Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Yo, what new wars did Obama start? Tell me all about them in great detail, and how he usurped the authority of Congress to declare war without anyone noticing.
    Well, Libya - or what do you call it when bombing another country?
    And the congress noticed - https://www.congress.gov/bill/112th-...resolution/292 (fairly obvious given the bipartisanbipolar American politics).

Was it a justified war? Probably. Did it work as planned? No.

Does it make Obama equal to Trump? No.

In the meantime I am sitting here and still wondering why planes with pilots in them are somehow supposedly less worse than using drones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    In the meantime I am sitting here and still wondering why planes with pilots in them are somehow supposedly less worse than using drones.
    I mean...I've wondered that time to time. Until these things are fully AI, and I'm like 85% sure they aren't, but until they are the question is less "what weapon" and more "how accurate". Barring, you know, poison gas or depleted uranium or other shit.

If a target was standing in 100 square miles of open desert with zero other humans we could kill him by dropping a cargo plane full of Switch OLED's for all I care. If he has a civilian hostage, you don't use a bomb. Basically.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    I mean...I've wondered that time to time. Until these things are fully AI, and I'm like 85% sure they aren't, but until they are the question is less "what weapon" and more "how accurate". Barring, you know, poison gas or depleted uranium or other shit.

If a target was standing in 100 square miles of open desert with zero other humans we could kill him by dropping a cargo plane full of Switch OLED's for all I care. If he has a civilian hostage, you don't use a bomb. Basically.
    There is no AI. Drone is literally a remotely piloted aircraft. Pretty much the rules in choosing target and firing for a fighter jet pilot apply to drone operators as well. I can only guess why one is "worse" than the other.

This is without going into the legality of the airstrikes.
    Take that haters.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is no AI. Drone is literally a remotely piloted aircraft.
    That's what I thought, barring a few posts and articles I tripped over. I didn't think we'd invented Flying Terminator.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    That's what I thought, barring a few posts and articles I tripped over. I didn't think we'd invented Flying Terminator.
    Let me put it this way - AI does not exist. At all. Every time you see some product buzzwording about AI - it's a lie/marketing bs. It does not exist.
    And asides from AI there are no drones launching missiles on their own following their programming.
    Take that haters.

Let me put it this way - AI does not exist. At all. Every time you see some product buzzwording about AI - it's a lie/marketing bs. It does not exist.
    And asides from AI there are no drones launching missiles on their own following their programming.
    there is no AI you are right, but the Kargu-2 carried out an autonomous attack.

'The drone operator loads a set of target coordinates into the Kargu-2’s software. The drone then takes off and travels to the coordinates, searching for objects on the ground that fit the profile of preferred targets. Once the drone identifies a target, it swoops down on the target at high speed and detonates an onboard explosive package, with an effect similar to that of a shotgun blast.'

basically its a lingering munition.

Bloodsail Admiral
    3+ Year Old Account
    As far as I can tell the OP is somehow trying to make an argument that the US isn't doing enough drone strikes around the world. The problem is that it's based on the flawed premise that conflicts are static, and they very much are not. So you can't compare the statistics on activity for a conflict in 2016 during Trump's term to Biden's in 2021 and pretend that nothing has changed in the war during that time, as some sort of artificial ultra-flawed metric to compare Presidents.

Trump pulled almost all US troops from Syria, the Saudis are primarily leading the conflict in Yemen now, the Somali conflict has cooled down, etc. ....so *of course* there are going to be fewer US drone strikes in those places now. A lot of people in the West don't follow those international conflicts very closely but they have changed a lot over 5 years. US drone flights are just as active today as ever, they are just more recon flights near the Donbass in Ukraine or off the coast of Taiwan recently, since those are the current 'warm' areas for the US in 2021. Presidents also generally are not even part of the decision process on individual drone strikes during active conflicts unless it is a very special one like in the case of Soleimani. That's something handled by the US military and intelligence agencies at lower levels.

TLDR there are more US drone strikes during active conflicts that the US is currently involved in, shocking. And some war hawks are upset that Biden isn't drone bombing countries more that we aren't in conflict with currently.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biglog View Post
    As far as I can tell the OP is somehow trying to make an argument that the US isn't doing enough drone strikes around the world.
    Are you sure that is the correct explanation? I thought the OP was trying to make the case to anti-imperialist kind of people that the Democrats aren't as aggressive as Republicans and/or Trump. Some folks who hate the USA say both sides are warhawks and Milchshake is just presenting data to the contrary.
    Last edited by PC2; 2021-12-06 at 01:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    there is no AI you are right, but the Kargu-2 carried out an autonomous attack.

'The drone operator loads a set of target coordinates into the Kargu-2’s software. The drone then takes off and travels to the coordinates, searching for objects on the ground that fit the profile of preferred targets. Once the drone identifies a target, it swoops down on the target at high speed and detonates an onboard explosive package, with an effect similar to that of a shotgun blast.'

basically its a lingering munition.
    I don't really believe that case, there is a lot of bullshit and not enough information about the supposed attack. It's a primitive quad, I bet that operator is doing everything. Maybe it's some target locking and the drone keeps it on automatically, not that it actually chooses anything.
    Take that haters.