Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    So, what's stopping me from creating 10 or so fale identities, create NFTs, and start selling them between these identities at increasing prices to fool the blockchain into thinking my NFT has increased in value, so when the first gullible guy thinking "this is raising, need to buy now to resell later" buys it from me i basically scammed him woth fale transactions.
    From everything I can tell, functionally nothing. And quite the contrary, that seems to be a feature/core function of the whole thing, not a glitch/bug.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    It's the random joes thinking "i can make money out of this if i buy right" that are the target of the NFT pyramid scheme.
    Yep, the types that think that you really can get rich quick, easily.

So it's literally a well constructed scam. Hope not many people gets fooled by this so it does after a while.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post
    Well, you having a picture of Mona Lisa does not reduce the price /value of the original painting. And it's not any physical property of the painting that makes it more valuable than hundreds of copies of it, that exist. Those copies may be better, in better state but they will still be worth pennies. The value of the painting comes from the fact there is only 1 original and collectors want to have originals.

The same principle is supposed to be applied to NFTs. Except the goods represented by NFTs have no value yet, are not publicly acclaimed (compared to the real art), often are procedurally generated, and only after their introduction creators try their spin doctoring to make enough noise around them so that everyone wants them and their value grows. It's like in the past artist first worked hard and tried to create a real piece of art, and after years this piece was gaining value and popularity. With NFTs it seems to have reversed - someone wants to just sell stuff so is "creating" just anything out of thin air, and then tries to convince people it has value

I imagine some people, who couldn't afford to become collectors of some real things, might get into it, as a cheap alternative. But most will just treat it as investment scheme, to make money of the former group.

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure what you mean by time period of degradation, but Ubisoft may already take cuts from the transactions for their NFTs
    A time period of degradation would be an agreed upon time where the value of the game drops to different levels so the people selling these games can't sell them for the full release price. So there would be a chart with the maximum amount of value you can get for resale down to the minimum based on so much passed time maybe it's 2 years maybe it's 1 year.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    From everything I can tell, functionally nothing. And quite the contrary, that seems to be a feature/core function of the whole thing, not a glitch/bug.

Yep, the types that think that you really can get rich quick, easily.
    A money launder's dream...

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    A money launder's dream...
    The whole of the crypto world is right now. So is a ton of shit like Twitch, where like 40 folks in Turkey just got pinched for using Bits gifted to streamers as a way to launder money.

This shit is just stupid, and seeing folks like Troy Baker shill some NFT voice thing from a company whose marketing department was lifting other folks voice without their approval or crediting them is hilarious. It's such an obvious grift yet every time some rich fuck like Baker gets backlash they pretend they're so ignorant about everything and well intentioned and doing a basic web search for NFT's is just SO HARD AND COMPLEX. I'm enjoying watching him getting dragged and ratioed hard while some other shitty VO is super thirsty in the responses trying to get some attention for their other shitty NFT that nobody cares about.

Fuck 'em all.

The whole of the crypto world is right now. So is a ton of shit like Twitch, where like 40 folks in Turkey just got pinched for using Bits gifted to streamers as a way to launder money.

This shit is just stupid, and seeing folks like Troy Baker shill some NFT voice thing from a company whose marketing department was lifting other folks voice without their approval or crediting them is hilarious. It's such an obvious grift yet every time some rich fuck like Baker gets backlash they pretend they're so ignorant about everything and well intentioned and doing a basic web search for NFT's is just SO HARD AND COMPLEX. I'm enjoying watching him getting dragged and ratioed hard while some other shitty VO is super thirsty in the responses trying to get some attention for their other shitty NFT that nobody cares about.

Fuck 'em all.
    I don't know who Troy Baker is, looked him up, seems like a lot of animation/video game voice work. I'm an old person. This guy means nothing to me.

Nevertheless, it seems like this NFT stuff is kind of a Ponzi scheme. Being able to artificially create scarcity is one thing, but inflation of price by selling to your own bots to sell the perceived value of a token is stupid AF.

I think the idea of user-created assets that can be sold in a specific game marketplace has potential. Frankly, the way the Ubisoft guy talked about their implementation was along those lines. I think that is great.

This other stuff is total bullshit though.

I don't mind items in games having unique IDs and being sellable on a specific market for either real money or virtual currency that you can then buy other stuff for. It is already happening in almost every MMO. Every other aspect of this, such as owning a digital picture on the internet, is just hillariously stupid.
    Last edited by Magnagarde; 2022-01-16 at 12:19 AM.

Cryptocurrencies are a cool idea. NFTs, as a concept, are a somewhat cool idea.

Unfortunately, lots of cool ideas simply do not work in the real world. It's not a functioning "currency" if its value ranges from US Dollar to Japanese Yen to Zimbabwean Dollar and back again over the course of a year.

The real problem I have with most of this stuff is that a whole heap of crypto/NFT transactions are literal children facilitating literal drug dealers/money launderers/assorted other criminals. BTC drew interest first as an easy way to buy drugs off the Silk Road, before it gained interest as a "legit currency", before it gained interest as an "investment", before it then gained interest as an easy pump and dump scheme for the Elon Musks of the world.

I'm sure it's fun to think you're getting one over on the big bad banks or whatever, but the fact remains that NFTs and Crypto the way they are currently implemented are simply virtual games of musical chairs, and the only way that you personally make any money out of your "investment" in a cryptocurrency is if someone else gets burned.

*snip*

Don't advertise shit here. -Edge
    Last edited by Edge-; 2022-01-29 at 07:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bbr View Post
    Probably the least surprising development. I guess now that they shipped the mini Atari last year after a long delay following its crowdfunding success they've gotta look for the next grift.

The entire “you could sell your items when your done!” Thing makes no sense to me. How is it any different than a RMAH like the one Blizzard tried with D3 and had to pivot away from?

https://www.finder.com.au/ubisoft-interview-nfts

Don't worry guys, it's not that we don't want NFT's and that Ubi offered a double joke of a hilariously pointless NFT, or that we have concerns about the impacts on the environment or anything. WE AREN'T SEEING THE ENDGAME HERE, and we just don't understand "what a digital secondary market can bring to us".

I already have a job, thanks. I don't want a second job making and/or buying/selling shitty NFTs.

Fuckin clown school of a company.

10+ Year Old Account
    People love NFTs until big companies start using them like independent cryptobros do. If NFTs are a good way to sign and verify ownership of digital data then of course commercial entities will use the tech to secure their products and services.

The spirit of NFTs is good. How they actually work isn't an a lot of the hype is just an evolution of pump and dump schemes. If course boards are going to cash in as well.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    People love NFTs until big companies start using them like independent cryptobros do.
    Naw man, outside of the cryptobros the internet has been mocking NFT's since they were first being minted using stolen DeviantArt posts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Naw man, outside of the cryptobros the internet has been mocking NFT's since they were first being minted using stolen DeviantArt posts.
    I keep having not so tech savvy people asking me about NFTs, usually with some FOMO driven misinformative stuff (often click bait) on Facebook or Twitter.

Everyone is afraid they are missing out on the early Bitcoin wave.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account

In fairness I'm betting the nft push is a very cynical greedy decision and not something employees probably care much about. On the other hand I never really trusted Cryptostuff or NFts. It just felt confusing AF and shady.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    I keep having not so tech savvy people asking me about NFTs, usually with some FOMO driven misinformative stuff (often click bait) on Facebook or Twitter.

Everyone is afraid they are missing out on the early Bitcoin wave.
    Totally, I've run into curious folks that didn't know what it was. But usually once you explain some of the basics and they're still confused and don't know what it is they start losing interest.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    In fairness I'm betting the nft push is a very cynical greedy decision and not something employees probably care much about. On the other hand I never really trusted Cryptostuff or NFts. It just felt confusing AF and shady.
    You'd win that bet: https://kotaku.com/ubisoft-devs-don-...the-1848215633

And the broader industry agrees (in terms of gamedev): https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming...urvey-results/

And yeah, crypto shit is insanely shady. A bunch of those early blockchain businesses came through our doors where I work some years back and I don't think we ended up working with any of them. Not because we didn't get picked or because we were too expensive or anything, they were flush with cash, but because every single one of them seemed beyond shady and we didn't want to get our reputation tangled up in it.

Every year it continues to seem like a smart decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    dunno why crypto seemed shady,volatile and risky yes sure,but i giggle everytime i remember my friend who used to pay for stuff with bitcoins,like food delivery and taxies,he spent milions of $ worth of it today around 2010