Page 1 of 3
LastLast

(Spoilers) So Blizzard really wants the Night Elf Souls to be destroyed in the maw

According to the new Wowhead post, there will be a dialogue between Tyrande and Sylvanas:

Pelagos: Sylvanas Windrunner. There can be no true justice without compassion and I can see your deeds bear the mark of the Jailer's influence, an influence we failed to contain.
    Pelagos: Then you know in your heart to whom you must answer, in trusting justice to your most fervent adversary.
    Pelagos: Are there any gathered here who object to this fate.
    Pelagos: So be it.
    Sylvanas: The Jailer did not control me. Death would be a merciful end Tyrande. However long it takes.
    Tyrande: What game do you play now Banshee?
    Tyrande: The Sylvanas I hunted would never submit to the blade of her enemy. Your newfound remorse might be genuine. There will be no peace for you Windrunner.
    Tyrande: The prisoner is in my charge now.
    Tyrande: Below lies the Maw. Every Soul lost in its depths, betrayed or condemned, you should find and send forth to the Arbiter. You will toil there under Dori'thur's watchful eye. This is how you shall bring renewal to your victims. <Darnassian>, old friend. Watch her well.
    Pelagos: The time for your judgment is at hand.
    Sylvanas: My actions were mine alone and I accept their consequences and I do not expect your mercy.
    Tyrande: But it can never erase all you have done. Until there is peace for the souls of your victims.
    Tyrande: Bring her.
    Tyrande: An unjust fate to which you doomed so many. And it will be there that your penance begins. To be judged with the compassion all souls deserve. Scouring every darkened reach until the final soul is free and you are all that remains and my people.
    Tyrande: It shall be done.

----------------

So here Tyrande tells Sylvanas that she has to go to the maw and free the souls she condemned to it... except the Night Elf souls:

"Scouring every darkened reach until the final soul is free and you are all that remains and my people."

Back in the Ardenweald campaign in 9.0, we freed a small fraction of the Night Elf souls (around 100), but many many more than 100 died. Over 900 died in Teldrassil alone, and many many more in Ashenvale and Darkshore.
    We never went back to free the remaining vast majority of the Night Elf Souls in the maw, and now Tyrande says that Sylvanas has to free every soul but leave her (Tyrande's) people in the maw to rot?
    Or is the implying that the souls of her people are already obliterated and that only their soul ash / anima remains, and thus she refers to her people remaining in the maw.

It doesn't really make sense, it seems like Blizzard is so obsessed with making the Night Elves suffer and not giving them any positive development that they forgot that it would be extremely out of character for Tyrande to advocate for her people to remain in the maw. If anything, she should be telling Sylvanas to free the Night Elf souls first because she condemned them to this place which would be the opposite of what she's actually doing.

Blizzard has been trying very hard to not give the Night Elves any positive development in both BfA and Shadowlands and thus it's obvious that the Night Elf Souls (and thus the vast majority of the Night Elf race) would end up getting obliterated in the maw instead of freed, but now even Tyrande says that Sylvanas should free all souls except the Night Elf souls... what?

I think you're looking into it a bit too much.

It's just the dialogue not being checked properly before going up on the PTR. It's really janky.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    I think you're looking into it a bit too much.

It's just the dialogue not being checked properly before going up on the PTR. It's really janky.
    The thing is that this dialogue (along with cinematic) is coming out in 6 days, so it's absolutely finished already.

I'm not usually a big fan of 'wait and see' because Blizz has burned all their goodwill, but wowhead is notorious for not getting the voice-lines right

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ethriel View Post
    The thing is that this dialogue (along with cinematic) is coming out in 6 days, so it's absolutely finished already.
    But wowhead ALWAYS screws up the audio translations.
    Twas brillig

Didnt elune want her people to die to feed her sister, or some such drivel?

Perhaps that is why tyrande wants the nelf souls to stay... in the newly reformed and improved maw post-jailer?...

Doesnt make much sense either way.

This sentence just sounds like some words are missing.

Your people what, Tyrande ? YOUR PEOPLE WHAT ??

Quote Originally Posted by DatToffer View Post
    This sentence just sounds like some words are missing.

Your people what, Tyrande ? YOUR PEOPLE WHAT ??
    Well, Sylvanas has to free souls until only she and the Night Elf souls are left in the maw (according to this line).

Is Tyrande refering to the soul ash / anima that is left of her people?

I don't think it means that at all. The NE's would not be left behind. Tyrande would want them to be the first ones freed.
    Desktop ------------------------------- Laptop- Asus ROG Zephyrus G14
    AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPU ---------------AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS with Radeon 680M graphics
    AMD RX 6600XT GPU -------------------AMD Radeon RX 6800S discrete graphics
    16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM ----------------16 GB DDR5-4800 RAM
    1 TB WD Black SN770 NVMe SSD ------1 TB WD Black SN850 NVMe SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Dch48 View Post
    I don't think it means that at all. The NE's would not be left behind. Tyrande would want them to be the first ones freed.
    Realisitcally yes... but in the dialogue she says that Sylvanas should just leave the Night Elf Souls behind...

I get that Blizzard really really wants the Night Elf Souls to be destroyed, but this is just nonsense

"You are all that remains and my people" doesn't make sense as a sentence. Clearly there is an ending missing like "and my people are free",

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    "You are all that remains and my people" doesn't make sense as a sentence. Clearly there is an ending missing like "and my people are free",
    That's how I interpret it, too. Datamined content is prone to have errors or work in progress, don't judge these things until they're actually out.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    From the voiceover it seems more like they are two different sentences. It's not the first time datamined voicelines are incomplete or in the wrong order. Nothing to read into here until its live.

Well, Sylvanas has to free souls until only she and the Night Elf souls are left in the maw (according to this line).

Is Tyrande refering to the soul ash / anima that is left of her people?
    Yes but this transcription might be based on lines that are cut off.

Just adding a short phrase to the end of that sentence would fix it.

Scouring every darkened reach until the final soul is free and you are all that remains and my people are at peace

Otherwise it's completely counterintuitive that Tyrande would be sending her down into the maw to seek penance by freeing every soul except Night Elves. In what world does that make sense?

Realisitcally yes... but in the dialogue she says that Sylvanas should just leave the Night Elf Souls behind...

I get that Blizzard really really wants the Night Elf Souls to be destroyed, but this is just nonsense
    I don't think she does say that. It clearly says "The final soul is free". To me that means all of them.
    Desktop ------------------------------- Laptop- Asus ROG Zephyrus G14
    AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPU ---------------AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS with Radeon 680M graphics
    AMD RX 6600XT GPU -------------------AMD Radeon RX 6800S discrete graphics
    16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM ----------------16 GB DDR5-4800 RAM
    1 TB WD Black SN770 NVMe SSD ------1 TB WD Black SN850 NVMe SSD

This is what bothers me the most.
    Because the truth is that this is not a "punishment" or a "revenge" against Sylvanas.

But the thing is, it doesn't heal the Kaldorei.

For some reason Tyrande got neither revenge nor renewal.
    I can make you accept that AGAIN the Kaldorei sacrifice themselves for others and instead of claiming justice they let her help heal.
    But at least she takes out the soul before.

It especially doesn't make sense since the NE souls are already out in Ardenweald

It especially doesn't make sense since the NE souls are already out in Ardenweald
    Some of them.

We only rescued, like, 30 souls in one of Torghast's rooms and a handful of specifics from the Maw itself during the NF campaign. The weekly quest and Torghast clears weren't exactly targeting NE souls, just whoever we came across.
    confirmed by my uncle nitnendo and masahiro samurai

Quote Originally Posted by Bwgmon View Post
    Some of them.

We only rescued, like, 30 souls in one of Torghast's rooms and a handful of specifics from the Maw itself during the NF campaign. The weekly quest and Torghast clears weren't exactly targeting NE souls, just whoever we came across.
    I thought this was just visual limitations and that we got like a shit ton of them.

So here Tyrande tells Sylvanas that she has to go to the maw and free the souls she condemned to it... except the Night Elf souls:

"Scouring every darkened reach until the final soul is free and you are all that remains and my people."

Back in the Ardenweald campaign in 9.0, we freed a small fraction of the Night Elf souls (around 100), but many many more than 100 died. Over 900 died in Teldrassil alone, and many many more in Ashenvale and Darkshore.
    We never went back to free the remaining vast majority of the Night Elf Souls in the maw, and now Tyrande says that Sylvanas has to free every soul but leave her (Tyrande's) people in the maw to rot?
    Or is the implying that the souls of her people are already obliterated and that only their soul ash / anima remains, and thus she refers to her people remaining in the maw.
    Sylvanas is the subject of the sentence "You are all that remains..." so we know Sylvanas is staying there. Then we have a conjunction that includes "my people." It's not a compound subject, because the conjunction is after the subject and verb have been specified. It's not a compound sentence, because there's not a second sentence adjoining the first. And it's not a compound object, because we have no other object to the sentence. Thus, it's just a badly written sentence with no clear meaning as to what the phrase "the people" is doing.

Considering that the final soul must be freed, it seems very unlikely that there's any implication that the night elf souls are intended to remain in the Maw, given that doing so implies that there would be souls that are not freed.

I thought this was just visual limitations and that we got like a shit ton of them.
    Elune confirms that not in her cinematic

--- snip ---

Mod Edit: "Naming and shaming," in this case exposing official player identities, isn't permitted.
    Last edited by Aucald; 2022-03-23 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Removed player ID