PC Crashing Constantly

Hey all,

Whenever I start my pc it crashes 1-2 times before eventually booting. I get various codes from memory management error to page fault inn non paged area. When it does finally work games will crash constantly.

I believe it's an issue with my OS SSD, but before I start dumping money into new parts I thought I'd ask here.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    What kind of error logs are you getting in the event viewer under system?

sounds like a bad RAM stick could also be the issue, no spare HDD to boot from and test? How many RAM sticks can you take out 2 at a time and see?
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Can you run diagnostics from your bios? That should help to pin down something wrong with any of your hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by Mars_Trueskills View Post
    What kind of error logs are you getting in the event viewer under system?
    The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
    : The embedded controller (EC) returned data when none was requested. The BIOS might be trying to access the EC without synchronizing with the operating system. This data will be ignored. No further action is necessary; however, you should check with your computer manufacturer for an upgraded BIOS.

Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    sounds like a bad RAM stick could also be the issue, no spare HDD to boot from and test? How many RAM sticks can you take out 2 at a time and see?
    I can try this. Did a mem diagnostic with no issues. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    Can you run diagnostics from your bios? That should help to pin down something wrong with any of your hardware.
    Did a mem diagnose with no issues.

I forgot to mention my OS SDD is full, it's an old 120gb, would moving the OS to a bigger drive help?
    Last edited by Strange One; 2022-01-05 at 08:34 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I assume "mem diagnose" is just the Windows one? If so I'd advise booting into memtest86 and running that.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerph- View Post
    I assume "mem diagnose" is just the Windows one? If so I'd advise booting into memtest86 and running that.
    No errors booting from the usb.

Thank you tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Dickweed View Post
    Hey all,

Whenever I start my pc it crashes 1-2 times before eventually booting. I get various codes from memory management error to page fault inn non paged area. When it does finally work games will crash constantly.

I believe it's an issue with my OS SSD, but before I start dumping money into new parts I thought I'd ask here.
    How old is the PC? Sounds like old degrading capacitor issue where it needs for some capacitors warm up from a cold boot to become stable.
    Last edited by Yizu; 2022-01-07 at 04:51 AM.

I tested the ram in a spare pc in diff configs. and never saw the issue repeat. So I purchased a new ssd, and moved the OS and that seems to of fixed it but i'm still getting weird slow downs.

Quote Originally Posted by Yizu View Post
    How old is the PC? Sounds like old degrading capacitor issue where it needs for some capacitors warm up from a cold boot to become stable.
    CPU/mobo/ram are around 5 years old, the ssd in question is about 8, the PSU/GPU are about a year old.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you have 2 RAM sticks:
    Try booting it with only one, each one time.

So you know if it is a RAM issue or not.

If you have access to another SSD or HHD, try to boot it with it.

So you know if it is your SSD.

I had a quite new SSD go bad once. There was simply no way to make it work, it would freeze up at booting. Managed to format it and reinstall windows, it would keep doing it, so I had to simply replace it for a new one.

Could be your Mobo battery (is it an older computer?)

Also make sure if you have 2 memory sticks and 4 slots, install them in what looks like slot 1 and 3, not in 1 and 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    Also make sure if you have 2 memory sticks and 4 slots, install them in what looks like slot 1 and 3, not in 1 and 2.
    I have 4 x 8gb sticks. Tested each individually using memtest 86 in a spare pc with no issues found.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post

Do you have a page file set to the boot drive? Could be the issue if it’s outta space…
    Page file is still set to to the old c drive, i'll set it to the new one and see if it works. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dickweed View Post
    I have 4 x 8gb sticks. Tested each individually using memtest 86 in a spare pc with no issues found.

Page file is still set to to the old c drive, i'll set it to the new one and see if it works. Thank you.
    If you happen to have a friend with a extra one or have one yourself you could also test another power supply just to be sure nothing wrong with the power.

Quote Originally Posted by Strange One View Post
    Test them IN your PC. The memory might be good but if it throws errors in your PC, it might tell you if you have a bad/dead DIMM slot or even bad memory controller.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Test them IN your PC. The memory might be good but if it throws errors in your PC, it might tell you if you have a bad/dead DIMM slot or even bad memory controller.
    Will do.

But tearing my my pc is a lot of work. It'll be a day job to test but I'll do this next.

Quote Originally Posted by Strange One View Post
    I forgot to mention my OS SDD is full, it's an old 120gb, would moving the OS to a bigger drive help?
    This is most likely the cause, if it is completely full. Windows loves to throw lots of temp files around, and reserve huge amounts of space for virtual memory and such. If the OS drive hits 100% it can cause windows to have a fit. Also, most SSDs start to slow down when they have less than 5% free, so I'd definitely recommend getting a bigger drive for the boot drive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Issue with your RAM, especially since you said you have 4 sticks which is always a bit more difficult to get configured correctly rather than 2.

Disable XMP and/or try increasing the voltage to the RAM ever so slightly.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    Issue with your RAM, especially since you said you have 4 sticks which is always a bit more difficult to get configured correctly rather than 2.

Disable XMP and/or try increasing the voltage to the RAM ever so slightly.
    It was indeed the ram, I ran memtest86 with each individual stick and got 2 passes, 1 with 1000+errors and 1 where the pc wouldnt even start. Both the faulty sticks were a set, which make my think I got a shoddy batch.