Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    It was ok, brought some nostalgia and 2-3 cool moments.

6/10

2/10 - and that feels generous.

The Wachowski have been riding on the Matrix 1 and V for Vendetta (technically not their movie as its based on a comic) for too long. All of their movies have this unfocused, nonsensical feel... People like to claim some deeper meaning, but they aren't that smart, (you) are likely smarter than the Wachowskis and you should stop looking for meaning in their movies.

10+ Year Old Account
    I see people are confused about Agent Smith.

Remember Smith is not allied with the Matrix of the governing body of the machines. He broke away from them and wants out of the Matrix. He also does not like humans.

The Machines/Analyst brought back Smith when they brought back Neo to be Neo's jailer. We already know agents can't contain Neo but Smith has a chance. Smith was not a willing participant, and like Neo he was unaware of his real self.

When Smith becomes lucid all he wants to do is break out so he hunts Neo hoping if he is fast enough that it will lead to his freedom. He is also at the mercy of the machines so he must play along until an alternative opportunity arises.

He then realizes that the machines aren't going to actually kill Neo. They can't because they desperately need Neo. Neo is the key to his escape, the enemy of my enemy is my friend . New plan, aid Neo in taking down the Analyst first, achieve independence, then escape. The machines surely won't let him go because to them is a fugitive that only hasn't been deleted because he is useful.

Back to what his motivations are. The state of real world is: cooperation between some machines and humans, a hostile rogue faction of machines, and what I'm assuming is the central power that deemed it necessary to bring Neo and Trinity back to power the Matrix (I don't think these machines are bad but trying to survive. Remember the Matrix is not bad or evil and not everyone wants out). Smith would most likely side with the hostile machines. We don't know but I'll just assume those machines hate humans and want to enslave/kill all of them. They also hate the Matrix, probably because DSI like Smith were forced to work in it or that it's too 'nice' for the humans. If we see a Matrix 5 it will probably handle the conflict in the real world with Smith definitely being free attacking every but the hostile machines.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

I mean Cornel West was so impressed with the Matrix, and that led to him meeting the Wachowskis, being impressed with them.....and ending up as a cameo on the Council of Zion for the 2nd and 3rd movies.

If Cornel West thinks they've got a good grasp on stuff, I believe him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Saw it today. And i really don't think it's a good movie.
    casting, story, athmosphere, cinematography ... everything just felt wrong. I don't know how to put it in words, but the entertainment was just missing. Watching home alone on christmas eve is more entertaining.
    There was just nothing new, epic & exciting - story wasn't good, actors didn't feel right ...
    The first matrix movie had all of it.

I loved what happened with trinity though, well deserved, she's a badass - but the way & story to go there just felt soooooo bad.

Truly an awful movie. Like bad fan fiction made for the SYFY channel.

Super disappointed. 1st trailer made me think it might have promise.

Nope. 2/10.

Not only is it an awful movie, it somehow managed to make the original movies worse.

I'm not even sure how to express how much I hate this movie and how much it says about how shit hollywood and Warner Bros are now days.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    2/10 - and that feels generous.

The Wachowski have been riding on the Matrix 1 and V for Vendetta (technically not their movie as its based on a comic) for too long. All of their movies have this unfocused, nonsensical feel... People like to claim some deeper meaning, but they aren't that smart, (you) are likely smarter than the Wachowskis and you should stop looking for meaning in their movies.
    Yup, Matrix 1 and V for Vendetta and I'd imagine they didn't have large creative control over either (1 was their first real movie, 1 was not their material). Matrix 2 was okay. I wouldn't call it trash.

Everything else they've made is trash and this new Matrix is the flaming dumpster on top of that pile of trash.
    Last edited by Mojo03; 2021-12-24 at 01:23 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo03 View Post
    Truly an awful movie. Like bad fan fiction made for the SYFY channel.

Super disappointed. 1st trailer made me think it might have promise.

Nope. 2/10.

Not only is it an awful movie, it somehow managed to make the original movies worse.

I'm not even sure how to express how much I hate this movie and how much it says about how shit hollywood and Warner Bros are now days.

- - - Updated - - -

Yup, Matrix 1 and V for Vendetta and I'd imagine they didn't have large creative control over either (1 was their first real movie, 1 was not their material). Matrix 2 was okay. I wouldn't call it trash.

Everything else they've made is trash and this new Matrix is the flaming dumpster on top of that pile of trash.
    How does it change the original trilogy?

If anything it fixes the ending. The ending of 4 is bad. The ending is terrible.

I liked the beginning, the whole "am I crazy?" angle was actually pretty original and good. However, I'm now at the obligatory fight with Smith, and... yeah that's been done to death. I've seen Neo fight hundreds of Smiths at once. I've seen punches thrown that look like nuclear bombs when they hit.
    There's no stakes left in this conflict unless they introduce something more than "two exactly evenly matched people fight endlessly".

Now I'm onto the next part and it feels like the 2nd and 3rd movies. Basically there's way too much to fit in a single film. We have a minor character from one of the earlier films coming back and becoming Basil Exposition, laying out a long convoluted plan dealing with a problem we just don't understand that well because it was just introduced 2 minutes ago.

Large fight, convoluted fight, somehow Smith can stop Barney Stinson and then totally predictable 2021 girlpower moment.

Overall this movie was a convoluted mess. Too much in one film, needed to be a much longer series with a lot more detail fleshed out.
    Last edited by Coniferous; 2021-12-24 at 03:27 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I wish some of the people here posting negative reviews would give more in-depth thoughts than "it was bad" or "the story sucked."

Like can you guys maybe elaborate a bit on what you thought was wrong with it? Pacing, writing, acting, cinematography?
    Last edited by Kathranis; 2021-12-24 at 04:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    I wish someone of the people here posting negative reviews would give more in-depth thoughts than "it was bad" or "the story sucked."

Like can you guys maybe elaborate a bit on what you thought was wrong with it? Pacing, writing, acting, cinematography?
    The Bad

Camera angles and pretty much everything camera-wise
    fighting scenes
    references to previous movies felt forced and unfunny and/or uncool

The Good

The beginning and montage of Neo making the videogame with the White Rabbit music
    New Morpheos was pretty cool too
    (nothing more IMO)

10+ Year Old Account
    I wish someone of the people here posting negative reviews would give more in-depth thoughts than "it was bad" or "the story sucked."

I don't hate the movie but I think the ending is trash. They established a real cool plot in the beginning and presented some questions that fit well with the movie. There's the morality of the the machines doing their thing necessary to survive, the reality of the Matrix and what it means to the programs, the morality of Zion and the choices all lifeforms do or don't get to make for themselves.

Questions about what's 'real' and what matters. Then they introduce this conflict that arose within the machines and something that led to Zion being attacked, then another truce/peace? There's othet stuff too. Then the ending sort of just glosses all over that. Trinity just drops her Matrix life after, fine but they spent so much time talking about what's real and what's not only for her to drop them in 5 sec and not go through the existential crisis Neo did the entire movie. Then she goes badass, which is actually dope but it is out of nowhere and it looked like a gag that they said, "screw it, we'll run with it". And then the movie is just over. And and the editing and cinematography took a noticeable hit that feels like "we have to wrap up ASAP!"

Theres an after credit scene. It's just a tongue in cheek call back to the first act.

I feel like scenes were cut out for time.

This movie doesn't need to exist and that's its biggest problem. The weak ass, very self-deprecating, explanations as to why it does that are in the film itself don't make it okay.

The story was over. Done. If you wanted to tell more stories about the Matrix, fine, but including Neo and Trinity is just baffling and logic-defying given they died.

My biggest complaint though, the fight scenes were uninspired and lame as hell. I can accept a dumb and convoluted story to justify the existence of the movie if the fighting and acting are good. Something that was unique to the original 3 films was the apparent weightlessness of the fights, which was believable as it was all a simulation anyway. That's all gone. The fights have no weightlessness now. Basically every fight was standard action movie trash before Neo uses the force abruptly to one shot whoever he was up against and some guy delivers a line like "whoa look it's really Neo!!"

And I did mention the acting. Outside of NPH, YAM 2, and Henwick the performances were seemingly uninspired. Keanu looked bored in every scene, his line delivery was not the greatest. Most of the dialogue that was delivered was appropriately wooden.

Y'know, if The Force Awakens gets shit for being too derivative of Episode 4, this movie absolutely deserves the same shit. Basically a remake of the original film with some slight changes.
    Last edited by korijenkins; 2021-12-24 at 04:22 AM.

The picture on the top is Matrix 1

The picture on the bottom is Matrix 4

Everything you need to know

10+ Year Old Account
    Why is Spider-Man pooping on that little spider

I wish some of the people here posting negative reviews would give more in-depth thoughts than "it was bad" or "the story sucked."

The pacing and the story. It's just waaay too much packed into one movie and there's not enough explanation. Like, so somehow, Smith can beat the agent but the agent can beat Neo but Neo can beat Smith? It may have been explained but if so I missed it. Way too many low stakes fight scenes where a shitton of people are running around but you can't even tell who is who half the time. And by the way, what happened to Smith? The scene where they have a plan to help Trinity escape is terrible - they just have a random extra from the first movie show up and announce a plan about how to get into a place that we know nothing about, and then the plan just works. It's just way too much stuff to fit in one movie.
    Last edited by Coniferous; 2021-12-24 at 06:35 AM.

Is the dialog as clunky as the trailers make it out to be?

The one thing that absolutely needed to matter above all else was the fight scenes and they were terrible.

They made iron fist look like high art in comparison.

I can’t overstate how bad all the fights were in this movie.

Distractingly bad:
    The cast: Everyone felt like a caricature of cast members in the first movie. The best way to put it is it feels like a parody or sci-fi knock off version of the Matrix. Everyone phone's in their performance as well. Losing Weaving and Fishbourne really .... really hurt this movie. I fact comparing to the OG cast and the trilogy cast, there is no one here that could even carry being a leading co-star, let alone a major character. I don't blame the actors though as its likely more to do with... Should add that nu-smith and Barney are not really great and don't fit into the movie with their performance. The Architect was omnipotent, calm, collected, direct; Agent Smith was forceful, threatening, even when being mundane. Barney is wishy-washy, insincere, lacks conviction; Nu-Smith is awkward, completely docile. Nu-smith would have been better as Barney and Barney should have been gone... or could have played Keanu's fat, annoying assistant.

Direction - seriously this movie is a mess. The scope is far to large, in the OGs we got to know characters, they said intelligent things that let you know that they've been living this war for a long time, etc. In this movie background characters are just noise, and main characters just exposition dump. Nothing is given time to sit, there are no mysteries, its just bs after bs...

Cinematography: most of this movie looks like a 2010 commercial. Cheap looking obvious sets, no after editing to make everything fit in, it looks like you are iPhone recording the sound stage directly.

The Wachowski's being "Meta":
    There is a painful montage like 20 minutes into the movie where they talk about "remaking/making a sequel" for the Matrix. Its fucking awful and should have been cut. There are multiple lines of dialog alluding to real world issues and "npc" memes that backfire spectacularly. As I said before, the Wachowski's fancy themselves far more clever than they really are, this movie tries really hard to show how clever they are but it all comes off really forced and transparent.

Not so distracting but still kind of bad:
    Story: bad pacing, too much jammed into one movie... multiple hard turns. The conflict is explained but not really, and it makes it difficult to tell who is on what side or if the conflict was explained correctly at all.
    The overall gist is that Neo coming into contact with the Machine city inadvertently freed a number of machines, kind of the same way as Agent Smith. These freed machines started causing issues with eachother, and there seems to be 3 factions. The first Faction is the Architect, who seemed to hold on to the deal Neo made, which caused the Matrix to not run as efficiently, causing a supply/energy shortage for the machines. A second faction which include Barney(analyst) and his unknown bosses (the suits) rise up to take control of the Matrix back and to further force the humans back underheel to fix the energy situation) and the third group is freed machines who want to work with the humans in the real world... its possible these may be remnants of the architect faction as its said both he and the oracle disappeared, but that isn't clear... and wouldn't make total sense anyway. There are a few other ways this could be interpreted, regardless its brushed over in movie and isn't really that important. Same with morpheus being a program written by neo that also has him as half agent Smith, which you get hints at in one scene but is never brought up again....

Ohh yeah and as @minkage said, the action scenes are god awful... even the "remade" action scene from the first movie looks way worse.
    Last edited by StillMcfuu; 2021-12-24 at 04:20 PM.

A horrible horrible movie.

Don't waste your time, wait for it to come out on netflix