Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Question Is Vol'jin's story a waste of time?

Was just thinking about how long it's been taking to reach the culmination of Vol'jin's story.

From becoming warchief, dying after the Broken Shore, and almost 2 full expansions of "what's eating Vol'jin's ghost?" we still haven't reached the end.

And I can't help but think that it won't really matter how it ends. I don't think the culmination of his story will be significant at all to the big picture. I feel as if it's been thrown to the side (like a lot of cut content/forgotten storylines) and even though we're at the next step of him being reborn in Ardenweald as a loa... why should it matter at this point?

This isn't a thread for musing on Vol'jin supposedly deserving a better story arc, but just pointing out how his "side story" has ran parallel with BfA and Shadowlands, and it still hasn't really made any difference.

They do a really bad job at pacing and they give the appearance they're building up to something and it either A) never comes or B) isn't worth the suspense or C) takes so long by the time they deliver it you've stopped caring.

A - Vol'jin
    B - N'Zoth
    C - Sylvanas

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post
    Was just thinking about how long it's been taking to reach the culmination of Vol'jin's story.

From becoming warchief, dying after the Broken Shore, and almost 2 full expansions of "what's eating Vol'jin's ghost?" we still haven't reached the end.

And I can't help but think that it won't really matter how it ends. I don't think the culmination of his story will be significant at all to the big picture. I feel as if it's been thrown to the side (like a lot of cut content/forgotten storylines) and even though we're at the next step of him being reborn in Ardenweald as a loa... why should it matter at this point?

This isn't a thread for musing on Vol'jin supposedly deserving a better story arc, but just pointing out how his "side story" has ran parallel with BfA and Shadowlands, and it still hasn't really made any difference.
    At this point his story has no meaning until he is used as a plot point with whatever they got planned for the trolls in a future expansion.

Vol'jin is a professional short-end-of-the-stick-getter.

Vol'jin's story post-mortem is as follows:

• Legion: Who told Vol'jin to make Sylvanas Warchief?
    • Battle for Azeroth: Someone told Vol'jin to make Sylvanas Warchief (also he becomes a loa maybe?)
    • Shadowlands: Mueh'zala told Vol'jin to make Sylvanas Warchief.

There really doesn't seem to be any sort of story arc here other than the fact that he got horribly duped and damned nearly all of existence with his one dumb decision

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    They do a really bad job at pacing and they give the appearance they're building up to something and it either A) never comes or B) isn't worth the suspense or C) takes so long by the time they deliver it you've stopped caring.

A - Vol'jin
    B - N'Zoth
    C - Sylvanas
    You forgot them setting things up, after they've been fully resolved xD

OT: I forgot he even had a story... guess there was somethign to dow ith Mueh'zala?

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    I was under the impression that Vol'jin's story was basically wrapped up in the 9.0 Night Fae covenant campaign? We figure out who was behind his forced choice to promote Sylvanas (Mueh'zala under Zovaal's command), we address what's happened to him, and he enters a long sleep to presumably become a sort of reincarnation of Rezan now that he's absorbed that Loa's essence and entered into one Ardenweald's Wildseeds. Vol'jin will eventually be reborn as a Loa himself, taking his place in the Troll pantheon somewhere.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Vol'jin had a great story, his arc from Cataclysm to becoming Warchief was one of the best, but I think they realised that is always a bit of a dead (literally) end for character progression because the faction stories are fundamentally cyclical and the Warchief is so tied to the Horde identity. So, not count WoD for obvious reasons to all, they killed him off ASAP after fulfilling his arc so that he could start a new one.

Where this all goes a little bit wrong is Shadowlands running out of time so badly and the entire shit show that is Ardenweald. Which, every 3rd week, had the best story of any covenant and then, each of the other weeks, had the exact same (worst of all covenants) story about somebody being brainwashed and you going to pick berries before killing them anyway. Just copy-and-pasted week over week.

Muezalah, Vol'jin, Drust etc. They didn't tie any of the elements together. I honestly couldn't tell you why there is a giant gorm eating a Loa of Knowledge we'd never heard of in Mists of Tierna Scythe. Having an entire prequel book basically dedicated to Talanji, Zekhan, and Bwonsamdi was also pretty weird in retrospect given how little a role the former two ended up playing in what was, I'd imagine, a much richer story about how individual race's afterlives are handled as sub-domains of the SL.

Vol'jin was ruined like many other great Horde characters. It is a shame really now that he is a ghost he can't serve the Horde any longer as he was supposed to be.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grazrug View Post
    Vol'jin was ruined like many other great Horde characters. It is a shame really now that he is a ghost he can't serve the Horde any longer as he was supposed to be.
    just to show the utmost lack of respect the writers had to him.

Of course Danuser don't like a troll, and the fanbase, would of course, share his thoughts to have a hot elf as warchief, i wonder how happened to his surprise, that the community loved vol'jin and he was very important before Wod.

But since the wow writers don't play/know about wow lore, they didn't knew that

His appearance in BfA and shadowlands was a weak attempt to shut up the playerbase asking for something, they had no intentions to even give him the respect he deserves, thats why he was a completely meme in the troll expansion..

Vol'jin like other trolls should crawl back from the dead like many others did, because trolls never die, but they ruined that tidbit with those nonsenses afterlives as well.
    Last edited by Syegfryed; 2021-12-09 at 08:56 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    If you don't choose Night Fae, Vol'jin is completely missing from Shadowlands

That's fucking bonkers
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

Hironically. The History of Voljin is the history of the Horde.
    The story of a "monster, wild, Primitive" who really has a high code of honor and really seeks peace but without ceasing to be violent.

Voljin is the only leader who manages to make real peace with the Alliance.
    Voljin does not dedicate himself to attacking the Horde as Baien does.

But since it is clear Voljin died and with him dies every possibility that the Horde redeems itself before the same horde, the players and the Alliance.

So not for me Voljin is not a waste of time. The other stories are the waste of time that separated us from the original story of the Horde.

Vol'jin's what now?

Vol'jin will be reborn on Azeroth, not Ardenweald, and bring with him the Shadow Hunter class.

I thought it was kind of dumb that he is a significant part of the Night Fae campaign, yet alliance players miss out on a big part of his storyline in BFA that bridges the gap. Like it's implied he replaced Re'zan as the loa of kings... but why would alliance players care about this?

Quote Originally Posted by Varolyn View Post
    I thought it was kind of dumb that he is a significant part of the Night Fae campaign, yet alliance players miss out on a big part of his storyline in BFA that bridges the gap. Like it's implied he replaced Re'zan as the loa of kings... but why would alliance players care about this?
    Well, if Shadow Hunter becomes a playable class, some Alliance races will probably have access to it. My bet is on Drust if they ever become playable.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Varolyn View Post
    blizzard part the assumption the player will play in both factions and play all the covenants, they don't give a shit about someone who don't, the contnt in this game is not designed to two factions anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    just to show the utmot lack of respect the writrs had to him.

Of course Danuser don't like a troll,a nd the fanbase, would of course, share his thoughts to have a hot elf as warchief, i wonder how happened o his surprise the community loved vol'jin and he was very important before Wod.

But since the wow writers don't play/know about wow lore, they didn't knew that

His appearance in BfA and shadowlands was a weak attempt to shut up the playerbase asking for something, they had no intentions to even give him the respect he deserves, thats why he was a completely meme in the troll expansion..

Vol'jin like other trolls should crawl back from the dead like many others did, because trolls never die, but they ruined that tidbit with those nonsenses afterlives as well.
    Vol'jin should play a bigger role in the expansion. The utter disrespect Blizzard has for trolls is shameful. Trolls deserve better then what they got.

Quote Originally Posted by Grazrug View Post
    Vol'jin should play a bigger role in the expansion. The utter disrespect Blizzard has for trolls is shameful. Trolls deserve better then what they got.
    Something all fans have to do is stop complaining about Kaldore fans "and other fans" and start claiming that they deserve decent lore as well.

I'm not talking about a happy ending and super powers. I speak of a complete and core lore. Something similar to the W3 (If it is not asking a lot, it is asking for a 7/10 milestone)

What they did with the ending of Talanji at BFA is Just stupid.

Despite Vol'jin having among the best out of game materials attached to him, from his character stories to his book I don't think any of the writing teams liked him very much. He was made Warchief solely because Green Jesus was about as popular as foot fungus after his stint as not-Aspect in Cataclysm, but denied any confrontation with Garrosh and denigrated even in his own expansion elevating him when the Alliance badmouths him and he never gets to follow up on shooting the heart. They just needed someone who's half popular and had an issue with Garrosh to put in the spot and Vol'jin got the job as placeholder.

You then had him absent in WoD and Kosak wasted no time in getting rid of him to put Sylvanas in in Legion. This despite the beta content implying he was going to survive and go off into Zandalar, which is the only plotline where he'd have far more to do than any other Horde character. Everything since then has been Blizzard first using him to try and suture what was plainly intended to be a genuine vision on Vol'jin's part into him being tricked to position their Sylvanas plot in BFA and then the next set of writers quickly hacking out some kind of ending for him in SL to try and at least cap off his story.

I don't really care about Vol'jin one way or another these days, even if I thought he was a raging moron in Cata and Mists, but he did get dicked. Not as bad as say, Ner'zhul, but really dire stuff.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.