist ways.
    Yep, while Blizzard is the one updating/enforcing these filters, I'm pretty sure they're predefined by the Chinese government. There's definitely some blame to go to Blizz, but I'm guessing they wouldn't be allowed to ship WoW in China if they weren't doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Filtered because it likely causes more problems in chat channels than necessary. For what it's worth all of the filtered stuff is under ChatProfanity including COVID, COVID19, COVID-19. I suppose they want people to talk about the game rather than real life.

It's a choice on their part. I know that I get seriously annoyed when the main chat channel turns to politics or anything like that. Good riddance I say.
    Yeah, all the COVID stuff is also only blocked in China, so likely not Blizz's choice.

Previously tweeted about these kind of censors here, so this isn't really new, but still bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    Capitalism gonna capitalism. China has more potential customers than USA, Canada, UK and EU combined. If you want ALL the money (And every fucking business does at the expense of everything else, regardless of if you're a megacorp or that little corner shop), and you're looking beyond your petty national borders, you sell out to China faster than Superman can fly around the world.
    Agree. As long as China has $$$ to spend, these companies will be perfectly happy to be China's little lap dog.

That's why I don't understand why any America citizen supports any kind of tax break or bail out or special treatment for any of the businesses. They will sell you down the river in a heartbeat for a few $$$. They have no patriotism, pride or even respect for themselves. They are like crack heads, but money is their crack.

They basically have no morals. They can ignore China's abysmal civil rights record just for some profit. Look at Apple. Conditions so bad in their Chinese factories that workers kill themselves instead of going to work. Think of that for just a few seconds, let it sink in.

The people doing business there aren't broke or starving for dollars. They don't need that blood money. They already have billions, they are good- but they are just too greedy.

I also agree with the posters that say you better get used to this. Look at the bunglers we have as leadership in this country (both sides, they are the same really). There is no way those guys can beat China, not in a million years. China is already running rings around them, laughing all the way!

Blizzard: "Where we don't get political, until we do"

Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Just going to quote you to reiterate the message because people are awfully pitchforky about everything lately.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    I suppose they want people to talk about the game rather than real life.
    Except when they inject politics on their end. You can't be half-pregnant. Either you like having politics woven into the game, or you don't.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Alydael View Post
    Agree. As long as China has $$$ to spend, these companies will be perfectly happy to be China's little lap dog.

That's why I don't understand why any America citizen supports any kind of tax break or bail out or special treatment for any of the businesses. They will sell you down the river in a heartbeat for a few $$$. They have no patriotism, pride or even respect for themselves. They are like crack heads, but money is their crack.

They basically have no morals. They can ignore China's abysmal civil rights record just for some profit. Look at Apple. Conditions so bad in their Chinese factories that workers kill themselves instead of going to work. Think of that for just a few seconds, let it sink in.

The people doing business there aren't broke or starving for dollars. They don't need that blood money. They already have billions, they are good- but they are just too greedy.

I also agree with the posters that say you better get used to this. Look at the bunglers we have as leadership in this country (both sides, they are the same really). There is no way those guys can beat China, not in a million years. China is already running rings around them, laughing all the way!
    It really doesn't matter who is in charge. Even if both USA and China did everything correct China will win out simply because 1.4 Billion > 400 Million (population estimates). No one is going to militarily strike at a Nuclear power to keep it down, no one is going to put on a bunch of heavy sanctions on China either because it's going to self harm far too much.

As for the average american citizen. (Or any citizen for that matter) they would also not accept any sanction that leaves their lives harder just to spite a government over there somewhere. They'll buy the cheap stuff, mostly because it's all they can afford, while maybe if the conditions are right bitch about it online in a forum (not just gaming). Just in the end if real change comes from not buying things from China or another dictatorship where the costs are so low that if it were made in the west you'd need to spend 10x the amount. But that's also not reasonable to expect when people are living paycheque to paycheque.

Then there's one last thing, if any one of us was in the position to get that money. We'd all take it. In the end Every Man, Woman and Child has a price.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    Except when they inject politics on their end. You can't be half-pregnant. Either you like having politics woven into the game, or you don't.
    Politics has been in everything since well before the Pharoes looked over Egypt and thought "I should have a giant triangle shaped tomb to show off how much of a Deity I really am"

Quote Originally Posted by Alydael View Post

Keep pretending that Blizzard or Activision has any control whatsoever over what Netease and tencent do in another country. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    Depends on what laws they place in. they already limit ppl below 18 on how many hours they can play

Quote Originally Posted by Zentail View Post
    Just going to quote you to reiterate the message because people are awfully pitchforky about everything lately.
    Welcome to MMO Champion where some one post wonder figured out that artifact power exists to eventually get us used to slavery when China takes over with Ion at the helm and they would of gotten away with it if it wasn't for Saint Yoshi P and his army of cat girls

Seems bound to China only

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterymask View Post
    Welcome to MMO Champion where some one post wonder figured out that artifact power exists to eventually get us used to slavery when China takes over with Ion at the helm and they would of gotten away with it if it wasn't for Saint Yoshi P and his army of cat girls
    Square Enix would be the LAST company you’d ever want to praise in this regard