The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    They also just had a second interview with Dan Quinn, and it doesn't. Unless their plan is to embrace mediocrity.
    Quinn really doesn't make sense for the Broncos. Unless he's got an ace OC up his sleeve and a plan for the QB position.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Quinn really doesn't make sense for the Broncos. Unless he's got an ace OC up his sleeve and a plan for the QB position.
    He and Hackett are in a final three with O'Connell.

Which is frankly bonkers because he's so completely unlike either of them.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    Yeah but every team has games like that, we lost to the Giants, Washington and the Bears. We could have been 13-4 and a split with the Chiefs series and we're #1 seed.

Once you're in the playoffs, that has to be put aside and just focus on the games you have.

Take it from the franchise that's spent 20 years playing "What if" That way madness lies.
    I mean... Bills fans are no strangers to "what if" you know...
    /s

This is the same organization that hired Vance Joseph despite defenses declining when he coached then, and improved after he left. Makes perfect sense when you also remember George Paton was with the Vikings for 14 years.

I'm honestly surprised Mike Zimmer wasn't one of their final choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    No, it isn't. The only reason the Bills didn't earn a spot in the championship game is because they lost to the Chiefs. It has fuck all to do with the Titans.
    Uhh it has everything to do with the titans for the reason they played each other in the divisional round, instead of having a chance to face each other in the championship round.

Claiming 2 teams that didn't even earn the top 2 seeds in their conference deserved to be the 2 teams in the super bowl is a laughable take. They got what they earned which was a matchup in the divisional round. KC got what they earned in winning and moving on. Trying to act like the bills got screwed over by being in the same conference is laughable.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hansworst View Post
    You can find it silly but the playoffs are all that matters. Sure you can be perfect in the season but ending regular season as number one seed doesn't win you anything, as has been proven this Saturday. I think it was a fair assessment claiming both the Bills and KC were the best teams in the playoffs this far.
    Good thing we don't crown champions based on who we feelcraft into being the best teams like old school college football. Jesus christ.

I am not at all messing around: if we are going to let OT resolve itself with basically what often com,es down to whoever wins the coin flip, I would rather have had Mahomes and Allen play best of three paper rock scissors. Has anyone seen those game shows in Japan where they have very intense PRS matches? We have literally seen OIT matches won on the first play with broken coverage. Its just not a good representation of either half of either team.

Play another 10 or 15 minutes.

10+ Year Old Account
    I still can't believe we saw 39 points scored in the final two minutes of the first and second halves of that game.

5 TDs and a FG, with one 2PC.

Hell, and there was that missed FG at the very end of the first half, too. Yeesh.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by Self Inflicted Wounds View Post
    We have literally seen OIT matches won on the first play with broken coverage. Its just not a good representation of either half of either team.

Play another 10 or 15 minutes.
    I mean it was a fair representation that neither defense could stop the other's offense at least. The more I think about it though, the Bills cost themselves this game with the stupid choice to kick it into the endzone instead of a squib kick or kicking it ALMOST to the end zone so the clock MUST run. The overtime rules are stupid so the Bills should have thought about that because they had a chance to make that overtime not happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    I mean it was a fair representation that neither defense could stop the other's offense at least. The more I think about it though, the Bills cost themselves this game with the stupid choice to kick it into the endzone instead of a squib kick or kicking it ALMOST to the end zone so the clock MUST run. The overtime rules are stupid so the Bills should have thought about that because they had a chance to make that overtime not happen.
    You're definitely not wrong. The Bills (and whoever loses in OT) always knows the rules. I just think it would be more interesting if they changed the rules. I was happy to see it after they changed how FGs interact in OT too.

10+ Year Old Account
    And the Bills didn’t think to squib kick at the end, which likely wins them the game at that point. It was wild.
    Yeah, I think everyone was shaking their heads at that. But man, how many of us thought it was likely that Mahomes would be able to put it together with 13 seconds?

I mean, I even said...
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    It ain't over yet...
    ...when I saw that kickoff sail into the endzone. But I sure as heck didn't think a FG was more than just a very slight possibility at that point.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

And the Bills didn’t think to squib kick at the end, which likely wins them the game at that point. It was wild.
    I know the NFL is all up on 4th down, (and I am here for it), are they up or down on squib kicks? They don't seem that common.

“Once the kick is legally touched by the receivers beyond 10 yards the clock starts,” said former NFL referee Gerry Austin. “If the receivers possess it standing and immediately goes to the ground or recovers and stays on the ground, one second is run off.”

So had the Bills squib kicked, the Chiefs still would have had 12 seconds to navigate into field goal range because they would have certainly just fallen on the ball.

By kicking the ball out of the endzone, Buffalo probably made the right choice. A squib kick is so unpredictable.

What if the kicker mis-hits the ball and it goes directly to a Chiefs player at say, the 40 or 35 yard line? That’s a huge 10-15 yard headstart to field goal range.

https://www.cbs17.com/sports/squib-k...at-the-chiefs/
    I didn't see the whole game I think I just watched OT.

I know the NFL is all up on 4th down, (and I am here for it), are they up or down on squib kicks? They don't seem that common.

I didn't see the whole game I think I just watched OT.
    Squib kick wasn’t the only option they could have instructed the kicker to try and land the ball just outside the endzone. Instead they booted out of it. Especially against the team that returns kicks at the highest % in the league. That whole sequence by the Bills was just incredibly bad. Kick it to entice them to return it, then they played a Def to stop the TD. Twice...

10+ Year Old Account
    Squib could have gone badly, if it's anticipated, the return team could just fall on it and give themselves up immediately with great field position and maybe 1 second taken off the clock.

And considering how well coached the Chiefs are, they probably already thought of it.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

10+ Year Old Account
    He'll probably hire Bevell so he can get fired mid season and Bevell can be interim coach for a 3rd team in 3 years.
    /s

You're definitely not wrong. The Bills (and whoever loses in OT) always knows the rules. I just think it would be more interesting if they changed the rules. I was happy to see it after they changed how FGs interact in OT too.
    I would like a change of the overtime rules as well. I just think in the case of the Bills/Chiefs game the Bills screwed themselves and let the game go to OT.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    I would like a change of the overtime rules as well. I just think in the case of the Bills/Chiefs game the Bills screwed themselves and let the game go to OT.
    I think "screw" is a harsh call, though. I disagreed with their decision not to try to lay the kickoff up inside the 10, but I don't think that forcing a touchback with 13 seconds left was some horrible call.

Wrong, yes, horrible, no. There were definitely advantages and disadvantages either way.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    I think "screw" is a harsh call, though. I disagreed with their decision not to try to lay the kickoff up inside the 10, but I don't think that forcing a touchback with 13 seconds left was some horrible call.

Wrong, yes, horrible, no. There were definitely advantages and disadvantages either way.
    Their defensive alignment was within their control. That awful prevent they ran was essentially playing for OT by doing nothing to stop the Chiefs from moving the ball. They wagered their game on a coin toss rather than try to play real defense for 13 seconds and got what they deserved.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Their defensive alignment was within their control. That awful prevent they ran was essentially playing for OT by doing nothing to stop the Chiefs from moving the ball. They wagered their game on a coin toss rather than try to play real defense for 13 seconds and got what they deserved.
    Well, okay, I thought you specifically meant the kickoff decision. The defensive decisions were another matter. I'll point out again, though, that the defenses were gassed at that point. They were going to be unlikely to be super effective, regardless.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, okay, I thought you specifically meant the kickoff decision. The defensive decisions were another matter. I'll point out again, though, that the defenses were gassed at that point. They were going to be unlikely to be super effective, regardless.
    I don't know why they'd be tired, neither defense really did anything in the final three minutes.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I don't know why they'd be tired, neither defense really did anything in the final three minutes.
    I mean, I know you're being sarcastic, but ineffective != inactive.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils