5+ Year Old Account
    jeff-goldblum-chin-scratch.jpg

hmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    Little late to this genre.
    As usual. HotS say hi.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    ehm. MMO's?
    Most of the world has atleast heard of World of Warcraft in passing. Something completely unimaginable for an MMO prior to WoW.
    So what you are saying is that if they made a survival game that the whole world had heard about they would then make that mainstream?

Because as a gamer mmo's where pretty mainstream prior to wow aswell.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    So long as its single player or single player friendly I'll give it a go. A little less Ark/Rust and a little more Subnautica. Valheims fun with the right mods.

"Survival" can mean a lot though.

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicPeon View Post
    What niche genre did they make mainstream exactly?
    MMOs.

But their knack wasn't to make niche games mainstream, it was to make games they liked accessible to everyone, mainstream or niche.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AcidicSyn View Post
    So long as its single player or single player friendly I'll give it a go. A little less Ark/Rust and a little more Subnautica. Valheims fun with the right mods.

"Survival" can mean a lot though.
    And Blizzard will have it's own unique spin on it as well.

I'm not very impressed with that mount tbh. Had the same critique about it last year. I requested the mounts looked more lively. Feels like such low ball effort going into them. This better not be an issue for next years mount, (which I want the typical cherub looking wings on that one. Reference Squeakers for an example.) before this deal goes through... if it goes through.

Anyways disappointment aside and on topic.. for this game idea. I do believe it is a little late like people are claiming. Riding the hype.. but! I do believe a lot of people would be interested in a survival game from Blizzard. I don't want to lie about it. I think it has the chance to succeed, a lot of gamers I know enjoy the genre. Depends on what the end product looks like ultimately..I would be more interested if it was online mmo aspect myself, or able to play with others in some way. (This is just me tho)

Quote Originally Posted by Beefhammer View Post
    MMOs.

But their knack wasn't to make niche games mainstream, it was to make games they liked accessible to everyone, mainstream or niche.

- - - Updated - - -

And Blizzard will have it's own unique spin on it as well.
    There where many well known mmo's before wow

It's announced today. 2-3 years of silence. News trickle out it's rebooted. 3-4 more years and it might get released but support is dropped fast if it doesn't immediatly catch eye after coming out of dev hell.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

collaborative team of experienced developers
    For now consists of one artist that drew that teaser picture, way to go, we'll see what they offer in 2024 at best

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicPeon View Post
    There where many well known mmo's before wow
    It was still a niche market. Being well known doesn't make the genre not niche. Very little played. EQ was by far the largest and had 350K subs tops.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by r0LanD View Post
    For now consists of one artist that drew that teaser picture, way to go, we'll see what they offer in 2024 at best
    The game is in a playable state currently. So no.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Eh I wouldn't say so. There isn't really one "survival game" that stands out as a real cultural icon, unless you count Minecraft as a survival game (which I don't). There's definitely room for a giant to come in and shake up the genre.
    yeah minecraft is literally a survival sandbox game...
    their main gamemode is literally called survival.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Great news, love survival games.

It was still a niche market. Being well known doesn't make the genre not niche. Very little played. EQ was by far the largest and had 350K subs tops.

- - - Updated - - -

The game is in a playable state currently. So no.
    I dont think you quite understand how anti niche that makes it. Wow is ana absolute freak of nature with its peak subs. 350k back then where a LOT when you know how much smaller the market was.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    I already have Valhiem in my life that I am kinda addicted to. Unless its got a theme that will capture me as much as that game. (which I doubt it)

If there's a solo mode survival with the option to bring in friends that would be great too, forced open world multiplayer survival I am not a fan of.
    by the time this comes out you will be sick of valheim likely. (this is not even close to being even showable, let alone releasing)

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    yeah minecraft is literally a survival sandbox game...
    their main gamemode is literally called survival.
    Mincraft brought voxel survival to the forefront, it's still one of the most popular games out there, and that person doesn't call it survival? like what?

I can't say I pegged Blizzard to move into the survival game space but this is the first new IP since OverWatch so I'm definitely interested to see where it goes. I could see something like TLoU with a high fantasy flair being right in Blizzard's lane.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dystemper View Post
    Name a big survival game everyone knows
    (As you go down the list they become less and less)
    Minecraft
    Rust
    Subnautica
    Dont starve
    Valheim
    Dayz
    ARK
    The Forest
    Conan exiles

As many people that say how blizzard brought wow to the mainstream, it was still kinda niche even at its peak... 12 million subs at the peak where as games like CoD and fifa do that yearly, every year.

Blizzard entertainment: late as ever. They were way too many years late to the MOBA craze, and now they're years way too late for the survival game genre.

Quote Originally Posted by Capultro View Post
    I don't want to be a spoilsport, I hope it's not a child's game or "fornite" style because then I don't even touch it with 1 stick...
    I have bad news for you...

Holy crap has Blizzard's artstyle become stale over the past decade. It began with MoP and Diablo 3, but by this point it has become bland and completely indistinguishable from the rest of the industry.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    So I guess this is what most of the remaining Heroes devs have transferred to over the past 12 months.
    I have to wonder what Samwise Didier is doing at Blizzard. Last I checked, he was working on HotS... which was put into maintenance mode. And the piece of art for this game doesn't look like something he'd do.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Wu View Post
    I've never seen a AAA studio announce a game like this, basically do a half-announcement and also beg for help from prospective devs in the same announcement.
    Actually not uncommon. MonolithSoft announced that they were working on an RPG (presumably Xenoblade 3) a few years back and put out a hiring call for it. And Square Enix announced that they were developing an RPG and put out a recruiting call for it as well, with that project turning out to be Final Fantasy 16.

This project screams like it's at risk of being cancelled due to the massive dev turnover they have been suffering since last year
    The staff turnover isn't even the biggest reason. For the past decade, there has been a managerial breakdown at Blizzard that has led to their production flatlining. Ghosts was cancelled. Titan languished in development hell for years before being cancelled (which led to staff leaving Blizzard due to how demoralizing it was to waste years on a project that never saw the light of day), with Overwatch barely being salvaged out of it. D3's second expansion was cancelled. D3, SC2, HotS, and OW1 have been put into maintenance mode. OW2 and D4 are stuck in development hell. The WoW team can't even manage to put out a minor patch once a year, and when they did it was incredibly bug ridden. Literally the only department at Blizzard that manages to churn out anything on time is the mobile card game team.

Quote Originally Posted by PixelFox View Post
    World of Minecraft.
    RIP Everquest Next.